As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SMITE: Now on PC, Xbone, PS4... and Mac!

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Oh shit, Fenrir's dance on the PTS!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9KBQbdHQCc
    sPider817 wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I'm certainly not opposed to seeing this thread become more active.

I haven't really tried any of the PTS builds, then again I'm not even back to playing Smite regularly again yet. I mostly just watch the streams and such, so I'm caught up on changes, my practical skill just suffers when I don't play for a while. It's definitely an odd situation.

I do want Pixel Buster Freya, however. Unfortunately I'm out of gems, so I might have to buy some...

Freya's next on my list to learn just because of that damned skin. Currently 6 worshippers away from Hel mastery. Probably going to just suck it up and solo-queue for Arena. Even if I take 2 losses, that's still one more mastery finished.

Freya's a lot of fun for pure wrecking people. The main thing is learning when and when not to Banish, because using it at the wrong time can be really bad.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    I, for one, am really excited for Smite on the Xbone. I really enjoyed playing on the PC for awhile but that computer pretty much blew up and I never replaced it; my laptop can't run Smite well enough to be worth bothering with. The Xbone one announcement made me toss out a genuine "Yippie!" since it means I might be able to convince some friends to play with as well. Good chance this thread will see some action then as well...TBA 2015.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Nice to see the Smite thread is active, I never feel like wadding through the General Moba thread to get to the smite content.

Also how do people feel about the arachnie rework? She was the second god I bought and I'm not sure I like the new changes. She had some problems, mainly that her kit was useless if the other team bought the cloak of the magi but she had a unique ambush playstyle and she could destroy nearly anyone 1v1. I also love the short cd ult as you're not penalized for taking chancy shots and sometimes you get rewarded with an amazing pull. Her rebuilt kit is now all about auto attacks with thors ult or in other words, boring. What do other people think about her?

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Her new passive is absurdly, ridiculously strong

Her ult allows her to activate abilities while on the "ceiling", which is pretty hugely different from Thor's ult, since it allows you to pop your 1 and/or 2 before jumping on the target to initiate, or lay a web wall from the ceiling if you're using it as an escape

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Accualt wrote: »
    I, for one, am really excited for Smite on the Xbone. I really enjoyed playing on the PC for awhile but that computer pretty much blew up and I never replaced it; my laptop can't run Smite well enough to be worth bothering with. The Xbone one announcement made me toss out a genuine "Yippie!" since it means I might be able to convince some friends to play with as well. Good chance this thread will see some action then as well...TBA 2015.

Smite releasing on the XB1 (as well as some other exclusives that I'm excited for) has actually leaned me towards getting one before a PS4/WiiU. If my purchases carry over to the XB1 client, that's just icing on the cake. Would love to roll over day one with my Legendary Chang'e and be all "What's up XBL?! Let's dance!"

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    Arachne needed a rework, her old kit was purely pubstomper, it didn't work at all at high level or competitive because she fell off so hard halfway through the mid game unless she was ridiculously ahead, usually to the point that she made the other team surrender. An assassin with 0 mobility just doesn't work in this game, certainly not the way it is now.

The new kit definitely seems interesting, haven't played the PTS so I don't have personal experience with it, I'm not quite as much of a fan of the almost 'pure' basic attack focus, but eh, it at least has a synergy with the passive and other abilities, which is always nice to see.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I think her old kit would have been more workable if she scaled as a bruiser.

• Options
    That could be true... and she did sort of work as a tank/support. She still fell off in the later game because she didn't have enough team disruption ability, but she was really good at getting targets out of position for her team and her poisons/Qin's meant she could still do some damage.

But yeah, as an assassin her kit just didn't work.

Speaking of slightly odd kits, I think Fenrir is considered an assassin, but he does seem slightly more suited to a bruiser role with the way his steroid works and such. He has been run a little in support in competitive lately, which sort of works but past mid-game it again falls off because he isn't as good in grouped up team fights in that role. I think the major reason for that is trying to stack up the 5 runes to get your stun and such makes it really awkward and unreliable.

I do rather enjoy trying tanky Fenrir when I get him in Assault when no other tank/guardian is on the team. Being virtually unkillable when you go big dog to fetch a squishy is pretty fun.

• Options
    emotes are being taken out of the chests due to fan backlash

good, I guess?

people flipping out about a company trying to make money with things that don't affect gameplay in any way is getting really silly

one guy on reddit compared defending the chest system to defending slavery, I shit you not

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Man, you just don't understand the pull of dance

You will still get people bitching out Blizzard because of the 'dance studio fiasco'.

• Options
    Yeah, I saw some reddit topic yesterday complaining about the chest system in general. It's pretty damn ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned as long as it doesn't affect matches themselves with in-match benefits, they're doing fine with the monetization. Purely cosmetic stuff is completely fine.

• Options
    Looking forward to the Kukulkan patch. Ao Kuang is my main and I like the updated model for Kukulkan.

Maybe the new Ao Kuang will be an assassin to replace the gap in my roster if Arachne is lackluster then I can fulfill the glorious dream of playing nothing but dragons all day long.

• Options
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthread.php?30568-PTS-Patch-Notes-Addenudm&p=130268#post130268

PTS getting a patch late tonight or early tomorrow

hi-rez wants to test more before updating the game proper

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    emotes are being taken out of the chests due to fan backlash

good, I guess?

people flipping out about a company trying to make money with things that don't affect gameplay in any way is getting really silly

one guy on reddit compared defending the chest system to defending slavery, I shit you not
    I think chests are kinda silly and it's not like they don't have other ways to monetize the game. Although Smite's chest system is one of the better ones in that I don't have an inventory filled with useless shit.

