As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THEY TOOK OUR JERB thread so here is the new one. [Job Thread]

19495969798100»

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    anything under 20C is basically a polar hellscape

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    MadEddy wrote: »
    70 is barely not jacket weather, though.

There's also probably some biology to it.

To me (does conversion math) 33 F is T shirt weather. So that probably contributes too.

El Skid on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    anything under -20C is basically a polar heavenscape

broken image link
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    this is tangentially related both to jobs and polar hellscapes

i was an extra in an optus commercial today

the premise of the commercial, from what i could deduce, is that optus' new mobile phone plan is so flexible it has granted australian comedian josh thomas the power to literally do anything

but instead of curing aids or solving world hunger or fixing the budget he elects to transport all his friends to the south pole and leave them there to die

so i got up at six in the morning to spend most of the day standing in a big pile of fake snow pretending to shiver and cursing josh thomas' name under my breath

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Job thread nooooo.....

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The principal at my new job/career mentioned I should come visit the library sometime before school gets out for summer so tomorrow I'm going to go hang out down there in the morning and get a feel for the place. Slightly nervous.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    does anyone do css script programming that would be ok helping me do a small or at least hopefully small project that I have no idea how to do? it involves making a content block cycle the text in the box so that I can have different faculty spotlights pop up each time the student loads the page.

I have no idea how to code and our school just fired our programmers so it's like

not the best time

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    does anyone do css script programming that would be ok helping me do a small or at least hopefully small project that I have no idea how to do? it involves making a content block cycle the text in the box so that I can have different faculty spotlights pop up each time the student loads the page.

I have no idea how to code and our school just fired our programmers so it's like

not the best time

Your request in the programming thread seems to have done the job - Yay Rend!

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    quick dan it's 6

nothing yet

I did get my new glasses in though from Warby Parker!

I poop out some photos on Instagrizzle in a bit

@Abracadaniel‌ DUDE BRO

Why have you not posted anything about your glorious offer yet?

I've been on the edge of my seat since yesterday.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    quick dan it's 6

nothing yet

@Abracadaniel‌ DUDE BRO

Ironing out the details of how current company will be billed at a discount rate during the transition to make things smoother. I think at this point new jerb has all the info they need from me, they're just putting it into a formal offer/contract/whatever.

• Options
    quick dan it's 6

nothing yet

@Abracadaniel‌ DUDE BRO

Ironing out the details of how current company will be billed at a discount rate during the transition to make things smoother. I think at this point new jerb has all the info they need from me, they're just putting it into a formal offer/contract/whatever.
    TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    OF
    ABRACADANIEL'S MOVE TO [COMPANY]

1. Discounts to Current Company. Current company will be billed at a rate of 150% over current billing rate when Abracadaniel does your shitty work. Because fuck you, that's why.

I don't see why this is difficult.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Hahaha, that'd be nice.

Idiot Son was complaining to my boss on the phone earlier.

Complained that I didn't get people phones when I said I would

I don't order company phones, I don't have access to our company phone plan on that level, all I do is set them up

Complained that I didn't order someone a laptop when I said I would

The laptop was ordered and arrived and was configured. At the same time it showed up, another employee's laptop (running Windows XP) was on it's last legs, so I asked Idiot Son via email if it would be alright to give the employee that laptop while they were here onsite to migrate their files to the new laptop (they're a very old person and not tech savvy at all). He replied with 'I guess' and a replacement laptop was ordered for the original laptop recipient, arrived yesteday, was configured and issued to the first employee.

He also claims that the only compatible lightning cable that can charge your phone is the one it came with, and no others will work and therefore he is buying a new phone.

• Options
    TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    OF

1. Discounts to Current Company. Current company will be billed at a rate of 150% over current billing rate when Abracadaniel does your shitty work. Because fuck you, that's why.

2. Idiot Son. Idiot son will henceforth and in perpetuity be barred from communicating with Abracadaniel directly or indirectly in any form, including, but not limited to verbal, e-mail, and text. Violation of this provision will result in automatic termination of any and all consulting agreements between the parties and liquidated damages no less than 300% of Current Company's annualized revenue for the previous year.

I updated your contract. You're welcome.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    OF

2. Idiot Son. Idiot son will henceforth and in perpetuity be barred from communicating with Abracadaniel directly or indirectly in any form, including, but not limited to verbal, e-mail, and text. Violation of this provision will result in automatic termination of any and all consulting agreements between the parties and liquidated damages no less than 300% of Current Company's annualized revenue for the previous year.

I updated your contract. You're welcome.

