Options

what's in a name?

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    My first name is Robert which comes from an old Germanic name meaning radiant glory. My parents chose it just for the sound. I don't have a middle name. If I had been a girl, they would have named me Stefanie. Both are pretty common names in my age group, but not the worst.

My last name is one of those profession names, it means cask maker. Also quite common, but not as bad as (the German equivalents) of Smith and Miller. There's a couple alternative spellings of my last name, but they are rarer.

All in all my name isn't very remarkable, but I'm not unhappy with it.

• Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    So I just checked it out for the first time, and apparently my first name means "rules with elf-wisdom", my middle name means "defender of man", and my last name means "lives by the sea". So that's... pretty fucking cool.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I started watching the Clone Wars cartoon once it showed up on Netflix, I'd never seen even a second of it before today

And it's really good! Except when it's really not

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    My name is Judge.

tumblr_lwhtnbPgqH1qzbfsqo1_500.jpg

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    my first means "eternal ruler" and my middle means "that which surrounds and encompasses" and my last is also a profession name so eh

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    My first name is the feminine version of Charles, which is a family name on my mother's side. It means free man, which is, uh, great. I like the tradition of keeping the name, though. I feel very close to my mom's side of the family. Simone is my middle name, which I hated as a child, but I've grown to like it over the past few years, it means hear or listen.

My last name is O' Connell, and McCarthy on my mother's side. There are a lot of McCarthys on my dad's side too, since there are a good few clans in my area. O' Connell is from Ó Conaill which means hound or wolf of valour and dates back to the first 9th century.

As for the McCarthy name, we're badasses. The name goes back to 1045, while the clan goes back to the 3rd century and at one point the clan were kings of different kingdoms within Ireland. The name Finghin, or Fineen, which is Florence today (and Flurry colloquially) turns out to be a very common McCarthy name, which would explain all the relatives I have by that name.

Both of my family surnames have a stag in the crest (which has its own meaning in Irish families), and our mottos are "ciall agus neart" (sense/reason, and power) and the other is "nothing is difficult to the brave and the faithful".

Sorry for the ramble, but I nerd out a little over how far back I can trace my family names!

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    my first name is p damn common

I have no idea what my last name means

there are a few different kanji used to construct it but nobody i can just call up can recall the ones ours use. haven't looked all that hard but there are apparently at least nine different ways to "spell" my last name?

it was weird having a bunch of people refer to me by my last name in middle/high school. like none of the extended family i know even live in japan you guysss

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    my first name is eatin' pussy last name on a waterbed!!!! i love rock n roll

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    My name was to be George, which is of Greek origin meaning Farmer.

The reason behind this was that my father wanted his first born to be something great, like say a president. And so George was a strong name for president so George it was going to be.

I said was though, which @WuShock‌ can attest to, is not actually the case.

Because what happen was that shortly before my birth my father was deported due to his illegal status. He was sent back to Mexico, leaving my 16 year old mother alone.

So while my father was treking across the border running back to his pregnate about to pop wife, .... I was born.

Mother was not to well versed in the area and her English not to great, so when asked for my name she tried her best to spell the English equivalent to "Jorge", which would be my fathers preferred 'George'.

But alas the pain of birth and the drugs for the pain caused her to make a small error in her sons Naming Convention.

Thus my name is.... - Gorge
    gorge
    noun
    a narrow valley between hills or mountains, typically with steep rocky walls and a stream running through it.
    synonyms: ravine, canyon, gully, defile, couloir; More
    archaic
    the throat.
    the contents of the stomach.

verb
    verb: gorge; 3rd person present: gorges; past tense: gorged; past participle: gorged; gerund or present participle: gorging
    eat a large amount greedily; fill oneself with food.
    "the river comes alive during March when fish gorge on caddisworms"
    synonyms: stuff, cram, fill; devour, guzzle, gobble, gulp (down), wolf (down);
    informaldemolish, polish off, scoff (down), down, stuff one's face with;
    scarf (down/up)

My last name is Montoya
    Montoya is a Spanish name. It originated as a habitational name, given to people who lived in the village Montoya, located in the Basque region of Spain. The name itself was derived from the Spanish monte, meaning highland or hill

But most people will know if from the movie 'A Princess Bride'.
    Inigo Montoya: Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!
    Count Rugen: Stop saying that!
    Inigo Montoya: HELLO! MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA! YOU KILLED MY FATHER! PREPARE TO DIE!
    Inigo Montoya: Offer me money.
    Count Rugen: Yes!
    Inigo Montoya: Power, too, promise me that.
    Count Rugen: All that I have and more. Please…
    Inigo Montoya: Offer me anything I ask for.
    Count Rugen: Anything you want…
    Inigo Montoya: I want my father back, you son of a bitch!

