As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2014 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be approximately 8 months pregnant when PAX rolls around this year.

Would that qualify me for a medical pass? I'm still on the fence about going at all, as I might just be miserable the whole time.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    akjak wrote: »
    I'm going to be approximately 8 months pregnant when PAX rolls around this year.

Would that qualify me for a medical pass? I'm still on the fence about going at all, as I might just be miserable the whole time.
    Yes, you would absolutely be able to get a medical pass. Keep in mind the med pass is in addition to your regular badge, so you'd still need to procure a regular badge for entry into pax.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I see no reason why it wouldn't, since you would certainly require some sort of special consideration when it comes to seating and might not be in the best of condition to endure standing in line for more than an hour.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    akjak wrote: »

Yes, you would absolutely be able to get a medical pass. Keep in mind the med pass is in addition to your regular badge, so you'd still need to procure a regular badge for entry into pax.

Yep, that part I assumed. Thanks!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
    There was so much trouble last year with the ticket vendor's site. I was wondering if the site has updated servers, so they won't have that problem with outdated, possibly buggy XP-running ones? (assuming they even used XP) I believe this should be relevant to the thread discussion. If not, I'm very sorry! I hadn't seen any posts regarding this, so I thought perhaps I could ask and see if anyone knew.

Gaming since 1986.
    Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
    "S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
    Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    1. There's a registration thread here
    2. We do know what steps they took to improve the registration experience, it's just speculation on our part.

• Options
    The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
    Oh. I thought this page was more appropriate, when it's an actual Prime question instead of guessing on when __ will be coming. I don't know too terribly much about the servers involved, but I hoped the people on this thread just might have the official word on if all precautions had been taken involving XP's expiration. There are servers on the net right now still using XP and vulnerable to hacking attempts.

Gaming since 1986.
    Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
    "S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
    Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....
  • Options
    Oh. I thought this page was more appropriate, when it's an actual Prime question instead of guessing on when __ will be coming. I don't know too terribly much about the servers involved, but I hoped the people on this thread just might have the official word on if all precautions had been taken involving XP's expiration. There are servers on the net right now still using XP and vulnerable to hacking attempts.
    There is no official word to be had yet on whether or not significant improvements have been made since PAX East sales.

• Options
    CatInTheCradleCatInTheCradle Registered User new member
    Here's a question I have. The website notes this:

If we determine that your are ordering under different names and multiple addresses, all of your orders will be cancelled immediately.

However, one of my roommates and I will be camping the site for the rest of the Summer until we get our tickets. Each of us are going to try to order four four-day passes since our other friends will not have the opportunity since they will be at work or taking summer classes.

Is this a problem, like would all of our tickets be cancelled?

• Options
    You should be fine. 20 orders to different addresses from the same IP? Not so much.

• Options
    MidnightJesterMidnightJester Jester Extraordinaire Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    This isn't so much about PAX itself, but I just wanted to know if the West Coast Train Trip is still a thing that happens. I'm very much interested in taking part in that, but as the history on the wiki only goes to 2009 I wanted to make sure it didn't just fall apart or anything.

• Options
    This isn't so much about PAX itself, but I just wanted to know if the West Coast Train Trip is still a thing that happens. I'm very much interested in taking part in that, but as the history on the wiki only goes to 2009 I wanted to make sure it didn't just fall apart or anything.
    It is definitely still a thing. Not sure who is organizing this year though.

• Options
    MidnightJesterMidnightJester Jester Extraordinaire Los AngelesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PandaDiabloPandaDiablo Ruler of Canaries Paradise LostRegistered User regular
    does anyone know if showclix accepts American Express?

• Options
    PandaDiabloPandaDiablo Ruler of Canaries Paradise LostRegistered User regular
    does anyone know if showclix accepts American Express?
    nevermind, found it (yes)! If anyone else wnats to know: http://www.showclix.com/terms-of-service#acceptable-methods-of-payment

• Options
    pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    I have a quick question regarding Omegathon. Are International attendees eligible to participate? Specifically, America's hat Canada?

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    pogoplay wrote: »
    I have a quick question regarding Omegathon. Are International attendees eligible to participate? Specifically, America's hat Canada?
    I have been told that the answer is yes. What this means for the prizes, I do not know, but you are eligible to compete.

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    I have been told that the answer is yes. What this means for the prizes, I do not know, but you are eligible to compete.

Prize winnings are not taxable in Canada. So it means if they elect to take the cash prize instead of the trip, they don't have to pay taxes on it.

There have been many Canadians in the Omegathon over the years.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »

Prize winnings are not taxable in Canada. So it means if they elect to take the cash prize instead of the trip, they don't have to pay taxes on it.

There have been many Canadians in the Omegathon over the years.

Thanks for the response SmallLady! Awesome as always

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Speaking of the Omegathon, my BF will be ordering the tickets. Will I be eligible to be in, or just him?

