As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2014 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Can I get any info on how registration for BYOC will be done this year?
    Will it be done during normal registration for PAX or separately?

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    I would guess that it will be the PAX East model, but I don't know for sure. PAX East did it through showclix, but it was via a separate link that was posted here on the forums as opposed to being with regular registration. Your best source of info though would be to tweet the question at the official pax twitter.

• Options
    FigitzFigitz Registered User new member
    edited April 2014
    So is the registration limit the same as last year? (4 sets per order) because i emailed the pax questions email and they said the limit is 4 badges. i want to be able to order for my group totaling 4 people for all 4 days.

Figitz on
  • Options
    It should be the same. 4 4-days or 4 sets of 1-days.

• Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    No, last year was not an anomaly.
    Ticket scalping is actually a small issue. The amount of tickets put up for sale on the secondary market compared to the amount sold is a very small percentage. It is just that scalping is such an easy target for people to blame.
    Badges sell out fast because this event is crazy popular and there is no more room to expand. Remember, you are not stuck in traffic, you are traffic.

I think the limiting factor in just how fast badges sell out this year is going to be the Queue system, but don't expect to get a shot at a 4-day unless you are in the queue line instantly.

Last year I was in the "virtual queue" withing 5 minutes of the tweet going out that reg was open and I still wasnt able to get a 4 day pass.

On another note,
    Any word on pricing this year? I noticed that 4 day passes cost $10 more on the PAX DEV page. I assume the same will be true when normal registration opens. What about single day passes? $5 increase? $10 increase?

Random note,
    Nice new avatar Zerzhul

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    We won't know till it goes live, unless the official pax page tells us :) I agree that the 4-day price increase by $10 will stick.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

They are doing BYOC through showclix for PAX AUS as well, and it's just a ticket add-on. A BYOC pass can be attached the a three day, so I'd expect it to be the same.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BanthaBantha Registered User regular
    Last year I was in the "virtual queue" withing 5 minutes of the tweet going out that reg was open and I still wasnt able to get a 4 day pass.

I was in that same boat. You definitely need to be ready to go the moment it happens.

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    Bantha wrote: »

I was in that same boat. You definitely need to be ready to go the moment it happens.

Or you could camp on the paxsite itself, watching for the site to update, because it takes a couple minutes for the tweet to go out.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    I would HIGHLY recommend this for Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/notifier-for-twitter/ikknnkomiokeodcdkknnhgjmncfiefmn

I would say it greatly helped me get a 3 Day for PAX East.

• Options
    NymphodorahNymphodorah SeattleRegistered User regular
    I would HIGHLY recommend this for Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/notifier-for-twitter/ikknnkomiokeodcdkknnhgjmncfiefmn

I would say it greatly helped me get a 3 Day for PAX East.

Just got this yesterday and it's pretty cool, especially if you have a desk job and don't want to spend all day refreshing the pax website. I will warn, however, that if you follow a lot of people the notifications can get annoying. An idea would be to create an account where all you follow is PAX so you'd only get a notification for that.

It’s a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to.
    Twitter: ACatlett206
    Battletag: Tonks#1448
    Steam/Xbox: Nymphodorah
    Tumblr: thenerdy-narwhal
  • Options
    Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    So... Has the problems with the que refresh been fixed?? I remember last year people who finished buying tickets could F5 and get back in the front of the line... Im sure it was one of the reasons the tickets sold out in <1h. Also is it better to camp out the main paxsite page or the paxsite/registration page??

• Options
    Bob20021Bob20021 Registered User regular
    I've got a question too. What is the difference between just clicking the Badge Availability on the front page or actually registering?

• Options
    When you actually register, you'll be taken to a page on showclix.com where you will pay for badges. Right now the PAX Prime website isn't even updated for this year.

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    So... Has the problems with the que refresh been fixed?? I remember last year people who finished buying tickets could F5 and get back in the front of the line... Im sure it was one of the reasons the tickets sold out in <1h. Also is it better to camp out the main paxsite page or the paxsite/registration page??
    That bug was hardly abused. It was the massive demand that caused 4-days to sell out so fast.
    Bob20021 wrote: »
    I've got a question too. What is the difference between just clicking the Badge Availability on the front page or actually registering?

There is a page on Showclix that Paxsite will link to, that you will register on.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    That queue issue was actually fixed at the tail end of Prime registration. I didn't hear much about it happening for East reg, but I could just be forgetting. I know that was at the top of the list of things they wanted to be fixed.

