As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Nah it's a known issue. I got hits on it from the Saab 9-2x forum, NASIOC, and few other randoms. Also most other Subie guys I talk to confirm; it's just the way Subaru builds their transmissions.

There is not actually a lockout on Subaru's 1st gear though. The old synchro/gearbox design they used doesn't match speeds as quickly as other transmissions or even their own newer transmissions. Combine that with the large 1/2 gear ratio gap makes the 2->1 shift more difficult. If the 1st gear synchro is actually worn it's only going to make it worse, and given it's hard to shift into to begin with it's almost certainly been abused. Rev matching/double clutching will help with the 2->1 shift. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=353774

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Woo finally got the back end of the jeep done in regards to the lift. Technically easy, but trying to remove parts that are 25 years old are a bear. Thank the gods for dremels and sawzalls. I was already sitting lower than stock, and add in a 3.5" lift and the back end sits up SO high now. damn! Still have to do a brake job, and replace one of the rear seals on the passenger side, as well as put new U-Joints on the driveline, then the back will be officially done. On to the front!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    shifting from 2 to 1 as I coasted to a stop in my car was pretty tough when I first bought it, with a lot of complaint. but now I hardly notice it. I guess it needed some wearing in

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I don't think I ever really bothered shifting into 1st when going to a stop. I usually just let it ride in 2nd until I was about to stop completely and then put it either in neutral or 1st once I have come to a complete stop. If I was going to start again right before stopping because the light changed, even from like 5mph, second gear is usually fine to pull from for most cars.

i have -30 torque at 2000RPM so 1st usually is the superior option if I fall to creep speed and desire to accelerate

i can do it in 2nd. it's just painfully bad acceleration

edited July 2014
    I guess I can see that in a rotary. While neither of the two manual cars I've owned have been what I would call powerful, they both seem to be fine with a second gear pull to surface street speed. The Fiero had decent low-end torque for only putting 100hp/135lb-ft out on paper, and the Scirocco has enough to get itself there (140hp/125lb-ft) coupled with its relative lightness (~2100lbs).

jgeis on
    if i go in 2nd gear from under 5 MPH, I basically have to slip the clutch at about 5000RPM unless I want to eat the dust of a ford fiesta

and that's rude in parking lots, so a lot of 2nd to 1st going on in my neighborhood

• BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with selling a scrap car, especially to one of the online places? I think I'm going to call it a game on the 88 Accord that needs new CV joints and leaks a substantial amount of oil.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Borommakot wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with selling a scrap car, especially to one of the online places? I think I'm going to call it a game on the 88 Accord that needs new CV joints and leaks a substantial amount of oil.

I'm actually looking at donating mine, Canada has this http://www.donatecar.ca/, your country may have its own if that's an option for you - donate your car, get a tax receipt, get it out of your hands?

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    He really gave that car a scrubbing then, huh

He scrubbed the shit out of it. And he tried to scrub out the dings on the hood.

yG9Frn1.jpg

edited July 2014
    I had to move the Scirocco so that people could park for a party, and I felt the impulse to make a little exhaust sound video. The car was warmed up in the video, but it had been sitting for a little while. I haven't had too many opportunities to drive it in the last week or so. It has a Techtonics header, 2.5" piping all the way back, cat delete, and a small muffler of unknown origin. I shot the video with my Moto X, so it's a bit distorted due to the nature of the beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQY5U2OPzA&feature=youtu.be

jgeis on
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Rotate your phone. Also c'mon dude, put the cat back on.

I actually didn't take the cat off myself, the exhaust was like that when I got it.

Had my brother take the video so this is what I get.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    jgeis wrote: »
    I actually didn't take the cat off myself, the exhaust was like that when I got it.

Had my brother take the video so this is what I get.

Be careful! It is illegal to remove or circumvent an emissions device in the US, and I imagine the folks issuing the fines aren't too concerned with who did it, just who currently owns it. Was reading that on Jalopnik today in regards to the folks who re-program the ECU in their diesel trucks so they can blow big black clouds of smoke.

webguy20 on
    It's illegal on a federal level but it isn't illegal in Michigan? Or at least that is what I have been told by multiple mechanics. Or maybe they just don't care because we don't have emissions testing. I would prefer the car to have a cat on it, I actually do care about those kinds of things.

edited July 2014
    I got my car tonight!

I was really worried because against my best efforts I had built up a fantasy of what the car would feel and more importantly looked like.

This car blew those fantasies away.

