As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Strider] - Metroidvania fans come hither!

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Games and Technology
Take me to your boss!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAQbh00CcJU

Available on Steam, PSN and XBLA, Strider is the latest take on the classic Capcom IP by Double Helix, the result of merging Foundation 9 with Shiny. In an alternate future, the world and Eurasia in particular, has been conquered by Grandmaster Meio, who sits on the throne of communist empire Kazahk. Hiryu, the youngest Strider to achieve Special-A status, is the latest Strider tasked with assassinating Meio where other Striders have failed.

Double Helix merged all the gameplay elements one could associate with the Strider games into one intense Metroidvania. The key here is that there are really only three different games with which Double Helix has to work.

The first is the obscure NES title. This is where Strider gets is Metroidvania elements. Hiryu starts off with nothing but his sword and works his way to getting fancier toys, such as Gravity Boots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efJPvlfcVYs

The second is the Arcade/Mega Drive game. In this game, players would mash A and watch everything die, and Hiryu gets wall crawling immediately. Back in the day, this led to outstanding interactivity and some nail-biting action sequences. I played this game when I was too young to understand that the attack was actually Hiryu swinging a sword. I beat it only once later on in life. And watching playthroughs now, I'm not sure how I did it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZwzRRHn53k

It was the Marvel vs Capcom series that brought Hiryu back from a long hiatus, sporting a fabulous scarf and his modern aesthetics. There is also a very obscure Strider 2 game on PSX, and a sequel for Sega Genesis that nobody talks about. Just don't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fMAbQh8rC4

The key about this new Strider, is that it merges all of these games. From the moment you start the game, Hiryu is every bit the rampaging, wall crawling glass canon he was from the Arcade/SEGA game. The playing field is immediately open to a lot of exploration yet players still seek out upgrades that open up new areas while making the combat and platforming more entertaining. His animations are mostly derived from MvC, but an interesting change here is that his scarf is now a translucent aura of plasma. As players unlock new plasmas, the scarf changes color to indicate what element they have selected, giving his sword and kunai new effects which I will not spoil. Hiryu is also more menacing, and less bishounen.

Post-game unlockables are found as items within the game, which include concept art, pallate swaps, and stages for two different score based modes, Survival and Beacon Run. Survival is a gauntlet where players must test their combat skills. Beacon Run is where players must use Hiryu's outstanding platforming arsenal to run through areas for time while cutting through or outright evading enemies set up to troll players. Scores for each go on leaderboards where players can compare times.

There is an achievement for a four hour speed run, so take that how you will. My first run on Normal took almost six hours, with 65% item collection. Rather than attempt the Speed Run next, I'm attempting Hard Mode.

Reviews are full of joy. Steam also sports Double Helix's Dev Library for details on the development of the game.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm going to want to start this game soon, but so far I can't get it working right. The resolution looks all squished when I set it to full screen, and I demand full 1080p glory.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm going to want to start this game soon, but so far I can't get it working right. The resolution looks all squished when I set it to full screen, and I demand full 1080p glory.

Huh. I'm not having any problems on Steam at 1080 but Total Biscuit described similar problems. Also, the end-game was wild enough to cause my machine to chug, but then I realized I had anti-alising on the whole time, and I never care about that. Turning it off seemed to do the trick.

Here's TB's video. It might be an NVidia setting bug, according to him.

Cantido on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Thanks. I was wonder what this was (remake, or what) since I didn't hear anything till it showed up on the Xbox dash.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Really liking it so far, though I think I should have started on hard.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Really liking it so far, though I think I should have started on hard.

Oh indeed, coming from the game where the slightest pinprick sent Hiryu flying, I couldn't help but feel guilty soaking up hits.

If it makes you feel better, look on the top left of the screen. There is a Charge Meter that goes up when scoring hits and goes down with damage. Filling it all the way activates a super mode and there is an achievement for doing it twenty five times. Its really difficult filling that gauge, so its a good way to challenge yourself. I've only done it a few times.

EDIT - Double Helix must enjoy NES Strider more than I do. I just noticed a lot of the NES tracks are remade in this game.

Cantido on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I love the thread title. :D

I got the game a few days ago and liked what I played.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'm starting my Hard run, and the difficulty is just right.

