As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Playing a new CV fangame.

..I might have squealed and did little hummingbird claps when I realized the Alucard VA from SOTN is in this.

I don't really like the art style, but I'll have to give it a try one of these days. Seems kind of dumb for the guy to actually call it Castlevania, though. In this day and age, that's inviting a takedown.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    There are no whips which is always a bummer but eh, I can live without them.

But its usually in games where the controls are more natural. This is very oldschool stiff Vania.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    SteevL wrote: »

..I might have squealed and did little hummingbird claps when I realized the Alucard VA from SOTN is in this.

I don't really like the art style, but I'll have to give it a try one of these days. Seems kind of dumb for the guy to actually call it Castlevania, though. In this day and age, that's inviting a takedown.

It's not just intentional, he's doing it to deliberately middle-finger Konami. All of the sprites save the new characters are straight ripped from SOTN and even his logo at the start of the trailer is "influenced" by the Konami logo. (even calls it Migami)

His location apparently is listed as Brazil so if that's to be believed I think he simply straight does not give any fucks if some Japan/US legal team sends him a nastygram from the first world.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

It's not just intentional, he's doing it to deliberately middle-finger Konami. All of the sprites save the new characters are straight ripped from SOTN and even his logo at the start of the trailer is "influenced" by the Konami logo. (even calls it Migami)

His location apparently is listed as Brazil so if that's to be believed I think he simply straight does not give any fucks if some Japan/US legal team sends him a nastygram from the first world.

Ah, OK, that makes sense.

I read in that thread's OP that all the spritework was actually original, though.
    Although lots of sprites and backgrounds are inspired from the Castlevania series, all of the graphics are homemade (No ripped graphics).

The game is a real love letter to Rondo of Blood and SOTN and combines the tight level design and movement from Rondo of Blood with a map, subscreen, absolutely huge world, exploration and secrets similar to SOTN. I even dare say the overall package is better than both games. All sprites are original which is freaking amazing to say the least, even famous enemies and characters don't have their sprites copied but instead are remade from scratch to match the overall graphic design.

In other news, Bloodstained twitter update:

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Ah, OK, that makes sense.

I read in that thread's OP that all the spritework was actually original, though.
    Although lots of sprites and backgrounds are inspired from the Castlevania series, all of the graphics are homemade (No ripped graphics).

The game is a real love letter to Rondo of Blood and SOTN and combines the tight level design and movement from Rondo of Blood with a map, subscreen, absolutely huge world, exploration and secrets similar to SOTN. I even dare say the overall package is better than both games. All sprites are original which is freaking amazing to say the least, even famous enemies and characters don't have their sprites copied but instead are remade from scratch to match the overall graphic design.

It's possible, I'm looking at a let's play now and the enemies I do see look more original in art style but I look at the screenshots and the original trailer and a lot of those enemies look way too similar to not be rips(i.e. that Slogra). Could just be early WIP stuff.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Everything about the game seem like it is of exceptional quality. But just like, the art style seems so lifeless? And it is not bad either, because everything has a ton of detail and such. But just the style itself. Something seems off. Maybe it is just me mentally comparing it to actual castlevania games where they have an abundance of style.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's early and missing a lot of polish I would assume.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    It's early and missing a lot of polish I would assume.

I don't think any amount of polish would help out the art style for me. It definitely seems off somehow. I can't really put my finger on what I dislike about it. Maybe everything just seems a little too flat?

That being said, I did download and play it a little bit just now. Made it past the intro area and got to the point where I could save. Some of it is a little clunky, but so far it feels like a solid game and I look forward to playing more of it.

All the sprites I've seen are definitely originals. The only enemy I've fought so far that also behaved the same as in the Castlevania series was the fleaman, and it was a new sprite.

• Options
    So one thing this fan game does lift directly from the Castlevania games is a lot of the sounds. The ravens in particular make the same sound when triggered that Slogra makes from Super Castlevania IV. And when they die, they use another sound from SCIV. The game also uses a lot of music from the Castlevania series, but it's been re-recorded/covered so it fits pretty well in-game.

Overall, it continues to be pretty good! There are some weird design decisions, but nothing I can't get used to. For example, I just got the slide move, but to do it you don't press down+jump, you press down+whatever your special action button is.

Just got the item to summon the ferryman and he said this to me:

42DB92D48FA771CE8492DC8DB53A38F29EEE6DF6

• Options
    Huh, somehow I missed this game over the last year. First got my attention due to this tweet showing Iga playing it at BitSummit:

So I looked up the trailer. Looks pretty cool! This is its Steam Greenlight trailer, but looks like it's already been greenlit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC5Pc6Es4mE

As you can see, it's clearly inspired by the NES Castlevanias.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uDlkHPuNiY

Wait wait wait wait wait.

This looks good.

Why does this look good?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

This looks good.

Why does this look good?

Wow, July 7th? Did I see that right?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Wow, that looks amazing!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. YOU ALL WERE PUTTING IT DOWN BUT I'M ON THE HYPE TRAIN!

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Right.

I keep forgetting there's going to be a Castlevania series, and then I keep forgetting that it's going to be animated.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. YOU ALL WERE PUTTING IT DOWN BUT I'M ON THE HYPE TRAIN!

