As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who is the Winter Soldier? (And other [Superhero Movies])

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Actually I think that as the holocaust becomes more and more a distant memory until it is lost from living history

Magneto's resonance and character as a holocaust survivor will grow

Because as the holocaust becomes more distant it becomes somehow more swathed in this mythic feel of the ultimate horror, a time from the past that nobody remembers but everybody knows.

And I think that, whatever my opinions on that as a historian, it will it in with the pseudo-realistic, semi-legendary nature of the superhero comic, the ultimate victim figure of the ultimate persecution, a link to the real world that is in itself larger than life. Magneto will become stronger for it, I think. Nobody remembers Homer's Greece but the Iliad is no less a potent work for it, in fact it is even more so. The anachronisms and inaccuracies fade in comparison to the legendary historical weight of it all.

Much as I love comics, I kinda doubt Magneto is going to have that kind of staying power.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Eh, it's not really an issue yet.

Magneto's stuff would have happened in 1944 or 1945. If he was like eight years old then, then today he'd be like 78 or 79 years old, which is a reasonable age, in and of itself, to still be alive.

All you need to do right now is have when he got de-aged changed. Eventually you'll get back to silly points, but right now you can say he got deaged like, ten years ago, when he was 68, to effectively 30, and is now effectively 40

Though I must say, even though it's bullshit snakeoil of the highest level, I liked the idea that Magneto's natural magnetic field helps age him a bit slower than the average person.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    several centuries from now magneto will simultaneously be a survivor of at least a dozen different genocides

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I just read Sex Criminals! That was super heartwarming and funny and I need to read more of it!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How did he get de-aged anyway

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    oh my god ghost you can't just ask how someone got de-aged

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    How did he get de-aged anyway
    I think he got brain swapped into a clone?

And more recently when the High Evolutionary restored his powers he gave him some youth

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I think the High Evolutionary did it?

edit: And also by a Shi'ar, apparently
    An early foe of Cyclops' second team of X-Men, Erik the Red used his superior Shi'ar technology to restore adulthood to Magneto, who had been de-aged to infancy by Alpha the Ultimate Mutant and mentally dominate reserve X-Men Havok and Polaris.

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/3/10/22112/join_chris_yost_craig_kyle_colossus_on_amazing_x-men

Wait...Jason Aaron is done with Amazing X-Men after this Nightcrawler arc?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    De-aging's kinda like the the vampire cure in the Blade movies.

Kinda a big deal at first, then just gets thrown around nonchalantly.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Eh, it's not really an issue yet.

Magneto's stuff would have happened in 1944 or 1945. If he was like eight years old then, then today he'd be like 78 or 79 years old, which is a reasonable age, in and of itself, to still be alive.

All you need to do right now is have when he got de-aged changed. Eventually you'll get back to silly points, but right now you can say he got deaged like, ten years ago, when he was 68, to effectively 30, and is now effectively 40

Though I must say, even though it's bullshit snakeoil of the highest level, I liked the idea that Magneto's natural magnetic field helps age him a bit slower than the average person.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but comics Magneto was born in the 20s and was already in his late teens/early 20s by the time 1945 rolled around. Which would push him to his mid to high 80s right now, deaging stuff not withstanding.

• Options
    Apparently!

Huh.

But Yost and Kyle are damn good successors and fuck yeah Colossus

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Magneto got de-aged because while traveling back to the surface of the Earth after the Avengers trapped him in Earth's core, he found super-advanced ancient technology that he used to create a creature he called Alpha the Ultimate Mutant, who rebelled against Magneto and used its vast powers to regress Magneto to infancy.

Years later, the Shi'Ar agent Erik the Red restored Magneto to the prime of his life in order to get his help to destroy the X-Men.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Apparently!

Huh.

But Yost and Kyle are damn good successors and fuck yeah Colossus

I wonder if it's because of Original Sin? It's really weird that he would just leave after so few issues. I honestly expected McGuinness to leave before Aaron did.

• Options
    I'm gonna guess he got a new ongoing that spins out of Original Sin and with his Image work he can only manage 2 ongoings at a time.