So you know, there's that.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness

Do you actually go by gorge???

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Gorge-is.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My name is Katherine which doesn't mean anything interesting. I think my parents thoughts on the matter extended to if they liked how it sounded, and making sure it doesn't get shortened into anything dumb.

Kate is fine. I feel like a Kate.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My name is Julia. Nope, not Leah. Julia, Liiya.

Its the feminine form of Julius, it means youthful. Which I guess I am.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I knew your name for like a year before I managed to make that connection.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    My nephew got named Elias, pronounced with the silent S.

Which made me laugh when I first found out because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkmUxFhYGY8

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    In Judaism, to give something a name is to give it a shape. You can see that from the very beginning of the Jewish bible: God gives Adam the job of naming everything in the garden, and at the same time He grants Adam dominion over it. Until something is named, it doesn't properly exist. Naming a person or object lets you wield incredible influence over them: you grant their existence and no matter what happens in that way you will always be part of their lives. Like many aspects of the religion something about this has always resonated with me, and I have an incredibly difficult time even naming pets. It feels like a tremendous responsibility.

My name is Rebecca. My mom said she always liked the name, but I read somewhere once that it means "noose" and I was like "thanks, jerk." The various unpleasant meanings it was given refer to the way she tricked Isaac which, even though it was at God's behest, many have noted as being kind of dickish. I once talked to a rabbi who said I shouldn't feel so bad - Rebecca and Isaac are the only of the founding couples that are described as truly loving each other reciprocally and doing things like having sex for fun instead of just out of a duty to make more babies. She was also tremendously kind to animals.

Anyway, I don't really care about that. Maybe it's because my name is so common, or because I find it boring and unremarkable, or because I've never felt like a Rebecca or even comfortable in my own body at all, but I've always been far, far more interested in the names people give themselves online. THAT name says it all to me, not just about who you think you are, but about who you want to be. It's our attempt to shape ourselves into who we want to be and tell each other who we really are.

The name I use given half a chance is "ceres" with a little "c" because as a person I feel like I am little and I am largely okay with that. In fact, it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people here capitalize it, as though they feel I must have made some mistake. When it's important I can be bigger, and that's where the rest of it comes in. I've always been kind of embarrassed about where I got it, which is silly but I didn't want to be just another person with an anime name, so I told people something something hearth goddess. Because THAT sounds less lame. When I give people my email address I brush it off, saying I was in college when I made it and can't be bothered to change it, which is technically true.

Ayashi no Ceres was my favorite anime for a long, long time back when I still watched anime, and I have always been intrigued by the character (Ceres). She has blue hair and brown eyes. I have blue hair and brown eyes. It's unrelated, but I enjoy it nonetheless. She is a creature from another world who fell in love with a man here who loved her, fathered her children, and then became drunk on her power and trapped her here. With no body of her own left, she became cursed to reincarnate over and over through her female descendants, at which point she was tortured and killed by her male descendants who feared her until one tried to keep her alive long enough to exploit her power again. He had some weird mommy issues or something, but then I guess they all did. Happy, right?

Her final reincarnation was to a girl who was normal, boring, and meek. She could barely cross the street unaided let alone protect herself from her crazy ass family who was definitely about to try to murder her. When they get to that point she collapses into a useless puddle, at which point Ceres takes over and keeps her from committing suicide-by-failing-to-run-away, and destroying a lot of expensive-looking furniture in the process. She takes over for Aya and does for her when Aya is too weak to do for herself. I relate to that person who sleeps inside, waiting for a crisis and with it a chance to be free and shine, and wanting more than anything to just go home. She takes over for this shell when it is too weak to do for itself and one day I would like to be able to be all her. I would shed my ego and just be the person who does.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    this thread has got me listening to world war two newsreels by the famous canadian war reporter who happens to bear my name

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My first name translates from latin to warlike/martial. I am named after a boy my mom took care of when she was younger and a nurse at a childrens hospital.

My middle name is scandinavian and means holy/healthy. My dad wanted each of his children to have a name that was more or less typical for the region his family came from.

My last name is not very common itself, but it ends on -inga which is common for old frisian names.

honovere on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    The name I use given half a chance is "ceres" with a little "c" because as a person I feel like I am little and I am largely okay with that. In fact, it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people here capitalize it, as though they feel I must have made some mistake.

