As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechwarrior Online] The Clans invaded, and melted our puny IS servers.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I've yet to drop on a match with turrets- its all been the non turret maps so far.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Nope. You are sticking a newbie in a mech that requires knowledge of torso-twisting, weapon loadouts, tactics, and patience to get the most out of, which generally leads to getting blown up by other players in the heavy/assault meta. I think a heavy has more staying power = more time to live = more time to practice = more fun.

Mediums are cheaper though, I'll give you that.

..and I say this as someone who pilots mediums a lot.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I know a lot of you guys have a soft spot in your hearts for hunchbacks for some reason and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's really not a particularly good starter chassis. For a mech that is likely to run 70-80 km/h at best in the hands of a new player, they are under-armed and under-armored. Practically speaking their options as far as weapon layout are also really limited. There's nothing about mediums that makes them particularly good for learning how to play either.

I would start with either a K2 or a JM6-S. Either one would be easily covered by the cadet bonus and let you try out a lot more weapons and fits than you can on a medium. More armor and firepower makes them more forgiving of mistakes and also more likely to actually be useful to a team.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    As much as I like mediums and wish the game wasn't totally fucked against them, I really can't suggest mediums as good starter mechs anymore. The horrendous metagame means they will just die too fast to really learn much without assloads of time spent waiting for a toasted mech to get finished with a match; yeah, starting with heavies means a longer wait for better/more mechs, but heavies can at least survive some hits and let people live long enough to learn from mistakes. Unless you already know how to play the game decently, newbies in mediums are going to spend lots and lots of time turning the wrong corners and getting one- or two-shotted by bullshit.

To be honest, I cannot stress enough how much I think new players should just stay away from the game until PGI actually delivers on class and weight limits. The current metagame is as hostile as it's ever been to new players, and class limits will do a LOT to tone that down since it will make the insanely-awful assault stacking, which is currently the norm, impossible. A month spent waiting for the game to become halfway decent will be a lot better than month rapidly learning how shitty the game is right now, getting fed up with it, and just forgetting about it.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    With how bad newbies can be at piloting putting them in a bigger chassis that moves slower and is easier to get cored wont necessarily mean a longer match for them.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    A slower mech means they also can't leave the group behind to get into trouble, which is a really common issue with newbies. And against veterans abusing pinpoint bullshit, speed isn't really much of an advantage unless you're going 100 kph or more, especially when the newbie doesn't have a feel for what places to not run out into and whatnot.

Yeah, a new guy in a heavy is easier to hit, but the heavy also doesn't need to have an XL to have enough speed to keep up while carrying solid firepower. They can plod along at 60-70 kph, learn to deal damage, and not get cored in just one or two hits out as the sort of easy target the lazy pinpoint players want if there are mediums or lights around; a heavy will attract less attention right now than a medium, simply because a medium can be a really easy kill.

With the current situation of front-loaded firepower being everything about the current metagame, heavies can take the hits and bring enough firepower of their own to learn without the sort of immediate, inexplicable deaths that instantly turn people off to any given game.

But that would be the "right now" estimate. Might change in a few weeks, at which point mediums could potentially become solid starters again since every fight won't be completely swamped with heavies and assaults. I would suggest waiting it out faaaaar more than anybody trying to get into the game with any mech class right now.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    pretty much the whole issue with mediums right now is that they aren't fast enough to use speed for defense. Even mediums that run 100 km/h plus aren't really that hard for competent shooter players to hit, and the ones that have low engine caps are really hamstrung.

You need to do some pretty advanced stuff to make mediums decent in the game as it currently is; smart twisting with cents or hunches, big XLs for the heavier mediums, etc.

For a new player they compare pretty unfavorably to a 65 ton heavy, onto which you can slap a couple medium lasers and whatever ballistics you feel like trying out and have an at least decent shot at actually hurting something

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Regarding recommending new players stay away -- the whole rant is how Mechwarrior has been since multiplayer was introduced. They've all been pinpoint meta games with no aim bloom. Outside of player-imposed restrictions like leagues they've all been tonnage unrestricted free-for-alls. What deviations there have been were due in large part to primitive netcode.