Furthermore, I now realize I missed many early collectibles that were available early on because they were hidden in a really clever fashion:
    When you gain your Charged Strike, that attack goes through walls. If you are on the other side of a door and the Novo gate that takes the charged hit is on the opposite side of the door, you are supposed to hitbox-glitch and do a charged shot right through.

The part that takes the charged hit is based on the arcade game's sub boss in stage 1, Novo. Its health meter is now a power measurement :D

120px-Novo.png

Cantido on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    To go with the retro music tracks are the unlockables which look like 'POW' blocks that were directly lifted from the original.

This game is good. I haven't been able to play in a couple days, though, so I'm more than ready to get back to it.

I'm playing on normal difficulty, which starts out easy, but gradually increases. By the third boss, things become noticeably harder. I think they've done a pretty good job as far as difficulty progression goes. Abilities are gained regularly and the game has no qualms about crushing you until you absorb Strider's new moves into your tactics.

And if the game isn't hard enough, some of the challenges seem really masochistic.

• Options
    That Total Biscuit review hits on the exact problem I'm having with the resolution. Booooo.

Hopefully by the time I'm done with Bravely Default it will be fixed.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I never played the Genesis sequel or the arcade/PS1 sequel; what does this take from those?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I was checking the Comic Con video yesterday and I think it mostly borrows from the NES version but it uses art from the more recent games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzjPnwzVZOU

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I never played the Genesis sequel or the arcade/PS1 sequel; what does this take from those?

Strider's attacks, movements and wall crawling are derived from the Arcade/Sega game.

If you watch the arcade video, you'll see that's the Strider that got thrust into a Metroidvania. He can attack as fast as players can mash the attack button, slide, and climb any surface immediately.

• Options
    Update: setting my resolution to 1920x1080x59 in the nvidia panel fixes my goofy resolution problems so yay!

I played for a little bit tonight once I got it running. Really enjoying it so far, but it suffers from Sonic Syndrome. For how fast you move, the camera is zoomed in way too damn close.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ive been loving this game so far. Best 2.5D Metroidvania since Shadow Complex IMO. Beat the last of the four winds ladies today. She was kind of a pain in the butt with her vortex attack.

Explosive kunai are badass!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

Strider's attacks, movements and wall crawling are derived from the Arcade/Sega game.

If you watch the arcade video, you'll see that's the Strider that got thrust into a Metroidvania. He can attack as fast as players can mash the attack button, slide, and climb any surface immediately.

Right, I know about the original arcade game, I even have the disc that got mislabeled with Strider 2 when that's what I was trying to buy (there was only one disc being sold). It's the sequels I don't know anything about, and I thought you said the new game even incorporates stuff from those?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I just beat Strider on PC. The new one that is.

That whole thing just felt like awesome. I haven't touched the series before, and I didn't feel out of place on Normal mode. The complaints about it being a bit easy aren't unfounded, but the bosses that should take me a couple of tries did. Still, best most smoothest metroidvania I've played in forever.

I missed one upgrade and its eating at me. Just gotta let this one go.

EDIT: Watching that MvC3 footage makes me very sad at the lack of an Izuna Drop in this game.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Man Option C is incredibly overpowered especially when you have a lot of energy upgrades.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Right, I know about the original arcade game, I even have the disc that got mislabeled with Strider 2 when that's what I was trying to buy (there was only one disc being sold). It's the sequels I don't know anything about, and I thought you said the new game even incorporates stuff from those?

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh

I vaguely remember Strider Returns on Genesis. It chugged at a consistent 30FPS or less (which shouldn't suggest the first one was smooth as butter.) It had lots of fighting tanks. It was a miserably slow game. But in my youth I was to scared to complete it past stage 5 (a spooky Aliens ripoff stage). I think the only thing this game has from that game is throwing Kunai.

As for Strider 2 on PSX, I think Double Helix and Capcom derived Hiryu's modern "angrier" look from that game. The Capcom dev in the dev library for this new game said his latest look was from the PSX Strider 2.

MvC 1 Strider:
    strider-hiryu-marvelvscapcom.png
    :winky:

Strider 2, PSX
    Strider_2_flyer_jp.jpg

Please Do Not Feed the New Strider
    Strider.jpg

Cantido on
  • Options
    He's going to have a really hard time swinging his cypher in that first shot..

