Options

what's in a name?

123468

Posts

  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ramon becomes Mongo?

    That seems vaguely insulting, maybe because add a few letters and it's 'mongoloid' which is oh god man I feel bad for even typing that

  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Ramon becomes Mongo?

    That seems vaguely insulting, maybe because add a few letters and it's 'mongoloid' which is oh god man I feel bad for even typing that

    Given the Cuban pronunciation of Mongo it would be odd to confuse to for mongoloid, though I can see the connection when it is typed out like this.

    But, it is definitely said with endearment. I think Ramon becomes Mongo, at least, because I have always just called him Mongo. I have a really hard time keeping straight the real names on the Cuban side of my family, and who I am actually related to and who is just a family friend. Because everyone gets called Uncle and Aunt even if they aren't. Mongo is always Tio Mongo to me, though I am fairly certain I have no actual blood relation to him? But then again I might.

  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    If you could have chosen your own name, what would it have been?

    Max Power

    Middle name?

    Danger

  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    my name means welsh witch or nymph princess, depending on which book you want to go with.

    my middle name apparently means: in german: 'made famous in battle', in latin it means 'sea gull'

    welsh witch seagull. ooookay.

  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    If I had to choose a name, it'd be...

    Max Power.

  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I always like hearing the logic and poetry behind names, and pretty recently got around to applying some of my thoughts about the mutability of names to myself. I now go by Erica to my friends and family and employers who are cool with hiring non-cis folks. I always thought changing my name would be me trying to attract all this attention to myself, but the switchover has been really effortless and affirming.

    There's still the matter of the Christopher, which does still hold a pretty big place in my mind as The Name I Go By. I don't find it abhorrent or anything, but it doesn't feel like it's very specific to me beyond the habit of answering to it. Then there's my middle name, Robert. Robert is also my dad's name. He an old, well-meaning stoner, and naming me after himself is so out of character that I think I have attached a great deal of importance to "Robert", since it obviously meant something to my father. If I get my name legally changed, I think I will try to preserve "Christopher-Robert" in the middle there.

  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Raijin and I seem to share the first two names, both of which are Greek in origin meaning wreath or crown and manly or strong respectively.

    As near as I can find in a 2 minute google my last name is either an alternate spelling of valley or the Irish version is assembly. Which also means I share a name with the lower house of the Irish parliament.

  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    also don't name your kid after yourself that is a bullshit thing to do

    What if I'm amazing.

  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My father specifically came up with short, non-Cuban names for my brother and I because he absolutely hates how his Cuban family has nicknames for everyone. Like, Ramon becomes Mongo, Raymond becomes Chucho or Papo, etc. My Dad really dislikes this for whatever reason. Maybe he didn't like whatever nickname people had for his name.

    So, that's how my name ended up being Eric. I have a feeling my mom had a hand in this due to her love of all things Disney and Prince Eric from the Little Mermaid. Sometimes I kind of feel like I have a nickname though, given how different people pronounce my name. The Cuban family does something closer to Eh-reek than Eric. And now here in Japan my students call me Erikku-teacher. Which is just adorable.

    Wait, did I know you were Cuban before this?

    Because I'm pretty sure I am the only other Cuban guy who has ever visited Japan.

    :P

  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Ramon becomes Mongo?

    That seems vaguely insulting, maybe because add a few letters and it's 'mongoloid' which is oh god man I feel bad for even typing that

    Given the Cuban pronunciation of Mongo it would be odd to confuse to for mongoloid, though I can see the connection when it is typed out like this.

    But, it is definitely said with endearment. I think Ramon becomes Mongo, at least, because I have always just called him Mongo. I have a really hard time keeping straight the real names on the Cuban side of my family, and who I am actually related to and who is just a family friend. Because everyone gets called Uncle and Aunt even if they aren't. Mongo is always Tio Mongo to me, though I am fairly certain I have no actual blood relation to him? But then again I might.

    "This is my cousin ________."

    "Man, uh... your cousin sure is.... way darker than you."

    "Well... when I say 'cousin'...."

  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My father specifically came up with short, non-Cuban names for my brother and I because he absolutely hates how his Cuban family has nicknames for everyone. Like, Ramon becomes Mongo, Raymond becomes Chucho or Papo, etc. My Dad really dislikes this for whatever reason. Maybe he didn't like whatever nickname people had for his name.

    So, that's how my name ended up being Eric. I have a feeling my mom had a hand in this due to her love of all things Disney and Prince Eric from the Little Mermaid. Sometimes I kind of feel like I have a nickname though, given how different people pronounce my name. The Cuban family does something closer to Eh-reek than Eric. And now here in Japan my students call me Erikku-teacher. Which is just adorable.

