As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] "We Have the Best Shit" Open Beta now Live!

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    This next beta I'm going to bang out an Esper. I've got an idea for a sick support build.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I have no doubt we'd dip our foot into 20 mans at some point a month in. Their plans for 40s intrigue me because they said they plan to do a lot of raid splitting, Ulduar style to cope with the sheer numbers

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    two or three guild alliances break up into their respective groups to fight down three paths a la Final Fantasy 6. Progression down the lane needs someone from another path to press the widget. everyone meets up at the boss.

that'd be intriguing as hell in a raid...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Hmm, so I'll be assuming we're Dominion on Nexus. Do I go Chua or Mechari Engineer....

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    mechari engineer screams terminator and is great. They have the most visceral facial options in my opinion.

but my chua esper is my favorite, because the Rat Lord will rise up and conquer all.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Forgot about this almost

Arenas deep dive for wildstar Wednesday
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/arenas-enter-the-slaughterdome/

• Options
    edited March 2014
    57ime2F.jpg

Previews for the new class resource indicators in UI 2.0. GET HYPE

(yes that is a fucking screaming skull)

Beezel on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    screaming skull for the win! gotta be the warrior one.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    my biggest concern with arenas would be season gear, if they went that route. I'm probably dating myself here, but when season 5 arenas came around in wow, players who *just* started to fight in arenas had to grind through the season 1-4 gear first, which meant that if you were dedicated to getting that season 5 gear asap, it meant that you had to take a 2 month curb stomping simply because you didn't have the pvp offense/defense provided by the gear.

that don't fly with me.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    57ime2F.jpg

Previews for the new class resource indicators in UI 2.0. GET HYPE

(yes that is a fucking screaming skull)

Love how everyone gets badass new meters and ss gets... a high res version of what they have now

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Because theirs wasn't an unholy abomination, unlike everyone else's.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I might have to cut my self off from this thread tell the next beta weekend.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    So, this is kind of what I'm looking at for an Esper. It's a control/debuff build.

2 builders, 2 spenders, root, subdue, lots of expose, dash regen, hot on main attack and PBAoE hot. It's unfortunate that I won't really get to test it, but there are some alt skills I'll be able to try out during the beta. At least I can get a feel for if it will work.

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Look, man. I hear you. I hear your cries and wails of agony at what was.
    But let me tell you what is.

(Herein I wax philosophic about MMO's and raiding)
    Ages ago, some... Seven years, Ultima Online was my jam. They had these things called Peerless.

Peerless involved a player or group of players killing some of the hardest monsters in the game, in the hardest area's of the game, to collect some "key" items which decayed over time. After you picked up a key, you had an hour to collect and use the rest. Once you used the key(s), you and your party got an item which allowed you to teleport into the "Encounter" (some times it was a clothing item you used to walk through an otherwise locked door). Once in the encounter, you had to navigate the puzzle/dungeon to get to the boss. Some of these were traditional multi level dungeons with increasingly difficult monsters and traps. Others were simple "hordemode" encounters you had to survive. All of them involved multi-stage puzzles and phased elements. Once you completed that, you could do the boss. Most people (85%) failed at this stage.

Each boss was radically different (there were 5). One was a unicorn which cursed you so bad you'd drop all your gear, you had to cycle out who was tanking him once they were cursed, and get a group of players to spam cleanse spells on him until one of them removed it. Another was a tree-ent lady who could kill you when you were a ghost (when you died you became a ghost who needed to be resurrected), permanently removing you from the encounter. One player had to be trying to interrupt her "specter" spell, while another was quickly ressing the dead, and the others were applying damage/fighting adds. They got progressively more difficult. One was pure magic.

Anyway. These guys all dropped a fuck ton of loot, their minibosses and the key holders all dropped valuable gear, and there were "Peerless Loot" items which could drop (2% chance, 0.25% on some items due to loot tables), and everyone wanted.

Most people failed when trying to collect the keys. My friends and I were rather good at it, and figured out how to build characters specifically tailored to gather keys and fight bosses. We got so good at it, that we could three-man all these bosses. Most people had to come in groups of 20+. Personally, I could solo the unicorn boss. It wasn't time efficient, but it was a feather in the cap. This became known (other players could spectate the boss fights, plus one of my friends was a bit of a braggart). After a bit of a haranguing by people, we built a guild. At the peak, we had 300 people in the guild. We set up a forum, published tutorials for each stage, took groups of 10 on "educational" runs.

But, everyone wanted that loot.

