Options

Prison Facts "They" Don't Want You To Know About

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    While the brain's jacked in, living the life it always wanted, the body atrophies and becomes useless, and since you WANT to do those amazing things, you plug yourself back in and continue the cycle...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Every human being having the opportunity for millenia of learning and reflection... sounds cool.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    If this technology ever becomes possible, a greater punishment would be to be forbidden to use it, and forced to clean the nutrient/waste tubes of the rest of us.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I just can't imagine what 4chan would look like if all of those animals had a millenia to work on it. That's me being cynical but ick.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Real life "Robo Cops" coming to South Florida
    A robot that stands 6 feet tall and weighs 75 pounds.

The police officer of the future has been built inside the Discovery Lab at Florida International University in Miami.

FIU Researcher Mangai Prabakaro said, "So far the reaction has been great."

Operators control the robot remotely by wearing a suit covered with sensors. Every move is mimicked by the robot in the real world.

"They have speakers so the operator can speak to the citizen," said Mangai.

Using a wireless connection the operator can see what the robot is seeing on the streets through cameras in the robot's eyes. The nose is a sonar sensor, it knows how close something is, and the cameras in the eyes adjust accordingly just like real eyes would focus in on something up close.

Researchers say this robot would work best downtown in a city, writing tickets, giving directions, and directing traffic. It could also record surveillance video that could help solve crimes and protect itself.

@tynic

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Couldn't they just

Have the dude controlling it do those things?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Well sure, the endgame would be having it be a viable option in combat situations. But y'know, being relatable to people and processing evidence quickly would be pretty useful even in high stress stuff.

It's also a way nicer version of Robocop than the one we usually see!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    the 25 feet rule has always been bullshit

I mean you can't smoke on the sidewalk in most of the city

I will also say that since legalization, drug dealers have gotten way more polite

now when I turn them down, they tell me to have a nice day instead of to go fuck myself

yeah

Just

arghghghg the busy street corner next to the QFC entrance is not the best place to meet your buddies and smoke a joint no get that shit out of here
    my school just started enforcing a campus wide tobacco smoking ban (it's Santa Cruz, btw, so pot smoking it technically also not okay but frrrrrrrrrrrrrrt)

all I can think about it is how shitty it's gonna be for the heavier smokers

like, smoking is bad for you and all that

but that rule ain't really designed to benefit the smokers
    Yeah I gotta say I don't care about the plight of smokers. If you don't like other people not wanting to be around your disgusting shit, quit smoking.

even though there were already clearly marked areas for smokers

that you don't have to walk anywhere near to get to places on campus

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    imho what a fucking shitty attitude to have in regards to someone's addiction

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    It's hard for me to feel bad for anyone who's my age and smokes, though

It's not exactly a secret that it's nasty shit

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Real life "Robo Cops" coming to South Florida
    A robot that stands 6 feet tall and weighs 75 pounds.

The police officer of the future has been built inside the Discovery Lab at Florida International University in Miami.

FIU Researcher Mangai Prabakaro said, "So far the reaction has been great."

Operators control the robot remotely by wearing a suit covered with sensors. Every move is mimicked by the robot in the real world.

"They have speakers so the operator can speak to the citizen," said Mangai.

Using a wireless connection the operator can see what the robot is seeing on the streets through cameras in the robot's eyes. The nose is a sonar sensor, it knows how close something is, and the cameras in the eyes adjust accordingly just like real eyes would focus in on something up close.

Researchers say this robot would work best downtown in a city, writing tickets, giving directions, and directing traffic. It could also record surveillance video that could help solve crimes and protect itself.

@tynic

PEOPLE_DIE_IF_THEY_ARE_KILLED.jpg

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    woops, that was meant for bluedude

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2014
    Couldn't they just

The guy who donated the chunk of money that funded the research is a disabled war vet, he intended it to be a tool to keep people like him with police skills on the street in some way. Whether that's a cost effective way, well.

I think the image on the right below is the current status of the robot, the others are concept sketches. It looks ok. Seems to be a wheeler, actually.
    tbot1.jpg

There's a lot of safety concerns if it's gonna be interacting with citizens, I'd say we're a long way from seeing unfettered deployment. But honestly it's better than a lot of the urban bots people are pushing lately.

tynic on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I don't like buff robots, I want a robot I could subdue with my bare hands.

You know, if it came to that.

For the good of the city.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I shot that robot on Binary Domain

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    While the brain's jacked in, living the life it always wanted, the body atrophies and becomes useless, and since you WANT to do those amazing things, you plug yourself back in and continue the cycle...

If we're at the point where we can control the brain and trick it into a virtual environment surely we could do the same with our bodies and just have them treadmilling or whatever while we eat virtual ice cream.