Lawyer crits your pockets for 500,000 infinity dollars
    Also kicks you in the jibbly-joos
    SUPER EFFECTIVE!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Today I am doing maths to make sure we can move this 135k lb hunk of steel safely

And by move I mean flip it end over end

I love my job

Is it weird that I want to see this math?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Hey job thread, hi. My school district has a new opening for an account clerk typist. I took the test that qualifies me for this apparently. It's a position in the district office and it would be about a 20% pay raise (before taxes). I'm nervous about even applying.

Pros
    -The aforementioned ~20% pay raise (9k more per year)
    -The building is right next door to the one I currently work at, so it's still a 10 minute walk from my house
    -Less kids. I would probably not deal with kids at all, which is kinda good.
    -More stable hours. There's been some fluctuation in my hours since I started. I went from 8-3:30 to 8:30-4 and some days 9-4:30. I would be 8-4 with an hour and a half for lunch I think.

Cons
    -The people at the district office tend to be a bit unpleasant, at least according to one of the ladies in my current office who worked there for some time.
    -The work would be more intense and there would be more pressure (some days it feels like I'm getting paid to do almost nothing in my current position).
    -I would be working with numbers and math, which I can do capably, but it's money related and that kind of scares me.
    -The people at the school sort of spoiled us at Christmas time with a boat load of presents. I was so overwhelmed by that. That would almost totally go away. Along with the people, whom I would also miss.

I'm sure there's more to it then that but for now I just wanted to get that all written. I might not even get offered the position even if I apply. As of now there are 5 people including me qualified for this within the district and 2 have already said they aren't putting in. Also I think being the lowest pay step in the district without having to hire from the outside is a plus in my favor for getting picked.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    -The people at the district office tend to be a bit unpleasant, at least according to one of the ladies in my current office who worked there for some time.
    Schools districts are incredibly cliquey I would take this information with a grain of salt.
    -The work would be more intense and there would be more pressure (some days it feels like I'm getting paid to do almost nothing in my current position).
    No one is going to die if you go at a comfortable pace.
    -I would be working with numbers and math, which I can do capably, but it's money related and that kind of scares me.
    No one is going to die if you mess up.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Hey job thread, hi. My school district has a new opening for an account clerk typist. I took the test that qualifies me for this apparently. It's a position in the district office and it would be about a 20% pay raise (before taxes). I'm nervous about even applying.

Pros
    -The aforementioned ~20% pay raise (9k more per year)
    -The building is right next door to the one I currently work at, so it's still a 10 minute walk from my house
    -Less kids. I would probably not deal with kids at all, which is kinda good.
    -More stable hours. There's been some fluctuation in my hours since I started. I went from 8-3:30 to 8:30-4 and some days 9-4:30. I would be 8-4 with an hour and a half for lunch I think.

Cons
    -The people at the school sort of spoiled us at Christmas time with a boat load of presents. I was so overwhelmed by that. That would almost totally go away. Along with the people, whom I would also miss.

I'm sure there's more to it then that but for now I just wanted to get that all written. I might not even get offered the position even if I apply. As of now there are 5 people including me qualified for this within the district and 2 have already said they aren't putting in. Also I think being the lowest pay step in the district without having to hire from the outside is a plus in my favor for getting picked.

The difference between a gross of 45k and 54k is pretty significant on the "quality of lifestyle" chart. Those cons don't sound like nearly enough to balance that one thing out, much less the other stuff.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hahaha, that'd be nice.

Idiot Son was complaining to my boss on the phone earlier.

Complained that I didn't get people phones when I said I would

I don't order company phones, I don't have access to our company phone plan on that level, all I do is set them up

Complained that I didn't order someone a laptop when I said I would

The laptop was ordered and arrived and was configured. At the same time it showed up, another employee's laptop (running Windows XP) was on it's last legs, so I asked Idiot Son via email if it would be alright to give the employee that laptop while they were here onsite to migrate their files to the new laptop (they're a very old person and not tech savvy at all). He replied with 'I guess' and a replacement laptop was ordered for the original laptop recipient, arrived yesteday, was configured and issued to the first employee.

He also claims that the only compatible lightning cable that can charge your phone is the one it came with, and no others will work and therefore he is buying a new phone.

is there any way you can leave a coded warning to the poor sucker they find who will attempt to replace you

maybe a treasure map or something. Except instead of treasure it's just a sign saying "flee, now!"

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

1) The day will go faster. That's not such a bad thing.
    2) You'll be fine
    3) Stay in touch with those people, go out to lunch with them or something (this could also help with the concerns about not liking your new coworkers). Then Christmas rolls around and they're like "Goose is so sweet, staying in touch. Let's keep him in the gift exchange."

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Apparently some rags caught fire near the HVAC input. Smoke filled the building, the fire department was called, and now my office stinks. Fun times.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.