Hey, this is the same for me. I deliberately didn't capitalise smof and it's not "supposed" to be capitalised. It doesn't annoy me really though, and half the time my phone autocorrects it as Smof and I can't even be bothered to change it.

The story of my online name is that when I was a teen and drew all the time, I had a friend I used to draw with. In breaks at college or when hanging out we would always bring along paper and just do tons of random drawings to amuse ourselves and other friends. It became a thing that whatever we drew we would incorporate little stick men dying in various ways in the picture. This became our favourite thing to doodle and my books and work notes would always be covered in stick men falling off of things or being eaten by monsters or decapitated or whatever.

My favourite one became drawing a little stick man on fire and I started using it as a signature in everything I drew. Later I went through a very brief graffiti phase (brief because I suck so much at graff) and needed a tag for myself. So stick man on fire became smof. I quickly abandoned graffiti but kept the name smof and signed my pictures with it, then it just found its way online.

I like it a lot, it's been with me so long. I think I probably identify with the name smof more than my actual name.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    My first name is the name of my father's father and my mother's older brother. I'm sure of you asked either of them which of the two I was named after, you'd get a different response. They're both pretty rad people, and It was that or "Don Jr.", so I'm happy with the result. Meaning wise, Douglas translates to "dark stream" .

When I was 19 I legally changed my last name to my mother's maiden name, because its what I've used all my life. Farrell means "man of great valor" which is pretty awesome, and we have a cool looking crest (golden lion rampant on a green shield) and an excellent family motto. "Prodesse Non Nocere" (To do good, not to do evil.)

• Options
    Well, the story of my OLD online name. Before @Hermano ruined everything.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My name is almost meaningless. My first name comes from Elizabeth, but is so far removed that no one makes the connection... I didn't until highschool when I looked it up one day.
    My last name comes from who knows where. My paternal grandfather's family is from the south, and had been from the south for a long time. They are white, so are primarily descended from some European country somewhere. But where exactly is lost. Looked it up on one of those websites that can give you your family crest or wherever nonsense and was given a Welsh or Irish origin. But the name had changed quite a bit since moving to the states.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My name has letters in it, those letters spell Michael.

Michael begs the question "Who is like God?" - which is a more rhetorical question as no-one is like God. Some kind of Hebrew philosophy. Michael was also an Archangel who had a flaming sword and rode dragons. So that's pretty cool.

Someone give me a dragon.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Well my real name means
    Scotsman
    What was once a profession is now a hobby Hunter
    and Spear Brave

My Middle name makes my brothers mad as they got either my Grandfather's name Willaim or what my father's name was supposed to be Randall

Brainleech on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    My name is Gary,
    Supposedly comes from a German word meaning spear.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Pfft, "Gary"

You and everyone else, eh? Get out of here unless you're going to take this seriously.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I named my dog Eli because when I started rattling off names when he was younger, it was the only one his ears perked up at.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My brother named his Dachshund Grendel because of that reason
    He kept calling names to see which one she would respond to and kept getting blown off
    He said out of frustration Grendel she perked up her ears and wagged her tail

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Pfft, "Gary"

You and everyone else, eh? Get out of here unless you're going to take this seriously.

It's those Garys with two r's in their name who don't take the name Gary seriously!

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    Surprisingly my name means angel! Or messenger of God for a slightly longer way of saying it.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My first is David. Very common.
    Last name is apparently a Cornish name, the original root meaning 'valley' in Celtic.

I have two middle names, the first named after my paternal grandfather who died before my sister or I were born. Missed being born on his birthday by one day. My mom was upset by that, but that's more to do with the 30 hours of labor. My second middle name is just named after my dad. I'm told that they have nice flow when run all together. A guy told me he'd vote for me if I ever ran for president based on my name alone. As a child, the only time I typically heard all four was when I was in trouble with my mom.

My online name comes from when I was in high-school I once played an online match of Starcraft with a couple friends and saw a guy with the handle TwofistedDeath in the lobby and for whatever reason I thought it was cool. A couple months later when creating a character on a MUD I tried to use that name, but it wouldn't fit, so I abused it phonetically until it did. I stuck with that MUD for a long time and got so used to being called by that, that I just adopted it pretty much everywhere. And since it's such a silly name, it's always available.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My given names are Benjamin Morgan, and my last name is terribly boring. Amusingly enough, the order of how interesting each one is, is the same order.

