As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'd forgotten about the Castlevania show on Netflix, so I watched it last night. It... was leaning on the mediocre side. It has potential, but a couple things ruin it.

1) It feels really abridged in its world building, which is a shame because that's the strength it should lean on to carry it through (like episode one focusing on Dracula's motivation). Some things were arbitrary as hell (the fourth episode just puts you through a rapid series of events, kind of disjointed).

2) Way too much modern day cursing / rhetoric. I mean, if someone curses once in a while, whatever, I wouldn't have shrugged. But this is like when someone does a fan translation of a game released only in Japan, and they make every exclamation of surprise a curse word when it really didn't have to be.

3) Jesus jumped up Christ I knew that they'd have to depict people dying but the level of violence shown was way too much. It doesn't have to be that detailed, let alone who you see get violence visited upon them.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    See that is kind of like I said though. For me 2 and 3 were positives and perfectly fine, but I know that if people are going to not love the show those would be the primary reasons.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I binged all 4 episodes too and loved every bit of it. The blood, the cursing, world building... Loved it. I cannot wait for the next 8 episodes.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I have mixed opinions on the violence and gore. I think it was too much, but it also didn't bother me a ton either. Overall I thought the episodes were excellent and wish there was more :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The disemboweled child was a little unsettling but that's because children are usually off limits for violence so I wasn't used to it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    As soon as I saw Lisa's eyes at the start I realized what anime style was being put to use (yes, the way the lines around the eyes were drawn are indicative of an anime studio that goes to 11 on the violence scale), so it was a warning of sorts of what to expect. And then they decided to do the thing that urahonky pointed out.

Unless I hear the new episodes dial this shit back, I probably won't tune in for them.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The art style mostly reminded me of Aeon Flux, which I suppose might be what you're referring to.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    metaghost wrote: »
    The art style mostly reminded me of Aeon Flux, which I suppose might be what you're referring to.

Same guys who did the more-recent Vampire Hunter: D movie, I think? They do good work in the old longer-bodied, smaller-eyed style from the 80s, more or less. Quick research shows it's not the same companies, at least, but still it's similar.

I'm definitely in the "a little much," camp with Warlock82 and others, but it didn't ruin this for me. I was annoyed at the lack of Grant, though.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Auralynx wrote: »

Same guys who did the more-recent Vampire Hunter: D movie, I think? They do good work in the old longer-bodied, smaller-eyed style from the 80s, more or less.

I'm definitely in the "a little much," camp with Warlock82 and others, but it didn't ruin this for me. I was annoyed at the lack of Grant, though.

If he is not in season 2 I will riot.

Edit: Random aside, I got a chuckle every time I saw the credit for Trevor Morris :P I feel like he only got the job be a because of his name :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Eh, I've been watching anime for the majority of my life. I didn't think that Castlevania was anywhere near the top of the herd for violence. Like anywhere close. I get where you're coming from, don't get me wrong. But from the other side of the spectrum, I thought it was appropriate for any kind of gothic horror vampire undead demon style story.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    It actually reminded me of the Matrix anime shit, which was at this level of violence.

• Options
    Heh, I was curious so I looked. Surprised how well the anime follows the game. The first level is the town from the anime and the next is the clock tower with all the gears and such. That's where you normally recruit Grant, but it seems they swapped him for Sypha who would have been in the marsh in the 3rd level. But they kept the same cyclops thing (I thought that was probably right but my memory is faulty). I guess they basically condensed a lot of the pre-Castlevania levels into those four episodes.

Wonder if they'll do the ghost ship level next season. I think that could be an interesting setting, and a decent place to introduce Grant if they plan to. He was a pirate so they could easily combine the two. Maybe Trevor and co. fight him as a monster on the ship and free him like you normally would in game (albeit in the clock tower area), then he joins them.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Maybe some people don't want gore in their castlevania but I'm okay with it. I like Beserk/Fist of the North a whole lot so I'm cool with it.

It was a whole lot better than I thought it was going to be I just would have wanted at least double the episodes. Least it's coming back for another 8 episodes for season 2.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    It actually reminded me of the Matrix anime shit, which was at this level of violence.

Looking it up, two parts of Animatrix were directed/developed by Madhouse (who are arguably the progenitors of this particular animation style — see Ninja Scroll & Vampire Hunter D) and the final part was directed by Peter Chung, who is responsible for Aeon Flux.

So I think we're all on the same wavelength.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Really enjoyed it, was really bummed when I realized it was over.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    I feel like I may need to start watching anime again. I haven't watched any (before this) since... High school in '03?

• Options
    So during SGDQ, they ran a commercial for a game called Timespinner, which is an upcoming Metroidvania style game. Steam doesn't list it as being early access / in development still, but it is and not finished yet. Just a sort of heads up.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    There's also rumours that Adi Shankar's doing more vidya adaptations besides Castlevania too

ed: I'm an idiot, they already announced it nvm

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I feel like I may need to start watching anime again. I haven't watched any (before this) since... High school in '03?

