As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hiking is some of the biggest bullshit ever.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've known a few dudes who were scouts but every one of them just kinda fucked around for a while and then quit sometime during high school, so I have no gauge for how big of a deal Eagle scout is

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm an Eagle Scout. Got it in '03, because I'm olllllld.

It's funny what stuck with me and what didn't. I'm still handy with power tools, still got nature and first aid skillz. But I forgot basically every knot that doesn't have sexual applications.

• Options

It's funny what stuck with me and what didn't. I'm still handy with power tools, still got nature and first aid skillz. But I forgot basically every knot that doesn't have sexual applications.

There are knots that don't have sexual applications?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Knot tying is so awesome

It is the sort of skill that will make your life after the apocalypse so much easier.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I was never super great at knot tying which was kind of shitty because I was supposed to teach first year campers shit like that when I was working at a summer camp. I could probably still rock at orienteering, though. And I can still probably teach axe safety in my sleep

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The thing with Eagle scouts, having known a ton of them, is that you can almost always tell which ones got it because of their parents, and which ones got it because they actually had the drive to do so. It's the latter category who are almost always really awesome dudes. The first category tend to lack spines.

• Options

Huh, I guess I must have gotten mine in '03, too, because I came in just under the 18 year old cut off line. I always just assume I got it in '04 because of when I graduated high school

• Options
    I learned some knots, again, on that sailing trip, but I don't remember a one

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I got my Eagle award the day after my 18th birthday (you have to do the scoutmaster conference by the day of but the board of review can be any time six months after the conference), but I waited until my brother got his to do the actual court of honor ceremony. That was only a matter of two months.

My parents scheduled the Court for the Sunday night of Katsucon 2012. I showed up to my Eagle Court of Honor having gotten two hours of sleep, no food in the past 24 hours (all of it had gone down a Gaylord hotel toilet along with half a case of Yuengling and some Captain), the taste of dick still in my mouth after I got a rebound from breaking up with my then-girlfriend, my legs aching from walking several miles of hotel corridor, and no shower. I somehow maintained consciousness through the whole Court.

Edit: or, for a brief day, I took on the spirit of the party and became @Zonugal, albeit with inopportune timing.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Oh boy, other Eagle Scouts! I got mine in 2007, and still don't remember a single knot that wasn't a square knot. Our scout master had to spend my first conference actually teaching me knots just so I could pass.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I was a Cub Scout through the whole process and was a Boy Scout for a good solid 2 weeks before the friend and I that did it all together decided to bail because everyone that was in that Boy Scout group we joined were total and absolute shitheels. Made every meeting a shitty experience and chucked all the fun out of it.
    Still kind of bummed about that now that I haven't done much outdoorsmen stuff since then and that was maybe at the start of Junior High, maybe High School.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hiking is super fun. I usually only get to hike when I am a camp counselor every August.

I have two friends who just finished the Pacific Coast Trail and another two who are about to begin it.

I'd love to do that someday.

Someday when I could take off 3-4 months of work, remove myself from society and just experience nature with a friend.

You owe it to yourself and me to let me know when you want to tackle the lower chunk of Oregon and California; I will totally be by your side for that!

Also, we should do this bad boy

Day-93_Pilot-rock.jpg

Pilot Rock, you can see it from I-5, and it's certainly not as intimidating as it looks (you drive up near the base of it, and the trail intersects the PCT. But then you get up here and it's fantastically THIS

kgYVso7.jpg?2
    (fabulous boyfriend not included)

Also Table Rock is a great hike, but I've done it so many times. Great in the mid-spring; the plateu top has vernal pools and wildflowers all over. Apparently after June, those are replaced with spiders and rattlesnakes all over. Though we did go up there sometime in August once (at like 4 in the morning) to watch the sun rise over the Rogue Valley.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Hey, I guess I could ask this here.

Does anyone know a good 3 day 2 nights backpacking trip in California the last week of March? Mostly all 3 people going it will be first time multi-day backpacking trip. Right now we're thinking just doing the Big Sur hike to the hot springs, but I've heard some interesting stuff around the Santa Barbara area. We're actually going to be in the Mt. Whitney/Lone Pine area Sunday and Monday for climbing reasons but we're assuming it'll be to cold for that area.

Any one happen to have suggestions?

WT83sWz.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    While I love snow and snowpack, i cant wait for Mt Si to clear up so i can hike around there, that and anything around the cascades.

• Options
    Hey, I guess I could ask this here.

Does anyone know a good 3 day 2 nights backpacking trip in California the last week of March? Mostly all 3 people going it will be first time multi-day backpacking trip. Right now we're thinking just doing the Big Sur hike to the hot springs, but I've heard some interesting stuff around the Santa Barbara area. We're actually going to be in the Mt. Whitney/Lone Pine area Sunday and Monday for climbing reasons but we're assuming it'll be to cold for that area.