    Wait, did I know you were Cuban before this?

    Because I'm pretty sure I am the only other Cuban guy who has ever visited Japan.

    :P

    I'm only half Cuban, the rest is half Dutch (mostly).

    Small world, eh?

  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My father specifically came up with short, non-Cuban names for my brother and I because he absolutely hates how his Cuban family has nicknames for everyone. Like, Ramon becomes Mongo, Raymond becomes Chucho or Papo, etc. My Dad really dislikes this for whatever reason. Maybe he didn't like whatever nickname people had for his name.

    So, that's how my name ended up being Eric. I have a feeling my mom had a hand in this due to her love of all things Disney and Prince Eric from the Little Mermaid. Sometimes I kind of feel like I have a nickname though, given how different people pronounce my name. The Cuban family does something closer to Eh-reek than Eric. And now here in Japan my students call me Erikku-teacher. Which is just adorable.

    Wait, did I know you were Cuban before this?

    Because I'm pretty sure I am the only other Cuban guy who has ever visited Japan.

    :P

    I'm only half Cuban, the rest is half Dutch (mostly).

    Small world, eh?

    I am also only half-cuban.

    The rest is Sicilian and Puerto Rican.

    Gonna marry me a Chinese lady, mess them kids up real good.

  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    also don't name your kid after yourself that is a bullshit thing to do

    What if I'm amazing.

    Same first name might be a little egotistical unless the name really seems to suit your kid. I think if you give them your first as their middle name that doesn't seem too bad? Or maybe I'm just biased, I have my Dad's middle name. He's awesome and it's a nice name (David), so I'm pretty happy. I was almost called Ryan, it was a bit of a tossup between my name and Ryan, and my parents decided that Christopher was the right choice.

  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    My father's first name was Felipe, which meant "friend of horses". Our last name is Carreon, which means, well, carrion.
    He wanted me to be named after him, as a Junior. (which basically what I just now realized is Horsebuddy Deadmeat, Jr.) My mother wanted none of that, and in a form of last-ditch name change, I was named Jesus Felipe.

    I go by Jeff among friends. But in the office, some other dude named Jeff already came before me, so I had to go by "JC" at work. This has happened in multiple workplaces. Sometimes the lazier ones would call me "Jace".

  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    also don't name your kid after yourself that is a bullshit thing to do

    What if I'm amazing.

    Same first name might be a little egotistical unless the name really seems to suit your kid. I think if you give them your first as their middle name that doesn't seem too bad? Or maybe I'm just biased, I have my Dad's middle name. He's awesome and it's a nice name (David), so I'm pretty happy. I was almost called Ryan, it was a bit of a tossup between my name and Ryan, and my parents decided that Christopher was the right choice.

    I also have my dad's name as my middle name. I don't think about it very often, but I think I quite like it.


    I really do wanna marry this lovely Taiwanese lady I've been seeing for many years now. Gonna make sure the kids have Nice proper English names and a completely separate set of Chinese names. Gonna see if they can legally get each set in the appropriate passport, or if there's any problem with how dual citizenship works.

  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    If you could have chosen your own name, what would it have been?

    Max Power

    Middle name?

    Danger

    my first and middle names are max stone xavier, close enough

  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My name is Sarah, which is Hebrew for Princess. My middle name is Abigail, which is Hebrew for Joy of the Father.

    I am definitely my daddy's little girl, his princess and totally his joy. Nailed it.

    I was originally going to be Samantha, because my mom wanted to call me Tammy (her favorite movie was Tammy & the Bachelor). But then my great-grandmother Sarah died and as is Jewish tradition, I was named after her to keep part of her memory alive. Although tradition states that the name doesn't need to be the full name, just the initial.

    If/When I have kids, the first born will carry on the naming tradition of the other side of my family, which is to have the middle name of Lindsay, after our the scottish clan our family is from. I like the names Leona and Elliot for first names.


    My handle is actually a combination of the names for my first 2 roleplaying characters online. Lonely Eyes (yes I know not original at all, she was a gypsy traveller type character) and Ahava (who has been so many things I can't even name them). Ahava is actually a Hebrew verb, which means "To Love". But it just sounds so much prettier than the gender conjugated ones....

  • Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    My surname is 'Nuttall', which is apparently a 7th century Lancashire name deriving from an older word (hnutu) meaning 'Secluded Place'. I never cared to look before, but I'm quite glad I did now.

    uGn5f.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    my name is ross marshall and both those names are boring + shite

    ross is red in gaelic (thankfully im not ginger)

    no middle name because fuck you

  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It was tres chic when I grew up a lot of the kids used their middle name for various reasons

  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When I was in High School I went to school with someone named Crimston
    He was really to be named Crimson his mother was one of those in and out of a drug habit
    Drugs are Bad kids

    I also went to school with someone my mother solved a question she had
    The Woman who lived across the street from my mother disappeared one day and did not reappear for a few years
    So I kind of had a friendship with someone and one day he said yes that is my mother
    And then my mother stops pauses for quite sometime and said thank you I often wondered what happened to her for those years

  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Taskman wrote: »
    My surname is 'Nuttall', which is apparently a 7th century Lancashire name deriving from an older word (hnutu) meaning 'Secluded Place'. I never cared to look before, but I'm quite glad I did now.

    I thought hnutu just meant 'nut'?

    My surname is also from the darkness of Saxon Lancashire, they had a lot of weird sounds.

    Full name translates as "graced by god, nice cleavage", which would probably work better if I wasn't a chap.

  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    mully wrote: »
    my name means welsh witch or nymph princess, depending on which book you want to go with.

    my middle name apparently means: in german: 'made famous in battle', in latin it means 'sea gull'

    welsh witch seagull. ooookay.

    Yeah but

    Princess Battlenymph

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Jonathan is such a boring name I swear.

    At least I'm not one of the like, 10 Stevens I know.

  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    And hey at least I'm not one of those poor kids born in the Post Twilight name craze.

    I don't think I could live with being named for a vampire or werewolf.

  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    My Mom named me Adam not because I was my parents first kid or anything like that.

    It was because one of the little kids she was teaching while pregnant with me shouted out "HEY ADAM" to his buddy on the playground and she liked the sound of it.

  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My Uncle apparently jokingly tried to get my mom to name one of us Hugo Gomez McGee

    My mom was having none of that.

  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Is there a reliable site with first and last name meanings/history?

  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    And hey at least I'm not one of those poor kids born in the Post Twilight name craze.

    I don't think I could live with being named for a vampire or werewolf.

    There are now probably thousands of little girls named Renesmee...

  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Is there a reliable site with first and last name meanings/history?

    I haven't looked in a while but I'm still looking right now for information on Irish version of the Surname McGee

    I know my grandfather's family came over rather late into the 1800s I believe and I know they were Irish and not Scottish (Trust me he would Tell You) but it's being difficult to look into.

  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Edward was a pretty good name once.

    Once.

  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    My Uncle apparently jokingly tried to get my mom to name one of us Hugo Gomez McGee

    My mom was having none of that.
    gomez is a great fucking name

    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I always secretly liked my middle name most.

    I feel like Mathew is an underrated name.

    Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, my dad wanted to name me Buford. Mom said, "N.O."

  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    my name is thomas warren glennon, i was named for my grandfathers, who died before i was born

    thomas means "twin," warren basically means "park ranger"

    googled up the meaning of my surname and
    The surname Glennon is Anglicized form of the Gaelic Patronymic name Mag Leannáin, meaning "son of Leannán." The root word of this name is "leann," meaning "cloak."
    huh okay whatever

    i have always thought that warren is the cooler name; sorry, dad's dad

    if i ever had a son i'd try very hard to name him gomez, and would be very disappointed when the hypothetical mother put her foot down

    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My mom wanted to name me Todd. I'm glad my dad talked her out of it.

    My name means God's peace, which ok I guess.

  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Double post

    Joolander on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    The best name is a tie between

    Stacker Pentecost
    and
    Casanova Frankenstein

  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh man.

    Mystery Men...

  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I've always liked Sarah as a name. I use it for one of my story characters and as the name of a few of my MMO characters.

    Ian is my technical first name, and is (was?) a popular Gaelic originated English name meaning Gift of God. I am called Ian by many people who meet me for the first time primarily because they read it on a legal document, so I usually associate it with that. I don't use it myself because it's my father's first name as well, and the reason I was named that way to begin with.

    Michael is my middle name and the one I generally use. It means Who is like God. Seeing as I am an egotistical artsy type who likes to create a lot of cool worlds in my head, and I just recently started a game design program, I feel that it is quite an appropriate name in it's own way.

    Andrews is my last name. Apparently it's related to an offshoot of the Scottish Anderson clan or somesuch in the context of a last name. I never really paid it much mind, though I have been called Andrew because of it.

    Line the initials up and you get IMA. I often like to use this as a joke, like IMA Genius.

    488W936.png
Sign In or Register to comment.