As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Still being able to pull it off is not necessarily a good thing. If what they say about Enric is true (which I can believe, having seen those types of bosses before) all it will do is continue to inflate the ego.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    But

Lords of Shadow 2 seems pretty good so far

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    hm one of the later stealth sections has me stuck. could be me getting tired though.
    the one after you get the double jump, in the arts district where there are 3 golgoth guards and 3 sets of mist grates either side and an elevator.

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    hm one of the later stealth sections has me stuck. could be me getting tired though.
    the one after you get the double jump, in the arts district where there are 3 golgoth guards and 3 sets of mist grates either side and an elevator.
    Go to the other side of the room and distract one of the guards on the ground floor with bats, then get as close as you can to the stairs without being seen and turn to mist. You can blow right past the guard at the top of the stairs.

• Options
    cr0w wrote: »
    Go to the other side of the room and distract one of the guards on the ground floor with bats, then get as close as you can to the stairs without being seen and turn to mist. You can blow right past the guard at the top of the stairs.
    wait, you can go through people with mist form? goddamnit. thank you!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Good god if the people that made this game think it's a disappointment what kind of godlike game not fit for this world would we have gotten if that guy hadn't have been so power hungry.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Hmm, well I'm starting to see some of the warts on the rat sections now. I'm decently through the game now so far as ability unlocks. I should totally be able to fight random dudes in power armor now. I'm freaking Dracula.

Aside from that, I just hit one where I know what should happen, but ALL of my abilities are turned off except turn into a rat. That's not cool. I should be able to use my distracting bats and possession. I guess I'll be using walkthroughs on the rat portions, because fucked if I know what they want me to do as a rat with no where to go and no other abilities to use. I even tried to get the baddies to shoot me around electral wires and and whatnot to affect the environment. No dice.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    I got stuck again in the castle. Past the infamous stealth section (also I just realized I could have used the mist to get past some parts of it)
    How on Earth do I get toward the second piece of the mirror? I'm outside of what I assume is the Toymaker's section of the fortress, but I can't get into the place itself. I'm on a level off to the left of the entrance, and there are Brotherhood peeps there, and I murder them, and then...?

I went through the City of the Damned and came up the other way to see if there was an entrance on the other side of the chasm, but no dice.

What am I missing

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I got stuck there too Wyborn. You run up to the red pillar with the glowing gold dots and hit circle/B to turn it and make a path.

It's like a music box cylinder.

• Options
    ....shit! Man! You'd think I would get that!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Man the gating of this game is kinda annoying. Every 30 feet I'm having to close and open doors, offer blood, use elevators, blarg. I get they're trying to hide the loading but it's still a bit of a chore.

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    So I finished the game a little bit ago.

Spoilery review:
    Really loved the first 5-6 hours of the game, as evidenced by my previous posts. I was positively gushing over it.
    Had no problem with the stealth sections, because I realize they are puzzle segments, and fairly easy ones at that.

What really has me pensive is the ending. I really feel like we were promised some kind of ultimate ending, something dark like the first game's. What we got instead was a major Hollywood, non-offensive, the-sun-is-rising bullshit ending. I feel like the only reason you can come up with such a lame ass ending is because the developers hoped that it would sell well enough that they could go back on their word and leave it open enough for a third entry.

The dialogue in the game, as a whole, had its ups and downs. Reciting the paladin's prayers back into his face, the Toymaker's theater, those were great scenes. (apparently the paladin scene was so badass they had to show it again in its entirety...)
    Unfortunately most of the villains in this just spouted one-liners that shunned context, and the villains became less and less important as it went on. Okay, Raisa ended up being Satan's daughter - who the fuck was Nergal? Who was the fat priest guy? Do we not care all of a sudden because plot-twist Alucard is more important?

Also, they killed off the Belmont bloodline? What the fuck? Have fun retconning that shit, Mercury Steam. That fact alone makes me think that the ending had to have been changed.

I think that this game had potential to be perfect, but unfortunately it saddles up with the first game as being beautifully flawed. Except it doesn't get the title of Grilled Cheesus because they had way more funding, a bigger development team, and way more time to polish it.