If you're going to camp out, camp out the paxsite/registration page, the official_pax twitter, robert's twitter (rkhoo) and these forums.

• Options
    So on the registration page what will be the go sign? Will i click the Badge Availability on what day i want or do i click on the register online button?

• Options
    No, you click the register online button. It will be painfully obvious once it's ready to go. You can look at the registration for pax Australia which is not sold out to get an idea of how it works.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    You can look at the registration for pax Australia which is not sold out to get an idea of how it works.

Everyone who is not familiar with the registration procedure (myself included) should be doing this if they are worried. Just make your way through the prompts, it's not a difficult system.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers College Student and Code Monkey Orlando FloridaRegistered User regular
    hi, i got a pax Dex badge and purchased a prime badge with it. i am wondering, in the hotel section you mentioned the hotel deals are only valid with a thursday check-in. so what should i do for accommodations during the developer conference?

• Options
    Quackers wrote: »
    hi, i got a pax Dex badge and purchased a prime badge with it. i am wondering, in the hotel section you mentioned the hotel deals are only valid with a thursday check-in. so what should i do for accommodations during the developer conference?
    It looks like that section of the FAQ needs an update! I've seen the pax discount go out as far as tuesday through the following wednesday at some hotels, to accommodate pax dev.

• Options
    QuackersQuackers College Student and Code Monkey Orlando FloridaRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Quackers wrote: »
    It looks like that section of the FAQ needs an update! I've seen the pax discount go out as far as tuesday through the following wednesday at some hotels, to accommodate pax dev.

Thank you, i was a bit worried about that. then again i am a bit worried about everything. going to my first pax, so freaking exciting. anyways thank you for the prompt reply.

• Options
    larry365larry365 Registered User regular
    Been camping out at the sites for 3 days now. PAX + Bumbershoot has been a family tradition for years now. Thanks for all the good times.

• Options
    Miner987Miner987 Registered User regular
    Hello I am new this will be my first year going to pax and i was wondering if ticket sell out quick and if there is a limit to the amount of ticket i can buy. I really hope anyone can help!!!

• Options
    Miner987 wrote: »
    Hello I am new this will be my first year going to pax and i was wondering if ticket sell out quick and if there is a limit to the amount of ticket i can buy. I really hope anyone can help!!!
    The answers to those questions have been answered a bunch recently. Yes tickets sell out super fast. Yes there is a limit of 4 weekends worth of passes. (4 4-days or 4 sets of 1-days).

• Options
    larry365larry365 Registered User regular
    The tickets sell out faster and faster each year. I think last year there was a limit of 4 tickets for all days so you may be able to buy 4 4-day passes OR 4 tickets to each day (4 for Friday, 4 for Saturday, 4 for Sunday and 4 for Monday). Until tickets are actually on sale this is just speculation. Usually the last day sells out last. I hope you get tickets. Good luck.

• Options
    Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    I would help reduce the demand a bit by just buying a day or two of the general event, but I want to do BYOC for the long haul. Will it be possible to get into BYOC on days we don't have general admission passes for? I'd be fine with wandering the expo halls and booths on the less popular days, and hunkering down in BYOC on Saturday (which sells out fastest as a day pass).

I know this was not possible in the past, but since the whole point of going to 4 days was to encourage people to buy specific day passes, I'm hoping it will be considered for 2014. It doesn't make a lot of sense to haul your computer down there on Friday if you can't get to it over the weekend.

7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    Raptor007 wrote: »
    I would help reduce the demand a bit by just buying a day or two of the general event, but I want to do BYOC for the long haul. Will it be possible to get into BYOC on days we don't have general admission passes for? I'd be fine with wandering the expo halls and booths on the less popular days, and hunkering down in BYOC on Saturday (which sells out fastest as a day pass).

I know this was not possible in the past, but since the whole point of going to 4 days was to encourage people to buy specific day passes, I'm hoping it will be considered for 2014. It doesn't make a lot of sense to haul your computer down there on Friday if you can't get to it over the weekend.
    No, you cannot get into BYOC without a pass for the day you're attending. I sincerely doubt that they will revisit this decision, though I suppose I could be proven wrong.

• Options
    Miner987Miner987 Registered User regular
    Ok I am just so excited for pax i am buy 4 1 day passes

• Options
    VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    Does Seattle have more places to eat around the convention center than Boston does? PAX East Badges were stressful to get, I hope I am able to snag a Prime Badge.