People who have always hated Mechwarrior will hate this one. And of course there's no singleplayer component. And private matches are still 2 months away, so leagues are going nowhere until then. But for people who played random multiplayer matches in the previous games, the fundamental gameplay isn't really any worse now.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Banshee was always underarmed traditionally, but 1 missile, 1 ballistic, and 4 energy just seems REALLY underarmed for a 95 tonner.

That said, my favorite was the BNC-3M, which had two PPCs and two MLs and that was it. Oh, and two PPC-damage-level fistpunching godweapons.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    The Atlas was dethroned long, long ago by the Highlander, which I don't think this Banshee will be able to top. There's not a whole lot you can do with 4 ballistic slots in one component. If anything it just gives the pinpoint snipers a fat, juicy target since that's where all of your firepower is located. Also, no Jump Jets.

I guess I should have clarified...I meant with regards to the non-jumping assaults. I consider the Highlander and Victor to be in a different category.

Though apparently there are two Banshee variants that can jump? Doubt that we will see them though.

It looks like the ones that could jump are custom jobs, which would have made for interesting Hero variants, but oh well.

It's doubly sad they won't use the canon customs here for variety. That -11X model looks freaking amazing; a build literally meant to tank? Yes please.

The BNC-11X is way, way forward in the timeline, Jihad-era.

Of course, which is a shame. I think it would be fun if PGI released a mech, even if it was just a single Hero, that was designed to tank at the expense of damage output. Give it a quirk like 'extra durable', and allow it to mount more armor than normal.

Imagine crashing through lines in that thing. You'd be a legitimate terror, backed up with a good squad. I'd drive an assault just for that.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I really need to get more matches in. My time has been sucked up so much recently that I hardly play but when I do, it's been enjoyable! I think they'll hopefully tweak some UI stuff shortly to make grouping easier and shiz.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    The UI grouping mechanic doesn't seem that bad - it's the loadout screens that are horrible.

Also, it's been a long time since I've seen your purple mechs, Altmann. :smiley:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Maybe they should make jumpjets generate heat based on how much tonnage they're lifting.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    The other advantages to mediums is that, stock, they have fewer weapon groups to confuse a new player.

I will certainly concede that the K2 is also a good starter mech, but then you've got them in catapults, which aren't as straight forward a chassis as say, a centurion.

If SRMs weren't as messed up as they seem to be, I'd still recommend the HBK-4SP as the best starter mech. Cheap. Symmetrical. Works with a STD engine. Decent armor. Doesn't have a huge "weak spot".

I guess you guys are saying the meta is Heavy heavy, but a new player won't experience that straight away, will they?

Anyway, it's all kind of moot. They've done a good job of upgrading all the stock Trials to Champ builds, and I think that's gone a long way to helping out.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Also, I'm biased because I still wreck shop in my meds.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I guess you guys are saying the meta is Heavy heavy, but a new player won't experience that straight away, will they?

Even in the low ELO brackets Heavies and Assaults are everywhere. Once the 3/3/3/3 matchmaking goes in mediums might be more viable. I don't remember who brought it up, but toning assaults down to two and adding another medium to the spread might be even better, and PGI did say that they are willing to adjust the spread if it proves necessary, so I guess we will get to see how that goes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    What I think of every time I see the thread title:

478.strip.gif

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    To be honest, I cannot stress enough how much I think new players should just stay away from the game until PGI actually delivers on class and weight limits. The current metagame is as hostile as it's ever been to new players, and class limits will do a LOT to tone that down since it will make the insanely-awful assault stacking, which is currently the norm, impossible. A month spent waiting for the game to become halfway decent will be a lot better than month rapidly learning how shitty the game is right now, getting fed up with it, and just forgetting about it.

Can we not try to sabotage the game by advising people not to play it? It's not like PGI needs any help scaring away new players. If new people want to try this out, then let them. Advise them no how not to have a shitty time of things. Don't actively try to chase them away with horror stories.

If you're a new person reading this and are interested in playing this game but intimidated by the complexities, stop by our Ventrilo server at:

Host: vent20.gameservers.com
    Port: 4384
    Password: A synonym for dick! (not literally this phrase)

and sit in one of the Mechwarrior Online lobbies (doesn't matter which). There's usually someone around during regular business hours (4PM to Midnight+ EST). If it's empty, get in anyway. Odds are someone will show up soon. We don't exclude. If you post here or hang out in Vent, we consider you one of our own.

