As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prime 2014 Hotel Discussion (official hotels are not live)

• dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    FYI downtown Seattle has garages near the convention center that offer specials on the weekends. Recently I went to Sakuracon in April and they had all day parking for $7 on Saturday and Sunday.

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
  • WoofWoofWoofWoof Registered User regular
    dchoy wrote: »
    FYI downtown Seattle has garages near the convention center that offer specials on the weekends. Recently I went to Sakuracon in April and they had all day parking for $7 on Saturday and Sunday.

i definitely would like some place cheap to park. overnight as well.

WoofWoof wrote: »
    dchoy wrote: »

i definitely would like some place cheap to park. overnight as well.

Overnight is a different story. You probably would have to pay valet parking at a hotel which is roughly $30-35 for 24 hours.

• WoofWoofWoofWoof Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

bleh that's what I thought.. I'm kinda thinking about just getting a cab to the hotel and just walking/taxiing around seattle since most things we need are within walking distance..

WoofWoof on
  • DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    So the BF is thinking of arriving on Friday Morning rather than Thursday, to save money for the night, but... when exactly can you check into rooms? Would we not be able to check into the room until Friday night, or afternoon, or something?

We are both a bit hotel illiterate. X3

• SilvertwinnSilvertwinn Going on 40. "Get off my lawn!"Registered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    So the BF is thinking of arriving on Friday Morning rather than Thursday, to save money for the night, but... when exactly can you check into rooms? Would we not be able to check into the room until Friday night, or afternoon, or something?

That would be found on the individual hotel's webpage. So whichever hotel you're thinking of trying to book, look up their website and it should be easy to find.

Thank you. :3

• mentaljasonmentaljason Registered User regular

Either through OnPeak or direct communication with the hotel you can request early check-in. I did this last year with Red Lion and they were willing to call us when the room was ready and we got the call shortly before getting let into the expo hall (so before 10am). Hotels also have storage for your luggage so you aren't hauling it around in the meanwhile. You can also do late checkout if that matters.

But for the record if you can afford to stay the night before, I would recommend it. We found we were very tired from the early morning this had caused before the convention had even begun.

PAX Prime 2013/14/15 [x]
    PAX East 2016 [x]
    PAX West 2016 [x]
    PAX West 2017 [Awaiting badges]

I see... does early check in cost anything more? And do you think it is safe to leave luggage with the hotels like that? I am a little paranoid about leaving my stuff... X3

Also, doesn't the convention open at 9AM?

Either way, yeah, the current plan is going for 5 nights, but we are looking to save where we can so we have more money for fun stuff. ;3 Of course, an extra day would be fun stuff, since we will be bringing games and having a fun time!

• mentaljasonmentaljason Registered User regular
    No, early check-in doesn't cost extra but I don't think they will guarantee you get it. But if you don't have your luggage with you then it probably won't matter a lot as to whether or not you get it. Only the hotel staff have access to the luggage storage room and they give you a baggage claim tag so it's fairly secure, but it's up to you if you are comfortable with it. We had no issues and it was certainly used by a lot of people on the Monday since checkout is in the morning and most people left late Monday.

The expo hall opens at 10am, only the queue and badge pickup are open earlier. Double checked my badge to be sure I was remembering right.

PAX Prime 2013/14/15 [x]
    PAX East 2016 [x]
    PAX West 2016 [x]
    PAX West 2017 [Awaiting badges]

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    No, early check-in doesn't cost extra but I don't think they will guarantee you get it. But if you don't have your luggage with you then it probably won't matter a lot as to whether or not you get it. Only the hotel staff have access to the luggage storage room and they give you a baggage claim tag so it's fairly secure, but it's up to you if you are comfortable with it. We had no issues and it was certainly used by a lot of people on the Monday since checkout is in the morning and most people left late Monday.

The expo hall opens at 10am, only the queue and badge pickup are open earlier. Double checked my badge to be sure I was remembering right.

The convention opens at 10am, but the convention center opens at 8am. You can queue up for individual theaters at their various locations starting at 8am, and can enter the queue room to queue for the expo hall at 8am.

• Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    I see... does early check in cost anything more? And do you think it is safe to leave luggage with the hotels like that? I am a little paranoid about leaving my stuff... X3

Also, doesn't the convention open at 9AM?

