As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who is the Winter Soldier? (And other [Superhero Movies])

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Anti

You're being a goose
    Don't bother man

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Anyways, went and read Sex Criminals today

Considering how much I usually hate *any* sex in media that was pretty fun

Might actually pick it up!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    The world don't dance to the beat of just one drum

what might be cool for you, isn't cool for some

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Attack on Titan is awful though

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Haha! Yes! Got Sier hooked on She Hulk, Ms. Marvel and MTMtE and RID.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Agree after episode 5

After that it becomes amazing in how stupid it gets

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Christ yes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    The world don't dance to the beat of just one drum

what might be cool for you, isn't cool for some

We can dance if we want to
    We can leave your friends behind
    'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
    Well, they're no friends of mine

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Quicksilver is hench because he works out

You've never seen him work out

but he does

he did it just now

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The only character in comics i can think of straight off the top of my head i don't want looking any kind of buff is Spider-man

The slimmer and weirdly ganglier he is while still being terrifyingly strong, the better. I'm sure there are other schools of thought on that, but i loooooove it when they make him as spidery as possible.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I imagine most superheroes would be pretty cut/fit.

Their jobs are pretty physically-demanding.

They also want to be in great shape to perform those jobs.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tom Brevoort on diversity:
    There's always room for more; there's always room for further diversity. Whether it's more Latino characters, or more Black characters, or more LGBT characters -- you pretty much can pick any group of people, and as long as you're not talking about middle-aged white men like myself, they're probably underrepresented in the world of superhero comics. It's tough from a sales perspective, because all of the characters that are still the bedrock, firmament characters tend to be guys that were created in the 1960s if not earlier, at a time when comic books were predominantly, if not exclusively, white. While it's nice that we've made some steps -- we have more female-led books than ever before -- that doesn't mean we should stop coming up with them. Just because we have a few books that have Hispanic characters, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't look for more opportunities to do more there. The same thing is true with every demographic that you can speak to. No matter where you happen to sit within the cultural zeitgeist, it's never mission accomplished. It's always, "What's next?" There's always going to be somebody who is underrepresented, or that you could represent more truthfully or more affectingly.

Brevoort said he is happy with Marvel's diversity in light of some All-New Marvel NOW! additions like "Ms. Marvel," but added that there is always room for more

I would be a terrible editor for "Ms. Marvel" because that is not a culture I understand anything about. I just don't have the background in it -- I'd have to research it. I could do that, but it would be clinical research. It's not genuine. It’s not my experiences. But the folks working on that title have that experience, and bring it to the project. On the one hand, I read it and I go, "This is great, it's like reading something like 'Ultimate Spider-Man' -- a new, young character's heroic journey on a level that I can relate to and understand." On the second level, it's almost like a civics lesson. I feel like I'm learning about a culture and a set of experiences that I just haven't had. And I think that's cool.

I feel like we could use more books like "Ms. Marvel." We're capable of being more sophisticated in our storytelling these days than people were able to in years gone bye. The audience is older, the audience is more accepting and more sophisticated in terms of what they want in terms of characterization and emotional depth and emotional maturity. It really gives us the opening to explore any of these situations that human beings happen to exist in across the world. Hopefully, we'll be able to continue to do that to a degree of infinite diversity.

In the same interview he says that Uncanny Avengers 23 will sync back up with the rest of the Marvel Universe in a surprising way

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm gonna guess he got a new ongoing that spins out of Original Sin and with his Image work he can only manage 2 ongoings at a time.

Dr. Strange or Black Panther seem likely since they're big parts of the event.

Let the speculation begin!

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Zonugal wrote: »

I guess you could get away with it if you had, like, telekinetic powers or something.
    But you just know some chumps gonna come along with an anti-telekine-o-ray or whatever so it's probably a good back-up plan to also take up boxing or something.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    I'm putting my money on Dr. Strange. Stephen's due for a solo book and Aaron would go nuts on it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WTanIoB.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Solar wrote: »

but he does

he did it just now

Contrary to the received wisdom of comic book threads, sprinters are invariably built like the proverbial brick shithouses. Usain Bolt looks like he could tear the head off a pig, and I'm guessing he has a pretty rocking six pack. I'm all for different character designs, but "hey the guy who runs really fast is also really lean and muscular" is not the best place to find flaws in verisimilitude.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

I guess you could get away with it if you had, like, telekinetic powers or something.
    But you just know some chumps gonna come along with an anti-telekine-o-ray or whatever so it's probably a good back-up plan to also take up boxing or something.

Well I mean even beyond just combat, superheroics has a lot of running, lifting, jumping, ect...

You probably want to be physically fit for a physically demanding job.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

but he does

he did it just now

Contrary to the received wisdom of comic book threads, sprinters are invariably built like the proverbial brick shithouses. Usain Bolt looks like he could tear the head off a pig, and I'm guessing he has a pretty rocking six pack. I'm all for different character designs, but "hey the guy who runs really fast is also really lean and muscular" is not the best place to find flaws in verisimilitude.

Fair enough, I was comparing it to people I know in Cross Country but I guess sprinting is a better comparison

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I was surprised in Morrison's X Men that there's a panel where Emma Frost admits to having extensive cosmetic surgery. I thought it was just accepted that women in comic books looked like that.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm putting my money on Dr. Strange. Stephen's due for a solo book and Aaron would go nuts on it.

On the other hand, Black Panther's also past due for a new book, and he's been getting hyped in New Avengers for a while now.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Emma's always been exception to that stuff, I know it's also been implied by some writers that she uses her telepathy to manipulate how people see her as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    In reality, Emma Frost is just a telepathic corgi.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    (so far) Emma Frost is a really fun character to read. Sure, that costume is ridiculous, but it's the only example I can think of where the sexy femme fatale character is genuinely the most interesting character in the room. My main reason for reading it is "what shit is Emma Frost going to pull next". Her pursuit of Cyclops seems less like she's desperate for his manly love than she thinks stealing him away would be worth a giggle.

