As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Is this the first time you've taken your car to this garage, and did your car feel like it had any problems before you brought it in for a tire change?

A couple of years ago I brought my car to a local Firestone to have my snow tires put on, and they apparently found that my front control arms were bad and needed replacing. They didn't tell me this until they have my car in a non-driveable state and I was stuck paying $600 to get it repaired/put back together. They also didn't have the parts in stock so they had to keep my car overnight, and I had to figure out how to get home that night. My car felt totally fine before I brought it there, and I'm sure that they screwed me over only informing me about repairs I did not need at a point in which I had to pay them to get my car back. Maybe my car needed the work done but the way in which they handled the situation makes me think they performed unnecessary repairs. I will never give my business to Firestone ever again.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm in the U.S. but I was able to find parts for that vehicle and a single lower ball joint, control arm bushings, and a set of rear brake pads are right around $50. I definitely don't think that there is $750 worth of labor in changing those out, unless the ball joint is a real bear or something.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Cormac wrote: »
    Is this the first time you've taken your car to this garage, and did your car feel like it had any problems before you brought it in for a tire change?

A couple of years ago I brought my car to a local Firestone to have my snow tires put on, and they apparently found that my front control arms were bad and needed replacing. They didn't tell me this until they have my car in a non-driveable state and I was stuck paying $600 to get it repaired/put back together. They also didn't have the parts in stock so they had to keep my car overnight, and I had to figure out how to get home that night. My car felt totally fine before I brought it there, and I'm sure that they screwed me over only informing me about repairs I did not need at a point in which I had to pay them to get my car back. Maybe my car needed the work done but the way in which they handled the situation makes me think they performed unnecessary repairs. I will never give my business to Firestone ever again.

It's not the first time I've taken my car here. This is the garage my family's all used and my dad's more of a car guy and generally trusts their technicians and prices, and they know that I talk to him about work on my car.

I dunno. Think either way I'm looking at car shopping.

I did always want a Mini.

Psykoma on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    So I'm driving a 2013 Escape now, and it's basically a fat Focus ST. I actually like the vehicle a lot. I already dropped 2Gs into a stereo, and installed a CAI. Tuner is in the mail, and soon I'm gonna get a bigger intercooler and do some exhaust work. Much later I'm gonna look into methanol injection. I would love to make 300 at the wheels, but I'm not sure how much the tranny can take.

Casually Hardcore on
    Nitsua
    Psykoma wrote: »

It's not the first time I've taken my car here. This is the garage my family's all used and my dad's more of a car guy and generally trusts their technicians and prices, and they know that I talk to him about work on my car.

I dunno. Think either way I'm looking at car shopping.

I did always want a Mini.

That's good to hear. After my experience with Firestone I found a local garage that was a pleasure to deal with, and used them exclusively until I traded my car in for something new.

I was in a similar situation earlier this Spring when the amount of money I was paying off on a credit card for car repairs was equivalent to taking out a loan for a new car.

Now I'm not sure what to believe.

I asked if I would be allowed to drive it out while I look for a new car.
    They said yes.
    But that laundry list they went through sounded pretty damn serious. The kind of "you don't get your car back until it's fixed" serious.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    The ball joint and control arm bushing are parts of your steering and suspension, respectively. Have you noticed any odd feelings while making turns, or going over bumps?

I notice the bumps in the road (Montreal roads, so basically there are a lot of them), but the steering hasn't had any issues.

Now I'm not sure what to believe.

I asked if I would be allowed to drive it out while I look for a new car.
    They said yes.
    But that laundry list they went through sounded pretty damn serious. The kind of "you don't get your car back until it's fixed" serious.

When you come to a stop, does the car make a bad grinding sound from the rear? When you hit a bump, is there a relatively loud and distinct clunk from the front near one of the wheels? The first would indicate that the rear brakes are indeed at "0%." The second would indicate that you ball joint is indeed in need of repair soon.

