Options

THQ Announces Company Of Heroes: Opposing Fronts

2»

• Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Thing about playing vs AI is that it's godamn retarded.

"THE KEY TO VICTORY IS TO AMASS TROOP TRANSPORTS!"
    I thought it was rushing flame throwers.

Flame throwers AND unmanned troop transports! With that strategy you can't possibly lose!

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    strategery wrote: »

Flame throwers AND unmanned troop transports! With that strategy you can't possibly lose!

Flame thrower + troop transports = halftrack with flameth- OH GOD IT BURNS.

I got hit with an axis AI rush including 2 of those things, and my anti-tank guns weren't up yet. Good lord, the burning and screaming. D:

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »

I got hit with an axis AI rush including 2 of those things, and my anti-tank guns weren't up yet. Good lord, the burning and screaming. D:

If you think those brought on the burning and the screaming. Imagine if it was a Croc.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »

If you think those brought on the burning and the screaming. Imagine if it was a Croc.

Any time there was a bonus objective that involved taking out some rocket battery or something while on defense, a lone Croc could roll in there, burn out the bastards and roll back without dying. Which was a relief to me since I needed every other vehicle for defense.

An Axis skirmish game quickly taught me just how painful and humiliating that is in reverse.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We should play more CoH.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Now hopfully the announcement of Dawn of War 2 is just around the corner... Granted, this being standalone, I will likely have to pick it up finally, I was in the multiplayer beta for CoH, just never got around to buying it.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirToons wrote: »
    We should play more CoH.

Agreed! Although people should try out the Battletest mod, since it's a little less stupid than 1.51 right now, what with the superCroc and bugs and super duper Airborne.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    lack of russians confuses and disappoints me.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ain't nothign wrong with super duper airborne.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    lack of russians confuses and disappoints me.

The randomness of that statement should it be said out of context just cracked me up.

ww47fu1.jpg

Read it, Relic!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I love airborne, but the supply drop lets you tech up to tanks without even controlling the map, and the AT gun drop means you don't even have to build a motorpool 90% of the time. Minor changes to these abilities - increasing the cooldown of the Supply Drop ability and the cost of the AT drop - made a wonderful difference in Battletest, from what I've played.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I love airborne, but the supply drop lets you tech up to tanks without even controlling the map, and the AT gun drop means you don't even have to build a motorpool 90% of the time. Minor changes to these abilities - increasing the cooldown of the Supply Drop ability and the cost of the AT drop - made a wonderful difference in Battletest, from what I've played.

They did increase the AT drop cost from 290 (which was only 10 above the AT construction cost at the motor pool). However, I am going to definitely agree with the Supply Drop cooldown increase.

But then again, half the time I don't even remember to drop more stuff when it's ready because I'm so focused on the front line. If I have the manpower (which is never), then I will drop an airborne squad to pick up the mortar and MG. Manpower usually goes to getting more M10s/Shermans until I can take care of the inevitable axis StuG rush.

Has anyone tried to use the recon to drop an AT squad behind the enemy base? I think stealthing a sniper, sending him to the back, and having him cover the AT gun could be insanely annoying.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wait... You use an airborne squad to man the weapons? That's like... really expensive. Use riflemen man, they're dirt cheap. Or even engies(but 2 engie squads cost more than 1 rifle squad).

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wait... You use an airborne squad to man the weapons? That's like... really expensive. Use riflemen man, they're dirt cheap. Or even engies(but 2 engie squads cost more than 1 rifle squad).

True, but when I play American, I don't build a barracks. I also drop the supplies to the front lines along with the airborne so they can use it right away. It's much less expensive than making a mortar team and MG team and hiking it to the front. The only way I think rifleman are viable is if you spend all that fuel on getting BARs and stuff. Fuel that could better be spent on tanks and halftracks.

Plus, the weapon support teams are very powerful early on.

Ack, sorry for hijacking the thread. Back on topic, go. (Don't we have another topic for strategery in COH?)

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Personally, I would love to play a few missions as the British SAS.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    CoH is awesome, so this is good news.

I think its funny how he said it was the highest ranked strategy game in the last decade, and he was actually selling them short.

Its the highest ranked RTS of all time, according to gamerankings.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

It's expensive but sometimes it's the best idea. If you have a naked VP and it's a critical time, and he needs to cap it, drop the supplies, cap them with airborne, then take the MG, reinforce, take the mortar, reinforce, upgrade the recoilless rifles, and you have a decent defense of that point ready. It's expensive - 750 MP and 125 MU - but it's over a period of time, and still usually faster than building the units and sending them.

Evil Multifarious on