Don't get frustrated if you die a lot early on. This game has a real learning curve in both piloting and mech building, and not a whole lot of clear official documentation on how shit works. If you have any questions, ask! The thread OP has a lot of good info, though a lot of it is from before 12v12 and might be a bit outdated.

You will get your ass kicked, often. Sometimes unfairly! That's just a part of the game, but everything is easier if you have backup!

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    You will get your ass kicked, often. Sometimes unfairly! That's just a part of the game, but everything is easier if you have backup!

Getting murdered in polite company is definitely more fun than getting murdered alone.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Cannot stress enough how much more fun the game is and how much more effective you can be when playing with friends!

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

Can we not try to sabotage the game by advising people not to play it? It's not like PGI needs any help scaring away new players. If new people want to try this out, then let them. Advise them no how not to have a shitty time of things. Don't actively try to chase them away with horror stories.

If you're a new person reading this and are interested in playing this game but intimidated by the complexities, stop by our Ventrilo server at:

and sit in one of the Mechwarrior Online lobbies (doesn't matter which). There's usually someone around during regular business hours (4PM to Midnight+ EST). If it's empty, get in anyway. Odds are someone will show up soon. We don't exclude. If you post here or hang out in Vent, we consider you one of our own.

Don't get frustrated if you die a lot early on. This game has a real learning curve in both piloting and mech building, and not a whole lot of clear official documentation on how shit works. If you have any questions, ask! The thread OP has a lot of good info, though a lot of it is from before 12v12 and might be a bit outdated.

I dunno man. Even with friends, during my last time playing, it was just a shitshow. Matches were constantly lopsided people AND weight-wise, SRMs were literally useless, and the incomprehensible UI exacerbated all those problems.

I definitely have suggested, with all seriousness, for people to wait until PGI does the absolute minimum in making this game playable again. Shit, I finally caved and uninstalled (until we get UI 2.0 as opposed to the base framework AND decent matchmaking anyway), and I have a shitton of time and money invested into the game. Someone new's just going to drop it entirely.

If PGI wants new players, they're welcome to have a game that's not a shambles.

• Options
    Cannot stress enough how much more fun the game is and how much more effective you can be when playing with friends!

This reminds me: I finally got a new headset! So I am up for grouping up using Vent sometime, if anybody can still muster the energy. Though I haven't played the game at all in like...two months.

• Options
    Quite a few people play this actually. It might be different people, but I see four-man's fairly often in Vent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

I dunno man. Even with friends, during my last time playing, it was just a shitshow. Matches were constantly lopsided people AND weight-wise, SRMs were literally useless, and the incomprehensible UI exacerbated all those problems.

I definitely have suggested, with all seriousness, for people to wait until PGI does the absolute minimum in making this game playable again. Shit, I finally caved and uninstalled (until we get UI 2.0 as opposed to the base framework AND decent matchmaking anyway), and I have a shitton of time and money invested into the game. Someone new's just going to drop it entirely.

Most of the complaints us bittervets have stem from the lack of forward progress from our perspective. Those are going to be irrelevant to a new player, because they don't know how much better the game played a year ago. If they try it and don't like it, then they can always stop.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options

Most of the complaints us bittervets have stem from the lack of forward progress from our perspective. Those are going to be irrelevant to a new player, because they don't know how much better the game played a year ago. If they try it and don't like it, then they can always stop.

Dude.

How is "This entire weapon type deals little to no damage, even when you score a direct hit" a bittervet complaint? Or "Yeah sometimes the matchmaker just forgets to give teams a full lance, and you'll usually see shortages of one or two people every game" anywhere near the calibur of "We used to not have stacks of assaults all the time forever" or "Poptarting used to not be extremely effective". Admittedly the UI 2.0 stuff is probably going to not bother new players much, but it's still very difficult to ascertain what's going on, since they decided to shove all the important information in a corner in a tiny font so they can show off all their basically identical pictures of engines at something like 250x250.

