As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Japanese gamers furious at Dragon Ball Online development

LHOOLHOO Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Find a interesting news, source here

Most of you must notice Bandai just released the Dragon Ball Online couple days ago, and now there are something ridiculous happened. What do you think of the reaction? Kinda curious to see what gonna happen in the next few days.

Dball2.jpg
Dragon Ball is a famous Japanese comic and has numerous fanatic fans. The Japanese gamers expressed extreme fury at the fact that Korea is developing an online game based on Dragon Ball which is a proud to Japanese people.

Relation News: BANDAI released Dragon Ball Online

They complained it is unacceptable that such a highly-acclaimed national comic would be developed into an online game by Korea other than Japan itself. It also implies that BANDAI confessed that it is incapable of developing online games.

Several furious Japanese gamers posted in a gaming forum that sooner or later the Japanese game industry will be finished if Japan continues to give up valuable franchises to other countries without reserve.

However, in the past the Japanese gamers didnt show much concern on this sort of phenomenon. Why they reacted so fiercely on the Dragon Ball issue? Maybe this is a real blow to their pride to the local Japanese games and their longstanding confidence is shaken.

20070405190613361.jpg

LHOO on

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    let me just say that that picture proves that nobody knows how to offensively stereotype the japanese like the japanese.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Exar KunExar Kun __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Waiting for the obligatory nine thousand joke

Exar Kun on
    I like pie.
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    how silly this all is

Ranced on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Exar Kun wrote: »
    Waiting for the obligatory nine thousand joke

ninethousandaboo.jpg

This has to be one of the more retarded things I've ever seen related to the gaming industry that had nothing to do with Sony's advertising campaigns.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do you write for this site?

Just wondering.

EDIT: 'cause I see stuff like this and wonder - http://www.onrpg.com/boards/member-lhoo.html

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think it might have more to do with the japanese hating foreigners meddling with their culture.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    Exar KunExar Kun __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Because if Japan lacks Dragon Ball, I guess their fucked, and have nothing else to offer.

Exar Kun on
    I like pie.
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That chicken is shitting out golden eggs.

Best comic ever.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think it might have more to do with the japanese hating foreigners meddling with their culture.

No it's more that Japan and Korea have been enemies for quite a while, due to the whole Japan invading them thing and Japan denying it ever happend. I think that's what it is at least. Also, DBZ is proud to the japanese people? Wow, I just thought it was really popular. I guess if Korea starts developing an Astro Boy MMORPG, we can expect Japan to nuke them.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Just wondering.

EDIT: 'cause I see stuff like this and wonder - http://www.onrpg.com/boards/member-lhoo.html

:P just wanna discuss with more ppl about my childhood cartoon

LHOO on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gilder wrote: »

No it's more that Japan and Korea have been enemies for quite a while, due to the whole Japan invading them thing and Japan denying it ever happend. I think that's what it is at least. Also, DBZ is proud to the japanese people? Wow, I just thought it was really popular. I guess if Korea starts developing an Astro Boy MMORPG, we can expect Japan to nuke them.
    Well...that's why Korea hates Japan. Japanese hate Koreans for their own (surely just as distorted) reasons.

As for jpns hating culture-meddling foreigners...nah. They go fucking apeshit for most any american or french cultural influence.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hahaha. Wow. It took this long for any sort of anger to get reported?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

QFT! rofl

LHOO on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LHOO wrote: »

Just wondering.

Well I just meant how you were putting "mmosite" as your URL for a lot of the other forums you register at. But you decided to use a weirdo joke URL here instead.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Japanese are morons, Dragon Ball Z is shit, and I'm not saying Toriyama is a bad artist, but you could stick a broom up my arse, coated in treacle, and with that I could draw a character more resembling a human than anything in his repertoire, on a wall, without even trying. I don't usually approve of Korean MMOs, but if this ends up as yet another ho-hum grindathon and just one of these protesters takes their own life because of that, this whole venture would have been worthwhile.

I gisanggwa i mameuro chungseong-eul dahayeo,
    Goerouna jeulgeouna nara saranghase.
    Mugunghwa samcheolli hwaryeogangsan,
    Daehansaram daehaneuro giri bojeonhase!

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Houk wrote: »

Well...that's why Korea hates Japan. Japanese hate Koreans for their own (surely just as distorted) reasons.

As for jpns hating culture-meddling foreigners...nah. They go fucking apeshit for most any american or french cultural influence.

Well I figured it would be more like Korea hates Japan for those reasons and then they say stuff like "Japanese people are fucking douchebags." and then japanese people would be all "What the hell? No we aren't. You're the douchebags you douchebags." and then they start hating Korea and they proceed to have many quarrels over the dumbest shit, such as a DBZ MMORPG.

Gilder on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    LHOO wrote: »

Just wondering.

Well I just meant how you were putting "mmosite" as your URL for a lot of the other forums you register at. But you decided to use a weirdo joke URL here instead.

