As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prime 2014 Hotel Discussion (official hotels are not live)

• DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Oh wow, so a two occupancy room with two beds would be even cheaper then, right? :3 Definitely something to keep in mind!

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Heh, looks nice enough, thank you very much. :3

Did they offer any fruit at all, or would be something that I would need to buy from the store?
    I think there was some fruit, but I'm not 100% sure there was. I'm a night owl, so getting up early enough for when PAX starts in the morning (and to get the free breakfast) makes me not the most coherent person in the world. :)
    Hmm, so there is a PAX discount that some hotels offer. Generally how much is that? And does it change the daily rate at all? I see people talking about how this hotel, such as Homewood, is so and so many dollars per night, but when checking out their site, the prices vary from different nights... has me a little confused and concerned.
    As others have said, there is a PAX group rate, but you have to reserve your room via OnPeak, unless you are lucky and can get the hotel to price match outside of it.

Of course, going through OnPeak has it's own potential problems, like being shuffled to a different room than what you asked for (this bit a few people in the rear at the Homewood last year, no idea if the policy is going to be the same this year), or not being able to get the room size you want/need because the system bogged down and you were not able to reserve it before everyone else did.

As for costs, it's not a crazy high discount, but it's not insignificant either. I don't have the exact amount, but I can say that last year the PAX group rate saved me about 50 USD a night for my reservation at the Homewood of one room (600 sq ft) for 2 adults with one king bed for five nights (the room had a decent hide-a-bed, and IIRC, all the suites there have one).

Another thing to consider, the Homewood only has valet parking (the entry about it having self parking is a lie, just like the cake), so that adds a bit to the cost if you are driving. However, it is secured (only the attendants have the ability to open the automatic doors that lead to the parking area), which was a lot better than the parking at the Hilton which was usable by hotel guests and the public. The Sheraton is also valet only, I don't know about any of the others.

The Homewood is up the hill about a block from the convention centre, but about half to two-thirds of the walk can be avoided by taking the super sekrit walkway behind the centre.

Overall, I found that it was worth the extra costs when compared to some of the other hotels.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
    DustyStarrJuliet
    Thank you for all your wonderful info. :3 If nothing else, as far as the fruit goes, I can buy some ad bring it back to the room. Speaking of, how does Homewood's grocery service work, if you know?

$50 dollars a night sounds pretty great to me as far as discounts go, especially with the flat nightly rate. :3 But that shuffling around sounds... worry some. I mean, me and the BF can work with a lot of things, but we will be asking for two beds, and they can just change that? That seems really uncool... :/ I mean, how can they just, say, cram 4 people into a one person room, for example?

Thankfully the parking is not an issue, because we are not renting a car. :3 it looks like EVERYTHING we could want (except maybe the tours/underground, looking for confirmation on that) is right in that area, so we do not see the need for a car. That's not a bad idea, right? I have never left California, so I am new to traveling.

And it seems worth the cost to me. :3 I mean, I am sure that, say, eating out every day would add up more than shopping and eating there when we can, right?

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Thank you for all your wonderful info. :3 If nothing else, as far as the fruit goes, I can buy some ad bring it back to the room. Speaking of, how does Homewood's grocery service work, if you know?
    I didn't make use of it, but according to the web site (and I did see the form in the room), you fill out a form and drop it off at the front desk by 9AM and they will deliver them the same day for no charge. The cost of the groceries are supposed to be added to the room bill. The form is also available online so you can print and fill it out and hand it to them when you check in.

There is a small market on the same block as the Homewood called Pike Grocery (original, eh?). I don't know what the typical prices are like in the Seattle area, but the prices seemed a bit higher than what I would have expected. But as it is a privately owned corner market kind of thing, it didn't surprise me too much.