Really any sort of tech that approaches the matrix just mucks with every single bit of society so bad.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I shot that robot on Binary Domain

No no hes one of the reformatted maximals.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Couldn't they just

The guy who donated the chunk of money that funded the research is a disabled war vet, he intended it to be a tool to keep people like him with police skills on the street in some way. Whether that's a cost effective way, well.

I think the image on the right below is the current status of the robot, the others are concept sketches. It looks ok. Seems to be a wheeler, actually.
    tbot1.jpg

There's a lot of safety concerns if it's gonna be interacting with citizens, I'd say we're a long way from seeing unfettered deployment. But honestly it's better than a lot of the urban bots people are pushing lately.

What's the point of making it two wheeled there? Surely a tri or quad set up will be much more stable?

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    It annoys me when video game robots have heads that you can headshot.

If you're making a battle robot that has to be human shaped for some reason, why not put the vital components in the chest where there's more armour, or partway down an arm where nobody will think to shoot?

broken image link
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Because headshots are cooler

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yep, rule of cool usually.

It'd be nice if a game subverted it though.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Borderlands 2 went for robots with weak spots at the joints and eyes.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The husks in ME2 had their weak spot in their crotch.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    it'd be pretty fun to have a video game where you have a robot running at you and you pull off a headshot but then it just keeps running

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The husks in ME2 had their weak spot in their crotch.

Like Nature intended

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    If your addiction involves emitting dangerous quantities of airborne carcinogens and other toxins, I think it's entirely reasonable to ask you not to indulge anywhere near me.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ha, this was in the related videos at the end of that Simpsons clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=s_6Tz6EqKSk

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    If your addiction involves emitting dangerous quantities of airborne carcinogens and other toxins, I think it's entirely reasonable to ask you not to indulge anywhere near me.

.....................................except the entire point was that the smoking areas were already nowhere near where anyone needs to go

and then you piped in saying you didn't give a shit they now had nowhere to go at all

so essentially your attitude re: people who've got a problem that has no effect on you whatsoever is, fuck them

awesome

awesome

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

.....................................except the entire point was that the smoking areas were already nowhere near where anyone needs to go

and then you piped in saying you didn't give a shit they now had nowhere to go at all

so essentially your attitude re: people who've got a problem that has no effect on you whatsoever is, fuck them

awesome

awesome

We were talking about the 25' rule? The problem is, it's still too close. I need to cross the street too you know, plus I can smell that shit when the wind blows and god knows how many carcinogens I'm inhaling just by being downwind. So if Santa Cruz wants to ban all smoking on campus, that's fine by me.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

awesome

awesome

We were talking about the 25' rule? The problem is, it's still too close. I need to cross the street too you know, plus I can smell that shit when the wind blows and god knows how many carcinogens I'm inhaling just by being downwind. So if Santa Cruz wants to ban all smoking on campus, that's fine by me.

who's this "we"

you are not involved in this exchange

• Options
    "We" as in the participants of this forum.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    please point at where the 25' rule is mentioned
    my school just started enforcing a campus wide tobacco smoking ban (it's Santa Cruz, btw, so pot smoking it technically also not okay but frrrrrrrrrrrrrrt)

all I can think about it is how shitty it's gonna be for the heavier smokers

like, smoking is bad for you and all that

but that rule ain't really designed to benefit the smokers

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2014

awesome

awesome

who's this "we"

you are not involved in this exchange

Private messages are a feature this forum has! If you're not using them you should assume other people can join in on the conversation.

A duck! on
  • Options
    please point at where the 25' rule is mentioned
    the 25 feet rule has always been bullshit

I mean you can't smoke on the sidewalk in most of the city

I will also say that since legalization, drug dealers have gotten way more polite

now when I turn them down, they tell me to have a nice day instead of to go fuck myself

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Everybody should just chill out a little bit

Cease hostilities and such

Smoke ain't nothing to get mad about on an internet forum

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Everyone knows it's all about the 121 foot rule
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_6bmrqIsP8

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    Everyone knows it's all about the 121 foot rule
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_6bmrqIsP8

That guy in the preview image just walked through a mutton chops cloud before the video

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    My campus has a smoking ban. All that really happened is that fewer people smoke on campus and those who do make sure they do so in ways that no one notices by being really far out of the way or rather discreet.

Which honestly I think is a pretty solid success rate. If folks need to smoke they can, but especially at public universities it seems like a fairly reasonable expectation to ban (limit) smoking given the documented risks involved to public health safety and welfare.

I don't really agree with private bans upon places like restaurants. Florida has a total ban in place: either you can serve food or have smoking essentially. Bars can have smokers but restaurants can't, which seems rather a silly way to do things. It would make more sense just to tax smoking restaurants a considerable amount so those that want to cater to the smoking minority population can continue to do so as their niche while the majority of restaurants choose not to for economic reasons.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I love that video so much. I honestly wasn't sure if it was serious or not till the very end the first time I watched it.

X22wmuF.jpg