• Options
    WedjatWedjat SeattleRegistered User regular
    Does Seattle have more places to eat around the convention center than Boston does? PAX East Badges were stressful to get, I hope I am able to snag a Prime Badge.
    Prime takes place in the heart of downtown Seattle (where as I understand, East is a lot more isolated?). So yeah, there's a lot of food. There's a thread that pops up every year that goes into detail about the food downtown, but you can find pretty much anything you want within a short walk from the convention center.

3DS 0404-6459-8631
  • Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    Ok so I just went to my first Pax East with a group and on a whim we decided: Why not do Prime as well? ... The problem is that, it is easier said then done. Most of us only live within a few hours of boston, but Pax prime would really be a trip.

Im getting a little off topic on my question though, but I noticed a lot of issues that went out about people having to pick up badges at will call even though they ordered them to be shipped. The problem with me is that, I am buying the passes before actually knowing if all of us are able to attend. If I was shipped the passes on time and could not go, I would just ship them to a few people I know that have been wanting to go in California. But my question is: What happens if we cannot go and the badges must be picked up at will call due to some shipping error? Am I just out the money I paid for the passes since no one would be there to pick them up?

• Options

all i have to say is good luck. me and my two friends have been trying for the last two years. we refuse to pay 2x-4x as much for ebay passes. 2/3 of us actually took a few days off to see if we could finally snag them this year.

• Options
    WedjatWedjat SeattleRegistered User regular
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    Ok so I just went to my first Pax East with a group and on a whim we decided: Why not do Prime as well? ... The problem is that, it is easier said then done. Most of us only live within a few hours of boston, but Pax prime would really be a trip.

Im getting a little off topic on my question though, but I noticed a lot of issues that went out about people having to pick up badges at will call even though they ordered them to be shipped. The problem with me is that, I am buying the passes before actually knowing if all of us are able to attend. If I was shipped the passes on time and could not go, I would just ship them to a few people I know that have been wanting to go in California. But my question is: What happens if we cannot go and the badges must be picked up at will call due to some shipping error? Am I just out the money I paid for the passes since no one would be there to pick them up?
    Badges are not shipped until about 2 weeks before the event. You'll have until then to figure out if you need to cancel. I believe there's usually a system where you can transfer a shipping address if you're giving your pass to someone else, and you can probably arrange to cancel them before they ship, as well, if needed (although that would have to be done directly through email and I'm not absolutely sure about being able to do it).

I'm not sure how common the errors are, but if everything falls apart (i.e., can't cancel/transfer the passes before they ship and they don't ship to you), then you're probably out of luck, yeah, but still might be able to get something worked out with the people in charge. Big maybes.

3DS 0404-6459-8631
  • Options
    solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    cardkid123 wrote: »

Yes, you are probably at a loss. And it would be an unfair scenario for those who were not able to get badges. Your best bet is to ensure that you are able to go before committing to buy badges.

solomon123 on
    xg81x9uysw01.png
  • Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    Don't get me worng. Im not buying badges just in case we can go. As of now, I am buying badges because we are going. Im just saying, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them went back on it because "something came up." I don't think it would be a problem. Im just saying, just in case.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Maybe I missed it in-thread, but people seem really keen on getting a 4-day pass. Is there any difference between 1 x 4-day and 4 x one day passes beyond having four badges to carry around instead of one?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Khraul wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it in-thread, but people seem really keen on getting a 4-day pass. Is there any difference between 1 x 4-day and 4 x one day passes beyond having four badges to carry around instead of one?

The difference is about $25.

:)

dm_magic on
    bn4KEyz.png
  • Options
    StarYoshiStarYoshi Game Designer / Data Scientist USARegistered User regular

Yes, yes it does. Here are my quick protips:

Avoid chains, and places inside the convention center, and pricy hotel restaurants.

Hit hipster joints and hole-in-the-wall joints.

Bring a drink and snack to the convo. I'll recommend my favorite eateries in a different thread.

Attendance
    PAX Prime / PAX Dev 2014
    PAX Prime 2013
    PAX Prime 2009
  • Options
    NymphodorahNymphodorah SeattleRegistered User regular

Yes, tons! There's a few places to eat within the convention center (Subway, Taco Del Mar, a little pizza place) but those are pricey and lines get crazy long. There's a Gameworks near by that sells food, a Blue C Sushi, and tons of other places. Keep in mind it's also close to Pike Place Market which is full of delicious local eats. Walk a block or two in any direction and you will find teh foodz.

It’s a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to.
    Twitter: ACatlett206
    Battletag: Tonks#1448
    Steam/Xbox: Nymphodorah
    Tumblr: thenerdy-narwhal