There are also a few other markets within about a block of the Homewood, hit google maps and search for "grocery stores near homewood suites Pike Street, Seattle, WA"
    $50 dollars a night sounds pretty great to me as far as discounts go, especially with the flat nightly rate. :3 But that shuffling around sounds... worry some. I mean, me and the BF can work with a lot of things, but we will be asking for two beds, and they can just change that? That seems really uncool... :/ I mean, how can they just, say, cram 4 people into a one person room, for example?
    This is second hand info, mind you, but apparently it's due to the deal OnPeak has (or had) with the hotel, that they can shuffle reservations if they feel there is a need. From what I heard and saw on twitter, it wasn't a large amount of groups that had this happen. I don't know if this is still the case this year or not, only the hotel or OnPeak could say. It might be worth calling the hotel and checking.

For more info, check http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/182624/post-prime-2013-hotel-discussion. My inna nutshell post about the homewood is in there as well.
    it looks like EVERYTHING we could want (except maybe the tours/underground, looking for confirmation on that) is right in that area, so we do not see the need for a car.
    There is a lot of things to do in Seattle that are only a few blocks away, and the public transit system is supposed to be really good as well.
    And it seems worth the cost to me. :3 I mean, I am sure that, say, eating out every day would add up more than shopping and eating there when we can, right?
    I would imagine so. It's from last year, but to get an idea, check this thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/179066/the-great-foodening-pax-food-destinations-2013/p1

It has a link to a gdoc spreadsheet with a list of different places around the convention centre with general cost, phone numbers, addresses, and links to gmap locations. I'm sure that it will be updated soonish for this year.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
    DustyStarr
  • cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    I managed to get a backup plan reservation at the paramount just in case I don't get pax rate (which I probably won't). Any experience with that hotel?

Hmm... just thinking... how fast do hotels sell out? Especially the Homewood? Cardkid's talk of the PAX rate has me worried...

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    Hello all, completely new to PAX, but really wanting to go this year for self fulfillment reasons. :3 Anyways, my question is simply: What is a good hotel for a pair of people who just want a clean, peaceful place to stay that is close by, and hopefully on the cheaper end? ...Also preferably with the kitchenette, because I would rather go shopping and cook than go out to eat every day.

Thank you. :3

This is a little different than what you might expect, but in my past PAX trips we stayed at the green tortoise hostel, 50 a night for a two person bunk, close by the convention center, and free breakfast you cook everyday. The only downside is that its a hostel so you share the rooms with others and the bathrooms are shared by the floor. It's a little different but the other people you share a room with will most likely be convention goers to, so theirs swag trading possibilities.

May PAX be upon you.
    edited April 2014
    Thank you for the info. :3 The price is great, but I am just not sure how safe I would feel leaving our personal belongings in a hostel... we also want a place with a telly so we can play games. :3 We rarely get to see each other IRL due to school, so we want to include some gaming on the trip. :3

Speaking of! I am sure we will be looking for other players for Mario party n such! How easy is it to find peeps to game with, if any of you know?

So full of questions. @_@

DustyStarr on
  • JasonGreveJasonGreve Gamer Registered User regular
    Thank you for the info. :3 The price is great, but I am just not sure how safe I would feel leaving our personal belongings in a hostel... we also want a place with a telly so we can play games. :3 We rarely get to see each other IRL due to school, so we want to include some gaming on the trip. :3

Speaking of! I am sure we will be looking for other players for Mario party n such! How easy is it to find peeps to game with, if any of you know?

So full of questions. @_@

There is console/tabletop/pc freeplay areas, so likely thousands of folks wanting to play the exact same game as you :smiley:

Heh, thanks. :3 Hopefully the freeplay areas will not be too busy.

Also! A question about booking a hotel, because it is something I have never done before. When making the reservations through Onpeak, do you get to choose the days when you check in and check out, or are the times preset? We're thinking of staying from Thursday and checking out Tuesday (so five nights), and I wonder if that would be hard to get rooms for...

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    You choose check-in/out dates, keeping in mind that the PAX rate really only goes from the Wednesday night before to the Tuesday night after. The longer your stay the fewer rooms there will be obviously.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

Also! A question about booking a hotel, because it is something I have never done before. When making the reservations through Onpeak, do you get to choose the days when you check in and check out, or are the times preset? We're thinking of staying from Thursday and checking out Tuesday (so five nights), and I wonder if that would be hard to get rooms for...
    You can choose, although the days outside of the convention usually have fewer rooms blocked off than the convention days. Thurs-Tues is pretty typical though for the 4 day pax.

madtygerJasonGreve
  • HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

You can choose, although the days outside of the convention usually have fewer rooms blocked off than the convention days. Thurs-Tues is pretty typical though for the 4 day pax.

