As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Risen from a 60 million year slumber, the SE++ [Warhammer 40000] thread

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I've always wished that the tabletop would get a robust video game implementation, because I love the gameplay and the lore but I can't really be fussed to paint all the minis and stand around a game store all day on a weekend

I assume GW would never do that because they're afraid to bite tabletop sales, though

really what I want is a full conversion of necromunda, which I feel like should be easy because come on x-com is right fucking there just make it already

ed: although huh, they're making a mordheim conversion eh? Guess we'll see what form it ultimately takes

Combine Dawn of War with Magic The Gathering Online.

You purchase your units through micro-transactions and paint them with a character creator similar to the Space Marine Multiplayer which then exports your army into maps built in the DOW engine and calculates defense stats and such on the fly.

I'm saying, right? It seems so obvious

although I don't really like RTS games; turned based 40k or gtfo

I liked the idea of nesting Warhammer game promos into the physical product. Buy a box of marines? Get ingame items! Buy a box of nids? Get boosts! Buy a book? Get a character from it as an in-game unlockable!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I've always wished that the tabletop would get a robust video game implementation, because I love the gameplay and the lore but I can't really be fussed to paint all the minis and stand around a game store all day on a weekend

I assume GW would never do that because they're afraid to bite tabletop sales, though

really what I want is a full conversion of necromunda, which I feel like should be easy because come on x-com is right fucking there just make it already

ed: although huh, they're making a mordheim conversion eh? Guess we'll see what form it ultimately takes

You purchase your units through micro-transactions and paint them with a character creator similar to the Space Marine Multiplayer which then exports your army into maps built in the DOW engine and calculates defense stats and such on the fly.

I liked the idea of nesting Warhammer game promos into the physical product. Buy a box of marines? Get ingame items! Buy a box of nids? Get boosts! Buy a book? Get a character from it as an in-game unlockable!

that's actually a really cool idea.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

If they did the book idea...I already would have a kill squad of heroes.
    Ciaphas Cain and his various supporting cast from the entire series
    Hyperion
    Eisenhorn
    Ravenour
    Bequin

For Chaos...oh man. The entire Night Lords kill squad

Then Heresy...oh man just a squad of Luna Wolves heroes, Bjorn (pre-dreadnaught), primarchs, and Traitor champions.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    It was part of a thought experiment I did a while ago. I plotted out my ideal 40k online game in detail.

Some highlights:
    - MMORTS
    - Map was set up as an entire sector of space. Each system had multiple planets, and each planet was a server.
    - Planets are subdivided on a hex grid. Each hex is a different area of territory to conquer. Some have bonuses based on tech or landmark.
    - You can attack nearby hexes at a rate of 1 per 30min per army.
    - you start with 1 army built from a selection of units. You get more as your territory grows.
    - if you're not online to defend when someone attacks your territory, or you opt not to, an AI with upgradable difficulty does it for you (Called the General, Nob, ect)
    - You have a leader character that you build from the ground up (Warlord, Warboss, ect.). You can customize and make new weapons for them by taking trophies from enemy Second AI or winning vs a living opponent.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I had an idea for a hybrid RTS-FPS. Most people would be grunts, i.e. guardsmen, gaunts, boyz, etc. Some people (promotions, but mostly buyers of the Privileged Edition) are commanders and issue orders in combat. Why would anyone follow those orders? Because there are Commissars, Nobs, Warriors, etc. who shoot you if you stray too far from the waypoint. And if you die, you lose all your gear and have to either loot your corpse before your team reappropriates it or re-earn it through combat. Maybe I'll be nice and let the players keep his perks, but definitively not his rank!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Commanders would issue orders either from an abstracted RTS POV, in the case of Guards and Tyranids, or Brutal Legend style for factions with badass commanders, like Orks and Space Marines. Also, SM wouldn't have order-enforcing units. Maybe make the faction something you earn and can be barred from.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Maybe the real good players in the IG faction get the option of upgrading to the SM faction. Ensuring that Space Marines are elite killing machines. An entire faction populated by those assholes who always at the top of the kill charts.

But, that would never happen. Just like everyone in Star Wars MMOs being able to be a jedi, everyone in any 40k MMO style game will be able to be a space marine.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Maybe the real good players in the IG faction get the option of upgrading to the SM faction. Ensuring that Space Marines are elite killing machines. An entire faction populated by those assholes who always at the top of the kill charts.

But, that would never happen. Just like everyone in Star Wars MMOs being able to be a jedi, everyone in any 40k MMO style game will be able to be a space marine.

Actually.... in the upcoming 40K mmo, free players are going to be Ork Boyz and those that subscribe get to be Nobs/Marines (Loyal/Chaos)/Eldar.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Day Z + Necromunda.

The more I think about it the more perfect it seems.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Subscribers getting special characters seemed like a bad idea at first, but it sounds good now that I think about it. Hopefully what it will mean is asymmetric sides that work. But if it works then that will be awesome.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    It also makes great sense. I mean, you have these large mobs of unruly players slinging insults at each other and beating the crap out of each other for shiny bitz, undisciplined horde that goes where ever...

The way they've been describing it is kinda like Rifts with battlefield alliances during a Tyranid raid, but it's mostly pvpvpvp.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    One ten man squad of Valhallans. I can paint one ten man squad. Right?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Yes, of course you can. The Emperor believes in you.
    Thin your paiiints

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    It would be hilariously divisive if they came out with Warhammer 40K Arena and then had unlockable characters for it, so you could finally know if Ibram Gaunt could kill Eisenhorn.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    It would be hilariously divisive if they came out with Warhammer 40K Arena and then had unlockable characters for it, so you could finally know if Ibram Gaunt could kill Eisenhorn.