Dr. Strange or Black Panther seem likely since they're big parts of the event.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    so fucking unfair

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Also that means the line-up of Amazing is:
    Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Iceman, Beast, Storm, Firestar and Northstar

And that is a damn fine X-Men team

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Man, reading some old ROM comics, I'm bummed out that he's stuck in legal limbo. The concept is really good.

Alien Soldier sacrifices his humanity to permanently become a cybernetic supersoldier and hunt down the Dire Wraiths that viciously invaded his people; shows up on Earth to find Wraiths have taken human form, and starts killing any he finds (which his cybernetic gear can detect).

Meanwhile, from the humans point of view, this space robot has just shown up and started killing random people. And ROM can't just go "No wait, they're aliens" because no one else has the tech to perceive them as aliens, and the aliens themselves have infiltrated human government enough to squelch ROM's attempts and getting people to notice.

So he's basically a hero most everyone thinks is the Space Terminator, come to kill everyone.

That's a pretty great concept IMO.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Is the OP correct?

Batman/Superman and an unannounced MCU movie are opening on the same day?

That will be...fun to watch

• Options
    Is the OP correct?

As of right now, yes. WB moved Batman/Superman to that date after delaying it from July 17th, 2015.

We'll see if Marvel or WB blinks.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    If The Avengers 2 does really well, I'm betting it's WB

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Is the OP correct?

One of them will be.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So how much long term damage do you think it would cause if right after I see Winter Soldier, I put myself into a coma until Guardians of the Galaxy is out, because I seriously can't take the waiting any more!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Wasn't Dipstick Roscoe P. Coltrane's sidekick?

• Options
    So how much long term damage do you think it would cause if right after I see Winter Soldier, I put myself into a coma until Guardians of the Galaxy is out, because I seriously can't take the waiting any more!

I was going to say you'd be missing out on a lot of movies, but I looked at a release calendar and it turns out there's only 2 movies in there I'm genuinely excited for (Godzilla/22 Jump Street).

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

I was going to say you'd be missing out on a lot of movies, but I looked at a release calendar and it turns out there's only 2 movies in there I'm genuinely excited for (Godzilla/22 Jump Street).

And by the time I wake up for Guardians, they'll be on Blu ray!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SILVSURF2014002-Allred-Cov-f53ef.jpg

• Options
    Spaaaaaaaaaace booooooooooooob

• Options
    http://benito-cereno.tumblr.com/post/78884288886/to-get-back-to-transformers-latin-a-minute-there-is-a
    Rodimus does actually mean something, but only by sheer coincidence. They obviously just did a half-assed portmanteau of Rod and Optimus to make the name, regardless of whatever it might mean (“Optimus” as I believe we discussed before, means “best”).

Rodimus is actually a form of the verb rodere, which is the source of the English word rodent. It means “to gnaw.” Specifically, the form “rodimus” means “we are gnawing.” Maybe not the best name for a cool robot car.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Anti

Anti

You were just complaining about people going out of there way to shit on things you like

Come on

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah but Millar wrote all of the big Magneto stories except for the one BKV did but even there he was a psycho who beat a teenager girl close to death with a chair.

Ultimate Magneto was an unrepentant asshole madman and his lack of a sympathetic origin definitely contributedto that.

Again, I'm pretty sure they mentioned his survived a genocide. They just didn't go in-depth into his origin.

Besides, it's a valid take on Magneto, even if Millar was awful at it. Mind you, I don't think it's a better take on Magneto. Even someone as talented as Morrison couldn't quite make it work. Magneto's simply more interesting when he's a man of moral contradictions.

In fact they go deep into Ultimate Magneto's origin in the mini Ultimate Origins.

Its been awhile so I may have some of the details wrong but there was no genocide and he kills his parents for being Human.

Milllar made it a thing that Magneto would lie about his past and he told at least two contradictory stories about his family. One did involve being the survivor of genocide.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Anti

Anti

You were just complaining about people going out of there way to shit on things you like

Come on

http://i.imgur.com/JKsko.gif

• Options
    Why do I even bother

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    to be a self righteous silly goose, usually

• Options
    Not really

Just trying to help you realize that this might be the reason that people react negatively of you on occasion

But whatever, it only matters when things you like get shit on

I'm done tryin to help

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    oh my god, your magnanimous tone

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Anti

You're being a goose

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
This discussion has been closed.