I'd give this game a little over a 7/10, with all the points deducted being from them being super lazy in the writing department at times and the extra carebear ending that poops all over us.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Yeah. From what I've read this ending seems like a big step backwards.

• Options
    Blame Konami. I'm at the end if the game but got an unhandled error before the last boss. That was a mood killer so I went and read the original ending to the game.

It's horrible. Whatever Konami did to change it, had to be for the best.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Viskod wrote: »
    Blame Konami. I'm at the end if the game but got an unhandled error before the last boss. That was a mood killer so I went and read the original ending to the game.

It's horrible. Whatever Konami did to change it, had to be for the best.

Where did you read this? (edit: posted it below)

Wydrion on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    eh the plot got predictable as hell. very late game spoilers
    just beat death, (finally, i wanted that death form in los1!) but the "twists" you figure out 5 seconds after the prologue. i knew that was alucard from the second i read the bodyguards logbook entry. and thus figured the reason we didn't see what happened back in the 1800's was because it was some kind of pact to trick death. so ham fisted and telegraphed i had to roll my eyes during the revelations. the game is constantly winking at you about the plot twist and then its like "dada! didnt see that coming didya!" ugh.

also that last stealth section with the 3 golgoths is some of the biggest fucking shit ever, much much worse than the easy as hell "too katoku 4 hours to do" section. the 3 golgoth stroggs section almost made me uninstall and call it quits, its up there with the los1 dlc bullshit sections, totally murdering my enjoyment of the game. by this point im taking out
    fucking death, sons and daughters of satan
    yet those strogg rejects are too powerful for dracula? bullshit.

i assume im at the point of no return now though
    after beating death
    so i guess i'll pick up these last bits of items and then finish it off tomorrow, kinda left a sour taste in my mouth now so i don't think ill be trying for 110%.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    just beat death, (finally, i wanted that death form in los1!) but the "twists" you figure out 5 seconds after the prologue. i knew that was alucard from the second i read the bodyguards logbook entry. and thus figured the reason we didn't see what happened back in the 1800's was because it was some kind of pact to trick death. so ham fisted and telegraphed i had to roll my eyes during the revelations. the game is constantly winking at you about the plot twist and then its like "dada! didnt see that coming didya!" ugh.

also that last stealth section with the 3 golgoths is some of the biggest fucking shit ever, much much worse than the easy as hell "too katoku 4 hours to do" section. the 3 golgoth stroggs section almost made me uninstall and call it quits, its up there with the los1 dlc bullshit sections, totally murdering my enjoyment of the game. by this point im taking out

after beating death
    so i guess i'll pick up these last bits of items and then finish it off tomorrow, kinda left a sour taste in my mouth now so i don't think ill be trying for 110%.
    Fire bats at one of the guards, sneak by on the left against the wall/divider (you don't even have to go across the room), you can dash all the way up next to the stairs, then go mist form and you can pass right through the guard next to the gate with time to spare.

As for the original ending, this is what I found on NeoGAF, which would have honestly fit the tone of the series and complemented LoS1's ending better, though it would have still needed some work:
    When Satan possesses Alucard, Gabriel forces the combat cross inside him, killing his own son again, and the spirit of human Trevor Belmont is seen ascending to heaven smiling at his father; however, the Combat Cross was destroyed, thus letting Gabriel with no chance of ever reuniting with his family or die, Dracula starts screaming like a maniac on the ground and the brotherhood of light captures him (with him giving not resistance) and scenes are shown of them torturing him braveheart style for many centuries, tearing off limbs, cutting him with knives until the end of time while Gabriel never gets the peace he wants.

• Options
    Well, that was something. I like Konami's ending. I can't decide which of the two games I like better. Lords of Shadow 1 I'd have to say is more fun to experience but Lords of Shadow 2 is definitely more fun to play because of how much the combat improved. Tough call.

I think Lords of Shadow 1 definitely had a better story, that felt more genuine. This one is like something you'd find in Devil May Cry with completely bland A-typical villains spouting stock quotes that you've heard in every game before ever. The writing for them was terrible. Dracula in modern times doesn't bother me, and I don't think the story was worse just because of that.