Anecdotally, I think Monday had the lowest attendance rate (people are probably going back to work), and it was super quiet downtown when I headed to the airport on Tuesday early afternoon.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
    adias.angelzerzhul
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    There is a small market on the same block as the Homewood called Pike Grocery (original, eh?). I don't know what the typical prices are like in the Seattle area, but the prices seemed a bit higher than what I would have expected. But as it is a privately owned corner market kind of thing, it didn't surprise me too much.

There are also a few other markets within about a block of the Homewood, hit google maps and search for "grocery stores near homewood suites Pike Street, Seattle, WA"

There's a little convenience store between Homewood and the Convention center, there's a little private grocery store a block or two up Pike away from the convention center (other side of Pike as the hotel), and there's a full size QFC grocery store like 6 blocks up Pike (on the same side as the hotel).

There's also a Whole Foods a few blocks away towards the space needle.

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Regarding Homewood, is their WiFi service decent? Been to decent hotels with terrible connection, just wanted info from people who stayed there. Thanks.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    Regarding Homewood, is their WiFi service decent? Been to decent hotels with terrible connection, just wanted info from people who stayed there. Thanks.
    Kinda slow and requires a login every 24 hours. But it's free and I didn't really see it as being that much worse than what the Hilton was offering and charging for.

eIMwu3s.png
    Any experience with the paramount hotel anyone?

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Along the same lines, what are the best hotels within a few blocks of PAX that aren't the Sheraton or Homewood?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    Kinda slow and requires a login every 24 hours. But it's free and I didn't really see it as being that much worse than what the Hilton was offering and charging for.

Thanks, slowish is OK as long as it's reliable. Also free is good.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • StarYoshiStarYoshi Game Designer / Data Scientist USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Just booked the Tortoise as a backup plan, but that price may be too delicious to refuse since I'll be there for 7 nights :P A hotel will only make sense if I find a room share this year. (Boo solo travel)

StarYoshi on
    Attendance
    PAX Prime / PAX Dev 2014
    PAX Prime 2013
    PAX Prime 2009
  • dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Along the same lines, what are the best hotels within a few blocks of PAX that aren't the Sheraton or Homewood?

I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza I think two or three times for PAX. The walk is a bit farther than the Sheraton obviously but the rooms are nice and its cheaper since its not as close to the convention center.

After staying at the Sheraton the last two years for PAX we always aim to book the Sheraton and will fall back to the Crowne if we can't secure a room.

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    dchoy wrote: »
    After staying at the Sheraton the last two years for PAX we always aim to book the Sheraton and will fall back to the Crowne if we can't secure a room.

Is it the short walk that keep you coming back to the Sheraton?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    dchoy wrote: »

Is it the short walk that keep you coming back to the Sheraton?

I think that's the main thing. We don't have a problem walking since we do go off from the convention daily to get food at the Westlake Center Mall. The nice thing about the Sheraton is that you can go to your room and drop off swag or just take a rest. If the walk is further like Crowne Plaza then we typically won't return back to the room until after the expo hall closes which means lugging around stuff you buy or stuff you get the entire day.

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    The red lion is just across the mall from the Sheraton/expo hall, it's an easy walk and easy to grab food on the way.

PW0oFIs.png
  • JulietJuliet Registered User regular
    The red lion is just across the mall from the Sheraton/expo hall, it's an easy walk and easy to grab food on the way.

We stayed at the Red Lion last year and were really disappointed. :-\

• madtygermadtyger Lover of Bricks Side 3Registered User regular
    I've stayed at quite a few of the hotels in the area and have found the Sheraton to be the best when it came to service. Definitely more expensive, but hoping I can snag a room there.

• Blues1990Blues1990 Registered User new member
    Hey, everyone.

Given that I can't get any of my friends to go with me to PAX Prime this year (this will be my second time going, but my first going alone), I'm wondering which hotels in the Seattle area have the most reasonable prices for a single bedroom?

