Options

Prison Facts "They" Don't Want You To Know About

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I know this thread became about something else but what exactly was the snake oil the guy in the OP was selling?

Oil.

From snakes.

It's spicier than olive oil but with half the fat!

Fun fact: if you are bitten by a snake, trying to suck the poison out will do absolutely nothing.

Snakes inject venom, not poison. They are different things.

It's pedantic of me but people not knowing the difference between "venomous" and "poisonous" is almost as frustrating as there, their and they're mistakes to me.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I know this thread became about something else but what exactly was the snake oil the guy in the OP was selling?

Oil.

From snakes.

Fun fact: if you are bitten by a snake, trying to suck the poison out will do absolutely nothing.

By definition if you suck poison out of anything, you end up, well... poisoned.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I try not to be a dick about it though

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

Oil.

From snakes.

By definition if you suck poison out of anything, you end up, well... poisoned.

That's one important distinction, yes.

However you can drink venom for the most part with no ill effects. Just make sure you don't have a bleeding ulcer or a mouth full of cuts.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Jesus, that's awful. I hope she's doing ok now.

Although it seems like he deserves it here, solitary confinement is terrible.

Solitary Watch
    is an interesting (and somewhat depressing) site. I didn't know that prisoners in solitary confinement are not allowed to hold or touch their loved ones. Or that the ceiling light is kept on 24 hours per day.

A lot of these rules seem like cruelty for cruelty's sake.

But how will you turn a criminal into a useful and productive member of society except by torturing and dehumanizing them? You have a better idea?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You can fail to steal money and get a higher sentence than you can for crashing the entire stock market. Which is fun.

My "favorite" justice system flaw is the sentencing disparity between regular cocaine and crack cocaine. It's so blatantly, egregiously targeting minorities and poor people, and has literally zero logic for existing, yet it will never be corrected because getting drug penalties lessened would be seen as "weak on drugs," and we can't have that now can we

I mean, it's not perfect, because our drug policy is bonkers, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Sentencing_Act

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The Fair Sentencing Act still has a disparity. It's just a fifth as much as before.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    You can fail to steal money and get a higher sentence than you can for crashing the entire stock market. Which is fun.

My "favorite" justice system flaw is the sentencing disparity between regular cocaine and crack cocaine. It's so blatantly, egregiously targeting minorities and poor people, and has literally zero logic for existing, yet it will never be corrected because getting drug penalties lessened would be seen as "weak on drugs," and we can't have that now can we

weed is being decriminalized at a pretty breakneck pace

and anti-marijuana laws oringally existed to target emxican migrant workers and african-americans druing the harlem renaissance

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    apologies for the daily mail link (shit rag) but

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2580828/Could-soon-create-hell-EARTH-Biotechnology-let-extend-criminals-lives-makes-suffering-HUNDREDS-years.html

technology that could save the human race? let's use it for cruel and unusual torture

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I thought that was going to be a bunch of mis-quoted scientists. That it was going to be the Mail taking a few statements on possible applications and running with it.

From the sounds of it I'm depressingly wrong and there are actual, reasonably smart people who think there's anything acceptable about using the cutting edge of technology to torture prisoners.

Well now I'm depressed.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    apologies for the daily mail link (shit rag) but

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2580828/Could-soon-create-hell-EARTH-Biotechnology-let-extend-criminals-lives-makes-suffering-HUNDREDS-years.html

technology that could save the human race? let's use it for cruel and unusual torture

Oh daily mail. Never change.

• Options
    No wait I wrote that wrong. I meant oh daily mail I hope your offices burn to the ground and the ground opens up to a sinkhole and you fall into the deepest pits of Hades

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

and anti-marijuana laws oringally existed to target emxican migrant workers and african-americans druing the harlem renaissance

right now white people are profiting off of legalized weed and the(mainly) minorities arrested for it are still imprisoned

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    when my boyfriend and i were busted for misdemeanor possession/paraphernalia, he spent the night in jail and i got to go home.

guess what my boyfriend looks like.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    when my boyfriend and i were busted for misdemeanor possession/paraphernalia, he spent the night in jail and i got to go home.

He's white with short hair and wearing a business suit?

No?

Oh.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    way too much underestimation of the social powers of the white man here

we don't need to wear business suits to get out of jail anymore

i am happy to hold a seminar to update your white man knowledge

for profit

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

No?

Oh.

he's a big tall half black half Lakota dude with a frizzy afro.

the arresting officer called him "bro"

and called me by my name. Mr. Leander, in fact.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

No?

Oh.

he's a big tall half black half Lakota dude with a frizzy afro.

the arresting officer called him "bro"

and called me by my name. Mr. Leander, in fact.