I was worried since the guy making it said a bunch of weird shit to describe what it would be like (something like M rated power rangers? I don't remember). Seems good though.

It's weird though, wtf is happening with Konami? First an actual good Bomberman game, now this? I am not used to this "we make things that are not pachinko machines" Konami

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I thought the Castlevania show was supposed to be live-action. I guess I heard wrong? I'm glad I heard wrong.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I was worried since the guy making it said a bunch of weird shit to describe what it would be like (something like M rated power rangers? I don't remember). Seems good though.

It's weird though, wtf is happening with Konami? First an actual good Bomberman game, now this? I am not used to this "we make things that are not pachinko machines" Konami

Maybe, just maybe, someone realized they could make more money if they weren't just in the pachinko machine business?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    If I had to guess this was something the producer had the rights to years ago (since this was pitched around forever) and it was too far along for Konami to back down.

Even if this ends up actually being an amazing Netflix series, I wouldn't expect Konami to approve another season.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

This looks good.

Why does this look good?

It looks good because Castlevania lore and iconography is WIDE open to interpretation. It's not like other more defined series where it has to be incredibly specific to be faithful.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    That was Alucard, Sypha, and Grant, right? So I'm guessing this is an interpretation of Trevor's quest.

Enlong on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah, this is produced by Adi Shankar, who also was responsible for, among other things, that Power/Rangers short film (which, for the record, I thought was tryhard nonsense).

But he also was the executive producer for Dredd... so I'll give him a pass.

• Options
    Okay so that actually looks fucking awesome.

And its got Warren Ellis behind it which means theres an absolutely shockingly high chance this could be genuinely great.

• Options

This looks good.

Why does this look good?

It looks good because Castlevania lore and iconography is WIDE open to interpretation. It's not like other more defined series where it has to be incredibly specific to be faithful.

latest?cb=20121226200328

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That's a good teaser. Still don't know about it being a good show.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    If I had to guess this was something the producer had the rights to years ago (since this was pitched around forever) and it was too far along for Konami to back down.

Even if this ends up actually being an amazing Netflix series, I wouldn't expect Konami to approve another season.
    If it turns out to be critically acclaimed and the fanbase love it, lets hope they consider it on the off chance they don't want to piss off the few fans that they have left.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/iIMrFnl5NiA

Shit, the full length trailer is even better.

I mean, that's not how NES games work, but I can forgive the innacuracy.

If nothing else I hope this spurs interest from Capcom, Square or.....Nintendo for animated series.

• Options
    Yeah man the NES can't support Netflix, this is why Konami is shit #FucKonami

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Also the timing on this is a nice coincidence, as I've been watching the Vinnyvania videos from Giant Bomb (I bit on their recent subscription sale). Been enjoying the nostalgic playthroughs.
    Vinny is terrible at these games

Edit: Turns out that NES was more accurate than I thought:

https://youtu.be/_yn-rNdYZAY

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Apparently the animation studio responsible (Powerhouse Animation) also did the neat cinematics for Duelyst, the Tactics CCG with rad pixel art.

• Options
    Also the timing on this is a nice coincidence, as I've been watching the Vinnyvania videos from Giant Bomb (I bit on their recent subscription sale). Been enjoying the nostalgic playthroughs.
    Vinny is terrible at these games

To be fair, they are pretty tough! I beat them when I was a teenager, but Vinny's in his late 30s now. But yeah, VinnyVania's a pretty good series to watch.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It's already getting a second season in 2018.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The first bit of the extended trailer made me go "No freakin' way, someone gets sucked into their favorite video game?!"

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    But the "full length trailer" is the same as the teaser.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »

Apparently it's just the first season split into two parts.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

So, normal castle and inverted castle. Cool. :P

• Options
    Looks like PCGamer did a writeup on that Lecarde Chronicles 2 game mentioned earlier in the thread. He mentions that it took him 5+ tries to beat the ancient tree boss and that seasoned Castlevania fans would have no problem, but it probably took me just as long.

It's an interesting game in that it has the structure of a Metroidvania, but lacks the level up system. Because of that, I can't go back and grind to overpower bosses, and because of that, I got stuck on a boss. I meant to play it more, but eh. I'll get back to it eventually. I hope.

• Options

So, normal castle and inverted castle. Cool. :P

Man, I would LOVE seeing Alucard run through the inverted castle in animated form.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    This makes me want to dust off my old College DnD Game. It was a straight Castlevania game. We rolled a D6 to figure out who of our players would be "The Belmont" and we even made badass stats for the Vampire Killer and having it be an Ego weapon.

Probably one of my favorite games of all times. I was a Cleric named Khorvain. Man -- that was such a great game.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    This makes me want to dust off my old College DnD Game. It was a straight Castlevania game. We rolled a D6 to figure out who of our players would be "The Belmont" and we even made badass stats for the Vampire Killer and having it be an Ego weapon.

Probably one of my favorite games of all times. I was a Cleric named Khorvain. Man -- that was such a great game.
    I never considered the idea of playing Castlevania via D&D setup. That sounds like a badass idea.

This discussion has been closed.