As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I should have had [chat] prepared!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I find the whole complaint about Hippies not wanting to go to war thus not worth listening to almost insulting to these people.

The people who mostly fought that war were the poor and those unable to get out of the draft. The middle class was being dragged in later but the folks who fought many had no way of getting out of the draft by schooling or their folks. The fact people didn't want to go to a war we later found out was built on a lie to fight in another countries civil war makes a lot of sense. Same way thousands and thousands of folks marched in the US against Iraq though that gets washed over.

And I think that complaint comes from folks whose family was not effected by Vietnam in some close way. There is a trunk of letters my mom has kept from her many friends who went to that war because of the draft. Many of them didn't come back or didn't come back quiet right. Reading those letters you realize how damaging that war was to the US both on an individual level and how that damaged our psyche for years to come.

Vietnam was a war of choice. A war we let get started by handing Vietnam to the French after WWII. Whose leader actually came to the US first asking for help to build a democratic society but who was ignored by those in power do to his "communist" connections because they were the only organized resistance against the French in the 1920's. To discredit the anti-war movement of the late 1960's early 1970's as just people not wanting to go to war is ludicrous and ignores the reality of the time and the underlying factors of that war.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    god damn it I want to pierce my lip

Where did this come from sir Skippington?

my love for body mod?

I haven't gotten a new tattoo in almost 2 years, I left my earrings out for too long and the holes kinda closed so now I can't wear those

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i took one of those anonymous culture / engagement surveys they have at workplaces sometimes to idk do vague business things

i got a 46/100

poo
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Will, it is exhausting to read you go on about "kids these days" circa 1969 as though the entire counterculture movement of the time including the anti-war, environmentalism, and civil rights groups can be successfully reduced to 'lol hippies'.

man.

the boomers of the hippie movement were the blurst

they agitated for power to be redirected when they didn't have it. screamed and shouted and marched and demanded.

but then when they achieved power, they gave us reaganomics

pulled that ladder right up

but never stopped bloviating about their social conscience and about how they "really made a difference" back in their youth

Hippies weren't the only group in that generation. The conservatives weren't going to let them enact groundbreaking change and they were the ones who gave us Reaganonics, not the hippies.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    i grew up out west - outside santa fe, NM, and the self-congratulatory culture of the white post-hippies there was just odious to me. the big thing is throwing around money in a particular way and showing off your lifestyle.

I would put this in with there being assholes everywhere. And I knew plenty hanging around when I was growing up in the red diaper culture. But I think it's relevant that the very thing you're talking about--throwing around money and showing off the lifestyle--is one of the very things that the hippies were so powerfully critiquing. That some of them failed to absorb the message does not in the end, I think, undermine it.

MrMister on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    if I become a software developer can I show my tattoos

can I get my lip pierced

can I wear jeans and a t shirt

Ugh do not get your lip peirced

*sheds a single tear*

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Some of the ideas in here at the minute are pretty disgusting and I really hope I never start believing in them.
    Feral wrote:
    eqmnqrd.jpg

This is liberalism's endgame! Fairness and equality kept in check by hypersenstivity!!

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I just got an email from my boss. It contained the subject line: "your upcoming travel dates". It might as well have been

To: Brad Pitt
    Subject: Re: contents of the box

I watched that movie the other night.

Christ alive it was traumatic.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    i personally view courtesy and politeness to be democratic and subversive to a hierarchical status system. it's a system in which all people are treated with respect regardless of their economic or social class. i find it empowering that a CEO is viewed as a heel and a cad if he's rude to a caddy or waiter. i like that it's seen as rude when some rich boomer comes rolling into a nice restaurant in his polo because he's too successful and special to follow the rules and he is then made to feel out of place.

Getting away from courtesy and going back to the suit conversation...

I may have mentioned a few times that I take a dim view of dress codes in offices because my experience with them is that they're used as cudgels against junior employees.

They're never enforced against the CEO - after all, who is going to enforce them? But the lower on the food chain you go, the more they are enforced.

In the same way it is equalizing for the CEO to be polite to a waiter, it is insulting to be told that you have to wear slacks and a button down by an executive who rolls into work in a baseball cap and jeans.

i completely agree with this!

i guess i have never worked a job where this was done

then again i have never worked on the west coast

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

can I get my lip pierced

depends very much on where you work, a couple guys I work with have a bunch of tattoos (neck even!) although one of them is like a team lead now so he dresses up a bit but used to just wear like shorts and t-shirts. The last company I worked at was much bigger and I can only remember one person with a tattoo which was just a super boring Euler's Identity on his arm.

>:[

Just focus on more.... hip... I guess languages and stuff and you're more likely to fall in with the business you're looking for is how I've seen it. From places I've worked and interviewed at you could definitely see a different culture depending on what they were doing. Places doing web stuff and big into OSS and ruby and scala (gross) tended to have a much more liberal atmosphere. Like, I was in a big stuffy office with people in suits when I was interviewing with Aon Hewitt and AAA (half of my interview with AAA was going into a cubicle and taken a written test, it was the worst) for doing some weird old database stuff but I remember interviewing with a guy at some other small company I was interviewing with some dude that had a broken chain or something tattooed on his wrist who was like, "so let's talk about MVC".

*nods thoughtfully*

tell me all of your most liberal languages so I can learn them

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    You will be flying out...

no no no no

... March 23rd ...

NO NO NO NO

... returning April 10th ...

NO GOD NO OH GOD NO NO

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I just got an email from my boss. It contained the subject line: "your upcoming travel dates". It might as well have been

It's almost as if your boss found a small imperfection in the clothing you wear that protects you during battle

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    skippy get ur d pierced

Bless your heart.
  • Options

no no no no

... March 23rd ...