He's the next evolution of Khoo.
    i'm so sorry

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    The Japanese are morons, Dragon Ball Z is shit, and I'm not saying Toriyama is a bad artist, but you could stick a broom up my arse, coated in treacle, and with that I could draw a character more resembling a human than anything in his repertoire, on a wall, without even trying. I don't usually approve of Korean MMOs, but if this ends up as yet another ho-hum grindathon and just one of these protesters takes their own life because of that, this whole venture would have been worthwhile.

I gisanggwa i mameuro chungseong-eul dahayeo,
    Goerouna jeulgeouna nara saranghase.
    Mugunghwa samcheolli hwaryeogangsan,
    Daehansaram daehaneuro giri bojeonhase!

This guy is shitting golden quotes.

Best post ever.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, the load of engrish in this "newspost" is incredible. I love it.

On topic: They didn't complain when we took Metroid away from them.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    If this [Korean MMO] ends up as yet another ho-hum grindathon...

This is the safest bet in the history of gaming.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    On topic: The didn't complain when we took Metroid away from them.

Strangely enough, they never really liked Metroid. It was always more popular in the west.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So why doesn't Japan just make their own if they want it so bad.

No? Then quit bitching. It's not like mmos are some new concept and dbz has never been popular.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmm, sounds oddly familiar.

Replace DBZ with Fallout.

Replace Korean developers with Bethesda.

Replace angry japanese with those crazy fucknut Fallout people from that place who's name escapes me at the moment... FOH? The batshit crazy ones.

Heh, kinda funny that.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

No? Then quit bitching. It's not like mmos are some new concept and dbz has never been popular.

Bandai owns every license ever. They have a say in who makes a DBZ-related game, I think. :(

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Imagine Blizzard announces Starcraft 2... will be made by EA, by their development studio in China. They can't just make their own because the IP is hostage to a company that is doing things they disagree with.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Everyone should just play Bid For Power. That was fun right?

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Imagine Blizzard announces Starcraft 2... will be made by EA, by their development studio in China. They can't just make their own because the IP is hostage to a company that is doing things they disagree with.

A company that would be more than happy to dish out a C&D if necessary.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    CalvinCalvin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If done right, the game could be pretty fun...

Calvin on
    Danger is the spice of life.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Calvin wrote: »
    If done right, the game could be pretty fun...

Korean MMO's are never done right. I'm pretty sure we could go over every Korean-made MMO and classify it as terrible.

I mean, I could probably word that better, but... I dunno.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ValeeValee Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Simply, the Japanese are overreacting. Or are they?

Being one of the most ethnically homogeneous country in the world, the Japanese take pride in their culture and seek to preserve it, in the face of seeping cultural influence from other countries, aging/declining population and the migration of population to their urban centers. This leads Japan to feel almost entitled to institutionalized racial discrimination and xenophobia against foreigners and racial minorities (such as koreans who are permanent residents in Japan). There are even Japanese newspapers that specialize in reporting crimes committed by koreans and chinese in Japan.

In this Dragon Ball incident, the Japanese are probably angry someone else is "stealing" their culture. Which probably also explains why Japan sometimes do mystifying things such as setting up a "sushi police" to certify Japanese cuisine overseas.

Valee on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know, I honestly don't see how a DBZ MMO could NOT be a grindfest. I mean, wasn't that the whole point of the series? Fight each other the icrease your powerlevel?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    You know, I honestly don't see how a DBZ MMO could NOT be a grindfest. I mean, wasn't that the whole point of the series? Fight each other the icrease your powerlevel?

Sometimes they looked for dragonballs.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    GertBeef wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »

Sometimes they looked for dragonballs.

It must suck to die in this game then, having to wait for people to gather up some balls to res you.

I'm sorry, it was obligatory.

Henroid on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Really? There were dragonballs? I thought they were just a mythical plot device.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    just because a few oily otaku in an online forum complained about bandai's business decisions doesnt mean that japan gives two shits about dragonball.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man I hate to say it but a Dragonball MMO could be totally awesome. Seeing as it's Korean though... not likely.

Noray on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited April 2007
    That's kind of racist, Japan.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What's funny is, I can't seem to recall any outrage over Atari making a Dragon Ball Z fighting game outside of Japan, and a good one at that.

Well, "good" is subjective, but I think most would agree that the Atari efforts bested the Japanese efforts.

The OTHER funny thing is, Dragon Ball is essentially a reimagining of a Chinese legend to begin with.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's not "the japanese" who have a problem with this - it's a small number of overly nationalistic idiots. I'm sure the majority don't give a fuck.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What's funny is, I can't seem to recall any outrage over Atari making a Dragon Ball Z fighting game outside of Japan, and a good one at that.

Well, "good" is subjective, but I think most would agree that the Atari efforts bested the Japanese efforts.

The OTHER funny thing is, Dragon Ball is essentially a reimagining of a Chinese legend to begin with.

Atari published those, but they were developed by Dimps/some other guys, in Japan. that is, I assume you're talking about the Budokai games. Developed in Japan.

Noray on