As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[mini-Phalla]Magicka: Gizzy and Mafia Victory

1234568»

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Vlad is a character in Magicka.
    He's a vampire

He actually assured me that he totally was not a vampire.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Sorry for dragging the last day out - I had to make ZH kill himself. Thanks ZH for being my human shield as I carefully kept myself positioned so that you were between me and other people the last few days :p

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the mechanics, MrT! Sorry I wasn't super active. My weird posting wasn't super easy on a phone, so it had to be done when I was near a computer, which is not super often. Really that's my own fault.

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    This game really had a lot going on. Lots of cool spells. I think maybe some of the village should have had more knowledge of portions of the spell book, I dunno.

Steam
    Did anyone make a death beam, or a double-wide beam?

I wanted to so bad - but I was convinced Buddha needed to die day 2 (thinking there would be a lot more deaths and less days)

No.

The village basically went full shield mode with a couple people trying for water splashing followed up by lightning beams.

All the best stuff happened with mafia mishaps. My favorite day was ZH running over the mine he and premium created.

Shielding and Life were super strong. I think only two people died by straight damage, and that was because of the teslas?

Steam
    You guys ALMOST made a death beam, but Mikey stepped in front of the cold beam.

But even had it succeeded it would have missed because Assuran moved from where he was standing.

vertroue died to damage. Gizzy's arcane beam followed by one from Auralynx.

Bedlam died to the teslas. Langly was the other person over there but he died by the vote.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    @MrTLicious

First off, thanks for running the game.

I have opinions, but I would like some clarification first:
    How many players were eliminated by other players’ spells?
    How many of those people were eliminated by villagers?
    How many times did the rules for spell interactions (ie, Beam v. Beam) come into play?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    1. 2 (see above)
    2. 1 1/2 (vertroue died by Gizzy and Auralynx)
    3. Beam v Beam never happened. Beam did a couple times hit either a self cast or nova but basically with everyone shielding there were very few spells that had the opportunity to interact.

I think it would have been cool if the mafia had to target a location, rather than a player for its kill. Like, pick K4, the player in that square will die at the end of the round. Then we would have to try and find out stuff from the village if we wanted to target a particular player.

Steam
    ZH was on the brink of death from walking into his own fire mine. I was soaked a couple of days bc it didn't occur to me that I could self-cast (derp derp). I almost killed myself by having orders in to shoot lightning while soaked - but changed to arcane and shot mega.

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Megafrost wrote: »
    I was initially thinking Invictus, Gizzy and Kristmas Kthulhu were likely village, but I can't discount the possibility that Buddha was thrown under the Magic School Bus by his comrades, so right now I'm only really feeling confident about Invictus' innocence.

Holy shit, I knew I was right to doubt Gizzy. But also on the proboard:
    premium wrote:
    Megafrosts post is goddamn hilarious given what I named these boards

That IS hilarious.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The reason I ask is because I got the feeling that – much like Gandalf’s X-COM game a while back – this game was actively hurt by the Phalla format. There’s a strong disincentive for villagers to fire randomly, so people typically play it safe and as a result all the cool spells you created and interactions you designed for end up never happening.

I spent the first two days running in circles and firing randomly just for shits and giggles, but when it became clear that I wasn’t going to accomplish anything I decided to just bunker down and wait it out. Of course, I then got mafia’d. Speaking for myself, I wasn’t especially active because it was clear that the best thing I could do for the village was to be as defensive as possible, which in a 'normal' game is fine, but becomes boring when the game is loaded with attack powers.

I think there are some really strong design elements here but I’m not convinced that they are well served as part of a Phalla. It would be interesting to see this run as a Magical Rumble with no votes or mafia.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    If I had been village I would have grabbed someone and said let's pretend to be masons and experiment with beams.

jdarksun wrote: »
    @MrTLicious @Gizzy Why'd I die?

I felt the need to kill anyone who A-tracks things / pays attention B-talked to me

You were A. Invictus was A and B

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Ah well.

I put a bunch of work into a CK2-based phalla, so all for the best I guess.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I really need to start trusting myself more. And doing more softnetworking. Thanks for the game, Mr!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    It was pretty obvious that ZH was mafia from day 3's narration and his actions on day 3 and day 2.
    But I was dead.

discrider on
    Yeah that was a bad vote on Vertroue that day. Hilariously I fussed at Mikey in PM for basically ZH's actions.

In the end I was so angry at myself for killing everyone who does vote analysis bc people were getting suspicious of me when really both premium and ZH looked terrible. But it worked out - huge relief at voting out Trv

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Why relief killing me?

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Why relief killing me?

Rather than her, I imagine.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    Yep rather than me getting voted out - which I was pretty sure was going to happen (until Mikey voted TRV)

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Yeah that was a bad vote on Vertroue that day. Hilariously I fussed at Mikey in PM for basically ZH's actions.

Actually that was exactly what convinced me you were mafia. I should have voted for you but I didn't think I would get any traction on that. I went with the other person I thought would be but had a better chance to get the village to go along. Shoulda went with the vote for you. Ah well.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    If I had been village I would have grabbed someone and said let's pretend to be masons and experiment with beams.

As I'm sure premium mentioned, I tried!

Also, Vertroue's inactivity in X-Com and this one has now been adequately been revenged. I agree with Iron Weasel that if you let the majority of the village play defense, they will.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Ah that was me hint hinting ZH hoping you'd connect the dots.
    Then I flat out told you premium was mafia :p

So yeah, I definitely did not clue the village enough that combining spells was a really good idea for them. In retrospect, I should have had some masters that knew a couple spells (better ones, but not the seers, etc.)

The base elements definitely made shield look really great. But ultimately the wait and see tactic was doomed from the start because there were no seers (except via spell combinations).

Spell list is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DsO5EObBN9ODI5SWdFOXR0TlE/edit?usp=sharing

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    So, Gizzy killed me?

Any reason why?

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    So, Gizzy killed me?

Any reason why?

Her wincon?

And yeah, MrT, combos looked neat but turtling has a certain visceral appeal when you start the game with no idea who to trust.

In retrospect - and I can't believe I'm saying this - I should've tried harder to team up with Bedlam.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Wow, that spell list is amazing, MrT. I absolutely would have loved experimenting with spells if I'd had any idea the results could be so awesome. Without knowing that spell combinations had so many varied effects, I assumed most of them would just blow up in our faces and kill us. And without any sort of direction, I was just milling about and casting shield, which was kind of boring, and I'm suspecting had a lot to do with inactivity.

Looking back, it really ought to have been fun and chaotic, with tons of soft networking going on; the problem was the village just didn't know the potential of the mechanics at play.

Imagine this game as a main the potential for crazy

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    So yeah, I definitely did not clue the village enough that combining spells was a really good idea for them. In retrospect, I should have had some masters that knew a couple spells (better ones, but not the seers, etc.)

The base elements definitely made shield look really great. But ultimately the wait and see tactic was doomed from the start because there were no seers (except via spell combinations).

Spell list is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DsO5EObBN9ODI5SWdFOXR0TlE/edit?usp=sharing

I was not playing defensively anticipating a seer network, I was playing defensively to get more information to do analysis. I think I just didn't have enough time and I think had too good of a vote record after Buddha died.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    Assuran wrote: »
    So, Gizzy killed me?

Any reason why?

Well my wincon was to kill errbody
    But why you on that particular day? You advertised turtling - I thought you sounded super village and would prob start your own network. Also you saw through me in the previous game, was afraid it would happen again.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Ah, well you guys played well.

MrT, thanks for running.