Any one happen to have suggestions?

I'm trying to think of what backpacking trips I did for scouts. Most of them were 2 day 1 night trips, but the only one I can think of was when we hiked Mt. Whitney, which is not something I'd suggest to someone unless you specifically train for it.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    UnbreakableVow, you aren't going to get a god-damn achievement point from hiking!

Please

I have given up on Achievements

If it gets me a Trophy though

Just sayin', I wouldn't mind having my palms greased a bit

Well, how about XP for level grinding?

Seriously though, does anyone else play Ingress?

I've picked it up this year and so far have really enjoyed the fact that it's taken me to little out of the way places and gives me an excuse to go out and see things I might otherwise take for granted, even just within a 30 minute walk from my office building.

Don't get me wrong, I love hiking, and I'm not saying that wandering around an urban landscape is just as inspiring, but as a supplemental activity to actually break you out of your routine and give you a fun little game to play while getting you out and about opportunistically... well, I think it's kinda neat. I mean, we're talking about the beauty of the world and how cool it is to be going out and seeing the wonders of nature, but the wonders of man in an urban setting can be pretty impressive on the mind, too.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Drugs and nature: two great tastes that taste like mushrooms.

Seriously though, nothing like getting weird in the stunning beauty of unspoiled natural splendor. Take it from your ol' pal Metzger.

Also, nature is still pretty cool while sober. I guess.

Anyone who is in the Cheyenne/Laramie Wyoming area should check out Vedauwoo (pronounce Vayda-Voo), it's a state park with some of the most amazing rock formations and great camping with lots of wildlife. Streams fed by beaver ponds and stuff. It's insanely gorgeous.

http://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&q=vedauwoo&spell=1&sa=X&ei=hvYjU_DBNoal2wXspYGoAw&ved=0CCIQBSgA

Lots of locals like to go four-wheeling and shootin up there, there's never been any accidental shootings or anything so don't fret too much, just don't be surprised to hear shots now and again.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    No country for bisexual Buddhist nineteen year olds.

Oh hey it's me how are ya.

Also, you... uh... you still got that uniform? :winky:

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Wrong thread. Damn you tab confusion.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
  • Options

Huh, I guess I must have gotten mine in '03, too, because I came in just under the 18 year old cut off line. I always just assume I got it in '04 because of when I graduated high school

Yeah, that was my exact situation. I was barely under the wire.

What was your Eagle project?

@Mortal Sky and @Nirya too, detail yo projects

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    When I was a wee lad, I really wanted to be a cub scout, because I wanted to play with knives and start fires. My father refused to sign me up, saying I would hate it. I finally convinced him to take me to the big join the cub scouts meeting, and he spent the whole car ride telling me how I was wasting his time and mine because I wouldn't want to join.

He fell asleep just after we sat down. I was quickly bored out of my fucking mind as they discussed knots, camping, and building character. When I realized I would not receive a free pass to cut and burn shit along with the uniform, I woke my dad up and told him he was right.

He spent the whole ride home telling me what an asshole I was for wasting the evening.

Good times.

My cousin was an eagle scout.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Metroidzoid, don't you tempt me!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I got my Eagle award the day after my 18th birthday (you have to do the scoutmaster conference by the day of but the board of review can be any time six months after the conference), but I waited until my brother got his to do the actual court of honor ceremony. That was only a matter of two months.

My parents scheduled the Court for the Sunday night of Katsucon 2012. I showed up to my Eagle Court of Honor having gotten two hours of sleep, no food in the past 24 hours (all of it had gone down a Gaylord hotel toilet along with half a case of Yuengling and some Captain), the taste of dick still in my mouth after I got a rebound from breaking up with my then-girlfriend, my legs aching from walking several miles of hotel corridor, and no shower. I somehow maintained consciousness through the whole Court.

Edit: or, for a brief day, I took on the spirit of the party and became @Zonugal, albeit with inopportune timing.

This story made me happy.

I am also happy to hear I am like the spirit of vengeance from Ghost Rider.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    We redid the inside of a building our church owns/owned. They used it for youth group stuff, and the wallpaper was peeling, and the ceiling was shit, so we tore all the stuff out, painted the walls and textured the ceilings.

• Options
    My project was basically rebuilding the outdoor area for the local Autism center here. They only had a pop-up tent and a large grassy area, so we built them a bunch of picnic tables, planted some trees, and raised some money to buy them sports equipment and anything else they wanted that we could get them.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I think that hiking is probably the secret to a monumentally hot ass.

cycling

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The last hike I went on was in February in Austria with some forumers. It was scenic, tiring and highly entertaining. Tomorrow I'm hopefully going to the Wye valley assuming the weather doesn't do a total nosedive.

Back in my teens I used to go on lots of hikes with my friends. We would drive to the New Forest, take some magic mushrooms and walk for hours. We always got totally lost and would keep stumbling on the wild ponies doing their things, and just stop and watch them a while. Those were some fantastic days.

