As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gridders] Delving dungeons one step at a time

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Raggie wrote: »
    Come on, guys. You know that thing about opinions, right? I know it sucks when people dislike what you really dig, but no game ever is going to be liked by everyone. Just something we need to live with.

Fuck this "Why can't we all get along?" shit, I want to see Drake and Sporky draw some fuckin blood

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fuck this "Why can't we all get along?" shit, I want to see Drake and Sporky draw some fuckin blood

You must be confused. This isn't RPGCodex.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I'm fine with whatever opinions. I'm don't appreciate having my enthusiasm for something used as a launching point for a negative opinion. Maybe I'm too touchy or something but it feels like that thing where you are talking about something you like and someone comes up and is like yeah that thing you are excited about is bad, lemme go into detail.

• Options
    The release schedule for next month looks crazy:

Lord of the Seal
    Dungeon Kingdom
    The Quest HD
    Swords and Sorcery Underworld Definitive Edition
    StarCrawlers
    The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians

I'll be very surprised if they'll all be released next month though. Maybe a half.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Anyone ever finish Elminage Gothic? I just realized I burned out and didn't (something about a tree-dungeon that was pissing me off), was thinking of maybe going back and giving it a go.

Did they ever patch those weird typos that Gothic inherited from the original Elminage Original PSP release? Stuff like "Lightning Attack" instead of "Holy Physical Attack?"

Edit: I just redownloaded it, and yeah, they fixed that stuff in a patch. Kinda considering goign through Gothic, Maybe with a non-standard party - maybe a Servant? I heard they can be amazingly good and later on there's an item that lets them use consumables an infinite number of times?

KiTA on
  • Options
    KiTA wrote: »
    Anyone ever finish Elminage Gothic? I just realized I burned out and didn't (something about a tree-dungeon that was pissing me off), was thinking of maybe going back and giving it a go.

Did they ever patch those weird typos that Gothic inherited from the original Elminage Original PSP release? Stuff like "Lightning Attack" instead of "Holy Physical Attack?"

Edit: I just redownloaded it, and yeah, they fixed that stuff in a patch. Kinda considering goign through Gothic, Maybe with a non-standard party - maybe a Servant? I heard they can be amazingly good and later on there's an item that lets them use consumables an infinite number of times?

I can't really comment on the classes in Gothic, but if you want an unconventional party, you could also consider starting out with a more conventional setup and then switch out to new classes once you've passed the initial difficulty hump.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    True enough -- a lot of the casters benefit from starting as a different caster class and switching to whatever final class they want to be, for example.

Plus in Gothic there's this mechanic where you can make pacts with monsters as a Summoner, then use a special ability to turn said monsters into permanent party members -- level 1, randomly generated PCs. Apparently they can be pretty insane, coming with special monster abilities, random magic, etc.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Stonekeep and Dragon Wars are currently nice and cheap over at GOG right now. Been looking forward to trying Dragon Wars. A lot of people seem to hold it in high regard.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I remember when CRPG Addict played Dragon Wars, it was interesting to read about. Here's the start of his playthrough (spoilers, obviously) and here's his final rating which includes a lot of commentary on the systems at play. He ultimately places it just below the high end of his rankings, a step below the Gold Box games, Might & Magic, etc. Some elements sound frustrating, though, like the fact that the game isn't transparent about what makes any given piece of equipment better than another, and you're expected to experiment in combat with each new weapon to see if it's better than what you had before.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I need someone to start a super good MM4 let's play stat
    go go go

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I really, really want to get my wizardry on, but I don't want to spend forever rolling characters. I'm either going to start at 6 or 7 (7 being the only one I played). I have the steam 6-8 pack.

None of the save games or save editors I can find seem to work with the steam version properly. I'm basically just looking to put together a strong starting party without rolling for a few hours. Anyone know off a good resource?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I really, really want to get my wizardry on, but I don't want to spend forever rolling characters. I'm either going to start at 6 or 7 (7 being the only one I played). I have the steam 6-8 pack.

None of the save games or save editors I can find seem to work with the steam version properly. I'm basically just looking to put together a strong starting party without rolling for a few hours. Anyone know off a good resource?