Once I started running around and trying to collect stuff it made me wish the game used chapters instead of having one big interconnected city. I constantly felt lost since each district is basically one linear level with one or two outs to another district along the way, and the map rooms just kind of randomly place you in the middle of each level.

I think they would have been much better served to let us use Zobeks tower as a central hub in the middle of the city and be able to access each district from there as the official "start" of each area. Give us an item that teleports us to the tower and put a Wolf Emblem there for easy castle access as well. Just to keep it a bit more organized.

I guess I'll start collecting all of the doodads this weekend and do the Kleidos Challenges. Someone tweeted David Cox and asked if there was anything extra rewarded for getting 100% of the game and he said "Yes". So, whether that's another ending scene or a costume or something or if his Yes is a complete fucking scam and all he's referring to is a fucking trophy or achievement we shall see.

I'm hoping I can get 100% by just completing each Kleidos Challenge once, and not completing each one and getting all of the optional conditions done at the same time, because that.... that's going to be really really fucking hard.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Looks like there might be problems at Mercury Steam. This comes from an anonymous source that hasn't been verified yet. However, a user from Castlevania Dungeon has been in contact with this employee, and that forum has had a great track record with insider Castlevania info. The original post was made on a Spanish forum. The staff of that forum is trying to verify the user's identity, but some of the info he's released lines up with confidential info they've received.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776423

http://www.3djuegos.com/foros/tema/28947495/28/comentarios-del-analisis-de-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-ii/#mensaje29007966
    Well, I would like to shed some light over the development of this game... Working with Mercury Steam -and I would like to tell this anonymously- is about an everyday frustration. Here's to every guy that has experienced hell during the development of this game, but especially to those who have led this to the mess that Lords of Shadows 2 is:

- Kojima had little to nothing to do with the development of the first game, he came by, set a seal, visited the studio, signed some things and that was it. He had even less to do with Mirror of Fate and LoS2.

The vast majority of this team is aware that the game we've done is a real piece of shit that has nothing to do with the first one's quality and production values... Nobody is surprised by the low reviews we've got.

- If there's someone to blame here, that's Enric Álvarez. He is the person who has led a broken development based on his personal criteria, completely overlooking programmers, designers and artists. Despite his nice look to the press, often considered as some sort of creative "visionary" in the looks of David Cage and Molyneux, this guy has serious problems. He is a mean and naughty guy, and since the "success Lords of Shadows 1" his ego has grown to the point of not even daring to say 'hello' when you meet him in the hallway.

His distrust to his own workers is enormous. Most of the development team often found out features of the game through press news, rather than from the studio's head - unbelievable. And there is no corporate culture here at all... this is just a handful of people working blindly and at the disposal of an alleged visionary.

- The studio's internal structure is archaic, still based on the old partners of the Scrapland days. I'll give you an example so you can see the full picture: the studio's signature engine (one with many flaws) was solely coded by two guys, one of them being a founder of the company and Enric's confident. Access for the new programmers to the source code to update or refurbish the engine is denied, so things are still done in a 10-year-old fashion.

- Many of the studio founders are people with zero abilities for running a studio. Often here newbie developers know more than their own bosses. This structure only leads to a slow, messy and absurd development process, with the end result of Lords of Shadows 2 being a perfect example of what happens due to that.

- Absolutely every design idea has to be monitored, taken away and mutilated by Enric Álvarez. Several game designers have grown tired of this and have abandoned the studio.

- The art direction for this project has been erratic and beheaded. After Enric dismissed every idea and core decission from our main art director for the previous projects, he decided to just leave. It was a battle of egos unleashed by Enric (something that he has carried over with since his times in Rebel Act). Our now former art director is still working in Madrid, now with the Tequila guys making RIME.

- Many others have just turned to other studios offers, sick of the situation here. Almost every month we see fellow devs packing up and getting out of here looking for a new job abroad -that's sad-. It's amazing how the biggest AAA game developer in Spain is not even willing to make its workers a counteroffer. This company does not think highly of its talented workers and their good work. There has never been any kind of salary bonus or anything that remotely resembles it. Not even a single "Good job team!" acknowledgement.

- The production management for this project has been terrible, way often the heads of each department dismissed every production deadline and imposed their own criteria. As a result, the development was delayed for six months, and that investment only came out of MercurySteam's pockets.