I love hiking, and camping. Give me open spaces and dirt and bugs and birds, instead of all this concrete and densely packed humanity. I cannot wait to get back to Africa.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    my friend dragged me to one of those car racing scout events. the little cars just kind of roll down a long wooden ramp, pitifully.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I quit Boy Scouts for two reasons: 1) I realized I was an atheist, which, well, yeah, and 2) I lost any clout I may have had after the group of adults and kids that were there when I joined left, leaving the parents of all the kids who were younger than me in charge.

One of the very few times I have ever lost my shit was the last time I went to summer camp. Basically, they were announcing Order of the Arrow elections for my troop and my brother (who had barely participated at all over the past year while I went on almost every camping trip) got elected and I didn't. I realized almost instantly that I had no political standing within the troop, that I would never get elected to any leadership positions, and that the past few years had been a colossal waste of time and that apparently no one liked me.

When we got back to the campsite I threw my flashlight against the side of my cabin in anger and frustration. I basically quit after we got back.

• Options
    the cheat wrote: »
    my friend dragged me to one of those car racing scout events. the little cars just kind of roll down a long wooden ramp, pitifully.

Pinewood derby was always a great way to find out who in your troop was a cheatin' dickhead letting his parent(s) do all the work

Yeah, Derek, sure, your third-grade ass used a lathe and NASA specifications for aerodynamics. We all believe you. Enjoy your ribbon.

• Options
    See, my dad would help us with the more dangerous stuff like using power tools and whatnot, but otherwise it was all us.

Also we never "cheated" perse. Just sort of... maybe pressed the rules a bit. Like weighting the car, for example. Technically legal!

• Options
    our pack had an "adults and siblings" category so that hopefully the parents that were gonna be assholes about things would maybe get it out of their systems

I distinctly remember that someone had a fucking radical batmobile one year, and I believe I called my car "liquid pavement" because I had somehow convinced myself that that made any goddamned sense

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    liquid pavement aka tar

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    I think the logic was that the car would go so fast it was like it was going through water, and because I was like, 10, I thought that meant the car would...go faster?

• Options
    My Eagle project was planting a couple rows of shade trees at my troop's church, because the old shade trees were of a species that got so huge they risked falling over and they got preemptively cut down. But the planting went so quickly that we needed to pad it out, so we also finished another project that had gone unfinished. An older Eagle project had, a year before, left a shed built but unpainted and effectively unroofed beyond some tar paper. The guy simply ran out of time on his project due to prior hangups (he still made Eagle). The wood was so thirsty for primer that we had to go way overschedule and nearly over budget. But dammit, we got that shed looking good.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    UnbreakableVow, you aren't going to get a god-damn achievement point from hiking!

Please

I have given up on Achievements

If it gets me a Trophy though

Just sayin', I wouldn't mind having my palms greased a bit

Well, how about XP for level grinding?

Seriously though, does anyone else play Ingress?

I've picked it up this year and so far have really enjoyed the fact that it's taken me to little out of the way places and gives me an excuse to go out and see things I might otherwise take for granted, even just within a 30 minute walk from my office building.

Don't get me wrong, I love hiking, and I'm not saying that wandering around an urban landscape is just as inspiring, but as a supplemental activity to actually break you out of your routine and give you a fun little game to play while getting you out and about opportunistically... well, I think it's kinda neat. I mean, we're talking about the beauty of the world and how cool it is to be going out and seeing the wonders of nature, but the wonders of man in an urban setting can be pretty impressive on the mind, too.

I started playing Ingress a while back but my experience has been exactly the opposite, since my office and the little office park where I take all my lunch breaks are within range of a billion or so portals so I never have to go more than a block out of my way.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular

cycling

I know. I need a bicycle though. Problem is, I can't afford one. I'll bet that someone on the forums has one that I could borrow until I can buy my own, but around here there's a 100% chance that it would be stolen or stripped. Ho hum.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What's weird is the people that ride their bikes to work have not had them messed with or stolen even though they hide them in the space between the wall and the plants cage

I walk to work and wear those same shoes to work
    I think I have blown through 12 pairs in the last 3 years
    I need to find better shoes

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

cycling

I know. I need a bicycle though. Problem is, I can't afford one. I'll bet that someone on the forums has one that I could borrow until I can buy my own, but around here there's a 100% chance that it would be stolen or stripped. Ho hum.

Same problem, I'm shite at cycling and would like to learn to stay on a bike. But they cost a lot and we got our back yard broke into and my housemate's bike nicked a few months ago even though it was chained up. There are a lot of stolen bikes.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mine got stolen from me by the guy who delivered my grandfather's paper
    When I saw him one it a few nights later well he had to find someone else to deliver the papers that summer
    because after I beat him up in the street they called the cops to tell them where they could find the guy stealing the stuff from everyone in the neighborhood