As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motion Pictures. Now with talking AND colour!

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    natek wrote: »
    What about Free Willy? The whale jumps to freedom over the boy. Yaaaay...

Zoos are going to depress me now.
    Why didn't they depress me before? These animals aren't happy...dammit.

Well maybe penguins and seals, since they aren't being eaten by KILLER whales.
    At one of the local zoos, I remember seeing the orangutan exhibit. There was an old kiddy pool, and one of the orangutans had flipped it over and wouldn't go anywhere in the exhibit without being covered by it. It was almost as if he didn't want to be stared at by a bunch of slack-jawed humans.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    pInzlJZ.jpg

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Veronica Mars was pretty much all you could ask for from a VM movie. Just needed more Dick.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching The Way, Way Back.

It isn't, like, a perfect movie but having had a few family vacations that were...upsettingly similar, albeit without the Magical Water Park, and I was also an awkward motherfucker like Duncan so it really resonated with me.

Plus Sam Rockwell is always just entertaining as hell to watch.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I was really worried that
    Owen was gonna have that whole reveal where he is actually a horrible manchild and pushes Duncan away and blah blah

And then it turns out he is a genuinely rad dude who knows his flaws and is trying to improve them and wants the best for Duncan and yessss

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Veronica Mars was pretty much all you could ask for from a VM movie. Just needed more Dick.

The movie?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The movie needed more Dick as well.

But anywho. Yes, the movie. I'd say it's a must see for anybody that enjoyed the show.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSTVmYyk5ro

This movie is available for streaming on Netflix!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I'm torn between catching up on work I have or going to see Grand Budapest Hotel.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So JK Simmons has been cast in the Terminator reboot
    But the latest addition to the cast, via The Hollywood Reporter, is a bit different. J.K. Simmons will play “a weary and alcoholic detective who has followed a bizarre case involving Sarah Connor and robots for more than three decades (since 1984, which, not coincidentally, is the year the original movie, directed by James Cameron, was released).” Previously, Genesis has been vaguely described as a reboot of the franchise. This, however, suggests something a bit more complicated, a reboot mixed with new storylines that combine different characters from different timelines, with Clarke and Courtney in the past and Simmons (and maybe Clarke?) in the present. THR says Genesis “will thread together multiple ideas from the previous movies as it relaunches the story of a cyborg from a future where computers gained intelligence and waged war against mankind.”

This makes me want an entire movie which is just told from the perspective of this hard-drinking detective just piecing together the very edges of the conflict and never really getting close enough to see the whole picture. I think that could be really neat!

But I know that won't happen. But this still actually sounds pretty cool

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I fucking loved Grand Budapest Hotel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Ahhh I wanted to see that this weekend.

Go see it again and pick me up on your way there.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    mer MAN

MER MAN!!

mermanapproach.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    What on earth is that from?

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Cabin in the woods

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    natek wrote: »
    I watched Blackfish tonight. I might have cried a bit, who knows.
    But unless someone can come out and say that Seaworld and its ilk treat whales as royalty, I say fuck Seaworld.

Oh shit, it's Natek.

What it is, dude.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Oh.

Damn.

I keep meaning to see that.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    I liked Brave a lot

It was the first Pixar film I'd genuinely enjoyed since Ratatouille

Now it seems like Pixar is back in their hole again

Wait, so you didn't like UP?

Say whaaaaaaaat

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So JK Simmons has been cast in the Terminator reboot
    But the latest addition to the cast, via The Hollywood Reporter, is a bit different. J.K. Simmons will play “a weary and alcoholic detective who has followed a bizarre case involving Sarah Connor and robots for more than three decades (since 1984, which, not coincidentally, is the year the original movie, directed by James Cameron, was released).” Previously, Genesis has been vaguely described as a reboot of the franchise. This, however, suggests something a bit more complicated, a reboot mixed with new storylines that combine different characters from different timelines, with Clarke and Courtney in the past and Simmons (and maybe Clarke?) in the present. THR says Genesis “will thread together multiple ideas from the previous movies as it relaunches the story of a cyborg from a future where computers gained intelligence and waged war against mankind.”

This makes me want an entire movie which is just told from the perspective of this hard-drinking detective just piecing together the very edges of the conflict and never really getting close enough to see the whole picture. I think that could be really neat!

But I know that won't happen. But this still actually sounds pretty cool

It makes me think of Jameson yelling at John Conner from behind a desk.

"I WANT PICTURES. PICTURES OF TERMINATORS!"

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Wasn't Wall-E also after Ratatouille?

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    In the history of comic book movies, there has never been a casting as perfect as J.K. Simmons in the role of J. Jonah Jameson.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Wasn't Wall-E also after Ratatouille?

Yes.

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    In the history of comic book movies, there has never been a casting as perfect as J.K. Simmons in the role of J. Jonah Jameson.

counterpoint: karl urban's dredd

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    No man. Like, Karl Urban is a really, really good Dredd, but I'm pretty sure that J.K. Simmons channels the spirit of the actual, for real J. Jonah Jameson who exists in another dimension

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Karl Urban's Dredd had like... no personality. Which fits my idea of Dredd. But he's hardly characterful.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    karl urban was good as dredd and I loved the movie but,

I could have seen like another 50 people under the helmet doing just as well, hell even the guy playing lex might've been a good dredd.

he was good but didn't bring anything particularly special to it that someone else couldn't have done I don't think.

• Options
    i liked Her quite a bit too but i'm not sure i agree with what you put in the spoiler. i suppose the ending is open to different interpretation!

it was a very pretty movie. more so than anything else about it, i loved the palette of the film, it oozed a unique style

yeah it obviously very purposefully is suggesting something with that final shot, it's up to the viewer to determine,

my take
    one of the themes of the film is how people are always changing and becoming different people, and what that means with regards to relationships where you have two people who want to stick together yet are both evolving separately.

It mentions that they tried dated once before and it's laughed at about how wrong it was, I think it suggests at the end that they've both changed enough that maybe now is the time for them to be together.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    why doesn't she have dragony wings

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    The dragon is her final evolution.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Still gonna see that

Still need to see Sleeping Beauty first

Wonder if it's on Netflix...

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Still gonna see that

Still need to see Sleeping Beauty first

Wonder if it's on Netflix...

Yes and.... wait, what?

• Options
    She's the queen from sleeping beauty

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Actually, she's the evil fairy. My Wait, What comment was astounded at the idea that someone has not seen Sleeping Beauty.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    There's so many classic Disney movies I have not seen

I didn't see Snow White until like...three, four years ago?

Just saw Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo in the last year

Still never seen Pinocchio, The Jungle Book, Bambi, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Robin Hood, The Sword in the Stone

Basically I'm good from The Little Mermaid on, anything before that, likely not

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    All of those films are fantastic and I feel sorry for kid you that you missed them.

• Options
    Pinocchio may be my favourite Disney film

• Options
    Pinocchio used to scare the crap out of me.

Out of those I think Jungle Book is my favourite. But its beaten by Lion King and Beauty and the Beast.

God now I want to buy all the Disney classics and marathon them.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I can't even remember a time when I hadn't seen all of those.

However, I think the Disney Vault caused essentially all the kids growing up just prior to the DVD-era to miss out on a lot of them.

This discussion has been closed.