• Options

On the other hand, Black Panther's also past due for a new book, and he's been getting hyped in New Avengers for a while now.
    I think New Avengers already sort of a Black Panther book. Like he is the central character. The other Illuminati members are definitely important, and Strange has his own big subplot brewing, but when it wasn't cutting away to alternate Earths T'Challa was the main guy.

Not that I wouldn't be perfectly happy with a Aaron Black Panther book either.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    (so far) Emma Frost is a really fun character to read. Sure, that costume is ridiculous, but it's the only example I can think of where the sexy femme fatale character is genuinely the most interesting character in the room. My main reason for reading it is "what shit is Emma Frost going to pull next". Her pursuit of Cyclops seems less like she's desperate for his manly love than she thinks stealing him away would be worth a giggle.

I don't like Emma but yeah she's one of the few characters who earns the femme fatale thing

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I like Aaron a lot, but I'm not sure he'd be the right fit for a Dr. Strange comic.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I know the comics/movies synergy concept isn't a popular one around here, but I'd wager we'd see a Dr. Strange ongoing before Black Panther, if only because it seems like we'll see a Dr. Strange movie before a Black Panther movie.

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    I like Aaron a lot, but I'm not sure he'd be the right fit for a Dr. Strange comic.
    The dude handles weird cosmic shit and grandoise action on an epic scale really well

Plus he has already proven he can write the supernatural very well in Ghost Rider

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Her evolution over the last decade or so has been really interesting. Follow up Morrison's X-Men with Whedon's Astonishing, he does some great work with her.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The dude handles weird cosmic shit and grandoise action on an epic scale really well

Plus he has already proven he can write the supernatural very well in Ghost Rider

And while I love those things about him, he generally inclines towards a more comedic/outrageous bent they I'm just not sure works with Dr. Strange. He's kind of an eternal straight man. If it got announced that Aaron was on the title I'd certainly be curious to see what he came up with, but I'd also be deeply skeptical.

Fakefaux on
  • Options

And while I love those things about him, he generally inclines towards a more comedic/outrageous bent they I'm just not sure works with Dr. Strange. He's kind of an eternal straight man. If it got announced that Aaron was on the title I'd certainly be curious to see what he came up with, but I'd also be deeply skeptical.
    You need to read Scalped and The Other Side. Aaron can be dead serious at the drop of a hat.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i want the mcu dr. strange to be a cross between spider-man fever and the oath

• Options
    Heck, read Aaron's Ghost Rider to see how he handles supernatural stuff.

• Options
    And yeah, The Oath has quite a few comedic moments in it and it is basically the best Dr. Strange story

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Heck, read Aaron's Ghost Rider to see how he handles supernatural stuff.

I have read his Ghost Rider run. I'm not skeptical of his supernatural chops, just his tone.
    And yeah, The Oath has quite a few comedic moments in it and it is basically the best Dr. Strange story

The Oath's humor is rather deadpan, as Strange's humor tends to be. And while it's a cool book, I wouldn't call it the best Strange story by a country mile. The Shuma-Gorath Saga and the Montesi Formula are way better.

• Options
    TDNFzb0.jpg

• Options
    Tom Brevoort on diversity:
    There's always room for more; there's always room for further diversity. Whether it's more Latino characters, or more Black characters, or more LGBT characters -- you pretty much can pick any group of people, and as long as you're not talking about middle-aged white men like myself, they're probably underrepresented in the world of superhero comics. It's tough from a sales perspective, because all of the characters that are still the bedrock, firmament characters tend to be guys that were created in the 1960s if not earlier, at a time when comic books were predominantly, if not exclusively, white. While it's nice that we've made some steps -- we have more female-led books than ever before -- that doesn't mean we should stop coming up with them. Just because we have a few books that have Hispanic characters, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't look for more opportunities to do more there. The same thing is true with every demographic that you can speak to. No matter where you happen to sit within the cultural zeitgeist, it's never mission accomplished. It's always, "What's next?" There's always going to be somebody who is underrepresented, or that you could represent more truthfully or more affectingly.

Brevoort said he is happy with Marvel's diversity in light of some All-New Marvel NOW! additions like "Ms. Marvel," but added that there is always room for more

I would be a terrible editor for "Ms. Marvel" because that is not a culture I understand anything about. I just don't have the background in it -- I'd have to research it. I could do that, but it would be clinical research. It's not genuine. It’s not my experiences. But the folks working on that title have that experience, and bring it to the project. On the one hand, I read it and I go, "This is great, it's like reading something like 'Ultimate Spider-Man' -- a new, young character's heroic journey on a level that I can relate to and understand." On the second level, it's almost like a civics lesson. I feel like I'm learning about a culture and a set of experiences that I just haven't had. And I think that's cool.

I feel like we could use more books like "Ms. Marvel." We're capable of being more sophisticated in our storytelling these days than people were able to in years gone bye. The audience is older, the audience is more accepting and more sophisticated in terms of what they want in terms of characterization and emotional depth and emotional maturity. It really gives us the opening to explore any of these situations that human beings happen to exist in across the world. Hopefully, we'll be able to continue to do that to a degree of infinite diversity.

In the same interview he says that Uncanny Avengers 23 will sync back up with the rest of the Marvel Universe in a surprising way

See, DC

This is how you do public relations

• Options

but he does

he did it just now

Sprinters are always ripped and long distance runners tend to be lean, as far as I remember from my school PE days

Quicksilver can run for ages and really fast too

I think it's fair to say he is going to be buff

This discussion has been closed.