Nah, you're good. I gave it up for the most part about 4 years ago now and every attempt to get me back into it as a thing has failed.

The Castlevania series was pretty good, though!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I mean, the levels of language and violence are pretty much on par with any R rated horror type film. Just because it is animated, doesn't mean it needs to hold back for some reason.

I wouldn't have expected much else from a Castlevania adaptation that wasn't trying to be a childs cartoon. Which this never claimed to be doing.

I get it is a matter of taste though. For myself who doesn't mind it, the actual show itself was awesome so I feel bad for anyone who has that ruined by the previous issues.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Depends how bored you are. Like anything else on TV you can skip it and be fine.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Watch Black Lagoon, the Hellsing OVAs, and the new Gundam Thunderbolt series and you'll be good.

I'm looking forward to watching Castlevania this weekend! I heard it includes parts of Symphony of the Night, which gives me hope for future seasons adapting future games.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Watch Black Lagoon, the Hellsing OVAs, and the new Gundam Thunderbolt series and you'll be good.

I'm looking forward to watching Castlevania this weekend! I heard it includes parts of Symphony of the Night, which gives me hope for future seasons adapting future games.

I also think that anyone who missed Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood should watch that if they like anime.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I also think that anyone who missed Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood should watch that if they like anime.

Full Metal Alchemist anything is pretty much usually a good bet. TBH, Brotherhood glosses over some storylines covered in the original so it's worth watching both (and I actually like the way both branch off from each other)

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Full Metal Alchemist anything is pretty much usually a good bet. TBH, Brotherhood glosses over some storylines covered in the original so it's worth watching both (and I actually like the way both branch off from each other)

Brotherhood diverges mainly because it is more (though not exactly) true to the original work, but yes, the first chunk of it is more condensed, since the stories did indeed diverge quite a bit, after Maes Hughes specifically. But both are damn good, and the side movies and OVAs for either "timeline" are generally also pretty high quality if a little "eh" in terms of story, specifically.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Brotherhood diverges mainly because it is more (though not exactly) true to the original work, but yes, the first chunk of it is more condensed, since the stories did indeed diverge quite a bit, after Maes Hughes specifically. But both are damn good, and the side movies and OVAs for either "timeline" are generally also pretty high quality if a little "eh" in terms of story, specifically.

Yeah, I think the major omission I noted was the whole story where they rescued the mining town, which I think is summed up as a newspaper headline :P Ironic since I don't think that character shows up again in the original series but he's a main character in Brotherhood

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Henroid wrote: »
    So during SGDQ, they ran a commercial for a game called Timespinner, which is an upcoming Metroidvania style game. Steam doesn't list it as being early access / in development still, but it is and not finished yet. Just a sort of heads up.

Timespinner development was funded via Kickstarter, way back in 2014. Development is ongoing. It looks and sounds beautiful. Just have to hope it plays as well as imagined, and for good area layouts.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I guess it's good t know that Honest Trailer's irritating ability to stuff a whopping 7 seconds of funny into a 6-10 minute video is still in place

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I've been replaying SotN after watching Castlevania, and it's amazing how well it complements the series, right down to having a boss fight against the Dracula's Curse trio.

(PS1 version, sorry, I like my cheesy dub.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize the series was Castlevania 3! That is SO cool!

Though..
    I kind of wanted the Bishop to stick around longer. Like.. they made me feel REALLY sorry for Dracula over his wife, and I wanted to see him personally get revenge on the Bishop / maybe come back from the brink, only to lose it. But nope.. Bishop went out like a wuss.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Though..
    I kind of wanted the Bishop to stick around longer. Like.. they made me feel REALLY sorry for Dracula over his wife, and I wanted to see him personally get revenge on the Bishop / maybe come back from the brink, only to lose it. But nope.. Bishop went out like a wuss.
    Dracula is kind of ignoring people as individuals. They're literally just animals without names or personality.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular

Though..
    This is a show that did not hold back when it comes to violence.

The fact that they didn't show the Bishop get torn to bits means I'm pretty sure we see him come back.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »

Though..

The fact that they didn't show the Bishop get torn to bits means I'm pretty sure we see him come back.

It wouldn't surprise me if he becomes
    Shaft.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    This show is shockingly engaging.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

Though..

It wouldn't surprise me if he becomes
    Shaft.

I can dig it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    If they want to stay faithful to series canon I don't think it will happen based on his character bio in the wiki. This would be more of a Lords of Shadow "Trevor is actually Alucard" kind of thing.
    Specifically Shaft seems to have different ideals about the Church being bad and corrupt and the only way to save humanity is to purge it through Dracula. The Bishop is kind of the opposite in that he believes the Church and God are absolutely the only way to save humanity (and also he lust for power himself).

There are also timeline things with all the Richter stuff being like 300 years later.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Finally watched the first episode the other night. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I appreciated that the episode was almost all about Dracula and why he is so angry.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Man is a miserable little pile of sequins.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The Violence was jarring at first but the whole thing left me wanting more.

This discussion has been closed.