I like this piece from gamefaqs. It gives a good overview and while it gives a crazy class-change setup at the end, you can do a good job I think inferring the ways to do things from the rest of the info.

The last time I played I think I ran a lord, a thief/ninja, a monk, an alchemist/ninja, a priest/valk, and a bard/samurai.

EDIT: this is all for 7. I imagine the same setup will work for 6.

Double EDIT: I didn't spend all that long rolling characters, for the record. The monk and the lord are the ones you need to spend time rolling, since they begin in their final forms. The others just need to have high enough stats to change class to their second form.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Thanks! Sorry, I don't think I was clear. I'm not looking for a guide, but rather either a savegame from 6 that I can just import or a save editor that works with the steam version. That way I can just edit team I could have started with if I had more patience to roll.

The only save game imports I found don't work.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    go go go

You aren't asking much, are you? :-7

There is always Corak's Let's Play. Pity he never finished it, I loved it.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    go go go

You aren't asking much, are you? :-7

There is always Corak's Let's Play. Pity he never finished it, I loved it.

That's why I'm asking for more. My heart still aches from that unfinished LP

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I liked the one on the lparchive

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    The first of the November releases is out: The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians.

Looks tasty, and a lot like Grimrock. In fact, the only thing that looks different from Grimrock is that the combat can be paused, and is more MMO-like. The early reviews and impressions are positive.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    The first review for The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians is up!

"But even with a few lingering issues, I was completely won over by The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians. By addressing most of the shortcomings found in old school 3D dungeon crawlers, Mana Games has created an addictive adventure game worth exploring."

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    go go go

I tried to do this back in August but there wasn't much interest and I abandoned it before I even started. I wound up finishing Clouds on my own and I don't think I have it in me to go through it again. Red Dwarf Range has to be one of the worst starting dungeons.

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Options
    Just when I was thinking there should be more Japanese gridders, NISA announces Stranger of Sword City.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/11/stranger-of-sword-city-is-headed-westward-in-march-2016-for-ps-vita/

WOOT!
    Just when I was thinking there should be more Japanese gridders, NISA announces Stranger of Sword City.

I'm guessing the other Experience games did well enough to justify it. I know Experience was REALLY pushing to get their stuff over to a US Audience.

Edit: As an aside, I'm still bummed out that Elminage Gothic only got a PC port and not a PSN release. It would seem that porting the data file changes to the original PSP game would have been trivial - and free money.

KiTA on
  • Options

I'm guessing the other Experience games did well enough to justify it. I know Experience was REALLY pushing to get their stuff over to a US Audience.

Really? Kind of unusual for a Japanese dev. Good for us, of course.

I'm liking the art style of the screenshots. It looks a bit unusual, very different from Demon Gaze.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

That looks pretty sweet. I'm assuming the chances of it making its way to the PC are essentially nil?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Some of the devs have been porting games to Steam for a bit of extra money (I'm guessing there's some middleware that makes commercial Vita Emulation extremely cheap to do now) for a while now, so no, not nil.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Sword City is on the more complimacated side of things.

• Options
    Ever wanted to follow a Steam curator for new top-rated gridders? Well, now you can.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Eight classes, sixteen characters. Just enough for backups when characters die or need to rest. Party of six, though. Benched characters do gain experience.

Of course, multiclassing may also ease the problem of losing something.

PLA on
  • Options
    I'm not totally sold on all the features I read on Sword City. It sounds like it might be one of those games that like to be punishing rather than just challenging. I like my gridders tough but fair. No saving in dungeons combined with permadeath and some monsters being able to one-hit you is not my idea of fun.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, that seems about accurate.

• Options
    I'm not totally sold on all the features I read on Sword City. It sounds like it might be one of those games that like to be punishing rather than just challenging. I like my gridders tough but fair. No saving in dungeons combined with permadeath and some monsters being able to one-hit you is not my idea of fun.

That seems like the exact definition of a classic gridder, save for the not being able to revive in town. Does it really have absolute permadeath?