If the game functioned, I wouldn't be recommending people not play the game. But at the moment it isn't just "Man this game used to be better" it's "Man this game used to actually work", and I cannot in good conscience recommend people play, as mentioned in my last post, a shambles.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I play regularly. I continue to have fun. I keep pushing the game on my friends, with caveats that suit the situation in-game and surrounding it. Many have stuck with it.

It's the people you play with that makes this game fun, no question. I love my drops with you guys and my friends. Stomp, roll, or close match, regardless.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Dude.

How is "This entire weapon type deals little to no damage, even when you score a direct hit" a bittervet complaint? Or "Yeah sometimes the matchmaker just forgets to give teams a full lance, and you'll usually see shortages of one or two people every game" anywhere near the calibur of "We used to not have stacks of assaults all the time forever" or "Poptarting used to not be extremely effective". Admittedly the UI 2.0 stuff is probably going to not bother new players much, but it's still very difficult to ascertain what's going on, since they decided to shove all the important information in a corner in a tiny font so they can show off all their basically identical pictures of engines at something like 250x250.

If the game functioned, I wouldn't be recommending people not play the game. But at the moment it isn't just "Man this game used to be better" it's "Man this game used to actually work", and I cannot in good conscience recommend people play, as mentioned in my last post, a shambles.

Considering that almost every weapon was affected by poor hit registration before HSR was implemented, the situation isn't much different now as it was then. The only difference is that hit registration issues are more lopsided, so only one particular class of weapon (SRM) is noticeably affected.

Disconnects have frequently been a problem in this game. In fact, I'll argue that a disconnect on your team is actually less painful now than in 8v8, since one lost mech constitutes a smaller percentage of your team.

It's not like I'm satisfied with the game as is. I think it's a pile of broken bullshit too! The difference is, I'm still having fun with it, and I'd appreciate it if people would let new players judge for themselves if it's worth their time. If you can't deal with the broken shit in the game, then don't play! Don't shit on other people's good times by chasing off fresh blood.

EDIT: It's getting too angry in here.

Time to call in some backup!

RhTHdr6.png

All systems adorable

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    A pile of broken bullshit is an exaggeration, but I agree the game has flaws.

While the mechlab UI is a hot mess, the less mechs you have / are working with, the easier it is to deal with.
    Player disconnects are always a problem whether they do it before the match loads (causing a blank space on your team) or after the match loads (creating a free kill for the enemy team and an annoying mech you have to skip/watch be destroyed when observing).
    SRMs are wonky, but there is always the option to swap to SSRM or LRM, or use the weight for something else.
    The poptart / ppc meta is stale and requires more effort to defeat than it does to implement, but not so much that it is the only viable playstyle.

But like others have said, I generally enjoy myself once I'm in a match and that enjoyment is exponential with the number of other players I'm grouped with on vent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I think the issue for people is that the game in it's current state will actually be chasing off the fresh blood you so desire smiley_eyebrows.gif. Whereas if that same delicious newbie checked the game in a few months, they might be more likely to stick around. The idea being that in the long run, player retention will be better that way.

I don't think in anyway are people bitter enough to be trying to get people to write off the game completely. Although I do agree with you that the salinity of this thread is at dead sea proportions.

• Options
    I wonder what model of Atlas that is supposed to be. It has the 2 MLAS in the CT like the AS7-D, but it also has LRM10 in both RT and LT.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm only ever saying "It's really not that fun at the moment" to people who directly ask "Hey, MechMantis, is MWO fun?"

and no, in my estimation, it is not. I'm not going to give out false recommendations because I want PGI to do better, that would make me a shill.

Also, once PGI actually implements any of the things we've been clamoring for since, well, ever, I'll probably hop back on.

• Options
    Early concept art probably. A lot of the Atlas art on Sarna shows 10 tubes in each side torso for the LRM20

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    honestly the advice for new players to start with mediums is pretty bad

I agree. Starting in a medium mech nowadays can be a recipe for frustration. I'd recommend a versatile heavy for a beginner mech.

Nope. Medium mechs are still the best way to learn, and you're far less likely to spend money on an expensive mech you end up hating.

The HBK 4G and 4P are still very good mechs.