Given the issues you described as being "critical repairs" I think you could easily get away with driving it around to look at new cars, especially if they are just in town. The ball joint is the only thing that could really cause you a safety concern. The brakes could too I suppose, but if your front brakes are good then it should be fine even if they are are near 0% life in back.

IronKnuckle's GhostDonovan Puppyfucker
    If you're going to be considering replacing your car anyway, you might swing your car by another garage and have them take a look to see what they think.

jgeis wrote: »

When you come to a stop, does the car make a bad grinding sound from the rear?

Nope.
    When you hit a bump, is there a relatively loud and distinct clunk from the front near one of the wheels?

And nope.

If your rear brakes were really at 0% you would be able to hear them pretty clearly. It's weird that a shop you're familiar with would try to fleece you, but it definitely doesn't sound like any of these repairs are critical.

IronKnuckle's Ghostschuss
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It sounds like horseshit to me.

I think this shop is trying to fleece you because they think you will trust them.

I know that in Australia a workshop won't start on a job until you okay it, because if you take your car in for a service and they decide to pull your front suspension apart you can just tell them to fuck off and put it all back together and you aren't legally required to pay for the labour hours.

The brakes being worn thing is common as shit, too. Disc brake pad swaps are a 10 minute job and the parts have a big markup, so they'll try and get you for a set of pads as often as possible. Thing is, your brakes still work perfectly right up until the friction material wears right down to the metal backing plate, at which point your brakes will start making a loud rumbling/grinding noise. The metal-metal contact is bad for your brake rotors, but I've seen a lot of shops quoting half worn as 0%. Which is a bold-faced fucking LIE.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So I'm driving a 2013 Escape now, and it's basically a fat Focus ST.

I hate to be a party pooper, but no. That's like saying a BMW X3 is basically the same as a 335.

The Escape is a really nice compact SUV for the price, and is one of my two favourite vehicles in that class (the other being the Tiguan), but if you go take a Focus ST for a test drive, you'll see there's a world of difference.

I'm glad you love it and it sounds like you're in for a LOT of fun!

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I've driven both and I still say the escape is a fat ST. I'm not saying the escape is a performance vehicle, the automatic lacks the connectivity to push the escape in the corners.. But both cars shares a common chassis, light end, and engine. Hell, a lot of the aftermarket parts for the ST fits the Escape with a little motivation.

It's not a common chassis.

They're built off of the same platform. But then so is this:

2011-Ford-Territory-Titanium-13.jpg

and this:

supercharged-fpv-gt-range_100325131_m.jpg

One is an SUV, and one is a car.

Both are rather nice examples of their class, made by Ford, and can even have the same engine and gearbox in them!

However

The monocoque is different, the brakes are different, the suspension is different, the basic physics of the cars are vastly different thanks to the mass, the weight distribution, and centre of gravity all being completely different...

The Territory drives very nicely for an SUV (commonly garnering favourable comparisons to the BMW X5), but the Falcon is vastly superior in every way except for ground clearance, off road traction, luggage carrying volume, and towing capacity.

The Focus and Escape are in the exact same boat. I'm not trying to shit on your dinner plate here, because I'm not that much of an asshole. I'm glad you got your car, I'm glad you like it, I hope you have a long and enjoyable relationship with your car. It's a good car!

But it's not a Focus ST. Not even close.

Of course it isn't a Focus ST, it's a Ford Escape, If i wanted the ST I would of gotten one. But I've owned and modded 3 Foci in my life time and when I look at the Ford Escape I basically see a Focus. The rear suspension is basically the same multi link setup the Focus been using since it's first conception. Driving the Escape feels almost like driving an AWD Focus SUV. Even the interior screams 'Focus'. Trust me, I'm a huge fan of the Focus and I got shat on a lot for driving and modding Foci. The biggest reason why I gotten the Escape is because of how 'Focus-like' it is, and the fact that it has the same ecoboost engine that the ST has is just frosting on the cake.

