As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    pimento wrote: »
    I'd like a blue 'service' key that only uses 2 cylinder and maxxes it at 200bhp.

It's a Challenger, it weighs the same as a Commodore. 200 horsepower isn't much in a car that size!

That's the point, how many stories have you read about cars getting wrecked while being serviced? :P

Not many. I did crash a service ute once though!

Well, more correctly, someone in a Lancer tried to turn through the intersection I was already driving through. Rodeo ute vs. Lancer?

Both cars were written off, actually. Bent the chassis on the Rodeo. I got a little bruise on my knee.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    just got done karting in monsoon conditions

a four hour seminar in throttle steering and not being able to see a goddamn thing through your visor

learned a ton, hit a lot of things. Took the white flag in the lead and spun myself into 3rd.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Oh man. My friends 10 year old son just washed his car for him. And it looks like he used a brillo pad.

Anyone have recommendations for a good polish or glaze? This is a black toyota. I figure a hard polish and then a good wax is about as much as we can do without respraying the finish.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    How deep are the scratches? If he's gone through the clear coat into the colour, it's going to need respraying anyway, because even if you polish a shine back onto it, the paint is going to oxidise and wear off.

If he hasn't cut through the clear coat, I'd start with a fine cut and a soft buffing wheel and go gently. You don't want to take too much more off! Give it a quick buff, wipe it down, check the surface to see how things are, repeat process as many times as necessary to achieve the result you want.

Just be really careful.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    They are through the clear coat, through the color coat and into the undercoat. We'll see how this works.

Wow, I feel really bad for his bank balance then. That's going to need a full respray. And not one of those $1000 cheapies where they just gun a coat of colour and a coat of clear over the existing duco...

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    It's a truck, just paint it camo with some spray paint

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    He really gave that car a scrubbing then, huh

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I tried to leave work to grab some lunch and now my car won't start. It has power but it is experiencing some major electrical gremlins apparently. The dashboard lights all come on, the gauges bounce, and the in-dash display cycles through a bunch of warning messages like "Service transmission" and "service ABS system."

Having it towed to the dealership for service. What a headache.

The dealership thinks it could actually be the battery, but that would mean that either the battery or the alternator went bad in less than 2 years. Which I would not be particularly happy about.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Where do you live? Extreme weather can ruin the life expectancy of a battery.

I live in Michigan, and we did have a particularly cold winter, but I keep my car in a heated garage overnight and whenever I'm not out.

Battery is dead, they showed me their tests. Alternator is fine, which is good. So now I'm out the cost of a new battery and since I can't really get the car home to do the swap myself, I'll have to pay them to swap it out. Blehhhhhh.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Battery is dead, they showed me their tests. Alternator is fine, which is good. So now I'm out the cost of a new battery and since I can't really get the car home to do the swap myself, I'll have to pay them to swap it out. Blehhhhhh.

Battery swap should be free. Hell, they'll install for free at autozone etc.*

*provided it's not a certain model dodge stratus that requires you to remove the tire/wheel and wheelwell to change the battery**

**No I'm not kidding

well that's one way to get me to never buy your car

How is your car not under warranty? It's less than two years old!

edited July 2014
    Batteries aren't covered under warranty because they fall under "maintenance items."

Edit: I am going to argue with them about the fee though, if they end up charging me for the swap. Paying for the battery I honestly don't mind, but paying for the service I do.

jgeis on
    that's.. weird. When I bought a new mazda my battery was covered.

edited July 2014
    Also, if I hadn't spent a little extra on a lifetime warranty, I would be well outside of the non-powertrain warranty. The basic warranty only lasts until 36,000 miles and I'm at 59,000.

And I just double checked the warranty coverage statement, batteries that are dead due to discharge (which is what they're claiming this is) are not covered at all.

jgeis on
    Wow they're double-fucking you just to make sure their arses are covered.

Yeah, it's the things like this that are turning me away from Chrysler in general and honestly I am super unhappy with the dealership and I definitely won't be shopping here again.

Buy a Hyundai! Their standard factory warranty is incredible (in Australia at least!) - 5 years, unlimited kilometres, bumper-to-bumper.

