Options

Hiking is some of the biggest bullshit ever.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There could be a bee.

Mayhap even a spider

I only see spiders out and about if you get right up close a hedge they might be in. Our spiders are only wee beasties.

You're talking me into moving to the UK.

The UK has good vistas as seen from trains.

And meat pies.

And Literature.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Not all nature is bad

The ocean, for example, kicks ass

And either this Sunday or next Sunday is looking like it's going to be my first beach day of the year

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Sometimes I just get the urge to eat a steak and kidney pie.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    There could be a bee.

you could also get sweaty and muddy and injured in a countless number of ways

as long as we're listing positives, I mean

I loved when I'd accidentally fall into the creek and get super muddy. I wasn't supposed to be in the water/mud but it was always so much fun squishing and splashing around.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Our beaches are less than fantastic, thats a UK downside.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I kind of miss being as active as I was during high school. I ran cross country, and I did a ton of camping through Boy Scouts and all that. Like, I did my fair share of sitting on my ass playing video games even then, but I also spent a lot more time outside just...doing things. I mean, I worked at a camp for two years, I was camping like, once a month, and I was running, all that stuff. Now I mostly don't leave the apartment, and it's mostly because I'm lazy, and I kind of need to just...do something about it, already.

Right now the trail I'd normally run on is probably mostly underwater because the record snowfall we had over the winter is melting and it's already basically a creek, and I don't have the money to buy a new pair of running shoes, but at some point those excuses are going to stop being relevant.

• Options

Brighton was charming!

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    When I was in junior high me and the family were out hiking a trail in the Wichita mountains wildlife refuge in Oklahoma, had our dog with us. We're at about the halfway point of the trail when the dog decides to go roll in a giant fresh pile of buffalo/longhorn crap.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Hm. I dunno if I'd fit in there.

• Options
    I think my favorite part about the UK was trying to detect accents that did not match the local accent.

I did this in Japan too, it's a lot of fun.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

Brighton was charming!

Aww, that's a bonus then!

• Options

Enjoying a meat pie isn't compulsory.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I also want to mention once more that the week I spent crewing a brigantine in the Pacific was so incredibly badass and I still think sometimes that the solution to all my problems is to drop everything and TAKE TO THE SEA

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I need to try a meat pie.

I like meat, I like gravy. What could go wrong?

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular

Oh no I would eat hella meat pies.

• Options

If there's anything visitors or migrants to the UK should be forced to eat, it's jellied eels.

• Options
    I need to try a meat pie.

I like meat, I like gravy. What could go wrong?

Nothing.

Nothing can go wrong.

• Options
    I also want to mention once more that the week I spent crewing a brigantine in the Pacific was so incredibly badass and I still think sometimes that the solution to all my problems is to drop everything and TAKE TO THE SEA

Gonna call you Ishmael.

• Options
    I mentioned the hiking trip in New Mexico earlier, but really it's probably the most...outdoors-y thing I've ever done, and likely ever will do. It was two weeks in the mountains, and it was this big Scout...reservation? I don't really know the term, but it's called Philmont, and you're basically hiking from campsite to campsite with your tent and all of your gear, and you're picking up new food from waystations along the way, and there are other little stations and campgrounds along your trail, where you'd do shit like throw hatchets, or shoot black powder rifles. You'd have to set up bear bags, all that kind of thing. It was mostly really cool, aside from some drama that kind of slowly built up along the trip because two of the people there weren't really equipped for the hikes, and frustration kind of boiled over at the end.

But along the way, there was a lot of cool shit. I mean, for one, it was pretty spectacular just to look at everything out there. You'd get used to the honestly pretty crappy food, because it kept you going and because you didn't really have any other choice (I probably still think boxed mashed potatoes are way better than they actually are). I rode a horse for the first time, and I found out I could actually throw tomahawks kind of well, which was pretty surprising. I lost a single shoe, and one of my biggest disappointments was that we had to skip the shotgun range, where I was going to shoot the crap out of its remaining partner. We ate lunch in a latrine one day, because it was the driest possible place, and then I almost got hypothermia because it got really fucking cold and I'm pretty sure we lost the trail on the way to our next campsite. I learned a song about girardia that I still can't really forget. And I got to see someone swear he could play Stairway to Heaven on guitar and comprehensibly fuck it up for the first time.

And we took a train! It was kind of fucking crazy, and I kind of doubt I could do it again, but I'm really glad I did it

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    One time Vivienne and I were on a trip down south and I suggested to go for a walk so we did the trail to one of the climbing crags there.

She told me she had never been more scared in her life.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    One time my mom stepped in a banana slug.

Not on.

In.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    I mean I've got enough of the sea shanties down that I should be good to set sail at any time

• Options
    Oh right, there was a mountain that everyone was supposed to climb, and there was basically no trail. It was just...a bunch of rocks and then a small ledge that you'd edge along before you went the rest of the way up to the highest point you could climb to. And I looked up once and decided that there was no fucking way I was going up there. And the Scoutmaster came up and was like "you're gonna regret not going up there later" and I kind of had to restrain myself from just laughing in his face a little bit? But I was kind of having a bit of a panic attack, so it wasn't really that hard. Anyways that was 10 years ago and I'm still like "I'm really glad I didn't go up that fucking mountain"

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I need a new lawyer...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I'm still not entirely sure on the precise difference between hiking and walking.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Oh hey Geebs that 100 mile hike I mentioned was through Philmont
    I'm kinda tempted to work there over a future summer but that'd mean taking skeevy Boy Scouts of America dollars

My favorite high adventure thing I did with Boy Scouts was a hiking and canoeing trip in Alaska. One week canoeing Birch Creek, to the wayyyy north, and four days hiking the Kesugi ridge, which runs parallel to Denali and the Alaska range but is maybe half to a third the height. Stunning scenery and wildlife. Killer mosquitoes. The only people we saw during the canoe trip were some yokels driving motorboats the opposite direction midway through the week.
    One of our guys fucked up his shoulder and we still had to finish the trip because there was no way to get him out of there - Philmont, in comparison, would've had him driven out to a medical facility in minutes to hours. Real fuckin middle of nowhere. We passed the road where the Chris McCandless bus is, to give you an idea of how far out the hiking was. And the canoeing was even further out. Alaska is scary.

