Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Turnabout [Chat]

24567100

Posts

  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    if I got picked to start a thread, which I fortunately haven't

    it'd probably a good idea to do this too

    hmm maybe I should toss something together just in case

    Use my method. Occasionally create threads. Do a effort post OP. Maybe have some effort posts in the thread. Reuse said effort posts as Chat OP. Accept your accolades as a hero.

    create... threads?

    sounds like dark magics

    Speaking of that, I need to sacrifice a goat and do the new instant watch film thread.

    nodnod.gif

    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    Cinders
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

    it is strange to me that all these metaphors are required to illustrate the concept that white guys don't have to deal with a lot of things that non-white non-guys have to deal with.

    people are bad at assessing relative degrees of suffering and privilege

    this is true even if it's something not as complex or sophisticated as racial privileges

    people have difficulty assessing whether they have, say, made a net contribution or net benefit from social insurance

    well sure

    but i mean dressing up the assertion that "you are privileged" into a gaming (or whatever other) sort of metaphor doesn't strengthen the assertion.

    that is, metaphor is generally used to illustrate a difficult concept. i find it hard to believe that the assertion of privilege is being rejected by people because they just don't understand it.

    I got the impression that it was more written for those whom get obsessed with the minutae of the word 'privilege' and want to argue that white men don't have that rather than not understanding.

    I also think it's helpful because there are a lot of people who might be turned off from a discussion by bringing up that word. So talk about the same thing using different language and you might reach more people. Hell, if you only reach one more person, then I think that an internet article is worth it.

    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    @ronya: I am using vaal arc lightning. It arcs 40 times.

    ronyaAresProphet
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

    Out of morbid curiosity, I went to the main page of that website and saw one of it's bigger adverts was letting people know how they could stop "the media from stealing another election"

    oh dear....

    sig.gif
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Most CPAs have masters degrees Atomika. You have to have 150 hours to get your CPA so you might as well get your masters for it.

  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Pony wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    it feels like when i click on some nerdy pop-culture review i'm greeted by narration with a lisp.

    also i seem to meet a lot of nerdy dudes with lisps.

    so what is the deal with nerds and lisps? is it really more common among nerds or is it just that i notice it because it validates my expectations?

    It's both. There's some confirmation bias I'm sure but it's also true that people with speech impediments like lisps, stammers, nasal vocal tones, and conditions that lead to mouth-breathing are more common among nerds and gamers and the like.

    Why?

    Because people with circumstances like that tend to get shit on it for it as kids, especially as adolescents, and as a result will have a tendency to develop anxieties and socially outcast status. This will lead to them developing hobbies, interests, and social circles that are reflective of that. A lot of nerdy hobbies are basically perfect in this regard.

    See also: all other nerd stereotypes.

    yeah this makes sense

    i guess also possibly that people who have accepted social outcast status don't feel as much a compulsion to correct their speech impediments via speech therapy and practice and the like.

    i bumped into a new guy at the dog park a few months ago and introduced myself

    he had an adorable little retriever puppy

    he said

    "and thith ith Gandalf!

    Gandalf! THIT!"

    i felt so bad for him.

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    i haven't followed election stuff at all. have democratic or republican frontrunners emerged yet?

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    it feels like when i click on some nerdy pop-culture review i'm greeted by narration with a lisp.

    also i seem to meet a lot of nerdy dudes with lisps.

    so what is the deal with nerds and lisps? is it really more common among nerds or is it just that i notice it because it validates my expectations?

    It's both. There's some confirmation bias I'm sure but it's also true that people with speech impediments like lisps, stammers, nasal vocal tones, and conditions that lead to mouth-breathing are more common among nerds and gamers and the like.

    Why?

    Because people with circumstances like that tend to get shit on it for it as kids, especially as adolescents, and as a result will have a tendency to develop anxieties and socially outcast status. This will lead to them developing hobbies, interests, and social circles that are reflective of that. A lot of nerdy hobbies are basically perfect in this regard.

    See also: all other nerd stereotypes.

    yeah this makes sense

    i guess also possibly that people who have accepted social outcast status don't feel as much a compulsion to correct their speech impediments via speech therapy and practice and the like.

    i bumped into a new guy at the dog park a few months ago and introduced myself

    he had an adorable little retriever puppy

    he said

    "and thith ith Gandalf!

    Gandalf! THIT!"

    i felt so bad for him.

    thith

    ith

    thparta!

    *kick*

    WashGonmunjakobagger
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Did you take pictures of Gandalf?

