As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia would be awkward ports as they had alternate characters who used the touch screen heavily.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia would be awkward ports as they had alternate characters who used the touch screen heavily.

Really? I'm fuzziest on Portrait of Ruin, but I don't remember using the touchscreen for much beyond menus in Order of Ecclesia. It's been a long time since I played it, though. Perhaps I never even tried any of the alternate characters.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Really? I'm fuzziest on Portrait of Ruin, but I don't remember using the touchscreen for much beyond menus in Order of Ecclesia. It's been a long time since I played it, though. Perhaps I never even tried any of the alternate characters.

You could do a playthrough as Albus and he uses the touchscreen a lot for mobility stuff.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Change it to a dual stick shooter. I think that would work fine.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    As I mentioned before, Dream Drop Distance HD, the game that came in KH 2.8, had extensive use of the other screen, as well as the cameras for AR interaction.

Since it was only released on the PS4, they changed the touch screen to the touch pad interaction for several mini-games and commands, for just one example.

Now, to be fair, Tetsuya Nomura considers the HD version to be a complete remake because of the transition from one screen to two screens, but still, as someone else pointed out, Mirror of Fate came over to almost every platform that I can think of being largely unchanged.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

You could do a playthrough as Albus and he uses the touchscreen a lot for mobility stuff.

And Portrait of Ruin had an option to play as Stella and Loretta, who attack by swiping or pointing at enemies with the touch screen.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    As I mentioned before, Dream Drop Distance HD, the game that came in KH 2.8, had extensive use of the other screen, as well as the cameras for AR interaction.

Since it was only released on the PS4, they changed the touch screen to the touch pad interaction for several mini-games and commands, for just one example.

Now, to be fair, Tetsuya Nomura considers the HD version to be a complete remake because of the transition from one screen to two screens, but still, as someone else pointed out, Mirror of Fate came over to almost every platform that I can think of being largely unchanged.

Yeah but Square actually cares, Konami doesn't.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    They could just take the touch-screen modes out, they weren't very good anyway.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Yeah but Square actually cares, Konami doesn't.

Oh for sure. My point was that it is possible, which exactly means that Konami don't give a shit.

• Options
    Maybe Konami will at least be cool enough to bring that Castlevania Requiem collection to friggin' Steam. I'd buy it.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    hear me out though. a dawn of sorrow port/remake where they remove the bad gimmick of drawing the glyphs.

that's my wishful thinking.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Couldn't they just implement the touch stuff to swipes and rotations to the right stick?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Couldn't they just implement the touch stuff to swipes and rotations to the right stick?

Yes, but don't put glyph drawing on the analog stick. Just delete that part because it was bad. The two follow up games for the same system sure did!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Its sad but the thing I remember most from those games are swapping characters.
    Jonathan Charlotte Jonathon
    ?? ??? Arikado!

Well. That and how impossible Ecclesia was. I couldn't get past the crab forever. Although I think I did beat the game on level 1 mode somehow eventually?

Yeah I'd buy that if they put it on steam.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Ecclesia had a great hard mode too, with different enemy placement and behaviour and even new moves for bosses.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    "Julius." "Yoko." "Arikado."

And apparently the "J" in "Julius" is pronounced with a Y sound.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    "Arukado". They didn't need to use the fake name by that point.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Aria of Sorrow spoilers cuz... eh, just in case.
    Yeah, the moment Soma becomes "Dracula" and knows everything... yeah, the line should have been "Alucard, I know you're watching, come out!", not "Arukado. That would have been 100x more powerful.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

Aria of Sorrow spoilers cuz... eh, just in case.
    Yeah, the moment Soma becomes "Dracula" and knows everything... yeah, the line should have been "Alucard, I know you're watching, come out!", not "Arukado. That would have been 100x more powerful.

Oh well, c'est la vie.
    i think he has full awareness of his nature as Dracula's reincarnation, but he doesn't have Dracula's memories. He's still Soma, and Alucard didn't give Soma his real name.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Not Castlevania or Bloodstained.... I've been playing Timespinner, one of many Kickstarter Metroidvanias. It's good so far, so check it out.

https://youtu.be/tvzwzpDk0sk

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    When I serve avocado to my children I make sure to say ARIKADO. They.... may not get the reference since they are 2 and 5 but they like to say it too. The legacy of Castlevania lives on.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Played a bunch of Timespinner today. So far as I can tell, it's a class act. Looks, sounds, and plays like the veteran-made 2D platformers of SNES, PS1, GBA, and DS.