• Options
    facetious wrote: »
    I'm still not entirely sure on the precise difference between hiking and walking.

I would guess that hiking generally indicates that you're going a long distance through wilderness, most likely through elevated terrain
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Oh hey Geebs that 100 mile hike I mentioned was through Philmont
    I'm kinda tempted to work there over a future summer but that'd mean taking skeevy Boy Scouts of America dollars

My favorite high adventure thing I did with Boy Scouts was a hiking and canoeing trip in Alaska. One week canoeing Birch Creek, to the wayyyy north, and four days hiking the Kesugi ridge, which runs parallel to Denali and the Alaska range but is maybe half to a third the height. Stunning scenery and wildlife. Killer mosquitoes. The only people we saw during the canoe trip were some yokels driving motorboats the opposite direction midway through the week.
    One of our guys fucked up his shoulder and we still had to finish the trip because there was no way to get him out of there - Philmont, in comparison, would've had him driven out to a medical facility in minutes to hours. Real fuckin middle of nowhere. We passed the road where the Chris McCandless bus is, to give you an idea of how far out the hiking was. And the canoeing was even further out. Alaska is scary.

That sounds pretty nuts. I think some local troops organized some trips up to some place called boundary waters, on the US/Canada border, that sounds basically similar to that, but I never went. I'm not sure why, maybe I was too young when they were organizing them, or something.

And yeah, I'm really upset with the BSA for their shitty anti-gay policies, at the moment. Mostly because I got to experience a ton of really cool stuff through scouting and it's fucking awful to think that some kid or their parents won't get to experience that because of that shitty policy.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Walking is like, going to the fridge.

You don't tell your friends about your great trip to your fridge do you?

• Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I dated a girl once who lived near a place called Minni H-Ha Falls (in Katoomba, Australia) there was a quite dangerous walk you could go on that would end up somewhere near Leura (I think?). Girlfriend at the time took me on it once, didn't warn me about the heights on it. Ended up having a panic attack and not being able to continue.

Not my finest hour.

• Options
    I mean, I was an active Eagle Scout and Venturer up until I went to college, so like last August. I was pretty outspoken about my opinions about the Boy Scouts as an organization, but the sad fact of the matter is that even in liberal-ass northern Virginia, the Boy Scout parents and kids still tend towards military-grade conservative and patriarchal tendencies. So the second I got as many awards as I could buff my resume with (the last event I attended was getting my OA Vigil, which is a stupid rare and prestigious award), I ditched. No country for bisexual Buddhist nineteen year olds.

• Options
    I could say that I wish I'd been more aware of that stuff when I was active in scouting but the reality is that when I was in high school, that stuff barely pinged on my radar. I do think they are...very slowly starting to work through some of that nonsense, but it's going to take a lot more pressure, and it's going to cost them some memberships. I can't help but imagine that they'd be stronger in the long run if they drove off some of the more deeply bigoted assholes, though.

Last year I volunteered to help my cousins' Cub Scout pack as a liaison between the pack and my parents' church, and they sent me a survey asking me what I thought of the idea of letting gay youth or parents help out. I was probably supposed to check with the church, but I told them that I thought the policy was shitty and harmful to both kids and scouting as a whole. I doubt it had much of an effect, but I don't regret it.

• Options
    facetious wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiking

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Walking is like, going to the fridge.

You don't tell your friends about your great trip to your fridge do you?

Depends on what I've got in there.

• Options
    do Scout badges really punch up the old resume that much?

• Options
    do Scout badges really punch up the old resume that much?

earning an Eagle Scout rank is a huge fucking deal, yeah

• Options
    I never could get a straight answer on why.

• Options
    That's the best kind of thing to do on the small scale. The sad fact of the way scouting is run is that so many dollars and top leaders at the high levels come in from troops that are sponsored by Mormon, Catholic, and other conservative/ religious groups (my Order of the Arrow lodge was also sponsored by the American Legion post for that chunk of Fairfax county) that the only way to really affect the broad organization is for their base to demand change, and for their press to become really awful.

Girl Scouts are an entirely separate and much more progressive organization, but they also require more paperwork and insurance than filing taxes in order to do any fun stuff like hiking or even basic camping. This is why a lot of girl scouts drop out or join Venturing (which is run by the Boy Scouts).

• Options
    It takes a lot of work, time, and requires some amount of leadership. There's a certain amount of respect attached to it, especially considering how, well, patriarchal most companies are, I guess.

I dunno. I was told that it was a big deal even outside of scouting as I was in it, and I'm pretty sure Eagle Scouts come out of basic with a slightly higher rank in the military, so, I dunno. I've never been on the hiring side of things so I don't really know how much of an impact it has, and it's not really come up much in any interviews I've had since I earned mine

• Options
    Weirdly enough, a lot of scouting organizations in other countries are co-ed at almost all levels after primary school, and don't preach the freaky conservative shit American Boy Scouts are indoctrinated to. It's why they hand out condoms at the world jamborees, and stuff like that.

• Options
    I kind of went off about the gays in scouting issue on twitter tonight and then this happened, so