Many can't help comparing this situation to something similar that already happened in a company in which many of us worked: Pyro Studios (the team behind the Commandos saga). The QA department is treated like cattle, with shameful wages and almost everyday bullying.

- Expectations for our future are quite bad... with a publisher like Konami really upset after the mediocre game we've made.

- After completing Lords of Shadows 2 MercurySteam has fired 35 workers, and it's embarrasing that no website or journalist is talking about that. More firings are expected to come in the following days.

- And finally, because not everything is bad in here, I wanted to say that the real team behind this company is an incredible bunch of people. If all those guys who are not allowed to be promoted due to our Jurassic studio leads had the chance to set the course of the company, our future would be so bright. There's just so much passion and talent here, more than I've ever seen anywhere else, but it's completely held back. I really hope that those who read this understand what we've lived here. Someone has to say this so it is not lost in time after the game's launch.

Thank you for reading me.

Sounds like Video Game Development 101 to me.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    I heard there is an extra ending for 100% but if its anything like mirror of fates extra ending i dont think i can be bothered.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    An Extra Ending would probably just be a DLC tease or trailer. We're supposedly getting Alucard DLC later in March, and "maybe" some Victor DLC? The Alucard chapter is a done and done thing, made by Mercury Steam, but depending on how well the game does I think a second DLC with Victor made by Konami is kind of up in the air.

I'm rather skeptical that the reward for 110% of the game is anything more than just the trophy/achievement and if it is anything more, our best chance is that its a withered/coatless Dracula skin.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Finally finished Lords of Shadow 1 last night. I liked it a lot and also disliked it at the same time. The I enjoyed the story and some aspects of the combat quite a bit. Some other stuff, like the more frustrating combat aspects and the precise platforming sections (especially in the DLC) were not great.

I think I liked it enough to play the sequel, because that ending definitely makes me want to see how all that turns out. I can't bring myself to pay full price for it though. First time it gets a 50% off Steam sale though, I'll definitely grab it.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Man they should not have included the DLC in the Ultimate Edition

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    So much for that rumor. We get nothing but a trophy/achievement for getting 110% of the game finished. A video of someone picking up their last memorial scroll to get 110% was just posted on youtube, and nothing unlocked.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    So much for that rumor. We get nothing but a trophy/achievement for getting 110% of the game finished. A video of someone picking up their last memorial scroll to get 110% was just posted on youtube, and nothing unlocked.

Perhaps its one of those things where they need to beat the game again after hitting 110% in order to see the extra ending or whatever.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Stop giving me hope! I'm just going to get hurt.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Man they should not have included the DLC in the Ultimate Edition

I would have paid extra for a DLC is Not Here and Stricken From the Canon Edition.

I just finished the train segment, and I think that dev is being way to hard on himself on the quality of this game.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Just beat the game. Did anyone else kind of feel like the plot went kind of...rushed at the end?
    Oh we're planning to kill Satan so lets get him summoned, okay not a bad plan. Also, let's murder Zobek! Why? He is helping you, and also wants to stop Satan. And wants to Kill Dracula, which is what he wants. So kill Satan, and then let Death kill you. Problem solved.

Also, the game missed an opportunity to let you
    fight the Leviathan as a giant Dragon, in space!

Overall though, I enjoyed the game.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Just beat the game. Did anyone else kind of feel like the plot went kind of...rushed at the end?
    Oh we're planning to kill Satan so lets get him summoned, okay not a bad plan. Also, let's murder Zobek! Why? He is helping you, and also wants to stop Satan. And wants to Kill Dracula, which is what he wants. So kill Satan, and then let Death kill you. Problem solved.

about how long did it take you?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »

My Steam says 21 hours played but it's lying. I'd say it took me around like 15-16, and that's with some exploration and general farting-around.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

Um, I got it on Tuesday, and played around 2-4 hours every day, so around 12-16 hours? I did some side-stuff, but missed out on a lot of stuff as well.