IMG_20140710_194022_zps16c0e6b4.jpg

I'm pretty light headed atm.

Psykoma on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sweet ride!

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I've been a fan of Honda's coupe styling since the '08 models, my brother has a Accord coupe and it looks very similar.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Good looking car.

Really like that Blue too.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    @Psykoma‌, you need NOS. Two of the big bottles.

Big fan of blue cars. Fancier than champagne or silver, they aren't cop magnets and they hide dirt decently.

Also blue is really good looking.

edited July 2014
    That blue is a not insignificant reason why I wanted that car.

Thanks ^_^
    @ Psykoma‌, you need NOS. Two of the big bottles.

That sounds dangerous, and more importantly insurance skyrocketting

Psykoma on
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Thanks ^_^

You just don't tell them about said NOS. Duh.

That blue exterior with the light tan interior is really nice. I love dark exteriors and light interiors on cars, it looks classy as hell.

Thanks ^_^

Well yeah, you would have to be careful about the passenger side footwell falling out of the car. You might even crack a manifold!

edited July 2014
    That blue exterior with the light tan interior is really nice. I love dark exteriors and light interiors on cars, it looks classy as hell.

Yah it does, and I'm guessing honda knows it becuase literally the only interior you can get with that blue exterior is the white leather with black trim.

Thanks ^_^

Well yeah, you would have to be careful about the passenger side footwell falling out of the car. You might even crack a manifold!

Psykoma on
    So Dodge verified the quarter-mile times for the Challenger Hellcat with the NHRA.

On the stock tires it runs it in 11.2 seconds at 125mph.

On street-legal drag radials it runs it in 10.86 seconds at 126mph.

A stock Mustang Shelby GT500 does it in 11.6 seconds, and the Camaro ZL1 does it in 12.1 seconds. The Viper does it in 11.7 seconds.

Other vehicles of note for comparison are the Lamborghini Aventador at 10.4 seconds, the 911 Turbo S at 10.7 seconds, and the Ferrari 458 at 10.9 seconds.

Quarter mile times aren't everything, but that is a damn fast car.

impressive considering it appears to weight three tons

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

Yah it does, and I'm guessing honda knows it becuase literally the only interior you can get with that blue exterior is the white leather with black trim.

Thanks ^_^

He's quoting Fast and the Furious. Feel free to ignore it.

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I'm trying to convince my parents to get a used Acura RDX since they want something bigger. It looks like a cool ride, and being the only turbo car Honda has released in America, it might be fun.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    impressive considering it appears to weight three tons

yea, but it's powered by a volcano, so it all balances out.

aeNqQM9.jpg

Thanks ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nYXkKN1k7M

BillyIdle wrote: »
    I'm trying to convince my parents to get a used Acura RDX since they want something bigger. It looks like a cool ride, and being the only turbo car Honda has released in America, it might be fun.

It's an SUV. I wouldn't bet on it being sporty in any way.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    So...that's what a 5000 RPM full boost launch feels like...I think I need a cigarette after that.
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSTERU!

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Man, I am loving the Challenger Hellcat hype. Autoblog got some more details about it in an interview with Tim Kiniskis, head of Dodge.

The Hellcat will cost $59,900 for a base model. Not sure what the options will be.

The top speed is 199mph. 0-60mph in the "mid-threes."

It has a three-mode adaptive suspension and 15.4" front brakes.

It gets 20mpg on the highway.

There is a true "valet mode" that reduces power, forces a 4000-rpm rev limit, and forces second gear starts.

Amazing straight line power and such, I wonder how it will perform in the bends against an equally priced Corvette or Mustang of the same model year.

webguy20 wrote: »
    Amazing straight line power and such, I wonder how it will perform in the bends against an equally priced Corvette or Mustang of the same model year.

Against the Corvette I imagine it will be slower on any given track despite having much more power. Against a Mustang GT500 or GT350 it will be a closer fight. I believe I read somewhere that the Hellcat is only like 60lbs heavier than a Camaro ZL-1, so I imagine that if the suspension and brakes really have been tuned for performance, the Hellcat should be right up there with it.

i wonder if the interior will just be a steel frame and a momo wheel

because I don't see how they can pack that much grunt into a 60k price point and still have anything worth driving

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'd bet not particularly well. The Challenger is a great GT car but it's not much of a handler compared to a Mustang or Corvette primarily because of how heavy it is. That said, with the beefed up suspension and brakes it would probably do better than expected.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
This discussion has been closed.