NO NO NO NO

NO GOD NO OH GOD NO NO

rage donkey

rage

poo
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

my love for body mod?

I haven't gotten a new tattoo in almost 2 years, I left my earrings out for too long and the holes kinda closed so now I can't wear those

Ah I didn't know you were into piercings and stuff too outside of the ear stuff.

I can't even remember if I wore mine at the last PAX dinner or if I was afraid of the scrutiny and removed it.

I am so weak!

Do you remember if I had it?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    spool32 wrote: »
    @skippydumptruck If you really think you like CS and you will for real stick with this online degree program, then I say go for it. The biggest risk with online degrees is not that no one will take your credentials seriously at the end, it's that the dropout rates are crazy high. So stick with it and you are mostly set!

If you get a degree from a real university, through their online system, you're not really obligated to put "online" on your resume next to the name of the University are you?
    Does this program result in a degree? Is the online degree equivalent to what a normal CS major on campus would receive? Is it going to say "earned online" or anything different on the diploma?

The diploma will say B.S. in Computer Science.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options

can I get my lip pierced

I can't until/unless I work some place more chill : (

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hey guys what do you think about skirts go

• Options

no no no no

... March 23rd ...

NO NO NO NO

NO GOD NO OH GOD NO NO

rage donkey

rage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHX4PWtpKvw

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

I like skirts. In general I feel that they are worn best over the head

iykwim

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

They should be so short they could star in The Hobbit!

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    Hey Skippy, what sort of help does the online course offer? There are a lot of things in comp sci that I needed people to sit down and explain to me and I dunno if people online could replicate that.

I requested info from the school yesterday, I believe part of the stuff they will send will be examples of classes so I can see how they work

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

Skirts are fine

Kilts are not

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    skippy did you look into any of those other program things too that i sent u

my friend is having quite positive experience afterwards

makin codes

poo
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

ugh when are you going back to mucous dystopia?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

I sorta hate tight and short skirts

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Would it be appropriate to just link songs from Chinese Democracy for DK?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

can I get my lip pierced

They are ugly

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    skippy get ur d pierced

the idea of that makes my hands sweat

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

no no no no

... March 23rd ...

NO NO NO NO

NO GOD NO OH GOD NO NO

rage donkey

rage

I tell him already, I will go but I have the following requirements:
    • Nicer hotel
    • We rent an office near the factory to work from with nice internet
    • You stay with us the entire time to experience the full horror (last time he stayed 3 days then was like peace out see y'all suckers in 3 weeks)
    • I am going to submit ludicrous expense reports (this was less demand and more just informing him of what I would do)
    • I return not the 10th but the 8th so I am not walking dead for PAX

We'll see where I get on these demands.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

my love for body mod?

Ah I didn't know you were into piercings and stuff too outside of the ear stuff.

I can't even remember if I wore mine at the last PAX dinner or if I was afraid of the scrutiny and removed it.

I am so weak!

no I did not know

over time I have had my eyebrow pierced twice, my upper ear, and stretched lobes

I have nothing now : (

also I would like an industrial

• Options
    one of my other friends who was a CS major but has just worked apple retail, like, throughout college and up through now, idk why, well, i guess like me he was not super motivated about changing it
    but he had a CS degree from Columbia which is something and was reasonably good at code
    but the apple store did pay him pretty damn well for a retail job and whatnot so that's good

but i'm glad, he just got into a 6 month corporate program at cupertino
    something about proprietary software they're using at retail stores

so that's cool

poo
  • Options

Skirts are great!

As long as they aren't like so short you can't bend over.

Medium skirts... flowy skirts... skirts are great!

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

can I get my lip pierced

depends very much on where you work, a couple guys I work with have a bunch of tattoos (neck even!) although one of them is like a team lead now so he dresses up a bit but used to just wear like shorts and t-shirts. The last company I worked at was much bigger and I can only remember one person with a tattoo which was just a super boring Euler's Identity on his arm.

>:[

Just focus on more.... hip... I guess languages and stuff and you're more likely to fall in with the business you're looking for is how I've seen it. From places I've worked and interviewed at you could definitely see a different culture depending on what they were doing. Places doing web stuff and big into OSS and ruby and scala (gross) tended to have a much more liberal atmosphere. Like, I was in a big stuffy office with people in suits when I was interviewing with Aon Hewitt and AAA (half of my interview with AAA was going into a cubicle and taken a written test, it was the worst) for doing some weird old database stuff but I remember interviewing with a guy at some other small company I was interviewing with some dude that had a broken chain or something tattooed on his wrist who was like, "so let's talk about MVC".

*nods thoughtfully*

tell me all of your most liberal languages so I can learn them

It changes a lot but right now Scala is probably the up and comer, it's sort of like java but trying too hard to be cute. Java is big, ruby is really big, objective C is big if you're interested in mobile development.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    kilts are not ugly

a kilt as made for and by nerds are ugly, but what item of clothing wouldn't be

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

can I get my lip pierced

They are ugly

SiG.. SiG pls...

• Options
    skippy did you look into any of those other program things too that i sent u

my friend is having quite positive experience afterwards

makin codes

yeah so

pros of one of those code boot camps: way faster transition, lots of in-person working with people, networking
    cons: opportunity costs from leaving my job make it more expensive than doing the longer program and keeping my job, no credential at the end

it seems more risky to me

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

Skirts are fine

Kilts are not

Caveat: a formal kilt is swank as hell.

A utilikilt is something that a dude wears when he's desperate to prove that he has nothing to prove.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options

my love for body mod?

I am so weak!

no I did not know

over time I have had my eyebrow pierced twice, my upper ear, and stretched lobes

I have nothing now : (

also I would like an industrial

You're a hedgehog, that's enough.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Skirts are generally pretty cute.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
This discussion has been closed.