As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Insane in the Ukraine, OR, Not So Chicken Kiev?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Stephen Colbert, duh.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I get the impression that Putin isn't in danger of losing political power regardless of how bad the situation gets, while the EU's leaders will be replaced in elections, if sanctions put too much hardship on the people. If the situation gets bad enough, you might even see the EU slowly fracture over it.

If the situation doesn't change, I suspect Ukraine will be able to buy russian gas and make russian goods, and also still join the EU,

but they'll probably lose a successionist Crimea. Escalation is my main worry.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Putin supposedly threatened to disrupt his oil supply to the rest of Europe if any sanctions are put on Russia. Now I get that the EU doesn't want a gas shortage but wouldn't that just shrink the hell out of Russia's economy? Can that threat really be taken seriously?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It definitely seems like a situation where he would be cutting off his own nose in order to spite his face.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    If a leader believes he is divorced from the consequences, he might do something like that, especially if he thought it would hurt the other parties more.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Everybody loses in the short term with that strategy, but only Russia really loses in the long term.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Putin supposedly threatened to disrupt his oil supply to the rest of Europe if any sanctions are put on Russia. Now I get that the EU doesn't want a gas shortage but would that just shrink the hell out of Russia's economy? Can that threat really be taken seriously?

It would demolish their economy and very possibly his government.

It can be taken a lot less seriously now that Europe has potential alternative long-term suppliers (America), too.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The problem with the European Union is that it has always struggled to find a common response to foreign events. Any such response has to be the result of consultation with twenty-seven members who all have different outlooks and interests in a situation like this (and varying ties to Russia and its economy). So far, the Prime Minister of Poland, Donald Tusk, has been chief advocate of imposing sanctions which could possibly severely damage Russia's economy, but other important leaders like Angela Merkel are against it. The German government's stance is to avoid anything which could further escalate the situation. Some of that concern seems to be based on the fear that we could be drawn into a new Cold War when relationships between Russia and the West deteriorate.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    the EU, UN, and Russia each get 33.3%

democracy

team spirit

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Does he really need to label Kerry, Obama, and Putin?

I wish he'd labeled the bear.

I would like to know who that bear is.

Mishka!

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I think the US and the EU would have all the tools to force Russia to respect Ukraine's territorial integrity. But the question is where we would go from after there.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Also, any replacement of Putin will likely be a carbon copy of his political stances

only without the stigma of being Putin, especially resulting after whatever the hell happens with all of this

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    The US doesn't exactly have the moral high ground in this because they also have a habit of breaking international law.

• Options
    Yeah, America shouldn't take the forefront of that move

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    The moral of the story is don't give up your nukes.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Putin supposedly threatened to disrupt his oil supply to the rest of Europe if any sanctions are put on Russia. Now I get that the EU doesn't want a gas shortage but wouldn't that just shrink the hell out of Russia's economy? Can that threat really be taken seriously?

Well Russia supplies something akin to a third or more of Europe's natural gas and oil and about a quarter of its coal. Most of the old Eastern bloc is 100% dependent on Russia for its energy. Germany gets like 50% of its oil from Russia. Now if Europe hadn't just gone through a rather mild winter this might carry more weight. That being said, I think Russia/Gazprom turned off or slowed down production of gas back in 2006 and 2009 during disputes with Ukraine and it caused a pretty big price spike and shortages in Western Europe. With sanctions being harder to resolve, Europe might start freaking out and with certain nations more dependent on others for energy, tear itself apart. I believe they've got huge shale deposits in Scotland and Poland or somesuch but the European countries seem reticent to turn to fracking to extract the gas there. So until the EU breaks down and starts pumping its own gas, as long as they import so much, Russia has them by the short and friskies no matter how much it might cost Russia long term. Honestly, I think there are levels the Russian gov't is willing to accept if it means getting even a nominal victory over Europe.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The US doesn't exactly have the moral high ground in this because they also have a habit of breaking international law.

not really no, but that doesn't make what Russia is doing right

and to be fair, the US hasn't tried to forcibly annex a country with troops it refused to acknowledge were its own

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular

not really no, but that doesn't make what Russia is doing right

and to be fair, the US hasn't tried to forcibly annex a country with troops it refused to acknowledge were its own

So far we have: a rejected diplomat offering to forgive debts, a blow powder magazine on a warship, firing on ghost ships, and search for nukes where there were none. We're working our way down the list of flimsiest reasons to invade. We'll get there someday.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    We need to protect the ethnic Americans living in Vancouver