My Grandpa is from England, so it's pretty clear where my surname comes from. Historically, there really isn't much on its origin. Likely a nickname turned surname, for whatever reason for each individual.

My given names have little in terms of motive behind them- my father favoured Morgan as a name for me, but my mother really didn't like it as a first name. My father was adamant about using it, though, so it became my middle name. He actually can't remember why he was so fixated on it; he just liked (and still likes) the name and the sound of the word itself. As for its origin... It's an old Celtic male name, likely originating from the name Morcant which is probably derived from 'mor'- sea- and cant- circle- which ends up meaning sea chief or sea defender. It has a fun female origin too, as a likely mistake by Geoffrey of Monmouth in his Arthurian legend writings where, instead of the French Morgene Le Fay he left off that final e to make it Morgen Le Fay. From there, it became Morgan, and ended up the most common spelling of the name for females.

It's a neat surname, too, with the most probable origin being the Welsh family of Morgan ap Llewelyn from 1330, in which case it roughly means 'great kingdom' or 'great hundred'.

My first name has a pretty obvious origin for anyone even slightly familiar with Biblical Old Testament history. There's a whole bunch of different potential meanings, or reasons, behind the name and I find that rather interesting in and of itself. My parents chose it for rather mundane reasons, though: they wanted a name that wasn't really uncommon, but also one that wasn't (at the time) all that common. Looking through a list of names they settled on Benjamin because, well, it fit that criteria and they liked the sound of it.

According to the Torah, the name was originally from Jacob deliberately corrupting the name 'Benoni', which was originally meant to be an allusion to Rachel dying during his birth (since the name meant 'son of my pain'- how lovely...). From there, it can mean 'song of my right (hand)'- which is a reference to strength and virtue. But amusingly the root for the word 'right' can also be used for 'south', making another literal translation 'son of the south'. There are some arguments for which meaning was intended by Jacob, with 'son of the south' being a reference to Benjamin being born in Canaan whereas Joseph was born to the north in Aram. 'son of the right' has more of a basis in the idea that the tribe of Benjamin was bound to be somewhat subservient to the tribe of Ephraim (though 'son of the south' works here too...).

The Pentateuch has the name written slightly different, with a 'mem' at the end instead, giving us 'Benjamim' or 'Binyaamem'- which winds up being either 'spirit man' or 'son of my days', with the latter being a possible reference to Jacob being super old when he was born.

Whatever the original meaning, the name today is pretty commonly associated with the bearer being the youngest son of a family- the 'Benjamin of the family' or the like. Aptly enough, I am the youngest of two sons.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    my name's meaning is 'unknown'

aptly describes me huehueh

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    my name's meaning is 'unknown'

aptly describes me huehueh

This reminds me of Katherine Kerr's Devery Cycle, where there is a character called 'Nevyn' which, in their language, means 'no one'.

Which is then frequently used as an amusing device when he gets introduced to different people.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My name is Abhishek
    like a milkshake with honey (or bees) in it

a bee shake

not a short "a"- as in "fast"- a regular, use-in-a-sentence "a", pronounced "uh"

Uh bee shake

I don't like my name
    and it isn't because of internalized xenophobia
    I don't like its meaning (a ceremony and the water/milk used in that ceremony), the sound of it compared to other Hindu/Nepali names, and the way in which it was given to me
    the last one is the worst
    my cultural background within Nepali culture is old money patriarchy (no I ain't got no stacks), so you know: sexist, racist, and classist. So the naming rights were taken from my mother
    you know, the person who started the bio-geo-chemical process that is me
    and given to my stupid dork ass cousins because of course my mom was a woman and not fucking up to my dad's family's asshole wealth standards despite their son being married to her

I shortened it to its first and last letters, so friends call me A.K.
    I didn't know about the gun at the time
    Through making fun of my name, and some Cumberbatching, the name Applejacks Grimoire emerged
    and it tickles me pink

sorry
    it was my birthday on Friday
    and in some misguided attempt at self reflection
    I might have disappeared up my own ass

Tam on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    My name means that one day someone will make a Highlander reference for the last time and I will black out and wake up clutching a human heart with my ragged claws

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I6FwztK.jpg?1
    9cTdvO5.jpg?1
    twyrBQK.jpg?1
    U4fqmnS.jpg?1

wandering on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I love that story

• Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Callum from Gaelic means Dove apparently.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    It just started snowing.

Happy Spring everyone!

(thanks global warming!)

Bedlam on