Options

what's in a name?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    In happier news, Baby Crow!

EeEk5HM.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The story that we tell about how I got my name probably isn't true, but we tell it anyways

My father is big into bicycles. He has pretty much never had a job in his adult life that did not relate to bicycles. He's been a bicycle mechanic, owned a bike shop, and currently is a travelling sales representative for various bicycle and bicycle adjacent companies. He raced bicycles for years, runs a cyclecross race that is apparently kind of a big deal, and so on.

Needless to say, he's pretty into watching the Tour De France, which for years was the only professional cycling race that you could ever find on television.

Now normally when you're watching the Tour, you watch the reruns- live broadcast would be in the middle of the night. But one night in July, 1989, my father was forced to be awake for a very long time, on account of my mother being in labor. And the story goes, that early morning, he was watching the Tour and Greg LeMond was winning, and that is where I got my name.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    My name means that one day someone will make a Highlander reference for the last time and I will black out and wake up clutching a human heart with my ragged claws

Kurgan is a cool name tho

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Stephen Andrew Garlo here. Stephen means crown. My last name is Americanized from Garguilio.

My oldest son is Grayson Maddox Garlo
    Grayson means "son of a gray haired man" do it makes perfect sense and it sounds bitching with Garlo.
    Youngest son is Morgan Andrew Garlo which means from the sea which I guess makes sense we did live in Coastal Florida when he was born.

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    crwth wrote: »

im very happy that an earlier redman album cover is a cgi chibi redman that looks like parappa the rapper

same
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_E_pbMj91E
    oh god ive just been watching this the whole time ya'll have been posting

crwth say hello to the greatest wrestling game ever at all

one of the moves is WC c-walking to do west coast gang signs as a final finisher

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular

im very happy that an earlier redman album cover is a cgi chibi redman that looks like parappa the rapper

same
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_E_pbMj91E
    oh god ive just been watching this the whole time ya'll have been posting

crwth say hello to the greatest wrestling game ever at all

one of the moves is WC c-walking to do west coast gang signs as a final finisher

that game is legit as fuck

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    redman - IMMA RIP YA TONGUE OUT AN LICK MY ASS WITH IT

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I started watching the Clone Wars cartoon once it showed up on Netflix, I'd never seen even a second of it before today

And it's really good! Except when it's really not

it only gets better

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    actually there's nothing good about star wars because it's stupid nerd shit :sunglasses:

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    my name's meaning is 'unknown'

aptly describes me huehueh

Odo?

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    My dad's name is O'Grady or Ó'Grádigh, meaning illustrious. The crest is 3 white-yellow lions, which is p-cool. My family is also one of the few left in Ireland to have a chief with a title recognised by the Irish government.

My mam's is Garcia, an old spanish name, with a meaning no one really agrees on anymore. It's crest is either an eagle or a condor which is also cool.

Good names for an Irish-Ecuadorian

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Well, the story of my OLD online name. Before @Hermano ruined everything.

Such ingratitude! Well that's the last time I suggest any awful name changes for you, Brovid!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    My name is Andrew, which basically just means swole, I think. If memory serves it shares roots with the Greek for male or masculine, I forget the details though.

My name is Fyndir which came straight out of an online name generating page when I wanted a username that sounded like an actual name for a game (I think UO). I believe I set it to present me with a list of masculine Elf names in the style of Tolkien, and then just scrolled through that list until something caught my eye.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2014
    I'm named after a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm4BrZjY_Sg

(My parents secretly wanted a horse.)

tynic on
  • Options
    here i was thinking your parents secretly wanted america

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well that's no secret!

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    My name happens to be Alex. Not Alexis or Alexander, or any other combination. My parents thought about naming me Michael, but my dad isn't too fond of that name so it didn't happen.

Until I was born, they called me Egbert.

I don't quite care for my middle name and tend to make all of my official documents just the initial when I can. Sometimes someone wants to put my full name on something and we have a back and forth over that they're only getting the initial.

My parents did name my brother in such a way that his initials spell out JET.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    My name means that one day someone will make a Highlander reference for the last time and I will black out and wake up clutching a human heart with my ragged claws

Kurgan is a cool name tho

Too bad I'm just "The"

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    English equivalent of my name is Charles George, so if my grandparents had kept their last name I would've been Free-man Earth-worker Free-man's son.

I have no idea how they chose their new last name. There's apparently a version of it recorded in the Domesday Book. It's also a small town in Portugal. I'm not sure they were aware of any of that.

There's apparently an american attorney who shares my name. He has a yahoo email adress for his business. This makes me sad.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Pfft, "Gary"

You and everyone else, eh? Get out of here unless you're going to take this seriously.

It's those Garys with two r's in their name who don't take the name Gary seriously!

Grary?

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hIjgofcuWU

*dr dre voice* YEAAAAAAAAH

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »

oh boy when I visit San Antonio...