  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    a question on Vaal skills: can you use them without souls? Does it just produce the non-vaal version?

    aRkpc.gif
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Cinders wrote: »
    Did you take pictures of Gandalf?

    no but if you GIS "adorable golden retriever puppy" you will get a good idea.

    the guy also made a "gandalf the tan" joke which was also a treat

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    it feels like when i click on some nerdy pop-culture review i'm greeted by narration with a lisp.

    also i seem to meet a lot of nerdy dudes with lisps.

    so what is the deal with nerds and lisps? is it really more common among nerds or is it just that i notice it because it validates my expectations?

    It's both. There's some confirmation bias I'm sure but it's also true that people with speech impediments like lisps, stammers, nasal vocal tones, and conditions that lead to mouth-breathing are more common among nerds and gamers and the like.

    Why?

    Because people with circumstances like that tend to get shit on it for it as kids, especially as adolescents, and as a result will have a tendency to develop anxieties and socially outcast status. This will lead to them developing hobbies, interests, and social circles that are reflective of that. A lot of nerdy hobbies are basically perfect in this regard.

    See also: all other nerd stereotypes.

    yeah this makes sense

    i guess also possibly that people who have accepted social outcast status don't feel as much a compulsion to correct their speech impediments via speech therapy and practice and the like.

    i bumped into a new guy at the dog park a few months ago and introduced myself

    he had an adorable little retriever puppy

    he said

    "and thith ith Gandalf!

    Gandalf! THIT!"

    i felt so bad for him.

    euthanathia

    919UOwT.png
    shryke
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

    it is strange to me that all these metaphors are required to illustrate the concept that white guys don't have to deal with a lot of things that non-white non-guys have to deal with.

    people are bad at assessing relative degrees of suffering and privilege

    this is true even if it's something not as complex or sophisticated as racial privileges

    people have difficulty assessing whether they have, say, made a net contribution or net benefit from social insurance

    well sure

    but i mean dressing up the assertion that "you are privileged" into a gaming (or whatever other) sort of metaphor doesn't strengthen the assertion.

    that is, metaphor is generally used to illustrate a difficult concept. i find it hard to believe that the assertion of privilege is being rejected by people because they just don't understand it.

    I got the impression that it was more written for those whom get obsessed with the minutae of the word 'privilege' and want to argue that white men don't have that rather than not understanding.

    I also think it's helpful because there are a lot of people who might be turned off from a discussion by bringing up that word. So talk about the same thing using different language and you might reach more people. Hell, if you only reach one more person, then I think that an internet article is worth it.

    i think the rationalization of instinct is plentiful, but in this case it's evident that it's the underlying instinctive feeling of having one's desert attacked that is fundamental, since it is far more of a consistent element than the profferred rationalizations themselves

    aRkpc.gif
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck and yet it moves Registered User regular
    I awaken!

    Powerpuppies
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i haven't followed election stuff at all. have democratic or republican frontrunners emerged yet?

    Chris Christie was looking pretty strong there until things exploded.

    Though I do like the occasional thing that I read that he said. I don't agree with his politics, but he at least seems (seemed?) like a person who isn't a frothing idiot.

    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    i grabbed a cheap but well rated meat thermometer. pretty psyched. i'm hoping that making juicy, not-leathery-dry proteins will keep me motivated to cook longer. super-hoping not to revert to slovenly-white-trash ways this time.

    descIrond WillLoserForHireXChanusCindersjakobagger
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh god, the Goldendoodle is wearing a 3 wolves shirt.
    I don't no whether to laugh or cry,

    Bless your heart.
    DemonStacey
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i haven't followed election stuff at all. have democratic or republican frontrunners emerged yet?

    Dems: please please please can we have Elizabeth Warren? No? Are you sure? I mean Hillary is not good at campaigning and is also exceedingly old, but
    *sigh*
    ok

    Pubs: According to recent polling data, Mitt Romney is the Republican frontrunner. You cannot make this shit up.

  • AtomikaAtomika Brought to you by Technicolor™ Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    The South is a giant sentient speech impediment.

    Gulf south? Absolutely.

    Old South? With all the idioms and flowery exaggeration? That's fun.

  • ChanusChanus Ribbit! Registered User regular

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
    Feral
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    i haven't followed election stuff at all. have democratic or republican frontrunners emerged yet?

    not formally but the expectation is hillary on the dem side and god who knows from the republican side.

    rubio sounds like the most realistic imo. for whatever reason various conservative interest groups are really into flogging rand paul and ted cruz. i guess because you're not a true conservative unless you're losing a national election.

