As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania / Bloodstained

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I think it's more the case that this is just a collection of 8 bit and 16 bit Castlevania games and the portable ones will (hopefully) be released in a future collection.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    At this point I'm actively suspecting that there are technical reasons preventing them from porting over the GBA games. Like they no longer have access to the original versions or something.

I think there is a second collection coming with the Metroidvanias.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    At this point I'm actively suspecting that there are technical reasons preventing them from porting over the GBA games. Like they no longer have access to the original versions or something.

They released them on the Wii U eShop, so I wouldn't think so.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I think it's more the case that this is just a collection of 8 bit and 16 bit Castlevania games and the portable ones will (hopefully) be released in a future collection.

Yeah this is my suspicion. I mean, out of anything, no Symphony? There has to be a second collection coming later. These games are all suspiciously on the early end of releases.

And legit, I really, really would like a collection with the DS Castlevanias especially. If they could find a way to port those over to a single screen format, all the better (seriously, just drop the drawing bullshit in Dawn of Sorrow, no one liked it anyways). I think the second screen was only ever used for the map anyways (which I mean, was nice, but you can put that on a pause menu)

Edit: Oh, and assuming a second collection IS coming, this is a pretty great list. Kid Dracula is a pretty sweet deep cut.

Also a second collection would actually address my initial unhappiness at the number of games here. You hear "Anniversary Collection" and expect a big blowout, but there's only 8. But splitting that up into two releases does make sense - it's essentially what Mega Man did. I wouldn't even be surprised if they charged more for the second one since they'll be newer/bigger games (I mean they still charge like $10 for Symphony alone in places)

Edit 2: Oh! I was searching Twitter and maybe Konami Europe spoiled it :P

"The first Castlevania Anniversary Collection?"

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Konami: "Castlevania is canceled, it just isn't profitable."

Also Konami: "Who wants to buy the games we've made already again, again!"

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Konami: "Castlevania is canceled, it just isn't profitable."

Also Konami: "Who wants to buy the games we've made already again, again!"

I'm your huckleberry.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TBH I wonder if the guy who used to be in charge of Konami left or something because they've seemed less ass-ish in recent years

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    TBH I wonder if the guy who used to be in charge of Konami left or something because they've seemed less ass-ish in recent years

There's a new boss in charge of the Yakuza.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah they keep saying 'First' Castlevania Anniversary Collection. They've done it a few times now, there will be another one. Hopefully with the GBA Metroidvanias, Rondo, and SOTN on PC.

• Options
    Don't know why, but I feel like they will do three of these. It makes sense for me for some reason.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    What would be left for the third collection? Lords of Shadow? Lament of Innocence? Castlevania 64?

... they are totally doing this, aren't they.
    Zython wrote: »

They released them on the Wii U eShop, so I wouldn't think so.

They just supplied a rom for Nintendo's spiffy emulator, which they will not have access to now. I do wonder about them going through the effort of making their own emulation here, especially for a system that normally needs a copyrighted bios to run. You can double these issues for NDS emulation as well.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Second collection game ideas:
    Rondo of Blood (PC Engine CD)
    Dracula X (SNES)
    Castlevania Legends (GB)
    Symphony of the Night (PS1)
    Castlevania 64 (N64)
    Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
    Circle of the Moon (GBA)
    Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)

Third collection ideas:
    Castlevania Chronicles (X68000 game on PS1)
    Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
    Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
    Portrait of Ruin (DS)
    Order of Ecclesia (DS)
    Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (WiiWare)
    Lament of Innocence (PS2)
    Curse of Darkness (PS2, Xbox)

Games I left out for whatever reason:
    Vampire Killer (MSX)
    Judgment (Wii)
    Harmony of Despair (XBLA/PSN)
    Lords of Shadow series

Maybe I missed another game?

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Getting aria, dawn, portrait and ecclesia in one collection might destroy me.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Getting aria, dawn, portrait and ecclesia in one collection might destroy me.

??

