Options

what's in a name?

245678

Posts

  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ty is pretty badass

  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Obie Trice

    real name no gimmicks

  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Put all together, my name could mean "crafter of the angelic beloved."

    C-cupid...???

    facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

    Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I was expecting a Star Trek reference in that post and it never came.

  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    my name is Daniel

    In Hebrew, "Dan" means "judge" and "El" is a name of God.

    Most people will tell you that Daniel means "God is my Judge"

    But a closer translation is "God's judge" (the 's is possessive, not a contraction).

    I really, really like my name. Not only am I a junior, but also when it comes to "-ologies" (astrology, numerology, etc), the only one that I really feel identifies me is nameology. Most of the other stuff, when I put in my info, gives a fairly generic and less than very accurate set of traits. The ones that apply to me arguably apply to just about everybody in one way or another.

    But nameology seems to hit the nail on the head.

    Hi, Michelle!

    hello tox

    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My name is pretty boring.

    But Anya is Annaleah Coraline.

    Annaleah is just a combination of 'Anna' and 'Leah' but really I was just thinking of this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aKFF6paEbE

    And Coraline is from this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO3n67BQvh0

    Yeah I'm a dork but I think it's still a pretty rad name.

  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Put all together, my name could mean "crafter of the angelic beloved."

    C-cupid...???

    Cupid is a dirty manipulator. I am the crafter, the smith, if you will.

  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    coraline is a very owny name

    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i'm gonna be 100% honest if i ever have a daughter it will be very hard not to name her charlotte after lottie from bad machinery because i'm a stupid fucking dork

    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    im not going to speak at length about my niece and nephew or mention their actual names, but my nephew's name was going to be "bastion" instead of bastian

    im still mad that wasnt the final pick

    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Put all together, my name could mean "crafter of the angelic beloved."

    C-cupid...???

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVv1T64QfU

  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My name is Pete(r), which means rock, if you smell what I'm cookin.

    I'm pretty sure it's more about the rock the church was built on, but St Peter was never the people's champ.

    My girlfriend bought me a pet rock (it was an inside joke), so I named it Peter.

    I am continuously frustrated when I tell people that I have a pet rock named Peter and they don't get it.

    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    and now a bunch of people are going to awesome that because it's apparently the funniest thing in the universe

  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

    What's that mean?

  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    and now a bunch of people are going to awesome that because it's apparently the funniest thing in the universe

    everyone knows the funniest thing in the universe is a fart

    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    and now a bunch of people are going to awesome that because it's apparently the funniest thing in the universe

    everyone knows the funniest thing in the universe is a fart

    if the british are to be trusted(and they aren't), it's a man in women's clothing

  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Portuguese names are crazy

    Back in the days of kings royalty would keep surnames for several generations, leading to silliness like Pedro V of Portugal, or his full name

    Pedro de Alcântara Maria Fernando Miguel Rafael Gonzaga Xavier João António Leopoldo Vítor Francisco de Assis Júlio Amélio

    Nowadays it's traditional to have only two given names and two surnames, one for each parent. When women get married they usually add their husbands surname to theirs, and rarely men will do the same. So married couples could run six surnames unless some of the names happen to be the same. Legally Portuguese residents can only be listed with four names max but this law is loosely enforced.

    My father started this family in the US and didn't feel the need to follow the tradition of his homeland so I have the western tradition of one given name and one surname from my fathers side. Alongside one Korean middle name not officially on my birth certificate because it was the cool thing to do in this church. My father always says my name of Samuel was based on the biblical figure and means "Name of God", but my mother insists my fathers reasoning was I was due on July 4th so I was gonna be Uncle Sam. Jokes on him I was born on Bastille Day. Just gotta wait for my older brother to finally have a kid and I can fulfill this failed prophecy.

    Last name can vary in translation from branding iron to stigma. As a kid growing up as the one white boy in a 90% black school the education of Slavery in America was a tense topic of figuring out 'should I feel guilty over this?' and 'oh jeez everyone here must hate me'. This was not helped by finding out about the Portuguese involvement in actually shipping slaves from the coasts of Africa to well near everywhere. It was incredibly ominous to figure out this meaning.

    Still on the stance of fuck interacting with a community I'm a worthless piece of trash gonna ollie on outie

    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    and now a bunch of people are going to awesome that because it's apparently the funniest thing in the universe

    maybe. its weird, its probably one of the few appropriate uses, context wise

    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I am in the extreme minority in that I do not give two shits what my first or last name 'means' or the etymology around the words themselves.

  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My father had a baby like a year a go. Named her after himself.

    Edwardnesha

    So, uh maybe a i dodged a bullet there.

    NeoToma on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    and now a bunch of people are going to awesome that because it's apparently the funniest thing in the universe

    shameless capitalist waste

    in the mother country three awesomes feed family of seventeen for entire week

  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I am in the extreme minority in that I do not give two shits what my first or last name 'means' or the etymology around the words themselves.

    Cool?

  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    what does it matter

    it doesn't matter

  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    My father had a baby like a year a go. Named her after himself.

    Edwardnesha

    So, uh maybe a i dodged a bullet there.

    That is, uh

    awkward

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    george forman

  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    what does it matter

    it doesn't matter

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvOge07GcO4

  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    my favorite song from that album is "chemical bomb"

    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It is super weird to me that the principal members of The Aquabats are Mormon

    like, not to generalize and say all Mormons are bad, because it's just bad to generalize

    but for some reason that just seems really weird to me

  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    My name was nearly "tanner" because my mom thought the kid from the bad news bears was funny.

  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    what does it matter

    it doesn't matter

    nothing really matters

    anyone can see

    nothing really matters, to me

  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Is the correct answer 'letters'?


  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    My name is James, which comes from Jacob. Jacob was a real jerk in the Bible, he stole his brother's blessing and made him cry and then spawned a bunch of terrible children. Not sure why it's such a popular name.

  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    what does it matter

    it doesn't matter
    Javen wrote: »
    I am in the extreme minority in that I do not give two shits what my first or last name 'means' or the etymology around the words themselves.

    both valid opinions. with regard to my reasoning for ye olde thread, im examining motive, and motive has hella significance.

    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Bed means "Sleepy place" and Lamb means "Young Sheep"

    So Bedlam means "place for young sleepy sheep"

    The more you know.

  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am pretty unexcited about my name.

    As is evidence on the forums, I am also too lazy to make up a nickname.

    It is a name and is gender accurate, this is good enough for me.

  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Whatever you say, Blanket.

  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    My name is Corey and I have no idea what it means. My mom apparently wanted to name me Hunter and my dad wanted Daniel but instead they went to my then 6 year old brother and he came up with Corey and here we are.

    Technically my birth certificate and all legal documents have it spelled Cory, but when I was of age to start learning to write my name my mom decided to throw that E in there just to make turning 18 even harder for me.

    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am pretty unexcited about my name.

    As is evidence on the forums, I am also too lazy to make up a nickname.

    It is a name and is gender accurate, this is good enough for me.

    There is a parallel universe where you lost that coin toss and Tube named you Teen Beard or something.

Sign In or Register to comment.