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tossing my vote for the Grand Hyatt. Stayed there 2 years ago and loved it. Probably a little bit more than the Sheraton (3 years ago.)

I asked this a while back but never got a response. Has anyone ever had an experience with the paramount hotel? If so how close is it and how good of a hotel is it?

• WoofWoofWoofWoof Registered User regular
    Juliet wrote: »

We stayed at the Red Lion last year and were really disappointed. :-\

aw sorry to hear =\ What's the main differences between the hotels? (besides distance and prices). That one with the complimentary breakfast sounds nice but I'm still unsure which hotel to book with. I've stayed at the sheraton the past few times Ive gone and loved how close it was to the convention lol.

edited May 2014
    I am not exactly sure. I think location is probably the most important thing. A couple people mentioned if you are too far away, then you will only go back at night, but if you are close, you will go back for meals, to take breaks and store stuff.

Last year we didn't get what we reserved. Also, the maid woke us up at 7:30am to clean the room and we had a Do Not Disturb sign on the door.

Juliet on
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Juliet wrote: »
    I am not exactly sure. I think location is probably the most important thing. A couple people mentioned if you are too far away, then you will only go back at night, but if you are close, you will go back for meals, to take breaks and store stuff.

We stayed at the Homewood our first Prime (4 min walk/.2 mi) and the Westin the second time (7 min walk / .4 mi). I much preferred the Westin and that is where we will be booking again this year. *crossing fingers* For us it's a good central location that falls between Pikes, TT and the expo hall.

I think we did one trip back mid-day but for the most part we didn't need to. We carry a poster tube with strap and light weight backpacks. Light weight stuff we can carry all day without issue. Large or heavy stuff we wait until end of day or until we are ready to head back for dinner, etc.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • karaokeangkaraokeang Registered User regular
    So.. I live in Puyallup and am hoping to get 4 day passes. Do you think we should get a hotel or just ride the light rail in every day?

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    karaokeang wrote: »
    So.. I live in Puyallup and am hoping to get 4 day passes. Do you think we should get a hotel or just ride the light rail in every day?
    I would say it entirely depends on your finances. 3-4 days of hotel plus extra meal costs will probably be at least $400. Is that worth it to avoid taking light rail (including at night when you leave dead tired), and have the convenience of a nearby room? For me it would be easily.

A hotel would be nice for at least part of the time. We really enjoyed staying until 11pm last year and we probably wouldn't have been able to stay that late without a hotel. This year PAX will have things going on until midnight, so it will be even nicer to have a hotel room.

I have no idea how it is to get back to Puyallup, but the bus service is sparse late at night and there were crazy people and beggars bugging people at the bus stop. I know we waited an hour for a bus at 11:30pm a couple years ago. Last year there was a football game the same day and the buses were full of people going to the game, so many buses wouldn't pickup at our park and ride.

This year I plan on getting a hotel for a couple of nights and do cabs for the rest. We might take a bus in the morning, but we won't do it again late at night.

Thanks for the input. I think we will get a room for a couple of the days at least. It will be my first time going and I want the full experience. I will see about getting rooms on Friday and Saturday at least.

It was soo much fun late at night after the expo hall was closed. There is a lot to do, I played games while watching to karaoke and my husband was playing D&D.

deflatermau5
  • WoofWoofWoofWoof Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the input. I think we will get a room for a couple of the days at least. It will be my first time going and I want the full experience. I will see about getting rooms on Friday and Saturday at least.

yes! you will definitely thank yourself when it's 11 o'clock at night and you're tired from walking/standing all day lol =p

WoofWoof on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I did some quick Google Maps, and it looks like close to 2 hrs in each direction. And you can't leave later than like 10 PM. Not only does that preclude you from late night activities, you also don't get a ton a sleep since you are on a train. So I'd say, get a hotel unless you really can't afford it.

Well I wouldn't be taking a train all the way home. I would just be taking a quick 20 minute ride to a park and ride in Tukwila. It is only about a 40 minute drive into the city for me if I wanted to pay for parking daily.

This discussion has been closed.