If it wasn't for my 10+ hours commute and the fact that I'm basically the people hauler amongst my friends.....I would've gotten a brz instead cause I'm never gonna go back to FWD performance vehicles.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I'm filing a petition to have the Florida State Flag changed to a late 70's Mercedes sedan with a massive plume of oil smoke behind it

jgeis
    Will it be on rims?

Will it be on rims?

No. Cadillacs and lincolns go on rims.

The Mercedes are driven by 80 year olds who have never, ever changed their oil

It sounds like horseshit to me.

I think this shop is trying to fleece you because they think you will trust them.

I know that in Australia a workshop won't start on a job until you okay it, because if you take your car in for a service and they decide to pull your front suspension apart you can just tell them to fuck off and put it all back together and you aren't legally required to pay for the labour hours.

The brakes being worn thing is common as shit, too. Disc brake pad swaps are a 10 minute job and the parts have a big markup, so they'll try and get you for a set of pads as often as possible. Thing is, your brakes still work perfectly right up until the friction material wears right down to the metal backing plate, at which point your brakes will start making a loud rumbling/grinding noise. The metal-metal contact is bad for your brake rotors, but I've seen a lot of shops quoting half worn as 0%. Which is a bold-faced fucking LIE.

I'm going to another shop this weekend to get another quote.

in the meantime, last night I test drove the 2014 honda accord coupe, an impreza and the volkswagon GTI.

The impreza handled nicely, but I just didn't like it as a car. Not to my tastes look-wise.

It's a tossup in my mind between the accord and the GTI, both had the consoles I like, and the GTI had some extra power and a bit nicer ride, but the GTI takes supreme gas while the accord takes regular, and I haven't heard back from my insurance what the difference between the two cars would be (the lease payments on the two are different by like 2$ per month).

and I'm going to test drive a mini S tonight.

You might like the Mini S a lot, but it too will take premium gas.

I don't know how much different the price of premium is versus regular in Canada, but it really only amounts to a couple of dollars per tank. That might be too much for your budget, but the price difference (at least here in the US) seems more costly than it really is.

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    The US has magical gas fairies though.

I don't pay nearly as much attention to gas prices as I should and I only drive enough to need to fill-up once a month but generally premium gas is about 15 cents a litre more than regular around where I am in southern Ontario. That adds up surprisingly fast.

Edit: That is not to say you shouldn't get a car that takes premium because generally they're more fun and that's worth the extra cost.

Bear is Driving on
    The GTI gets really good mileage for what it is, though. When you're just motoring around it sips fuel really frugally, it only really starts to gulp it down when you get up it for the rent and start pulling g-forces and laying rubber. The Accord is bigger and heavier, so even with the cheaper fuel your spend on petrol is probably going to work out about the same, maybe even higher. The Mini is a hoot to drive, but smaller and with a less comfortable ride when you're NOT battling Lotii on canyon runs.

edited June 2014
    In general premium is 10-15 cents a litre higher.
    Right now at the gas station near here regular is $1.41/litre, and premium is $1.54/litre.

Psykoma on
    The concern I have for the Mini is that I like the creature comforts in the dash on the GTI and accord, and it seems like the starting price for the mini is at a point where an equivalent costing mini wouldn't have those.

Donovan Puppyfucker
    Regular gas in my area is right around $3.90/gallon right now, premium is right around $4.15/gallon. So the difference between the two on an 11 gallon fill (my usual fill) is less than $3.

If my math is correct (3.8l/gal) then the difference is about $4 a fill in Canada? That might be way off.

edited June 2014
    Heh, Jalopnik ran a "top ten" list of most unlikely performance cars. The Ford Flex Ecoboost is on the list and I kind of forgot it existed. With the Ecoboost and AWD it hits 0-60 in 5.3s. That seems crazy fast for a big-ass people moving brick.

jgeis on
    schuss
    edited June 2014
    I'm going to another shop this weekend to get another quote.

in the meantime, last night I test drove the 2014 honda accord coupe, an impreza and the volkswagon GTI.

