As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Really like the nips on the chest piece.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    It's not a great cover. But "Satanic Propaganda"? Isn't that like... anti-satanic propaganda since he is holding a decapitated head of evil?

We weren't dealing with entirely reasonable people back in the 80s, what with the whole Satanic Panic thing.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I think that's the second issue of Nintendo Power. I don't know how anyone completed Simon's Quest without it.

I used the internet. Because I first beat it back in the early 2000s after I played SotN for the first time.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It's not a great cover. But "Satanic Propaganda"? Isn't that like... anti-satanic propaganda since he is holding a decapitated head of evil?

I got as far as "Dracula" when trying to explain Castlevania before I was told to go sit in the in school suspension room alone while my parents were called.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

We weren't dealing with entirely reasonable people back in the 80s, what with the whole Satanic Panic thing.

D&D helped me summon many portals to the underworld. I wouldn't have survived Jr high school without the help of those demons.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

Oh, I'm familiar. I wasn't allowed to play Zelda as a child because Ganon was a Dark Wizard, and that's bad. And also the main character can use magic and that's bad.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't know who gave her the idea, but somehow my mom was convinced that Mortal Kombat 1 had a very pro-rape message. She lost her mind when she learned that my brother and I had rented it. We managed to calm her down though, and show her it was just people punching eachother (and wisely omitted info on fatalities...)

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "Ah, Belmont, son of Belmont. Welcome. I hope you're prepared for an unforgettable luncheon."

"Luncheon? You steal fast food, and disguise it as your own cooking!"

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I remember my father and I arguing over Kick Master on the old TV.

"Please stop calling it that."
    "That's a devil, tho."
    "Stop saying that."
    "Got wings and everything."
    "Goddamnit."

• Options
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Man the animation and artwork in that Simon reveal trailer for SSBU was too good.

Now I want a real game done in that style. Give me CastleVania 2018 on the Switch with those graphics.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Man the animation and artwork in that Simon reveal trailer for SSBU was too good.

Now I want a real game done in that style. Give me CastleVania 2018 on the Switch with those graphics.

So what I think you're saying is you want a plinco machine right?

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    After the Smash Direct I loaded up my years old Symphony of the Night save, which I never beat. I remember I was just bumbling around the upside-down castle at the time.

I do remember that like all my weapons do around 50-60 damage max, but at some point I killed a panther, which dropped a masamune, which does like 110 damage and crits for 200. The hit box for the thing is also massive, it's like a giant circle around the sword. I have no idea If there's an actual order to where I'm supposed to go because the majority of things explode when I hit them.

And for fun I did a fireball motion because I remember people saying the game had fighting game motions. Alucard fucking teleports across the screen and slashes, and is invincible while he does it, as far as I can tell. It's just like hey, explode things from even further away.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    DeMoN wrote: »
    After the Smash Direct I loaded up my years old Symphony of the Night save, which I never beat. I remember I was just bumbling around the upside-down castle at the time.

I do remember that like all my weapons do around 50-60 damage max, but at some point I killed a panther, which dropped a masamune, which does like 110 damage and crits for 200. The hit box for the thing is also massive, it's like a giant circle around the sword. I have no idea If there's an actual order to where I'm supposed to go because the majority of things explode when I hit them.

And for fun I did a fireball motion because I remember people saying the game had fighting game motions. Alucard fucking teleports across the screen and slashes, and is invincible while he does it, as far as I can tell. It's just like hey, explode things from even further away.

Alucard has a bunch of hidden abilities related to certain weapons, like the one you found (which he also does with the Alucard Sword), or the fist of Tulkas (which does a mini-hadoken), or the sword of dawn (a mediocre two-hander that can create friendly skeleton warriors, archers, or wizards), or the shield rod's special attacks which vary based on your equipped shield. There's also a set of spells, independent of equipment, that use fighting game inputs; soul steal (damages all enemies on screen and heals Alucard for some of it), and sword brothers (a big area attack, but it requires a sufficiently high level sword familiar) are the stand-outs, but you can also learn Dracula's signature teleport-fireball move that he's had in every Castlevania.

It's been a long time since I played, but I seem to recall the reverse castle was pretty non-linear compared to the initial portion. Try to get everywhere to seek out the boss fights, then work your way to the reverse castle's equivalent to the 'heart of the castle' room where Maria gave you the eyewear that lets you see Shaft's spirit in the Richter fight. That's where you'll fight Shaft again, and then the final boss fight against Dracula.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Castlevania's had some pretty good music over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0WlgL4F9u0

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    fQOd8UV.gif

One of the best track records in gaming when it comes to soundtracks.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm about to listen to it, but I hope Bloody Tears is in there. It might be my favorite gaming song ever.

edit:
    nm...every song ever is in there. geez. Looks like I'm gonna need to buy a switch finally.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    I'm about to listen to it, but I hope Bloody Tears is in there. It might be my favorite gaming song ever.