Also, emotes on the PTS can be bought with 2375 favor, which is nice.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I don't particularly like Chaac but I LOVE when an ally has his voice pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqzB5iBVfao

• Options
    I don't particularly like Chaac but I LOVE when an ally has his voice pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqzB5iBVfao

I'm not that great with him, but I got his VP out of a chest. And yeah, it's pretty awesome.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I haven't focused on any god, since I'm just going through trying to collect masteries, but Chaac instantly clicked with me (or he is just OP, or i just got lucky with a small sample size). I have a 6-1 record with him and I can see myself actually putting a lot of time into him.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Chaac is one of the few remaining viable bruisers in competitive, so presumably he's just good.

• Options
    Tried the new Arachne and was not impressed.

The problem with the old Arachne was that you needed your ult to engage. Problem with the new Arachne is that you need your ult to engage. You aren't going to be able to use any of her new skills unless you get to auto attack range and the only way you can do that outside of your ult is with a 25% slow if someone goes over one of your traps. Maybe she's supposed to be built like a warrior now, you've got CC, healing and and attack speed buff so I suppose building tanky could work.

• Options
    Arachne's ult is not an engage, it's a secure or escape. Her webs are for slowing/catching up to people in order to engage. If you need more than that to engage you might try non-combat Blink.

I do sort of wonder if Heavy Hammer or Fatalis would be good for her to stick to targets, but it might not really be necessary.

• Options
    thanks to anybody that played with me today

hoping to do more tomorrow

• Options
    thanks to anybody that played with me today

hoping to do more tomorrow

Yes. Thank you for inviting me to join you folks. I had a great time. I like Odin enough to at least try to get him up to mastery 1. I'm spoiled by Chaac's sustain in solo lane though, so its something to get used to.

Steam
  • Options
    I had a good game with cabrakan this afternoon. They totally changed his 2. His new ult is way better now too. Still a novelty support, but at least he doesn't feel so useless. Also, I love the new helmets.

Steam
  • Options
    Arachne keeps tearing up pub games. I guess I can't complain, since I do the same thing with Bastet most of the time.

• Options
    Arachne keeps tearing up pub games. I guess I can't complain, since I do the same thing with Bastet most of the time.

At the level I play at. The cats are pretty much a free kill on mid at lvl 5. Kitty god is my favorite jungler by far.

Steam
  • Options
    Good matches with TDOT and company tonight. Up until that last MOTD, we were on a good roll.

• Options
    I need to get on this good match train.

• Options
    I need to get on this good match train.

Best win streak I've had. 8 matches, 1 loss. If/when we switch to FiOS, I'm definitely going to look into doing more Conquest. Right now, though? 200 ping in most matches means I'm next to useless so I'll stick to the less hardcore modes.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    sPider817 wrote: »
    Good matches with TDOT and company tonight. Up until that last MOTD, we were on a good roll.

My showing in that last motd was goddamn shameful.

But yeah I need to get into more groups to keep my solo queuing to a minimum.

• Options
    Will be on after today's SPL matches if anyone wants to group up.

• Options
    I apparently can not play any god but Kukulcon. Spent last evening playing Thanatos in a effort to find a replacement for my Arachne and went on a horrible loss streak. It was such a horrible loss streak that it even continued after I switched Gods. Even Hercules wasn't mighty enough to pull me out. It also one
    of those streaks where I deserved the losses. I wasn't being held down by horrible teams, I was playing poorly and holding them down.

That immediately changed when I switched to Kukulcon. I suddenly was a God among insects. In a siege game I was 1v2 due to a disconnect and I still managed to push them out and dominate them. We might have even have won if the other lane hadn't fed Loki 15 kills. I think I might just be one of those players who only plays a certain god and is rubbish when playing anyone else.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Found out why my ping is so high, and I can't do shit about it. Apparently, my ISP thinks it's efficient to route my signal from Texas to Missouri, Illinois, DC, and THEN to Georgia. I'm going to call with the server IPs later and see if they can do anything. Before one of the last patches (Serqet patch, I think?) I was getting 60 every match. Ever since, it's been 180-200.
    Edit: I may have fixed it? Connected to the server via conquest practice 8 matches in a row and kept around 60-70. Totally doable.

sPider817 on
  • Options
    I believe there are two NA server clusters now, east coast and west coast. The east coast game server cluster is in Virginia, the west coast game servers, I'm not sure of, maybe California? But that routing still seems derpy, even if that's one of the backbones... I know one of the main ones runs through Chicago though, so maybe it is...

I think whether you get an east or west coast server cluster is pretty much random.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I believe there are two NA server clusters now, east coast and west coast. The east coast game server cluster is in Virginia, the west coast game servers, I'm not sure of, maybe California? But that routing still seems derpy, even if that's one of the backbones... I know one of the main ones runs through Chicago though, so maybe it is...

I think whether you get an east or west coast server cluster is pretty much random.

Either way, switched my DNS to Google DNS and never went above 70ms after more connection testing (did 10 more matches in a row). Thankfully Conquest Practice mode actually connects to a server but doesn't count against you for leaving, so I'm able to test multiple times in succession. When I tested before the change, my ping would either be in the 90-120 range or 180-220, more often in the latter.

Nope, went into an actual match and still got stuck on the worst ping ever. Tried multiple other fixes to no avail. Looks like I'm out for the time being.

sPider817 on
  • Options
    Yeah I keep getting crap ping in Smite since the last patch.

However, nobody expects me to do anything anyway so I just pick Neith and spam arrows or Nu Wa and spam ults.

• Options
    Awww yeah, get your Smite on, free gem event through the end of the month!