The impreza handled nicely, but I just didn't like it as a car. Not to my tastes look-wise.

It's a tossup in my mind between the accord and the GTI, both had the consoles I like, and the GTI had some extra power and a bit nicer ride, but the GTI takes supreme gas while the accord takes regular, and I haven't heard back from my insurance what the difference between the two cars would be (the lease payments on the two are different by like 2$ per month).

and I'm going to test drive a mini S tonight.

Putting 91/93 in my GTI costs me about $5 more a month more than the 87 I was putting in my Outlander. I'm also getting double the gas mileage so I'm actually saving between $75-100 per month. I'm getting about 27mpg driving 75% highway and 25% backroads and around town, and that's with a bit of 'sporty' driving on the back roads. I could probably get that close to 30mpg if I really tried but don't particularly want to.

I never looked into how much my insurance went up before I bought the car, but it turned out to only be $120 a year. I may look at switching to another provider come July to see if I can find something a little cheaper than State Farm.

I'm a bit biased towards the GTI being an owner, but finally owning the car I've wanted for years just feels great. It's just such a nice car to drive between the feeling of solidity, smoothness, speed, and practicality it's one of the most rounded cars you can buy.

Cormac on
    There is an S2000 parked next to a second-gen MR2 in the campus parking lot. They look tastefully modified (wheels, tires, exhaust that I can see) and they both have Purdue plates. I am imagining they are bros that togue the whole way to class.

IronKnuckle's GhostBillyIdle
    Right now at the gas station near here regular is $1.41/litre, and premium is $1.54/litre.

Wait, you live in Australia?

I never looked into how much my insurance went up before I bought the car, but it turned out to only be $120 a year.

Yes, hello, your annual insurance is what I pay per month.

jgeis
    in Florida, premium is usually 20-30 cents higher than regular, but it varies wildly by gas station

Some gas stations jack up premium to subsidize competitive regular prices...

edited June 2014
    I never looked into how much my insurance went up before I bought the car, but it turned out to only be $120 a year.

Oh I wish it was only $120 per year it's more like $900'ish. I forget exactly how much but I'd like to think being 30 with a relatively new car and a clean driving record it should be a lot less than that.

Cormac on

Canadia.

Where we export almost all our gas to the states, and pay more for gas ourselves than our southern neighbour.

Oh wow, I utterly failed to read that sentence properly. Yeah I'm the same age with a mostly clean driving record, and I get dinged for $1380 a year.

Canadia.

Where we export almost all our gas to the states, and pay more for gas ourselves than our southern neighbour.

Your prices are really close to ours. Ours are slightly higher, which is weird, considering we make our own petrol in our own refineries from our own crude sources, but for some stupid fucking reason our crude prices per barrel are directly linked to OPEC prices.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

Canadia.

Your taxes are probably higher. The gas tax situation here is nearly a crisis (tax revenues are down as people drive less/use more efficient vehicles) but the national tax hasn't gone up since the early 90's.

Oh I wish it was only $120 per year it's more like $900'ish. I forget exactly how much but I'd like to think being 30 with a relatively new car and a clean driving record it should be a lot less than that.

$900 doesn't seem like the worst. For reference I pay $1800 a year for my Dart and my Scirocco. I'm 24 and making payments on the Dart, and the Scirocco has the same coverage as the Dart but is marked as recreation only.

I'm ready to turn 25 in a couple of months and watch my rates go down.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

$900 doesn't seem like the worst. For reference I pay $1800 a year for my Dart and my Scirocco. I'm 24 and making payments on the Dart, and the Scirocco has the same coverage as the Dart but is marked as recreation only.

I'm ready to turn 25 in a couple of months and watch my rates go down.

I pay just shy of $1800 a year on my new Hyundai Elantra GT, '89 Cherokee with full coverage, and my 2005 Crown vic with basic coverage. The Crown Vic is by far the most to insure if I put it up to full coverage.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.