    Wqdwp8l.png
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Atomika wrote: »
    CBS is strange to me. But then again, so is Fox and ABC.

    NBC is the only broadcast net I watch with any regularity, yet it's almost always in last place.


    So the problem here is obviously mine.
    NBC has the best shows, Blacklist Grimm, Hannibal. But it also has some really terrible shows.

    CBS makes perfect sense to me. It is a network that caters to 40 year old women, and old white people. That accidentally came out with big bang theory.

    zepherin on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I awaken!

    Lo! What foul beast stirs in the depths of [chat]?

    Skippy awakens

    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    skippydumptruck
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

    it is strange to me that all these metaphors are required to illustrate the concept that white guys don't have to deal with a lot of things that non-white non-guys have to deal with.

    people are bad at assessing relative degrees of suffering and privilege

    this is true even if it's something not as complex or sophisticated as racial privileges

    people have difficulty assessing whether they have, say, made a net contribution or net benefit from social insurance

    well sure

    but i mean dressing up the assertion that "you are privileged" into a gaming (or whatever other) sort of metaphor doesn't strengthen the assertion.

    that is, metaphor is generally used to illustrate a difficult concept. i find it hard to believe that the assertion of privilege is being rejected by people because they just don't understand it.

    I got the impression that it was more written for those whom get obsessed with the minutae of the word 'privilege' and want to argue that white men don't have that rather than not understanding.

    I also think it's helpful because there are a lot of people who might be turned off from a discussion by bringing up that word. So talk about the same thing using different language and you might reach more people. Hell, if you only reach one more person, then I think that an internet article is worth it.

    i think the rationalization of instinct is plentiful, but in this case it's evident that it's the underlying instinctive feeling of having one's desert attacked that is fundamental, since it is far more of a consistent element than the profferred rationalizations themselves

    Well, the first part of my post is literally what the writer himself states as part of his reason for the article.

    I think that it's plausible. I also think that what you say is plausible. Is there some reason that they both can't be right?

    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

    it is strange to me that all these metaphors are required to illustrate the concept that white guys don't have to deal with a lot of things that non-white non-guys have to deal with.

    So playing this game, of "I don't know that I don't know", examples are king so that I at least advance to "I know that I dont know", and the article provides none. Every example I hear outside of this, basically boils down to 'being poor sucks', which this article admits happens no matter what your 'difficulty level' is. It doesn't talk about 'well, systems are in place to make sure you have high risk of being poor if your difficulty is high' which would be closer to what is needed to be said.

    I am not hard lining bootstrap mentality.I, being a little poor but not really at points in my life, understand the issues the poor have trying to move up, and how it's pretty much impossible. However when it comes to 'privilege' in everyday life, I am really not getting it, or hearing it I guess.

    I just get sick of blog posts being blog posts I guess. I am earnestly interested in the topic, but I probably need to stop reading random articles on the internet.

    steam_sig.png
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i grabbed a cheap but well rated meat thermometer. pretty psyched. i'm hoping that making juicy, not-leathery-dry proteins will keep me motivated to cook longer. super-hoping not to revert to slovenly-white-trash ways this time.

    Always remember that when you are cooking to a desired internal temperature, that when you pull your meat out (hehe), it will continue to cook while it rests. Expect about a five degree bump in the temperature, though possibly higher.

    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I have also come to observe that a lot of speech patterns people might see as impediments can sometimes be affectations, either conscious or subconscious. I don't think that lisping and lilting is neurologically linked to being a gay dude, for example, but lots of gay dudes talk that way. It has become the stereotypical "gay voice" and I have known people personally who are homosexual and only speak that way around other queer people and/or in a queer-oriented environment. It's not their "true"voice, because among their friends who know and accept them for who they are, they don't speak with that voice or mannerisms. They only "camp up" a bit around other queer people.

    It's an affectation, because in the queer subculture they want to belong to, it's a norm. And because it's a norm, it becomes an expectation.

    I think you can find people doing this kind of thing with any subculture they want to belong to. They might not even be aware they're doing it.

    CindersWashKana
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    TL DR wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i haven't followed election stuff at all. have democratic or republican frontrunners emerged yet?