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Hopefully this game is everything that Moon Diver wasn't.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Hopefully this game is everything that Moon Diver wasn't.

Ugh. Moon Diver was a train wreck, and I tried very hard to like that game and see it through to the end. This is everything a new Strider should be.

They even took the parts I didn't expect or want (I didn't realize NES Strider was so popular) and made it work for those on the other side of the fence.

• Options
    I love how everyone says the scarf is the new look when I had the Nintendo Power with the pullout poster of him with it for the NES game (and the accompanying manga images had him wear as well).

So really, it's his original look :P

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    I love how everyone says the scarf is the new look when I had the Nintendo Power with the pullout poster of him with it for the NES game (and the accompanying manga images had him wear as well).

Are you sure they're not referring to it being some sort of plasma/energy scarf, sort of like X had in Mega Man X Command Mission?

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    The laser scarf is made of Hiryu's energy overflowing out of ventilation from the back of his neck because how awesome is that?

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Are you sure they're not referring to it being some sort of plasma/energy scarf, sort of like X had in Mega Man X Command Mission?

You're right, the NES intro shows Hiryu had the scarf. Shame on me.

I had no clue the NES title was so highly regarded. I was all about the Sega title back in the day.
    SightTDW wrote: »
    EDIT: Watching that MvC3 footage makes me very sad at the lack of an Izuna Drop in this game.

Funny enough, it took me a while to realize Hiryu's launcher made it in, though there's no real reason to use it other than to toy with the prey you are killing. I just carry on with mashing the attack button.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The launcher move actually annoys me because if you press up+light while standing it comes out when the majority of the time I just want an upward slash.

• Options
    Hey so, if you're overwhelmed by those stupid sewer crabs, the slide attack will de-shell them in one hit and it's way faster than trying to do a charged cypher attack.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    My only gripe so far, is it doesn't always save in logical spots or when it says checkpoint.

After the 2nd boss, you head into a new level and it does not save there, so I have to re-do the fight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't think it saves actual progress unless you step on one of those health refill pads.

• Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's what I have come to realize.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    I don't trust 'Checkpoint...'. Go 飛 or go home.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options

You're right, the NES intro shows Hiryu had the scarf. Shame on me.

I had no clue the NES title was so highly regarded. I was all about the Sega title back in the day.

Heh, neither did I. It was my introduction to Strider, and while it could use some smoothing out, I've always thought it was neat. Most people have always seemed to hate it, whenever it comes up, though. "No, the ARCADE IS KING!" and such.

But I've long, long said that I've wanted a Strider that mixed the exploration and upgrading of the NES game with the combat and action of the arcade game. Lo and behold, here we are.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    To be fair, the arcade version was king

No, my recollection is totally not biased by nostalgia-tinted memories of being a kid stuffed full of pizza and root beer and shoving tokens into the old coin op machine after playing mini golf

Debating buying this game! Hmm.

• Options
    Yeah, I mean my first intro was the arcade/Sega game but then saw the Nintendo game in NP and rented it, what gave it away was the cypher slash.
    But I didn't know if they were the same since they looked so different (darker blue suit/red scarf vs light blue suit and open face). Plus when that other Sega game came out it further confused me (also there are a lot of design similarities between the airship in Strider and the ones in Sonic, which to me ment that Strider was a Sega property and not a third party).

But when MvC came out it cemented to me that they were the same guy since he had all his powers/moves/bots from the arcade but looked like this
    NP5_40.jpg

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I had never even heard of Strider until recently thanks to Best Friends play. I'll definately play the latest one when I get a chance. It seems awesome and dumb in that 90s arcade way.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Man, Strider is my JAM. I liked the arcade game a lot swishing the sword around trying to get the jump just right in the antigrav chamber. And the PSX Strider 2 was awesomely better. The new Strider is pretty good, having lots of fun with it, but frustrated trying to figure out how to get to some areas, hope I go back to them.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Why is there a killer robot Russian parliament? Who cares? ZANDATSU!

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I picked up the demo. Looks interesting. I might get the full game.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Okay, PSX Strider looks pretty sick. I wish I had a means to play that.

Cantido on