These games aren't that expensive on ebay.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Still working on my first playthrough of Rondo. Jesus fuck this game is hard. I think I'm at the last level, at least. I'm doing better with Maria than Richter, so I'm sticking to her even though everything hits her like a fucking dump truck. That double jump really helps, I wish Richter had it. Not 100% I want to go back for a second run to find the hidden levels, just getting punished. I do really like the aesthetic of Rondo (ugly ass menus aside) and kinda wish they had made another one like this, but maybe tone down the difficulty a touch.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Chris Kohler took a look at the Konami Arcade Classics collection at Kotaku. It does not bode well for the upcoming Castlevania collection.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    No too surprising as the Castlevania Requiem collection has the exact same problem of being shockingly bare bones.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I understand the words "ripped by fans on YouTube" and "quality is absolutely horrible". Which I think is all I need to understand?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how he got the Castlevania collection already. Then I remembered Konami released a different collection this week. Derp.

• Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how he got the Castlevania collection already. Then I remembered Konami released a different collection this week. Derp.

I own this and it sounds fine.
    0838c62n8xmp.png
    I would expect Konami to save a few bucks and reuse this for the NES titles.

• Options
    Cheap ass company.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    If they're good ports, I wouldn't even be mad. Just put a wrapper on them to support higher resolutions and 120 hz monitors. Easy.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I would absolutely love them to add Castlevania 64 to a collection.

As jank as that game is it was the only N64 I had for awhile and i played the hell out of it.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »

As jank as that game is it was the only N64 I had for awhile and i played the hell out of it.

I would also like to replay them (Legacy of Darkness and C64). The only bad memory I have of playing C64 is the hedge maze, and the stupid as all hell Nitro run.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Zunde wrote: »

I would also like to replay them (Legacy of Darkness and C64). The only bad memory I have of playing C64 is the hedge maze, and the stupid as all hell Nitro run.

They were Tomb Raider clones. You'll play them for ten minutes and get bored hunting for switches and hanging from ledges in 2019.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    If they're good ports, I wouldn't even be mad. Just put a wrapper on them to support higher resolutions and 120 hz monitors. Easy.

I read the posts in that tweet and apparently they were only referring to music in the menus. The games are emulated, so none of the music in them is any different.

So pretty much the same with this collection. Seems like the biggest gripe with that other collection was a lack of options. So, if you just want all the games in one neat package, you shouldn't need to worry. If you are expecting advanced options, extras, neat wrapping etc, well, you will be disappointed maybe.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Oh sweet, there's a Kickstarter update for Bloodstained saying the issues with the Switch version demo at PAX were an overheating problem. That is super reassuring to hear.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Really disappointing they can't optimize the game to run 60fps on Switch.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Really disappointing they can't optimize the game to run 60fps on Switch.

So very disappointed to see that it'll be 30FPS even docked.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    I mean, the fact they could get a version running on Switch on what may have been short notice is pretty admirable. There might be the possibility they can fix some background stuff and get it up there to 60 later.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    This doesn't look like a game that should.be having trouble running on the switch.

• Options
    That isn't really how changing over code to a new platform works though.

I mean, the visuals are not all that simple either. But, they could have gone for near emulation just to get it moved over on short notice. Getting the most out of the hardware usually involved planning on making it using that hardware early on.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't mind non-60 FPS media as long as the frame rate is otherwise consistent.

I grew up watching television where sitcoms used a particular frame rate for style so I mean, I dunno. 30fps, give it to me, I'll gladly shovel that into my eye mouths.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Its Inti Creates, what did you expect. They couldn't even get half their sprite games to run 60 FPS on the 3DS.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Inti was dumped a bit ago. It's ArtPlay, DICO, and WayForward now.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Nice. I hope there's some info coming about when backers will receive their physical copies.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I just noticed the post about the resolution and framerate of the Switch version. Do we know those specs for the PS4/XB1 versions? Can't find any info through quick googling.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Nice. I hope there's some info coming about when backers will receive their physical copies.

As someone who backed the $100 tier, I do hope I get my stuff within days of June 18th. I've seen plenty of kickstarters where that didn't happen.

This discussion has been closed.