• Options
    SilvertwinnSilvertwinn Going on 40. "Get off my lawn!"Registered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Speaking of the Omegathon, my BF will be ordering the tickets. Will I be eligible to be in, or just him?

Just him. As he is buying the tickets.

• Options
    Poopy. :( Thank you. Almost makes me want to buy my own, but it would be easier to make a single purchase.

• Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    any chance there will be some warning before passes are released this year?

disabledgamerj2 on
  • Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    Probably not.

• Options
    I would guess it's extremely unlikely, but we won't really know till it happens (or tickets go on sale without it).

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    If one were looking to get more involved in PAX (not Enforcering) who would you contact? I'm specifically thinking of the various freeplays. I bet I'm not the only person who has stuff sitting around they don't use and wouldn't mind seeing PAX benefit from. I haven't seen a recent call for donations and I was thinking that this would be a pretty good time for freeplay to pad out its library. What with a new gen and a lot of games soon to head to long-term storage.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I think for the most part freeplay only really takes donations from enforcers, but that's just what little I remember. For whom to contact, I would guess @Lackey would be a good start for tabletop, and @Brains for console. If they aren't the right people, they might at least know who to hunt down.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I think for the most part freeplay only really takes donations from enforcers, but that's just what little I remember. For whom to contact, I would guess @Lackey would be a good start for tabletop, and @Brains for console. If they aren't the right people, they might at least know who to hunt down.

There was a call for classic freeplay a few years ago. From what I've seen of the Console Freeplay library, I doubt they need much but personally, I'd rather give to PAX instead of never playing it or selling it for pennies on the dollar.

• Options
    Oh, question about the freeplay rooms! Can you bring your own games/consoles to hook up there, or can you only play what is set up? Was a little confused about this, and the past few posts have me even more confused. X3

• Options
    edited May 2014
    The freeplay rooms have provide the games/consoles. YoungFrey is looking to give his stuff for these rooms, but as zerzhul pointed out, that is not necessary.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    I see, alright. Shame, would have loved to have set up a Mario Party area. :3 Maybe they'll have some there to play already...

• Options
    I too hope to get in some Mario Party in the freeplay area! I'm sure they have at least a version of it.

• Options
    whypick1 wrote: »
    The freeplay rooms have provide the games/consoles. YoungFrey is looking to give his stuff for these rooms, but as zerzhul pointed out, that is not necessary.
    I'm not sure that's what I pointed out :P but if the answer is, for certain, that they don't take outside donations, that would be good to know.

• Options
    I see, alright. Shame, would have loved to have set up a Mario Party area. :3 Maybe they'll have some there to play already...
    You can definitely show up with a group and play a party game. I think the time is limited to 45min though, so an entire mario party run might not be doable in freeplay. Could definitely play some minigames though.

What some folks do, though, is bring their own consoles to the hotels for longer party games and hang out there after pax closes at midnight.

• Options
    We do plan to bring our own console(s) with us. :3 Well, as of now the BF is bringing his wii, where we will have access to MP 2, and... some of the GC ones, we are not sure which to get yet, plus another fun GC/Wii MP games. Once our room is set in stone, we'll have to see if anyone here wants to play. :3

But with that time limit, yeah, MP boards might take a while, unless you limited the turns to 15 or something. Perhaps Mario Kart would be a better MP game. :3 Or one of them there shooters. Does anyone here know off hand what some of the usual games there are?

• Options
    NymphodorahNymphodorah SeattleRegistered User regular
    We do plan to bring our own console(s) with us. :3 Well, as of now the BF is bringing his wii, where we will have access to MP 2, and... some of the GC ones, we are not sure which to get yet, plus another fun GC/Wii MP games. Once our room is set in stone, we'll have to see if anyone here wants to play. :3

But with that time limit, yeah, MP boards might take a while, unless you limited the turns to 15 or something. Perhaps Mario Kart would be a better MP game. :3 Or one of them there shooters. Does anyone here know off hand what some of the usual games there are?

For free play? They had a list of games that was several pages long. So, a lot.

It’s a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to.
    Twitter: ACatlett206
    Battletag: Tonks#1448
    Steam/Xbox: Nymphodorah
    Tumblr: thenerdy-narwhal
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular

@brains actually does Console Tourney I believe. I've pinged some people who run the area at Prime with a link to this thread. Hopefully they chime in.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Yeah I knew he was the tourney guy but I couldn't think of any names for freeplay so I figured it was a good start ;)

• Options
    TheWatchGuardTheWatchGuard Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    So I believe I have one last question. How much money does everyone think would be a good amount to bring? I was thinking around $800 for food and any purchases I would make?

Control your own destiny or someone else will
  • Options
    madtygermadtyger Lover of Bricks Side 3Registered User regular
    So I believe I have one last question. How much money does everyone think would be a good amount to bring? I was thinking around $800 for food and any purchases I would make?

I always bring about $25 per meal but that's usually overkill unless I go to a fancier restaurant. Plus, I always like to tip high, servers there have to deal with so many people because of PAX, lol.