I will also say that I felt that the plotting in general felt weird in some places in retrospect.
    Why did I spend two hours looking for a cure that ended up doing nothing to the person I was looking to cure? Why didn't we spend more time with the other two acolytes, and their groups? Unlike in the first game where everyone's minions felt unique to the area, the minions for Satan's Acolytes were overall pretty similar, with only the late addition of the Dark servants for the priest.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah I'll never see 110% in thus game. You have to survive all the Kleidos stuff and get all of their optional conditions in one run.

Yeah no. That's just torture

Viskod on
  • Options
    goddamnit, finished it and boy was the last 3rd disappointing. still i did enjoy the last boss fight
    fighting satan in space aboard a giant cthulhuian monster needs to happen more. still kinda wish we actually fought real satan, felt kinda cheap the way it went down and then that ending? what? i was waiting for a goddamn epilogue or something, at least something other than "we murdered evil! now what? *shrug* who knows."

oh well, probably not gonna play the game again until that alucard dlc.

• Options
    Wydrion wrote: »

after beating death
    Fire bats at one of the guards, sneak by on the left against the wall/divider (you don't even have to go across the room), you can dash all the way up next to the stairs, then go mist form and you can pass right through the guard next to the gate with time to spare.

As for the original ending, this is what I found on NeoGAF, which would have honestly fit the tone of the series and complemented LoS1's ending better, though it would have still needed some work:
    When Satan possesses Alucard, Gabriel forces the combat cross inside him, killing his own son again, and the spirit of human Trevor Belmont is seen ascending to heaven smiling at his father; however, the Combat Cross was destroyed, thus letting Gabriel with no chance of ever reuniting with his family or die, Dracula starts screaming like a maniac on the ground and the brotherhood of light captures him (with him giving not resistance) and scenes are shown of them torturing him braveheart style for many centuries, tearing off limbs, cutting him with knives until the end of time while Gabriel never gets the peace he wants.

hah oh holy shit that original ending would have been ballsy. though not sure if i would of liked that either.
    dat some grimdark shit and it still doesn't offer really the definitive end i was hoping for.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    If anyone's interested in where their art direction was actually good, where Gabriel turns into rats is inspired by Coppola's Dracula:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrKUosSM7s

(specifically after the 00:25 mark)

Wydrion on
  • Options
    I beat it

I feel like this game was not as thematically robust as the first one, which is the chief thing I really enjoyed in the original game
    I really thought that the Inner Dracula fight would come after defeating Satan, and that in destroying his inner darkness Gabriel would be able to let go of the world and be with his family and his God

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I beat it

I feel like this game was not as thematically robust as the first one, which is the chief thing I really enjoyed in the original game
    I really thought that the Inner Dracula fight would come after defeating Satan, and that in destroying his inner darkness Gabriel would be able to let go of the world and be with his family and his God

Honestly, from what I've heard about the ending
    it sounds very video-gamey in that its left open enough for a sequel.

Which I feel kind of hurts storytelling when you leave the ending with a question mark.

• Options
    I guess that's part of it.

Another part of it is that the game doesn't feel as effortlessly confident. I can't help comparing it to the final chapters of the first game, where the pacing was better, and the setting felt more appropriate for the enemies you have to fight.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You know what I expected the ending to be like?
    Once you beat the second Acolyte by luring him into Gabriel's internal darkness I expected to have to do the same thign to Satan

And you'd do battle with him on the geography of Gabriel's soul, the one place where it's even theoretically possible for him to be killed - don't have me kill him by stabbing him in the chest, have me kill him by channeling the full unfettered fury of Gabriel's pain and hatred into that act. Give some good lines about how the evil in the heart of a man is so much more pure, more terrible, than the evil outside of it

And then, when Satan has been burned in the fires of Gabriel's perdition, when evil has been crushed beneath your own

Then the Inner Dracula appears

And then you face yourself, face the power you used to kill Satan, while a bad-ass version of this song plays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dznUMYJAj0A

And Alucard follows you into the darkness, and you and he fight the Inner Dracula to mirror the battle from Mirror of Fate

And you kill it

And Gabriel finally - finally - lets go of his pain, of his hatred, and breaks the curse on his blood

And the world goes dark, and Gabriel and Trevor are shown dead on the street, side by side. The Sun rises on them, and they disappear

That is literally what I thought was going to happen

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    That actually sounds cool and like it would work in a video game format.

This discussion has been closed.