Options

This is Rachel S'Jet. Carrier Kapisi is now online. Let's go find our [Homeworld]

SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaverThat beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in Games and Technology
Gearbox Software - having bought the Homeworld IP from the THQ auction last year - has officially announced Homeworld Remaster, coming....sometime this year. They haven't announced that part yet.

It will apparently be more than just an HD upgrade and will include
updated high-res textures and models, new graphical effects, and support for HD, UHD, and 4K resolutions. Homeworld’s original audio and video artists have also recreated cinematic scenes in beautiful high fidelity.

Homeworld Remastered Collection uses Homeworld and Homeworld 2’s original source audio to create a stunning new mix of effects and music. On top of that, multiplayer for both games has been combined into one centralized mode that will allow you to interact with other players like never before. This collection also includes archival versions of Homeworld Classic and Homeworld 2 Classic, preserving the purest form of the original releases with compatibility for modern operating systems.

They have put up a new website for the game: http://www.homeworldremastered.com/ where you can go vote on what you want the collector's edition to be: a $100 edition that includes a 12" tall Mothership model with working LED lights, or a $75 edition that includes a 6" Mothership model without LEDs. Both editions will come with an artbook, keychain, and codes for something.

Unfortunately they didn't release any pictures, so here are some of the original

Homeworld+2.jpg

Homeworld.jpg

And while we're at it, here have some awesome music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-U3etIpMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juOB-IbCwJc#

LxX6eco.jpg
PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
SyphonBlue on

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    do want.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Why do this and not a proper sequel?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I remember my computer being too crappy for me to be any good at homeworld.

As soon as shit started going down the game would turn into a slideshow.

Really interested in playing a modernized version of the game.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

It's been a looooooooooong time since Homeworld 2, and the game wasn't a huge seller then. They need to get a remaster out in to the public first to re-make the brand awareness as well as the games themselves.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It's been a looooooooooong time since Homeworld 2, and the game wasn't a huge seller then. They need to get a remaster out in to the public first to re-make the brand awareness as well as the games themselves.

This. Homeworld 2 had a mediocre reception from the fanbase I seem to recall. Making a Homeworld 3 or something now would be building on a shaky foundation to say the least. Doing a remaster of the original game is almost certainly easier and cheaper than developing a full sequel, should sell well to fans of the original, and re-establishes the brand.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

This. Homeworld 2 had a mediocre reception from the fanbase I seem to recall. Making a Homeworld 3 or something now would be building on a shaky foundation to say the least. Doing a remaster of the original game is almost certainly easier than cheaper than developing a full sequel, should sell well to fans of the original, and re-establishes the brand.

Aren't they repurposing a game to be a semi-sequel of sorts in the Homeworld world world?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Goddamn does Homeworld 2 (heck, even 1 by virtue of excellent visual aesthetics) still look good.

And they sound just as good.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    Sweet Jesus, but this has the potential to be exciting.
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Goddamn does Homeworld 2 (heck, even 1 by virtue of excellent visual aesthetics) still look good.

And they sound just as good.

I was just thinking the same thing. Given the age of Homeworld, it has no right to hold up as well as it has.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »

This. Homeworld 2 had a mediocre reception from the fanbase I seem to recall. Making a Homeworld 3 or something now would be building on a shaky foundation to say the least. Doing a remaster of the original game is almost certainly easier than cheaper than developing a full sequel, should sell well to fans of the original, and re-establishes the brand.

Aren't they repurposing a game to be a semi-sequel of sorts in the Homeworld world world?

Yeah. There was a game being developed by some ex-Homeworld devs that looked pretty much exactly like Homeworld aesthetically. So Gearbox lent them the Homeworld name and now it's an official Homeworld game.

http://blackbirdinteractive.com/games/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0kqNp1fZ9xQ

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    This is the weirdest Borderlands 3 announcement ever.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I'm SUPER MAD that they aren't bringing out Cataclysm in HD and remastered, it's in some ways the best game of the series :(

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    if this sells well they'll do a sequel, if it doesn't it was a lot cheaper to make

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I'm SUPER MAD that they aren't bringing out Cataclysm in HD and remastered, it's in some ways the best game of the series :(
    Was Cata included in the rights they purchased? I seem to recall a different studio made it.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Was Cata included in the rights they purchased? I seem to recall a different studio made it.
    Ya it was made by Rockstar Vancouver, back when they were called Barking Dog Studios (around the same time they were working on Beta 5 of original Counter-Strike), but I'd assume THQ owned all the rights to it, so I'd hope Gearbox has them now.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Rockstar Vancouver apparently lost the source code to Cataclysm.

So good job, Vancouver! Way to ruin everything!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Rockstar Vancouver apparently lost the source code to Cataclysm.

So good job, Vancouver! Way to ruin everything!
    what the fuck?

link me this business, i must see how they announced this.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Oh I have no idea if that's true or not. I only saw it on some message boards. I just wanted to make fun of Vancouver.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    I will do regrettable unmentionable things for that 12 inch model.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    That bums me out. I bought Cataclysm at Big Lots a few years back when I saw it randomly on the shelf. My computer was way to new to even run the game. I was hoping this HD remaster of the original would include the expansion.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Speaking of, they have a neat article on getting the old sources compiled on more modern systems and toolchains. Worth a read even if don't know the first line of hello world.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So fucking excited for this! The only issue 2 had was the dynamic mission difficulty that was kind of borked. They patched it back in the day and it made the game balance much better.

