As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prison Facts "They" Don't Want You To Know About

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    When I went to the US, I couldn't help being secretly terrified that so many people around me could have guns.

It was just weird to think that anyone could have a gun, and that that was normal.

What exactly is wrong with an armed citizenry?

I barely trust you people with sponges.

Sponges are gross disease magnets that people don't know how to care for properly.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Fyndir wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    When I went to the US, I couldn't help being secretly terrified that so many people around me could have guns.

It was just weird to think that anyone could have a gun, and that that was normal.

What exactly is wrong with an armed citizenry?

I barely trust you people with sponges.

Sponges are gross disease magnets that people don't know how to care for properly.

Much like fyndir

Fun fact, my iPhone corrected fyndir into gunfire

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Whoa, so this weekend just keeps getting crazier and awesomer

I hit up the healthcare marketplace a few weeks back, picked out a pretty decent plan, applied, all that. The insurance company found out that I'm legally Cherokee. I didn't apply for any of the tribal-specific plans, because I wasn't sure if I was Cherokee enough, and I hate wading into that shit. But they found out, checked, I qualified, and they bumped me up to a tribal plan.

I now have zero copays. Like, on anything. "Indefinite hospital stays." Free. "Helicopter rides." Free.

A surgeon can come to my house, operate on me in my living room, and I would pay nothing.

This plan is $37 a month. That's lower than my cellphone bill, and I can get a prosthetic leg for nothing.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ok now this is super important

what kind of prosthetic leg??

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    That sounds great, how come a tribal plan is so low? Do many people pay into it or something, and theres an overall discount?

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Free "Helicopter Rides"
    :winky:

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Man that's pretty nice because helicopter rides are fucking ridiculous.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Liiya wrote: »
    That sounds great, how come a tribal plan is so low?

Because the US government committed genocide on his people and stole their lands.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

6886.jpg

• Options
    Is that a biarticulate hip-knee linkage I see before me?

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »

Because the US government committed genocide on his people and stole their lands.

Well yeah I know that, I was wondering if it was subsidised by the government or if there was an overall plan for a whole tribe that you signed into as a member of the tribe and was discounted. Sounds like the former then?

• Options

Not sure, but so long as I can hollow it out and use it as a flask, I'm ecstatic

• Options

Well yeah I know that, I was wondering if it was subsidised by the government or if there was an overall plan for a whole tribe that you signed into as a member of the tribe and was discounted. Sounds like the former then?

Yeah, it's the former. It's open to members of any tribe, not just mine

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    This might sound dumb so I apologise in advance.

Whenever I hear anyone say they are part native American, it is virtually always Cherokee. Is there a reason for that? Like Cherokees fraternised with colonists more back in the day? Or is it just random chance that those are the people I've spoken to, and there are just as many part-non-Cherokee people in America?

• Options

Yeah, it's the former. It's open to members of any tribe, not just mine

That was what I was wondering, thank you Pooro!

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I just did the Healthcare marketplace and got hosed a bit. Just now leaving my pretty decent military health insurance because I'm 26 now.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    This might sound dumb so I apologise in advance.

Whenever I hear anyone say they are part native American, it is virtually always Cherokee. Is there a reason for that? Like Cherokees fraternised with colonists more back in the day? Or is it just random chance that those are the people I've spoken to, and there are just as many part-non-Cherokee people in America?

Not a dumb question! A very valid one! There are a few factors at play, here.

The biggest is that, unfortunately, a lot people are full of shit. They heard that somewhere down the line in their family tree there's an Indian, so they say they've got Indian blood, and the reason it's so often "Cherokee" is it's one of the very, very few tribes anybody can actually name of the top of their head. People can name Cherokee, Navajo, Iroquis, maybe Sioux or Apache, and that tends to be that. The vast majority of people who say they're Cherokee don't actually have membership in the tribe or a CDIB card (Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood) from the Bureau of Indian Affairs. They like to claim the novelty of Indian ancestry without actually giving a shit about the heritage, or the modern state of the tribe. They are tools.