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

Names, eh?
    Officer Garth Mason was on Market Street at 6:37 p.m. when he saw a car, operated by Landocalrissan Butler, 27, of Winnikee Avenue, speeding and moving into the officer’s lane, almost striking his car, said Deputy Chief Tom Ghee.

Mason attempted to pull Butler’s vehicle over, Ghee said, but Butler allegedly did not comply and would not stop his vehicle.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    My name is Branden

From behindthename.com it's "From a surname which was derived from a place name meaning "hill covered with broom" in Old English."

yep

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Tam wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »

oh boy when I visit San Antonio...

Neat thing, neither my brother or I respond to nicknames of any kind.

Yukira on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    There is someone on a certain kink dot com named stefanos. I WAS JUST SLAPPED IN THE FACE BY HIM EEEEEEEEEEE

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Brian
    Celtic name of indeterminate origin. Wikipedia indicates that bre is an Irish element meaning "hill", and that the name may metaphorically mean "high" or "noble". In Old Occitan, the word means "maggot". Other sources claim it is a variant of the Celtic name "Brigonos", which literally means "High Hill". Still others believe it to be derived from the root bri, which means strength, force, or valor.

Allan
    Variant spelling of the Breton name "Alan", which has variously been used to refer to foxes and deer depending on the era in which it was used. It has also been put forward that the name may refer to the Alans, a group of originally-Samaritan nomads who migrated throughout Europe and the North-Western African coast. There is also a Celtic tradition of the name, descending from the word ailin, which literally means "little rock".

Fattorini
    A purely Italian surname derived from the Italian word "fattore", which , in addition to sharing a root with the mathematical process of factoring and the noun "factory" (being derived from the Latin word "factor"- to do or to make), referred to the individual who managed a landowner's farm(s); that is to say, a steward.

I love words.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Well, @sarukun just posted my first name (Brian) and a couple people have mentioned my middle (Andrew). My last name is a form of another name which is a status name for a peasant or something that means 'neighbor' or 'fellow citizen'. So I guess all together it could mean Noble Neighbor Man? I dunno, seems silly.

My middle name was originally going to be Christopher because my mom liked that name. It means "bearing Christ", so I guess I would've been Noble Christ-Bearing Neighbor then. Sort of a lateral move, I guess.

However! If I was a girl, my mom swore up and down to my grandmother that I would be named Penelope Candace. Penelope is kind of a weird name since it either means a type of duck, or something that makes me think of a blindfold (half the name means "threads weft" or threads weaved full, and the other means "face, eye", so I guess draw your own conclusion.) Candace means "Queen Mother" which is surprisingly cool.

My, uh...my mom didn't really care about all that or think of it. She just said that she would name me that because she could short-hand it to Penny Candy and that apparently made my grandmother angry every time she heard it.

If I have a daughter, I'm -really- hoping I'll be able to name her Minerva Claire, because not only does it just sound pretty and flows well, but it means "Intellect" and "Clear, Bright, Famous" respectively. So, I think it's a good name, at least.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Protector, small champion, son of Richard

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Heather like the flower. Snow like snow.

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    My mom wanted to name me Kenzie, my dad said no no no thats a nickname he needs a REAL name
    so my name is Kenneth
    but up until like two years ago even my dad has been accidentally filling out legal paperwork and medical stuff with the name Kenzie. Woops

As a girls name it means "fair one" or something else that i'm totally okay with

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    apparently there's some italian jazz guy with my name that fucks up all my google egosearches

• Options
    also don't name your kid after yourself that is a bullshit thing to do

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I mean I like my name fine but man why would I name my kid after myself

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    First name is Gaelic for 'dark river', middle name is Greek for farmer and my last name is the same as some small fishing and sheep herding village all the way in the north of the Isle of Lewis.

• Options
    my name is michael

sometimes I think it might be the most boring, mundane name imaginable

which means it suits me perfectly

• Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    I was named after my father and apparently it's tradition that first born sons ... blah blah blah.

I've always wondered why parents get to name their children things.
    I think children should be named after their parents untill they come of age and then should have to choose their own.

If you could have chosen your own name, what would it have been?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    They say it's a mistake to let your kid choose his own name, but my son Spider-man is doing fine!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My father specifically came up with short, non-Cuban names for my brother and I because he absolutely hates how his Cuban family has nicknames for everyone. Like, Ramon becomes Mongo, Raymond becomes Chucho or Papo, etc. My Dad really dislikes this for whatever reason. Maybe he didn't like whatever nickname people had for his name.

So, that's how my name ended up being Eric. I have a feeling my mom had a hand in this due to her love of all things Disney and Prince Eric from the Little Mermaid. Sometimes I kind of feel like I have a nickname though, given how different people pronounce my name. The Cuban family does something closer to Eh-reek than Eric. And now here in Japan my students call me Erikku-teacher. Which is just adorable.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    If you could have chosen your own name, what would it have been?

Max Power

vEaRQgH.png