What we ended up doing was this:

Organization:
    The entire "raider" population is divided into squads of 5. People pick their own squads, and name them funny things. (This was the average group size necessary for any particular boss)
    When you do a raid, you post it on the forum, and list the people participating.
    Each raid elects a "leader", and posts this as well. If everyone agrees that they don't need a leader (I.e. an expert group), they said as much and that's fine.
    Each person on a raid gets 1 point.
    If you succeed in your raid goal, the raid gets 1 point.
    If you succeeded, and had a leader, that leader gets 1 point.
    If the raid agrees that there was an MVP or powerplay that happened, list the person(s) involved, "Guild Council" decides if it's cool enough and if it is... They get 1 point.

Loot Distribution:
    1. Only the people on a given raid are eligible for loot. No "holding".
    2. When an item comes up for looting, people declare interest. The person with the most points gets the item, and loses 8 points (to a minimum of 0).
    3. If two players are tied, they must be honorable people and come to an agreement. Any kind of agreement is fine ("I'll give you 3mil gold if you let me have this"), but it must be made quickly and with integrity. If this rule is violated (someone starts acting foolish), the players involved come up for review to "Guild Council". If no agreement is made, but it was done "maturely" ("I refuse, I want this." "So do I, I will not bend.")... And/Or someone with more seniority is required to be notified, all involved players lose all points, and the item is given to any interested party for 3 points. If no one wants it, it is destroyed in some way. (This was our "Anti-Greed" rule. Don't be a dick, we're all playing together. Also the "Don't be a baby" rule.) If at any point a player is told to act more maturely, or less greedy, they come up for review.
    4. If all players in the same squad, loot only costs 7 points. (Play together, get familiar with each other, be better at raiding)
    5. If all players are evenly distributed between squads, or all from different squads, loot only costs 7 points. (Play with everyone, don't profile or form cliques)
    6. If all players agree, an item may be given to another player for 1 point (This is the: "You're the only one who needs this" rule).
    7. If no one can afford the item, it goes back up at -1 point (To a minimum of 1). If no one selects the item, it is given to any interested party (See rule 3).
    8. If anyone tries to "Sweep the loot" (take everything), they are immediately ejected from the guild.

In the background:
    We organized by squads because we did fun "events". Certain squads would challenge each other to do a particular raid in a particular way, and wager on it ("Do Lady M, but no one can bring a spell book."). If the challenged squad succeeded, they'd get the points. If they failed, the challenger got 50% of them. We also used this to gauge how active a given squad was, how good they were, and so on and so forth. It was mostly just for guild administration. When new content rolled out, we'd tell the best squads to come with us and test it out, so more people could teach the less skilled groups.
    It was also mad easier to organize people in these categories.

We used a lot of the honor system, and only had a few incidents of corruption and collaboration. Both times we removed the jerks, and publicly shamed them.

Under that paradigm, we never once had a person complain. We even found incidents where groups wouldn't even register the raid, because everyone was such friends that they agreed on how loot was going to be divided up before hand.

What would I do to change this for Wildstar?

First, I'd create point categories, for each type of content. You'd have a category for any kind of content which required players to moderate loot. If the game manages drops in any way, points are not necessary and I'd do something more fun.
    Then, you'd be able to exchange points. 5 dungeon points for 1 raid point.
    I'd also change the costs, probably creating a few categories for that. (i.e. Jewelry costs 3, armor 6, weapons 5)
    All looted items are registered with the guild. If you have received an upgrade to a given slot, it costs 2x as many points to take another upgrade to that slot, within X time. (Let me explain this: Joe gets raid 1 legs. Jim has really good legs, but not raid 1. Next week you do raid 2, and raid 2 legs drop. If Joe wants to upgrade his recently upgraded legs, it'll cost him (probably) all his points. This is so Jim has a chance at the direct upgrade. It's better to have more people geared, than one guy geared the best).
    That's probably it.

You raid, you earn points, you spend points. There's no more finesse to it.

Within six months (there were no lockout timers. As fast as you could get keys, you could do bosses), every single person in the guild had the items they wanted, and we dissolved it. Our techniques had become so well known and publicized, I was regularly standing around discussing ways to solo or duo this or that boss. Granted, we destroyed the economy on the server (peerless loot was end game loot, and now everyone had it), but that's not the point.

I often hear, and participated in, other systems. DKP, and it's many different colors, are strange systems. They are often overly micro managed and create problems because they are overwrought. Because, honestly, they are often rigged in the "pro raider bro" guys favor (this is often the leadership).

Look, I know that's a lot of text. I'm just going into this with the idea that I, and the PA guild, will probably dip my/our toes into raiding. Even if it's not the 40 man's, we'll need some kind of organization and system. The dev's have gone to great lengths to try to mitigate that, but it's also pretty clear loot's gonna drop, and we're gonna need to divide it up. I'll gladly help set that up, and/or provide my input. I'm not sure how many raid leaders/organizers are hanging around these parts.