It's bullshit is what I'm sarcastically implying

• Options
    and you'd be absolutely correct!

the marijuana class i'm attending recently had a black girl graduate from it, and she's the only person of color in the class, AND COINCIDENTALLY THE ONLY PERSON TO HAVE GONE TO JAIL.

HMMMMMMMMMM

• Options
    and you'd be absolutely correct!

the marijuana class i'm attending recently had a black girl graduate from it, and she's the only person of color in the class, AND COINCIDENTALLY THE ONLY PERSON TO HAVE GONE TO JAIL.

HMMMMMMMMMM

Was it for...MURDER!!!!????

• Options
    edited March 2014
    only thing killer about that girl was dat boooottttyyyyyyyy

edit: seriously though, holy butts she was hot.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Marijuana class? Your school sounds cooool.

• Options
    Where'd ya learn that, Cheech

Drug school?!

(Super Troopers is the most quotable movie ever)

• Options
    Marijuana class? Your school sounds cooool.

man it's SOOOO BADDDDD dude.

like, it's all these shitty after-school special videos from fuckin 1992, so everyone has a goddamn mullet, and then it's all this paperwork that's like LIST THE REASONS WHY YOU'RE A DRUG-ADDICTED PIECE OF SHIT

but i'm all done on april 12th! my time under the thumb of THE MAN will soon be at an end!

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Drugs are bad

Pistol Penguin says be cool stay in school

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

right now white people are profiting off of legalized weed and the(mainly) minorities arrested for it are still imprisoned

and they will no longer go to jail for it?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    In the past it was illegal, and they broke the law, so they still have to serve even if it is now legal.

If the opposite was true and it was just made illegal we wouldn't go around rounding up all the people who used to do it legally.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    In the past it was illegal, and they broke the law, so they still have to serve even if it is now legal.

If the opposite was true and it was just made illegal we wouldn't go around rounding up all the people who used to do it legally.

ex-post facto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex-post_facto

• Options
    Wait, are people thinking that because marijuana has been legalized in certain ways in certain states that people arrested and convicted of crimes before the changes were made would have just been let out? Is that a thing a rational person thought?

I can understand arguments about how penalties didn't fit the crime or a call for reduction of sentences, but not just "oh well teh weedz iz leegul now kk bye". That's not how law works.

Please tell me I'm just missing something because I'm on a small mobile phone screen and high off breathing the emissions from all the plastic compounding I'm doing.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    No I'm pretty sure there really were a legitimate number of people out there who believed that's how that was gonna play out.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Ex-post facto laws can not be passed in the US, so yeah anybody in jail on a marijuana offense is going to finish their sentence, which sucks for them but there's no way setting them all free is going to happen

• Options
    Ex-post facto I think only applies with respect to laws overturned for being unconstitutional.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Ex-post facto I think only applies with respect to laws overturned for being unconstitutional.

no

no it does not

it's part of the constitution and was established before the concept of judicial review even existed

• Options
    Wait so if you're jailed for breaking a law that's later rules unconstitutional you're not let out of jail?

• Options
    Wait so if you're jailed for breaking a law that's later rules unconstitutional you're not let out of jail?

that is not ex-post facto

that's a completely different thing

but yes your sentence is commuted in that case

• Options
    edited March 2014

Ex-post facto laws are unconstitutional, even if they're a repeal of a prior law

This is actually intended to be a protection for the people, believe it or not; this way you can't do something that's legal, have it declared illegal the next day and go to jail for it

joshofalltrades on
  • Options

that is not ex-post facto

that's a completely different thing

but yes your sentence is commuted in that case

Okay yeah that makes sense on both counts.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I moved to America recently

One of my new friends got done for weed while he was still a minor

It didn't ruin his life or anything but I can only imagine how terrifying that would be

it blew my mind a little bit. I don't know anyone that's gotten into legal trouble for weed back in Australia. I was like hello war on drugs, how you doing.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options

Ex-post facto laws are unconstitutional, even if they're a repeal of a prior law

This is actually intended to be a protection for the people, believe it or not; this way you can't do something that's legal, have it declared illegal the next day and go to jail for it

you are mistaken

legally, unconstitutional laws never existed, kinda

so you couldn't have actually broken one

• Options

you are mistaken

legally, unconstitutional laws never existed, kinda

so you couldn't have actually broken one

I hope you know what I meant here

Ex-post facto laws can't get passed because they're unconstitutional

By "repeal of a prior law", I meant you can't retroactively make all the people who have followed the law into criminals, nor does repealing a law make a bunch of people innocent ex-post facto