    Dems: please please please can we have Elizabeth Warren? No? Are you sure? I mean Hillary is not good at campaigning and is also exceedingly old, but
    *sigh*
    ok

    Pubs: According to recent polling data, Mitt Romney is the Republican frontrunner. You cannot make this shit up.

    i do not know why libs keep flogging elizabeth warren. she doesn't have any particular executive experience and doesn't really seem inclined that way.

    also she is a really bad campaigner. she only barely won massachusetts as a democrat ffs.

    i have met her and played with her dog and she's a super nice lady and she has good opinions on a lot of things and her personality is such that she'll make a great progressive senator

    but she is in no sense presidential material or even presidential candidate material.

    Wqdwp8l.png
    Chanusshryke
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    4zEEW4B.jpg

    ftOqU21.png
    TehSloth
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    only an ivory tower elitist would try and say both sides are right

    check your privilege

  • AtomikaAtomika Brought to you by Technicolor™ Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Most CPAs have masters degrees Atomika. You have to have 150 hours to get your CPA so you might as well get your masters for it.

    Oh I know, I'm just putting that up there against the nerd stereotype of science-y types who are averse to jock stuff.

    My dad's a CPA, too. Or, was, rather. He's a slumlord now.

  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    ascension question:

    this card's effect is kinda confusing to me. My gut instinct is that the "next time" and "this turn" mean that the effect only triggers on the turn you acquire it.

    as that means the effect is ignored for the vast majority of the game, I'm curious if I'm reading it right.

  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    a question on Vaal skills: can you use them without souls? Does it just produce the non-vaal version?

    vaal skills are like regular skill gems, except they require kills to charge up. So, if it says it requires 64 souls, that means you have to kill 64 enemies then you can use it. You cannot use them until they charge up.

    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Me: i had a dream last night that i worked at mcdonalds

    friend: that wasn't a dream that really happened

    me: but again

    friend: again, not a dream, because you worked there twice

    me: STOP IT

    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    ChanusDemonStacey
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Atomika wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    The South is a giant sentient speech impediment.

    Gulf south? Absolutely.

    Old South? With all the idioms and flowery exaggeration? That's fun.

    now see heah, boy

    foghorn leghorn hits those r's mighty softly

    Wqdwp8l.png
    Atomika
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    something makes me a little bit uncomfortable about hillary clinton as a presidential candidate. she seems qualified (though kinda old) but man, she is married to a former president! political families make me really uncomfortable- bush, kennedy, et cetera.

    certainly being born into an intellectual family of means gives you a bit of a head start. so it doesn't surprise me that people from these eminent families (or with links to eminent people) can be impressive people or suitable candidates.

    but there are so many people in this country! even if you throw away all the people who are clearly unqualified or uninterested, there are still tons of engineers and physicians and soldiers and statesmen.

    seeing the same last name makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

    Irond WillRedTidejakobagger
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i haven't followed election stuff at all. have democratic or republican frontrunners emerged yet?

    Dems: please please please can we have Elizabeth Warren? No? Are you sure? I mean Hillary is not good at campaigning and is also exceedingly old, but
    *sigh*
    ok

    Pubs: According to recent polling data, Mitt Romney is the Republican frontrunner. You cannot make this shit up.

    i do not know why libs keep flogging elizabeth warren. she doesn't have any particular executive experience and doesn't really seem inclined that way.

    also she is a really bad campaigner. she only barely won massachusetts as a democrat ffs.

    i have met her and played with her dog and she's a super nice lady and she has good opinions on a lot of things and her personality is such that she'll make a great progressive senator

    but she is in no sense presidential material or even presidential candidate material.

    Because progressives are excited at the prospect of seeing a progressive run for POTUS?

    FeralMsAnthropy
  • AtomikaAtomika Brought to you by Technicolor™ Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    CBS is strange to me. But then again, so is Fox and ABC.

    NBC is the only broadcast net I watch with any regularity, yet it's almost always in last place.


    So the problem here is obviously mine.
    NBC has the best shows, Blacklist Grimm, Hannibal. But it also has some really terrible shows.

    CBS makes perfect sense to me. It is a network that caters to 40 year old women, and old white people. That accidentally came out with big bang theory.

    Yeah. I gots issues with BBT, too.

    Elementary is basically the only thing on CBS that isn't bland or offensive for me.

  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Tamin wrote: »
    ascension question:

    this card's effect is kinda confusing to me. My gut instinct is that the "next time" and "this turn" mean that the effect only triggers on the turn you acquire it.

    as that means the effect is ignored for the vast majority of the game, I'm curious if I'm reading it right.

    I only played Ascension once...

    But yeah, it does look like that to me.

    21stCentury on
This discussion has been closed.