I'd recommend the BJ, but I really feel it requires an XL to be good, and that's obviously a new player gate.

I'll also add that as long as you stick with your team (and if you don't, it doesn't matter what size mech you are in), then medium mechs aren't usually priority targets, which means you get to play longer in the match and see more action. There's less chance of frustration due to not being able to escape a bad situation because you are generally a bit faster. As a new player, cheaper is way nicer, grindy bits are never fun and being able to try out different weapons/mechs sooner is discovering what battletech is all about.

x5jS9QJ.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Patch notes!
    http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/152113-patch-notes-13273-04-mar-2014/
    Patch Number: 1.3.273

Change Log

UPDATE

UPDATE

Greetings MechWarriors,

Boom! Banshee is here! The “La Malinche” Banshee hero leads the charge of this Assault Mech. This Hero ‘Mech is available now for MC and comes equipped with serious fire power and 30% C-Bill boost. The Standard Variants of the Banshee chassis will be available for MC on the 11th and C-Bills on the 18th. The same goes for the Wolverine! Soon you will be able to pilot this Phoenix collection 'Mech which will be available for MC on the 11th and C-Bills on the 18th.

We have a new Champion in our line up of trial mechs. The Cataphract CTF-3D© take it for a spin and decide if this mech is for you. It will be available for MC on the 11th and comes with a 10%XP boost so you can level this mech fast.
    DirectX 11 is now supported! So if you have a DirectX 11 capable video card check out your video options. We will continue to add and enable DX11 features within the game and content as we move forward.

Turret! Turret! The rest of the Assault maps have had turrets added to them so be careful out there. Jump jets get an overhaul and it looks like some of us will need to add some J.J.'s back into our mechs.

There are a hand full of great bug fixes as well so read on!

See you on the battlefield,
    Matt Newman

Content

New Hero Mech
    "La Malinche" BNC-LM

Tonnage: 95
    Engine: 380 XL
    Top Speed: 64.8 kph
    Max Engine Rating: 400
    Torso Movement:
    110 degrees to each side.
    20 degrees up and down.
    Arm Movement:
    20 degrees to each side.
    30 degrees up and down.
    Armor: 560 (Standard)
    Internal Structure: Endo-Steel
    Weapons & Equipment:
    Head: Small Pulse Laser
    Left Arm: PPC
    Left Torso: AC/10, Medium Pulse Laser
    Right Torso: LRM 15
    Right Arm: Large Pulse Laser
    Hardpoints:
    Head: 1 Energy
    Left Arm: 1 Energy
    Left Torso: 1 Ballistic, 1 Energy
    Center Torso: 1 AMS
    Right Torso: 1 Missile
    Right Arm: 1 Energy

Heat Sinks: 16 Double

Jump Jets: 0 (0 Max)

ECM Capable?: No

Module Slots: 2
    Movement Archetype: Huge
    Quirks: 10% lower torso twist speed.
    30% C-Bill Bonus

New Trial Champion Mech
    Cataphract CTF-3D©

Tonnage: 70
    Engine: 280 Standard
    Max Engine Rating: 340
    Torso Movement:
    90 degrees to each side.
    20 degrees up and down.
    Arm Movement:
    20 degrees to each side.
    30 degrees up and down.
    Armor: 368 (Standard)
    Weapons & Equipment:
    Left Arm: Medium Laser
    Left Torso: Large Laser
    Right Torso: Large Laser, LB 10-X AC
    Right Arm: Medium Laser
    Hardpoints:
    Left Torso: 1 Energy, 1 AMS
    Right Torso: 1 Energy, 1 Ballistic
    Right Arm: 1 Energy, 1 Ballistic

Jump Jets: 1 (4 Max)

Movement Archetype: Medium

DX11
    DirectX 11 is now supported.

Front End
    Tutorial popup will trigger once per user. This is stored in the user directory and will be triggered again if the user folder was deleted or reinstalled.

Performance
    Default system setting set to Medium.
    Please note that enabling MSAA in DX11 can drop fps by 20+ fps this is an expensive technique for high end PCs.