But even amongst people who aren't full of shit, there's still a preponderance of Cherokees. This is in part because Cherokees tried the hardest out of the American tribes to integrate with the encroaching white society. Modeled their laws after them, created a written alphabet like them, did their best to get along. So there were more marriages between whites and Cherokees than in a lot of other tribes, and that spread the Cherokee blood around a fair bit.

But most people are just tools.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Words to live by.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

I hit up the healthcare marketplace a few weeks back, picked out a pretty decent plan, applied, all that. The insurance company found out that I'm legally Cherokee. I didn't apply for any of the tribal-specific plans, because I wasn't sure if I was Cherokee enough, and I hate wading into that shit. But they found out, checked, I qualified, and they bumped me up to a tribal plan.

I now have zero copays. Like, on anything. "Indefinite hospital stays." Free. "Helicopter rides." Free.

A surgeon can come to my house, operate on me in my living room, and I would pay nothing.

This plan is $37 a month. That's lower than my cellphone bill, and I can get a prosthetic leg for nothing.

aw man my boyfriend is Lakota and we haven't been able to afford his insulin for fuckin MONTHS, he definitely needs to look into this ASAP.

• Options
    edited March 2014

aw man my boyfriend is Lakota and we haven't been able to afford his insulin for fuckin MONTHS, he definitely needs to look into this ASAP.

Definitely, definitely. All prescriptions are free. Preferred brand, non-preferred, name brand, whatever. Get him some fuckin' gold-plated insulin with spinners, son!

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

tynic i want your brain. i need the knowledge inside.

and as i understand it, cherokee was one of the more "civilized" tribes, so back in history some folks who had undeniable native ancestry would lie and claim cherokee heritage, because whatever tribe they were actually from was waging war against the US gov or whatever.

Label on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

Definitely, definitely. All prescriptions are free. Preferred brand, non-preferred, name brand, whatever. Get him some fuckin' gold-plated insulin with spinners, son!

i am gonna make him get on that goddamn website when he gets home

git dat gubmint healfcurr.

• Options
    Label wrote: »

and as i understand it, cherokee was one of the more "civilized" tribes, so back in history some folks who had undeniable native ancestry would lie and claim cherokee heritage, because whatever tribe they were actually from was waging war against the US gov or whatever.

Shit, yeah, that too. Dawes Roll fucked a whoooole lot of shit up.

• Options

think hard about this wish, Label
    do you really need an eidetic recollection of the novelization Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers?

• Options
    I have a daft question too!

I did my last year of history class in school studying "the American West", about how America was settled and about native Americans and the battles and so on, basically a brief study of the first pilgrims came and the effect it had on the land and people.

Is this something that is taught in American schools and if so to what extent?

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

think hard about this wish, Label
    do you really need an eidetic recollection of the novelization Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers?

Yes.

• Options
    I have a daft question too!

I did my last year of history class in school studying "the American West", about how America was settled and about native Americans and the battles and so on, basically a brief study of the first pilgrims came and the effect it had on the land and people.

Is this something that is taught in American schools and if so to what extent?

Varies from school to school, and state to state, and what level you're at.

Younger kids learn about the heroic move west, the "skirmishes" with Indians, and then treaties were signed and everything was great. My particular elementary school had a whole unit where we learned about the tribes native to Colorado, a little bit about their customs and culture, and then we had a presentation for parents and everything where we wore homemade costumes in the styles of various tribes and tell what we learned. Which, a bunch of little white kids in appropriated Indian garb is a little iffy, but Ms. Chan's heart was in the right place. Where things got really dodgy, though, was as we all came into the gymnasium where the presentation was, she wanted us to come running in, doing "war cries" by popping our hands on and off our mouths and going "woo woo woo woo!" I refused, telling her "Any tribes that had war cries did them with just their mouths, I can't make those noises, and I won't do a cheap imitation."

Worth noting that this is third grade. I take my shit seriously.