I want to like Chrysler. Especially Dodge, they really have the last of that old-fashioned American car feel in the best way (V8s and RWD all day). I thought this would be a pleasant experience. Mostly thanks to my dealership, it has been less than pleasant.

I'm definitely looking at an import next time because there's no other American brand I'd want to drive.

I have had nothing but issues with the Dodge I have. Lots of annoying little issues. Having to replace the entire rear axle assembly to fix the ABS sensor put me off ever buying a Dodge product again.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Buy a Hyundai! Their standard factory warranty is incredible (in Australia at least!) - 5 years, unlimited kilometres, bumper-to-bumper.

US is 10 years, 100k miles on the powertrain. I think the b-to-b is 5/60.

I got them to take back the fucking $90 labor charge they were going to stick me with.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    a5ehren wrote: »

US is 10 years, 100k miles on the powertrain. I think the b-to-b is 5/60.
    When I bought my new Hyundai in the US, I got them to extend the b-to-b to 5yrs /100k miles. Everything is negotiable.

holy dogshit. that's a vicious dealer.

Jasconius wrote: »
    holy dogshit. that's a vicious dealer.

Like, I got a good deal on the car, but ever since then it has been an uphill struggle with them.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Hehe so I now know what burnt clutch smells like. I was at an intersection with a friend of mine in the passenger seat. We were bullshitting and I forgot to pop the car into 1st from 3rd when I pulled up to the intersection. So I went and moved the car forward in 3rd, after stalling it 3 times. I didn't clue in. Had to rev the engine to like 6000 and it still stuttered, but I cleared the intersection, noticed what gear I was in, and pulled the fuck over.

Clutch and tranny still feels ok, and I learned a valuable lesson.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    I got them to take back the fucking $90 labor charge they were going to stick me with.

$90 for a fucking battery labor? Holy shit.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Hehe so I now know what burnt clutch smells like. I was at an intersection with a friend of mine in the passenger seat. We were bullshitting and I forgot to pop the car into 1st from 3rd when I pulled up to the intersection. So I went and moved the car forward in 3rd, after stalling it 3 times. I didn't clue in. Had to rev the engine to like 6000 and it still stuttered, but I cleared the intersection, noticed what gear I was in, and pulled the fuck over.

Clutch and tranny still feels ok, and I learned a valuable lesson.

I had an old mini that wouldn't stay in first unless I popped it in just before rolling to a halt. Hill starts in second were like that, all revs and smells.

Yeah the synchros on Subaru transmissions are locked so you can't put it into 1st until your speed is 20KM/h or under, even with the clutch pushed down. My stopping consists of Neutral, brake, stop, put it into first. I forgot steps 1 and and 4.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Decius wrote: »
    Yeah the synchros on Subaru transmissions are locked so you can't put it into 1st until your speed is 20KM/h or under, even with the clutch pushed down. My stopping consists of Neutral, brake, stop, put it into first. I forgot steps 1 and and 4.

That just sounds like worn synchros to me.

On a side note, my better half has decided that considering the costs involved in vehicle maintenance from dealerships and garages, and building a shed with both a roof high enough to fit a two-post hoist and said hoist installed, we're going to be getting the hoist when we get our own place.

Nah it's a known issue. I got hits on it from the Saab 9-2x forum, NASIOC, and few other randoms. Also most other Subie guys I talk to confirm; it's just the way Subaru builds their transmissions.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I think I may have asked for tinted windows.

Do they put any tint at all on the windshield? Like I'm pretty sure the side and rear ones are going to be, just not sure what to expect on the front

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    No. In most (all?) states it is illegal for the front and driver/passenger windows to be tinted.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Didn't think to look at the laws
    No material substance that darkens the glass may be applied or sprayed on the windshield. A strip no more than 15 cm wide may however be placed along the upper edge of the windshield;

Windows on either side of the driver must let in at least 70% of light when measured with a photometer.

They did say they would go near the legal limit but not so close as to get me likely to be pulled over

Psykoma on
    basically every window tinter in the world will tint your windshield even though its illegal in most states

like... they START with offering you what's illegal and then it goes down from there

its only a problem if you actually get pulled over

This discussion has been closed.