Either way, yeah, the current plan is going for 5 nights, but we are looking to save where we can so we have more money for fun stuff. ;3 Of course, an extra day would be fun stuff, since we will be bringing games and having a fun time!

Early Check in doesn't guarantee as Mentaljason said but normally I believe checkout is like 10 - 11am so it would really depend on when people checked out on how early you could get your room.

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
    zerzhul wrote: »

The convention opens at 10am, but the convention center opens at 8am. You can queue up for individual theaters at their various locations starting at 8am, and can enter the queue room to queue for the expo hall at 8am.

What do ya mean by queuing up for individual theatres? Like, getting in line for things early?

Either way, checkout for the Homewood is at Noon, so hopefully we would be able to check up out early... if we do that. We are still flipping and flopping on whether to go on Thurs or Fri.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    What do ya mean by queuing up for individual theatres? Like, getting in line for things early?

There are panels that start at 10/10:30, so it doesn't make sense for people wanting to go to those to go in the Queue Room to get into Expo Hall just to immediately leave it.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • JulietJuliet Registered User regular
    A couple years ago there was a giant line outside the convention center on opening day. Are we able to bypass the line to go inside the convention center?

• ZanzabarbarianZanzabarbarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The last time I stayed at the Sheraton they said check-in would be at 2. They did have a special baggage area where they were holding bags for other PAX attendees that was pretty seamless. After the first panel I attended completed I checked in with the hotel to see if we could check in early and they said we could, it was about 12:30 if I recall.

Zanzabarbarian on
    Juliet wrote: »
    A couple years ago there was a giant line outside the convention center on opening day. Are we able to bypass the line to go inside the convention center?

What time was this at? Were you just trying to get into the convention center, expo hall, or what?

• minisplatminisplat Registered User regular
    This is a little different than what you might expect, but in my past PAX trips we stayed at the green tortoise hostel...

As a relatively broke college student I've been looking at a couple of the hostels in the area. Has anyone else stayed at the Green Tortoise Hostel or at HI-Seattle? I don't mind walking/taking the bus - no epic costumes planned this year.

passes - flight - hotel - anticipation

Don't Panic.
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    So the BF is thinking of arriving on Friday Morning rather than Thursday.

Something else to think about is if you want to take part in any of the pre-PAX activites. TT on Thursday at the Sherton is always one of our favorite things.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    Has anyone stayed at the Paramount? Is it any good? Thanks in advance.

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    I have not and would like to know myself. As of right now I hope for the Sheridan, or the Olive 8 since they have events in them. Am I wrong that the Red Lion normally has Table top?

As far as the Paramount goes, I went in two years and ago and it looked nice. I also believe that is where the keynote speech and the Omegathon's final round is held correct?

I was unable to go to Prime last year, so I am sorry if my memory is rusty.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    BadNews65 wrote: »
    As far as the Paramount goes, I went in two years and ago and it looked nice. I also believe that is where the keynote speech and the Omegathon's final round is held correct?

I was unable to go to Prime last year, so I am sorry if my memory is rusty.

You're thinking of the Paramount Theater, which is completely unrelated to the Paramount Hotel - the two are a couple blocks away from each other.

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Does the WSCC have bag/coat check? I would use that on the last day since my plan would be to leave on Mon afternoon.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    No, but if your hotel won't hold on to your bags for you after you check out it's not a hotel you should be staying at in the first place.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    edited May 2014
    The RedLion had TableTop 2 years ago, but last year it was at Olive8. I think they switch based on space. We actually stayed at the RedLion hoping that because our gang loves TableTop.
    BadNews65 wrote: »
    I have not and would like to know myself. As of right now I hope for the Sheridan, or the Olive 8 since they have events in them. Am I wrong that the Red Lion normally has Table top?

Juliet on

Something else to think about is if you want to take part in any of the pre-PAX activites. TT on Thursday at the Sherton is always one of our favorite things.

What is TT? :3

TT is for TableTop. There is an area where you can check out board games and play with friends or people you don't know.

I haven't been there on the Thursday before, but I really like the Table Top area because it is low key and relaxing compared to the expo hall.

• jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    I've stayed at the Moore Hotel the past 3 years and strangely enough, they're already full for Labor Day weekend. I loved it because it was cheap, cozy, and still within half a mile from WSCC. Any other similar hotels that you guys can recommend?

If it comes down to it, I'll throw down for one of the OnPeak hotels. Having a hotel a little further out away from the business was nice when I needed a breather. And cheap, I like cheap.

PimDtoK.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    TT is for TableTop. There is an area where you can check out board games and play with friends or people you don't know.

I haven't been there on the Thursday before, but I really like the Table Top area because it is low key and relaxing compared to the expo hall.

Sheraton Table Top is a community organized boardgame playing event at the Sheraton the night before PAX each year. The hotel opens up meeting rooms and PAXen take over the ground floor. In return all the game players buy generously of the bar and restaurant to compensate the hotel. It does not however have any games to checkout like PAX proper does. It's all just what people bring. There will be a thread for it and people post what they will bring and what they'd like to see others bring.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Sheraton Table Top is a community organized boardgame playing event at the Sheraton the night before PAX each year. The hotel opens up meeting rooms and PAXen take over the ground floor. In return all the game players buy generously of the bar and restaurant to compensate the hotel. It does not however have any games to checkout like PAX proper does. It's all just what people bring. There will be a thread for it and people post what they will bring and what they'd like to see others bring.

@Lexicongirl organizes it every year. It's great. We meet a ton of new people and play games we have never tried before.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

@Lexicongirl organizes it every year. It's great. We meet a ton of new people and play games we have never tried before.

This is the thread from last year if anybody doesn't know what it's all about.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    jukkakhan wrote: »
    I've stayed at the Moore Hotel the past 3 years and strangely enough, they're already full for Labor Day weekend. I loved it because it was cheap, cozy, and still within half a mile from WSCC. Any other similar hotels that you guys can recommend?

If it comes down to it, I'll throw down for one of the OnPeak hotels. Having a hotel a little further out away from the business was nice when I needed a breather. And cheap, I like cheap.

If you don't mind crashing away from downtown, there's a number of cheap but decent hotels by the Seattle airport. If that sounds ridiculous, keep in mind the train runs from the airport to near the convention center. A 30-minute trip isn't too bad a price to pay in exchange for cheapness.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

[/quote]

Sheraton Table Top is a community organized boardgame playing event at the Sheraton the night before PAX each year. The hotel opens up meeting rooms and PAXen take over the ground floor. In return all the game players buy generously of the bar and restaurant to compensate the hotel. It does not however have any games to checkout like PAX proper does. It's all just what people bring. There will be a thread for it and people post what they will bring and what they'd like to see others bring.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. :-) I might want to get a hotel for the night before.

• kestrelbeekestrelbee Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

You might want to check the Moore Hotel once the hotel listings go live. If they've made a deal with PAX, they'll have those rooms blocked off and unavailable except to those registering through PAX.

What hotels has on peak had in the past? Also, when I bought tickets all they had was 2 people rooms, do they have 4 people rooms?

• brettpoolbrettpool Registered User regular
    OnPeak last year Click that link and then click "Hotel List & Map" to see the hotels that were part of it last year.

And when booking a room you have to specify "quad occupancy" for a 4 person room

PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
    Attendee: Prime 12,13,14 East 13
  • kyle1193kyle1193 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    What hotels has on peak had in the past? Also, when I bought tickets all they had was 2 people rooms, do they have 4 people rooms?
    Almost all hotels are 1 King bed or 2 Queen beds. For 4 people in a room you need to choose "quad occupancy" which usually is 2 people per bed.

Here is last years initial hotel list without the hotels near the airport.
    4PY5cCt.png

kyle1193 on
    Thanks so much. Last time when I got tickets, only 2 people rooms were for sale.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It just depends entirely on the hotel and the remaining availability. Not all hotels will have all occupancies.

• jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    kestrelbee wrote: »

You might want to check the Moore Hotel once the hotel listings go live. If they've made a deal with PAX, they'll have those rooms blocked off and unavailable except to those registering through PAX.

You know, it didn't even occur to me that they may be part of OnPeak this year. I guess I'll wait it out. How quickly does stuff get snapped up when hotels go live?

PimDtoK.png
This discussion has been closed.