As you get older, the history gets taught different. The glamour comes off Manifest Destiny, the massacres come out, etc.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    My mother's (great?) grandmother was full - blooded Blackfoot.
    No idea if that makes me anything, and I don't self-identify as native, but it's a little neat note in my genealogy

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    most of the violence is glazed over. americans fought the indians and won, the end. I do remember covering the trail of tears though. around here we focused heavily on the iroquois since this is the area they lived in.

• Options
    Huh, varied then I guess? I think its good that kids in the area get to learn about the tribes in their area, thats pretty neat. Err that does sound a bit dodgy Pooro!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I want to say we spent at least a month on them, since many of their traditions and tribal sites still exist today. ie lacrosse is quite big in this area and I would not be surprised if learning about it in school developed an interest in it

Jars on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I remember learning about battles and smallpox and sweat lodges and vision quests and dudes hanging themselves from trees by hooking gut through their skin or something.

Probably lots of other stuff but needless to say I mostly remember the stuff which sounded horrible to do.

• Options
    A month is good time I think, in a school year, there is an awful lot to cover in history in a whole year.

• Options
    one thing i noticed as a youngster, any time a shitload of American army cavalry or what-have-you swoop in and slaughter a whole village it's called a "battle"

and when some clever native warriors trap a bunch of jumped-up green-horns and kill a shitload of cavalrymen in combat it's a "massacre"

there's a really grotesque skew to everything American school children are taught about Native American history, how we "civilized" them and "brought them into the modern age" and whatnot, how they were "stone age savages" and shit.

also how great life is on the reservations and how we gave them to the natives out of the goodness of our hearts and how any problems they have these days are entirely their own doing.

• Options
    Thats pretty depressing, Metz, the way things get skewed.

Not that we're any better, we all know the UKs got a shitty past and I remember my teacher being frank about it, but its not gone into in much detail.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    A month is good time I think, in a school year, there is an awful lot to cover in history in a whole year.

We only have 250ish years of history to cover. I've always wondered how history is taught in the UK and other countries with longer histories than ours. Whether you end up taking more classes to fit it all in, or if the topics are compressed to cover more time within a single class.

Sticks on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I dunno, we had a couple of pretty frank classes on European settlers' dealing with natives.
    Of course, my history teacher was a guy who loved to subvert "traditional" teaching. Like them time we were talking about the stripping away powers from the Bill of Rights. But don't worry, you're not losing your rights now. You lost them years ago!

• Options
    Sticks wrote: »

We only have 250ish years of history to cover. I've always wondered how history is taught in the UK and other countries with longer histories than ours. Whether you end up taking more classes to fit it all in, or if the topics are compressed to cover more time within a single class.

Hmm yeah thats true, you do have much less.

I think it varies from school to school. In primary school (age 11 and under) I learned about the Victorians, Romans, Egyptians, Elizabethan age, WW2. And the in comprehensive school (11-16) each year term we specialised. So America West was one, medicine through time, WW2 AGAIN, multicultural Britain (how we are made of a nation of immigration), bronze age, medieval. It was pretty well covered.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    My dad's family thought they were part Native American, so he recently had a DNA profile done and as he expected, he's northern European through and through. Still some holdouts that aren't convinced yet. My mom's side can be traced back to the Mayflower though, which is kinda cool in a, "We were exploiting this country before it became cool," way.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    one thing i noticed as a youngster, any time a shitload of American army cavalry or what-have-you swoop in and slaughter a whole village it's called a "battle"

and when some clever native warriors trap a bunch of jumped-up green-horns and kill a shitload of cavalrymen in combat it's a "massacre"

there's a really grotesque skew to everything American school children are taught about Native American history, how we "civilized" them and "brought them into the modern age" and whatnot, how they were "stone age savages" and shit.

also how great life is on the reservations and how we gave them to the natives out of the goodness of our hearts and how any problems they have these days are entirely their own doing.

See:Wounded Knee