I remember my main strategy in 1 was salvage corvettes up the wazoo! Ion frigates a couple missions before you could build them? Yes please! Even if you couldn't capture the ship the salvage corvettes would disable it, providing breathing room.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Having never played the originals, (apparently the original games are a nightmare to get working on 64 bit Windows) I'm really excited for a rerelease!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIDnenTKLnU

I want to play THAT, but without all the neckbeard complexity the mod apparently involves. :P

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Aiserou on
  • Options
    No date still :(

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    cannot possibly preorder hard enough. haven't bought a collector's edition since vanilla wow, but Homeworld is special.

though i was hoping for the smaller, pewter mothership in the CE. this one is redic huge.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I don't normally order collector's editions but Homeworld was a pretty defining game for me in my teenage years and is still one of my all time favorite games (yes, even Homeworld 2 which I actually played more of). You can bet your ass I want a Mothership sitting on my desk.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Well slap my ass and call me Sally, how could I have not known about this?! Come to daddy, you flying banana you...

Hopefully they sell enough to want to make Homeworld 3! HW2 failed miserably because of the infinitely scaling AI (no matter how many ships you brought in, the AI always had more) and the rushed pace that prevented people from mining/prepping for the next stage. There are understandable reasons, but both of those decisions took a lot of what Homeworld meant away from the fans.

The music though... the music... so good....

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I approve of this.

It's a good thing that I've avoided getting into X-Wing miniatures, otherwise I'm sure I'd be unable to resist getting the collector's edition.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Akilae wrote: »
    Well slap my ass and call me Sally, how could I have not known about this?! Come to daddy, you flying banana you...

Hopefully they sell enough to want to make Homeworld 3! HW2 failed miserably because of the infinitely scaling AI (no matter how many ships you brought in, the AI always had more) and the rushed pace that prevented people from mining/prepping for the next stage. There are understandable reasons, but both of those decisions took a lot of what Homeworld meant away from the fans.

I always thought the end of match preparing and mining was a lot of dead air. Having to manually mine everything out by hand was just a tedious chore and while I can see an argument for having end of mission force renewal, there's no reason that couldn't be done at the start of the next mission and I never felt rushed in H2 to get my units replenished out of the gate.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Homeworld 1 would be the perfect game if, when the missions were over, there was an autocollect resources button like HW2 had.

I am hoping the remastered version of HW1 has the option of said button.

And now time for the greatest intro movie in video game history:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrW4jkQdmjI

so hype

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The timeline of events in Homeworld always bothered me a bit. Intro video is still kickass though.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    That opening view of the Mothership in the remastered edition is going to be fucking glorious.

EDIT: And while we're posting intros...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itnXy-jKwYY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr2LvY4BKUk

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Ermegerd!

I am so excited for this! I love all the homeworld games to bits, I am pretty sure I have played through even Homeworld 2 at least three times. I... I might actually get the 100$ version.

I wonder what the odds of there being some kind of mod support is. I have always salivated at the idea of somehow playing through the campaign as the Kadeshi. I think there was a mod adding them to multiplayer, but I don't think I ever got even that to work.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ohhhh my goodness, Homeworld! So excited!

I assume there's going to be a cheaper version than the $100 Collectors edition? I mean, it would be weird not to, but I haven't seen anything about it...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Ohhhh my goodness, Homeworld! So excited!

I assume there's going to be a cheaper version than the $100 Collectors edition? I mean, it would be weird not to, but I haven't seen anything about it...

A version without the giant Mothership replica? Most definitely. They're probably just putting this version out now to gauge interest and to drum up some early excitement for the remaster.

And I am SOOOOOOOO tempted to grab this, but really have nowhere on my desk to put it :(

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I collected the original Homeworld stuff years ago. I am kinda meh about this.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Akilae wrote: »

I always thought the end of match preparing and mining was a lot of dead air. Having to manually mine everything out by hand was just a tedious chore and while I can see an argument for having end of mission force renewal, there's no reason that couldn't be done at the start of the next mission and I never felt rushed in H2 to get my units replenished out of the gate.

The mining was always a big problem for HW1 because you'd end up spending a good half of a day going afk as your harvesters would collect every resource on every corner of the map. It was a pain in ass for the most part. I remember Cataclysm had that same system in place, but around the half way point of the game when you got crystal harvesting you had the equivalent of infinite money at that point so afk farming became obsolete after a while.

Homeworld 2 removed that mining aspect for the better, but the prepping was also taken out. The prepping could have stayed, but then every mission would have been incredibly easy. Main reason being that HW2 had scaled difficulty. The enemy would scale in relation to your resource counter and your fleet size. People at first bitched that the game was to hard because they edited their save games to give them billions of RUs, but then were surprised that the enemy had several battleship/dreadnoughts by level 2/3 when you're in the infancy stage of frigates. When people figured that out, they mass retired everything at the end of every mission and would mass produce at the start of every mission because the enemy would have a few squads of fighters/freighters max. Scaled difficulty really messed up HW2 badly.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Honestly the thing I liked most about Homeworld was the mining/prepping

But then I am an RTS heathen who derives pleasure almost solely from building up to the point where I can crush the AI under my comically over-sized boot.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Honestly the thing I liked most about Homeworld was the mining/prepping

But then I am an RTS heathen who derives pleasure almost solely from building up to the point where I can crush the AI under my comically over-sized boot.

I like to turtle until I have an impenetrable fortress, then gather and create a massive largehuge army and annihilate the enemy. It's why I'm so awful playing against other players; because I literally can't force myself to rush the enemy.

JtgVX0H.png