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

If you'd said Toronto, we might have been willing to negotiate

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Well Russia supplies something akin to a third or more of Europe's natural gas and oil and about a quarter of its coal. Most of the old Eastern bloc is 100% dependent on Russia for its energy. Germany gets like 50% of its oil from Russia. Now if Europe hadn't just gone through a rather mild winter this might carry more weight. That being said, I think Russia/Gazprom turned off or slowed down production of gas back in 2006 and 2009 during disputes with Ukraine and it caused a pretty big price spike and shortages in Western Europe. With sanctions being harder to resolve, Europe might start freaking out and with certain nations more dependent on others for energy, tear itself apart. I believe they've got huge shale deposits in Scotland and Poland or somesuch but the European countries seem reticent to turn to fracking to extract the gas there. So until the EU breaks down and starts pumping its own gas, as long as they import so much, Russia has them by the short and friskies no matter how much it might cost Russia long term. Honestly, I think there are levels the Russian gov't is willing to accept if it means getting even a nominal victory over Europe.

But that's a two-way street. If Russia cuts off oil supplies they're also, you know, not making money selling oil. The US and Canada can probably ramp up oil exports in the short term to help out and I've read that most of the EU's gas reserves are at close to full capacity. I see no scenario where Russia wins trade war in either the short or long term. Putin is seriously just nuts.

The real reason nobody wants a trade war with Russia is everyone knows Russia would lose and then they become a starving, desperate nuclear power.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Russia is going about this in all the wrong ways. I can't see how they wouldn't have a big fat slice of influence in Ukraine regardless of how the Maidan uprising would have ended. I guess once you get that hand puppet ruler in place nothing else can be as sweet.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how true it is, but I sort of imagine Russia's economy is basically barbarism in bad suits. Weren't Russians actually literally burning their money to keep warm not too long ago?

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

But that's a two-way street. If Russia cuts off oil supplies they're also, you know, not making money selling oil. The US and Canada can probably ramp up oil exports in the short term to help out and I've read that most of the EU's gas reserves are at close to full capacity. I see no scenario where Russia wins trade war in either the short or long term. Putin is seriously just nuts.

The real reason nobody wants a trade war with Russia is everyone knows Russia would lose and then they become a starving, desperate nuclear power.
    The implication is that Putin would be willing to accept completely destroying the Russian economy to "stick it to the West." Whether or not that's actually true is... I mean, Putin would have to be an idiot to do that but he'd also had to have been an idiot to invade Ukraine and and yet ostensibly "not-Russian" soldiers are occupying military bases throughout the peninsula. Also it's best not to underestimate how even the idea of widespread gas shortages could spread damaging ripples throughout Europe's economy. Europe, on the whole, won't risk that if they don't have to. But yes, Russia would suffer most.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Is that in Quebec? Cuz fuck that, keep it.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    as an aside, there are reports that debris of the missing Malaysian plane that went missing a day ago and is suspected to have been the victim of some sort of terrorist attack have been found

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    From what I understand the typical russian citizen had better living conditions and income than ukraine and most former soviets. Then again, Ukraine was basically a mafia run state, from what I've read about the Yanukovych clan's dealing with companies. Basically "Pay us our cut or we will steal control of your business, and give it someone who will."

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    as an aside, there are reports that debris of the missing Malaysian plane that went missing a day ago and is suspected to have been the victim of some sort of terrorist attack have been found

It was more likely catastrophic structural integrity failure

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I love that the day Putin announced these were not Russian solders, the BBC interviewed one who said "Yes, I'm a Russian solider, my name is "name" and yes this isn't a great thing we're doing but we're just following orders"

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    You know who else was just following orders

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular

Nah, we totally have the high ground on this

Putin's a shit

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    You know who else was just following orders

Jesus

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I was just following hors d'oeuvres

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

No, it's the capital city of Ontario.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

After all these years, I still don't know how to pronounce that.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

That's a suburb of Chicago, right?

• Options
    To me the issue is going to come down to whether or not Europe is willing to swallow the dick of fracking at home and nuclear power. They likely wont.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Ore-like a boat paddle and dervs - like in dervish

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIyhCH2ZBqo

This is the only video on Youtube which seems to have the correct French pronunciation.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

That's a suburb of Chicago, right?

now you aren't even trying.

This discussion has been closed.