- Looks-wise it's solidly a high-end 2D SNES/PS1 game.
    - Sound-wise it's perfect (the producer/programmer/graphic designer hired Power-Up audio and real composers).
    - Story-wise it's reasonably interesting and well-written (hired a real writer).
    - Gameplay-wise and mechanically it borrows a lot, mostly from Igavania games, though it also makes use of Metroid-like ledge grabs.
    - Your main attack mechanic is straight out of Order of Ecclesia, but you're not on a souls collect-a-thon, you find your basic attack, strong attack, passive, movement abilities from either exploring or from defeating bosses.
    - Rather than sub-weapons, the game has charged strong attacks. These are limited by a gauge which recharges itself reasonably quickly.
    - It has time-themed mechanics, such as a time-stop which lets step on enemies. The game starts out using this for platforming, but immediately makes stopping time and walking on/jumping off bosses integral to avoiding certain attacks.
    - Time powers are limited by a glacially-regenerating sand meter.
    - Enemies and the game's equivalent to candles drop you sand, money, and occasional consumables.

As far as technology goes, it supports enough resolutions for a wide variety of systems and displays, in full-screen and windowed modes. It doesn't have a borderless window mode, but that's easily fixed with various utilities.

This is an amazing result for a game mostly made by one person, as it feels good enough to stand with the best.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    A short trailer for Castlevania Requiem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEAJZwCOSig

Plus you can preorder now.

I saw complaints on Facebook saying this is useless because they already put the game out on PSP, which is a nonsensical complaint to me.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    My only complaints are the inability to attack in a direction other than forward or dodge in a direction other than backward.

Not being able to attack upward or at an angle makes fighting aerial enemies quite awkward. Only being able to dodge backward has led to me ignoring it and just baiting out attacks with regular movement.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    It's a little annoying that they didn't feel the need to port the remake of Rondo that they made on the PSP anywhere. That was a real good version of the game, and had some neat features, like being able to use any music in any stage.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    What's with Dracula's purple cape and dying his hair brown? Isn't he a bit old for that?

I mean, come on, your *son* has white hair.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I saw complaints on Facebook saying this is useless because they already put the game out on PSP, which is a nonsensical complaint to me.

Apparently it's ONLY for PS4, which is baffling.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Give. Me. Symphony. On. PC.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Hits PS4 the same day season 2 hits Netflix. This pleases me.

President Evil on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    What's with Dracula's purple cape and dying his hair brown? Isn't he a bit old for that?

I mean, come on, your *son* has white hair.

Vampires age differently. Purple hair is a sign of ancient status, whereas white hair is merely old. It isn't a dye job.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah sure I'll buy SOTN for the 100th time, why not?

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    "Pre-order Now!"
    "Unable to find this page"
    Cool.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    It's a little annoying that they didn't feel the need to port the remake of Rondo that they made on the PSP anywhere. That was a real good version of the game, and had some neat features, like being able to use any music in any stage.

Yeah, that is weird. I prefer the original, but I don't see why they wouldn't put that version on there too.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Give. Me. Symphony. On. Switch.

• Options
    Yeah, it does feel sort of odd that the PSP game wouldn't be released in this, except I seem to remember that Rondo was a 2.5D remake that would need to be remastered for a release intended to be played on televisions, where the original sprites will just be seen as "nostalgic".

I.E. Less work for Konami.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Just release all the Castlevanias on everything.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

Just release all the Castlevanias on everything.

even better!

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Seems it's $20. A fair deal, but I'm still leaning towards getting Dracula X Chronicles on Vita since it's $15 and has a 3rd game.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    This version of SotN looks to be using the translation and font from the PSP version. I really hope its that version so we get playable Maria.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    SOTN on the switch would be nice if they could do a decent job porting it. The current track record for slow down in 3rd party, side scrolling platformers with a moderate amount of enemies on the screen hasn't exactly been in the switch's favor.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.