Gameplay
    All maps now have turrets in Assault Mode.
    Jump Jet Fixes and Updates:
    Jump Jets will now have slower turning rates based on the class of Jump Jets equipped and the 'Mech's base turning speed.
    Heavies and Assaults will notice this the most as they will not be able to snap turn as fast as they used to.
    Medium 'Mechs will barely notice the change.
    Light 'Mechs will not notice any change.
    There is now a significant difference between bringing full Jump Jets and 1 Jump Jet and there is a linear scale to them based on the number equipped to the 'Mech.
    The issue of 1 Jump Jet providing nearly the same amount of thrust as 3 Jump Jets is no longer the case.
    Bug Fixes
    Fixed an issue where large Friends lists took a long time to display.
    Weapon Range Modules now affect Artemis Weapons.
    Testing Grounds are now affected by players' Pilot Modules and Mech Efficiencies.
    Devices now enumerate correctly on Windows 8 using DX11.
    Window Sizes now work correctly on Windows 8 using DX11.
    Fixed a bug in the hardware skinning shader that could impact Radeon Users.
    Known Issues
    nVidia 3D Vision is not currently supported.
    nVidia TXAA is not currently supported.
    We thank you for your patience and we look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!
    - The MechWarrior® Online™ Team

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Is it me or is the hero Banshee basically an Atlas-K with more speed and one less AMS.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    110 degree twist per side on the Malinche. That's a lot of twist on an Assault mech.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    The Cataphract-1X is the mech to recommend for a first mech.

Endo it, pay the double heatsink tax, add 2 tons of AC/10 ammo, max out the armor in the side and center torsos, bring the leg armor to 43 each, and then add a bunch of heatsinks.

The stock loadout is just fine, but you can, at some future point, buy an AC/20, 3 tons of ammo for that, and a large laser, and switch out the PPC for a LL, and the AC/20 for the AC/10 and you have a brawler. Switch back for a mid-range loadout any time you like.

• Options
    Patch notes!
    http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/152113-patch-notes-13273-04-mar-2014/
    Patch Number: 1.3.273

Change Log

UPDATE

UPDATE

Greetings MechWarriors,

Boom! Banshee is here! The “La Malinche” Banshee hero leads the charge of this Assault Mech. This Hero ‘Mech is available now for MC and comes equipped with serious fire power and 30% C-Bill boost. The Standard Variants of the Banshee chassis will be available for MC on the 11th and C-Bills on the 18th. The same goes for the Wolverine! Soon you will be able to pilot this Phoenix collection 'Mech which will be available for MC on the 11th and C-Bills on the 18th.

We have a new Champion in our line up of trial mechs. The Cataphract CTF-3D© take it for a spin and decide if this mech is for you. It will be available for MC on the 11th and comes with a 10%XP boost so you can level this mech fast.
    DirectX 11 is now supported! So if you have a DirectX 11 capable video card check out your video options. We will continue to add and enable DX11 features within the game and content as we move forward.

Turret! Turret! The rest of the Assault maps have had turrets added to them so be careful out there. Jump jets get an overhaul and it looks like some of us will need to add some J.J.'s back into our mechs.

There are a hand full of great bug fixes as well so read on!

See you on the battlefield,
    Matt Newman

Content

New Hero Mech
    "La Malinche" BNC-LM

Tonnage: 95
    Engine: 380 XL
    Max Engine Rating: 400
    Torso Movement:
    110 degrees to each side.
    20 degrees up and down.
    Arm Movement:
    20 degrees to each side.
    30 degrees up and down.
    Armor: 560 (Standard)
    Weapons & Equipment:
    Head: Small Pulse Laser
    Left Arm: PPC
    Left Torso: AC/10, Medium Pulse Laser
    Right Torso: LRM 15
    Right Arm: Large Pulse Laser
    Hardpoints:
    Head: 1 Energy
    Left Torso: 1 Ballistic, 1 Energy
    Center Torso: 1 AMS
    Right Torso: 1 Missile
    Right Arm: 1 Energy

Jump Jets: 0 (0 Max)

Movement Archetype: Huge
    Quirks: 10% lower torso twist speed.
    30% C-Bill Bonus