Gaunt vs. Cain

Kaldor Draigo Vs. Eisenhorn

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Angron vs. an industrial slaughter house. Winner is whoever kills the most things in an hour.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Gaunt vs. Cain

I think Horus is a better match for Ciaphas Cain. I mean, we all know that Cain can't die if he's the one telling the story, right? So put him up against the greatest warrior who ever lived.

Of course, Horus's enhanced olfactory senses would probably be a hindrance against Jurgen (what, do you think that Cain would fight anybody by himself?.

• Options
    Oh man...getting near the end of the book Pariah.
    Love DA's depiction of the Traitor Marines. But the biggest OH SHITS moment was when they reveal DeathRow's identity. One of Eisenhorn's people he hired took the role of Deathrow. After fending off Teke, his face mask is destroyed. Bequin asks him "who are you?" and he answers in a way that is more telling than a Marine in the Horus Heresy saying "I can not say"

"...I am Alpharius"

Alpha Legion is one of my favorite Traitor Legions so this was a bit of a squee moment. Mostly because in HH there has only been one AL story and a few side stories

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I can't wait for the next book in that series. Eisenhorn and the Night Lords books are some of my favourite books.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I actually really don't like the Eisenhorn books very much - they just come off as kinda checking boxes

The RAVENOR books, though

Hoo boy

(Pariah is pretty fuckin' good you guys)

• Options
    Also if we're talking about 40k games we'd like to see can I please get a goddamn Dynasty Warriors: 40k Edition

How is this not a thing that has already happened

• Options
    Also if we're talking about 40k games we'd like to see can I please get a goddamn Dynasty Warriors: 40k Edition

The Battle of Armageddon. Angron the Red Prince is the Lu Bu and you get to play as Hyperion.

Objective - Kill the daemon primarch.
    Hidden Objective - Break Angron's sword

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Oh man...getting near the end of the book Pariah.
    Love DA's depiction of the Traitor Marines. But the biggest OH SHITS moment was when they reveal DeathRow's identity. One of Eisenhorn's people he hired took the role of Deathrow. After fending off Teke, his face mask is destroyed. Bequin asks him "who are you?" and he answers in a way that is more telling than a Marine in the Horus Heresy saying "I can not say"

"...I am Alpharius"

Alpha Legion is one of my favorite Traitor Legions so this was a bit of a squee moment. Mostly because in HH there has only been one AL story and a few side stories

Yeah I kept having to put that book down every so often to calm down because of how awesome it was.

• Options

Gaunt vs. Cain

I'm still imagining that Mr "punches nonphysical gods in their nonexistent faces" doesn't exist.

Also, that name is a horrible waste of an excellent White Scars opportunity.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I finally got around to downloading the next Ciaphas Cain novel I hadn't read, and I forgot how much pure joy I receive from reading these books.

I do wish there was a way to organize books on my Kindle Paperwhite so that I could put the novels and short stories in chronological order.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    who is this ciaphas cain you people are talking about

is he in some way related to CIAPHAS CAIN: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM ?

• Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Any Imperial Guard I mean ASTRA MILITARUM players have a spare Sniper Rifle bit from the Cadian Command Sprue?

I'd be willing to trade bits/pay for it/owe you one.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

It's his name when he's traveling incognito.

CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM sometimes likes to let his enemies think they have a chance.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM sometimes likes to let his enemies think they have a chance.

Also his name when he wants a cuppa recaf, to mooch of the High Admiral's Amnisac and personal chef, and praying to the God Emperor that 'YOU STOP DEPLOYING ME TO THE FRONT LINE FOR YOUR SAKE!!!!!!"

• Options
    New still from The Lord Inquisitor

iK7IXxb.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Absolutely love the candle/fluorescent light thing they've got going.

The one thing I liked about the Ultramarines movie is the scene where the holoprojector in the thunderhawk (??) wobbles on its rails, really gives it a sense of past-primeness.
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Also his name when he wants a cuppa recaf, to mooch of the High Admiral's Amnisac and personal chef, and praying to the God Emperor that 'YOU STOP DEPLOYING ME TO THE FRONT LINE FOR YOUR SAKE!!!!!!"

You mean "amasec"?

Elaro on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    wait what theres a wh40k movie?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    We talking bout damnatus in here?

• Options
    Didn't Damnatus get Fox'd like incredibly hardcore right after they finally finished it?

• Options
    Yeah, it was a question of trademark and copyright law differences between Germany and England.

No, I was referring to the animated movie made (cheaply) by Codex Pictures that's not very good, has lore issues, and was direct-to-dvd. I have it. It's called Ultramarines.

• Options
    Anyone seen Damnatus?

• Options
    Damnatus is pretty good for what it is and I posted a youtube link to the whole thing in this thread. The Lord Inquisitor is currently in development and is sanctioned by GW.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Yeah I must have missed your link.

I've seen it before and it isn't bad for a fan thing.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

I'm surprised Relic hasn't put out a 40k MOBA yet. They're already halfway there with Dawn of War II and the Last Stand mode.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    I really wish WH40k would take the Genre to a whole to level. I really hope that a company like relic would let the WH40K genre evolve to the next level in the media game genre to let WH40K become a dominate theme. An inquisitor genre would replace COD, an Inquisitor game would replace hitman, and a game like DMC would replace Eisenhorn as an genre stronghold fore the grere would emerge to create a new evaluation for the genre. WH40K has such a strong mythos for the genre that it could become a new Staple for the game genre pretty easilly if MLG and others would accept it.