• Options
    Death is absolute, but you need to run out of lifepoints, first. You trade lifepoints for bonus-points at creation, up to +10 points at no revive ever. Some people have said that those points also increase caps, but I haven't been able to confirm that, so maybe it's a short-term advantage.
    The initial character's "talent" negates lifepoint-loss, so that character might as well go full into sacrificing life for bonus. Has to be human race, though.
    Lifepoints can be restored, but are real expensive.

Maybe I'll go with a Samurai that will become a Knight, a Knight that will become a Samurai, a Dancer that will become a Cleric, a Cleric that will become a Wizard, a Samurai that will become a Ranger, and I guess a Ranger that will turn into some kind of utility-frontliner.

• Options

That seems like the exact definition of a classic gridder, save for the not being able to revive in town.

Depends on how you define a classic gridder, I guess. I'm used to the PC classics where you could save anywhere you liked.
    Does it really have absolute permadeath?

From what I've understood it does, but it's not like it's going to delete your save. You can just reload, but you'll lose the progress you did after the last save. And there are no items for escaping the dungeons. And that's really my beef with the system. I don't like games that don't respect my time.

I dunno, it might be something that won't be an issue for real. Etrian Odyssey also doesn't let you save in the dungeons, but then again I don't recall it making cheap party wipes either. The few times I've died in an EO game has been because I was over-confident and took risks knowingly, not because a monster could one-hit me.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    A character can change class five times per playthrough. You start with two slots for skills from past classes, and gain one slot at level 13 of each class. This caps at sixteen slots, but that's about three playthroughs.
    Incidentally, there are three factions to support in the story.

Edit: I've heard that there are randomly appearing chances to warp back to town. Don't know the details.

PLA on
  • Options
    ...I confess the inner workings of this game just baffles me. I guess I'm waiting for the reviews and player impressions with interest.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    The Xbone-version apparently has a bunch of new portraits the Vita one is unlikely to get, though. Some of it isn't great, but some of it is nice.
    Courtesy NeoGAF:
    RhGQUzXl.jpg

ahiLkwzl.jpg

17ZbVCTl.jpg

PLA on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

That seems like the exact definition of a classic gridder, save for the not being able to revive in town.

Depends on how you define a classic gridder, I guess. I'm used to the PC classics where you could save anywhere you liked.

Yeah, if you go back and play some of the classics they are really not that bad. Save anywhere, most areas and dungeons eminently doable as long as you don't wander outside your level range.

If you go CLASSIC classic, though, like Wizardry 1-4, that's a bad time. :) But most things in the 90s are actually pretty fair.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

If you go CLASSIC classic, though, like Wizardry 1-4, that's a bad time. :)

I came to RPGs later, but from what I've heard of some of those early Wizardry games, it sounds like they very nearly format your hard drive and come to your home to smack you personally if you die. :biggrin:

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The old Wizardry games weren't made for hard drives, and games using save disks are kind of notorious for permadeath at the drop of a hat (Starflight, Ultima and Wasteland were kind of the same way). You were expected to back up your save disk if you really wanted to keep them around, although honestly it seemed somewhat malicious that they'd go out of their way to save when someone died. Even other, more lenient contemporary RPGs like Bard's Tale, Might & Magic, all the SSI games, tended to be save & load from the tavern/inn/town until the '90s -- I feel like Eye of the Beholder was the first, although I never played the original Dungeon Master.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    The old Wizardry games weren't made for hard drives, and games using save disks are kind of notorious for permadeath at the drop of a hat (Starflight, Ultima and Wasteland were kind of the same way). You were expected to back up your save disk if you really wanted to keep them around, although honestly it seemed somewhat malicious that they'd go out of their way to save when someone died. Even other, more lenient contemporary RPGs like Bard's Tale, Might & Magic, all the SSI games, tended to be save & load from the tavern/inn/town until the '90s -- I feel like Eye of the Beholder was the first, although I never played the original Dungeon Master.

I did, and I seem to remember going through the opening portrait hall an awful lot... it probably started you back up at the top of the dungeon if you died. Don't quote me on that, though, it was an awfully long time ago!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.