It is in there several times, and all of them are good, but I forgot what a jump in quality the music made going from Castlevania to Simon's Quest

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Wood carving partita and after confession didn’t make it in , slightly disappointed at that.

• Options
    It would be funny if Castlevania in Smash Bros. triggered a proper revival of the franchise.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    It would be funny if Castlevania in Smash Bros. triggered a proper revival of the franchise.

That and the cartoon on Netflix and Bloodstained selling 5 million copies will show Konami there is still interest in whipping Draculas.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

Alucard has a bunch of hidden abilities related to certain weapons, like the one you found (which he also does with the Alucard Sword), or the fist of Tulkas (which does a mini-hadoken), or the sword of dawn (a mediocre two-hander that can create friendly skeleton warriors, archers, or wizards), or the shield rod's special attacks which vary based on your equipped shield. There's also a set of spells, independent of equipment, that use fighting game inputs; soul steal (damages all enemies on screen and heals Alucard for some of it), and sword brothers (a big area attack, but it requires a sufficiently high level sword familiar) are the stand-outs, but you can also learn Dracula's signature teleport-fireball move that he's had in every Castlevania.

It's been a long time since I played, but I seem to recall the reverse castle was pretty non-linear compared to the initial portion. Try to get everywhere to seek out the boss fights, then work your way to the reverse castle's equivalent to the 'heart of the castle' room where Maria gave you the eyewear that lets you see Shaft's spirit in the Richter fight. That's where you'll fight Shaft again, and then the final boss fight against Dracula.

Cool, thanks!

And yeah, checking my spells list I have 2, one of which is the soul steal. But the input for it is freaking nuts.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Its input sequence reflects how wonderfully broken it is. Not only does it do healthy amounts of damage/leech, but it also hits anything breakable on the screen, so it can basically be used as a makeshift scan for secrets.

• Options
    That sounds like something I should probably try to mess around with.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

That and the cartoon on Netflix and Bloodstained selling 5 million copies will show Konami there is still interest in whipping Draculas.

too bad they fired all their game developers

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

That's what would really make it "funny"! All Konami has going with a new Castlevania game at the moment is that mobile mutliplayer game they announced a few months back.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

True, but it wouldn't exactly be the first time a publisher or large developer farmed out their IP to an independent developer to actually make a game with. They just wouldn't be able to exert as much oversight.

So, who do you think they'll go to; Inti Creates, Platinum, Iga's new company?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

True, but it wouldn't exactly be the first time a publisher or large developer farmed out their IP to an independent developer to actually make a game with. They just wouldn't be able to exert as much oversight.

A return to Castlevania City courtesy of Mercury Steam.

• Options
    edited August 2018

A return to Castlevania City courtesy of Mercury Steam.

I heard Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate was a bit of a letdown, but Metroid: Samus Returns was pretty awesome, so that wouldn't necessarily be a bad deal. Either they've matured as a developer, or Metroid's a better fit for them, or Nintendo does a better job supervising outsourced development. If the former, I'd look forward to them getting another crack at the license, although I'd kind of prefer if they ditched the LoS subseries and just did a classic Castlevania.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'd settle for Steam ports of old games.

Especially Harmony of Despair and Symphony of the Night.

• Options
    It's kind of amazing we've made it this far along without a port of SotN to the PC.

• Options
    It's kind of amazing we've made it this far along without a port of SotN to the PC.

What's SotN's screen resolution?

• Options
    Lars wrote: »

Is the online service for Harmony of Despair still running?

• Options

What's SotN's screen resolution?

Not sure, but it's been ported to the Xbox 360 and PS3.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Is the online service for Harmony of Despair still running?

For 360 it is at least. I occasionally boot it up and play a level or two and end up on the Top 10 leaderboard for the month or week since there aren't a lot of players anymore.

I don't have Xbox Live anymore though, so I can't play with other people, just run through the levels solo hunting those few missing elusive items.

• Options
    One thing I really disliked about HD was the excessive amount of grinding needed to get anything good for a given character. Can't tell you how much time I spent with Charlotte trying to get enough of the Skeleton Gunman spell.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

And Rondo, please.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Just port Dracula X Chronicles.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I think I remember Nintendo Power doing a retrospective years later and bringing that up as the worst cover they've ever done.

Fuck that. That cover’s great.

Yeah, it’s a thousand times better than “obviously American ninja wielding a chicken wing bone in front of the world’s smallest city/largest trees (delete as appropriate) while the Death Star sets on the horizon behind a massive mountain fortress.”

n8vv1sq03q8y.png

This discussion has been closed.