New Trial Champion Mech
    Cataphract CTF-3D©

Tonnage: 70
    Engine: 280 Standard
    Max Engine Rating: 340
    Torso Movement:
    90 degrees to each side.
    20 degrees up and down.
    Arm Movement:
    20 degrees to each side.
    30 degrees up and down.
    Armor: 368 (Standard)
    Weapons & Equipment:
    Left Arm: Medium Laser
    Left Torso: Large Laser
    Right Torso: Large Laser, LB 10-X AC
    Right Arm: Medium Laser
    Hardpoints:
    Left Torso: 1 Energy, 1 AMS
    Right Torso: 1 Energy, 1 Ballistic
    Right Arm: 1 Energy, 1 Ballistic

Jump Jets: 1 (4 Max)

Movement Archetype: Medium

DX11
    DirectX 11 is now supported.

Front End
    Tutorial popup will trigger once per user. This is stored in the user directory and will be triggered again if the user folder was deleted or reinstalled.

Performance
    Default system setting set to Medium.
    Please note that enabling MSAA in DX11 can drop fps by 20+ fps this is an expensive technique for high end PCs.

Gameplay
    All maps now have turrets in Assault Mode.
    Jump Jet Fixes and Updates:
    Jump Jets will now have slower turning rates based on the class of Jump Jets equipped and the 'Mech's base turning speed.
    Heavies and Assaults will notice this the most as they will not be able to snap turn as fast as they used to.
    Medium 'Mechs will barely notice the change.
    Light 'Mechs will not notice any change.
    There is now a significant difference between bringing full Jump Jets and 1 Jump Jet and there is a linear scale to them based on the number equipped to the 'Mech.
    The issue of 1 Jump Jet providing nearly the same amount of thrust as 3 Jump Jets is no longer the case.
    Bug Fixes
    Fixed an issue where large Friends lists took a long time to display.
    Weapon Range Modules now affect Artemis Weapons.
    Testing Grounds are now affected by players' Pilot Modules and Mech Efficiencies.
    Devices now enumerate correctly on Windows 8 using DX11.
    Window Sizes now work correctly on Windows 8 using DX11.
    Fixed a bug in the hardware skinning shader that could impact Radeon Users.
    Known Issues
    nVidia 3D Vision is not currently supported.
    nVidia TXAA is not currently supported.
    We thank you for your patience and we look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!
    - The MechWarrior® Online™ Team

I like that the turning-while-jumping rates are dependent on mech chassis size. Sounds like things may be business as usual for lights but different for assaults. We'll have to see how the thrust:jump jet scale works in play. I wish they were adding cursor shake to descent as well though (for heavier mechs particularly).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rdmgrazielrdmgraziel Registered User regular
    Mediums, despite how weak they are in the current environment, still make good learning 'Mechs. The Hunchbacks in particular, because every hunchback (except the Grid Iron with its silly XL) comes with a simple-but-effective STOCK loadout, almost-max armor (a bit off the legs, but who legs a Hunchie going 64?), a specialist role it caters to (Brawling, Striking, Support), the hardpoints to try out a variety of weapons/styles, and even some zombie potential so you don't feel worthless after most of you has been blown away. Additionally, the high-mounted Hunch hardpoints make it easy to always shoot at things you're aiming at, which makes learning how to aim with different weapons easier as well.

There isn't a single Heavy chassis that has the same variety and simple-but-effecitve stock loadouts across ALL of its variants (I suppose the Orion and Dragon come kind of close, but the former doesn't have high-mounted hardpoints for easy direct-fire support, and the latter doesn't have the space to use LRMs in an effective fashion).

Jump jet nerfs will do very little against poptarting, they were aimed at nerfing the mobility they granted to Highlanders and Victors (which could turn drastically faster in the air if they were brawling and not poptarting), although requiring more jets for lift should help a little.

I look forward to seeing the Baen Sidhe wailing across the battlefield, but most of it's timeline appropriate stock loadouts are kind of awful, with the exceptions of the 3S and 5S which should be very good.

• Options
    Smurfy's has the Banshee variants up. I don't know if any of it is official, but they have something.

The base variant can fit 3 AC5s and 2 PPCs

Good thing it doesn't have jump jets!

sXXjb1B.png