I've been a raid leader in WoW for the past 7 years. We've found that for groups of 10-25 a random Roll system of Main Spec Vs Off Spec / Sidegrade works with a limit of main spec items, and off spec items. We would then get to a point where no one needed anything on the MS / OS and would end up sharding stuff. This was the most fair system we had because it was great for new recruits / people who have raided with us. They had to understand it was all about luck. The one exception was Tier Pieces, complete a 4 / 8 piece would put those people in priority, IF everyone agreed. If not all people agreed, then it was rolled for.

The problem comes in when people are lootwhores. I would tend to think that most people from this thread playing are in it for the fun / adventure of it all. People hate DKP, because they feel its not fair until they have built up enough points. Managing a points system for 20-40 people is a hassle and a half. If we do a 20 man raid group (which it sounds like we might) especially towards the beginning, people are going to be using their main rolls right off the bat burning out those Main Spec rolls. Eventually, everyone gets what they want, and if they don't they can use gems (i think) to buy other upgrades.

All I'm saying is that it's a new game, and we are poised to setup a system how we want, The power is YOURS!.

• Options
    Yeah, I think, even given my diatribe, that the group who undertakes the great "Organization", should be open to doing something totally new.

Like, take a few hours one Saturday once we get going... To design and publish a new loot system.

Man, I just thought of this:
    Each raid you go on nets you 1 point.
    You can spend a point to buy a roll for an item. You can buy a maximum of three rolls per item.
    Class has priority, then build. (This is an Esper item, but clearly for healer build, only Esper's who main Healer build can declare interest first)
    If you recently got a direct upgrade, your next direct upgrade costs +1 point if rolled within X time.
    Off spec can declare interest and roll for +2 points per roll. (Off spec refers to the declared spec for that player. A Warrior could declare he's "Tank Spec", but be rolling DPS in any given raid because we already have a tank. I'll never tell a guy what spec he should play, or what spec he gets gear for)
    If all players agree, it can go to a specific player.
    If all players rolling on an item agree, the point cost can be waived. But, all players involved, and a "Guild Leadership Rep" need to approve it. In this case, the traditional "Highest roll wins" is the rule.

There's of course some other rules that would need to be put up, anti-greed stuff and "get everyone geared" stuff. But! It's a nice split between point buy and roll off. Personally I prefer point buy, since I generally hate RNG deciding if I get something I've earned. I do understand how frustrating it can be for new raiders though, which is why I've always tried to put in rules to help motivate people to not be dicks.

But like: If you main tank, and a tank item drops, all tanks can roll for 1 point. Losers can buy another roll (this is the "Point Sink"). If a DPS engi want's it because he wants to start tanking, he can buy rolls for 3 points each.
    Once that tank has the item, if another tank item drops, that tank has to pay 2 points per roll. The "Main Tank" can probably afford this, since he's raiding a lot, but it at least lets the other tanks get a piece of the action. Plus, the MT will eventually upgrade himself out of his stash of points, and need to relax about getting geared for a minute.

I definitely don't want to fall into the trap of managing thousands of points and working on "cost lists" (I did that shit in both EQ and WoW, never again). So I'm with you, DKP isn't even an option. I don't even want to look at it.

• Options
    Yea man, I like the way that sounds, Because RNG is a PITA and really only works for smaller groups. I would say let's see what happens first with all of this, and if we can even form a raid group, which I don't doubt we can, but it might take some time realistically with the amount of people who only play for the first month. I'm in this for the haul along with maybe 2 others I know IRL.

• Options
    I think that's the beauty of the Elder gem unlock system. The stuff you want isn't dropping/unlucky on rolls, you take your currency and buy a slightly lesser equivalent to keep the unfortunate from lagging behind. When I was a RL in 10s/25s we did 2 MS roll wins per raid. If no one could use it for MS it went up to OS. Same limit applied. BOEs were either sent to the gbank for emergency cash or disenchanted for mats. We felt that was fair enough.

• Options
    Can we agree now that if there are BOE's we sell them for GBANK funds? I think that sounds like a great idea, and especially if it helps with the warplot. I don't want to jump the shark here in case im asking too soon.

mmm shark.

• Options
    I think that's the beauty of the Elder gem unlock system. The stuff you want isn't dropping/unlucky on rolls, you take your currency and buy a slightly lesser equivalent to keep the unfortunate from lagging behind. When I was a RL in 10s/25s we did 2 MS roll wins per raid. If no one could use it for MS it went up to OS. Same limit applied. BOEs were either sent to the gbank for emergency cash or disenchanted for mats. We felt that was fair enough.

Yeah, I'm stoked about the gems. It'll mitage a lot of headache for raid leaders/organizers. Overall, there will be less "OH MY GOD I HAVE SUCH BAD GEAR WHAA WHAA WHAA". It'll make for a much more pleasant and easier to organize experience.

• Options

Yeah, I'm stoked about the gems. It'll mitage a lot of headache for raid leaders/organizers. Overall, there will be less "OH MY GOD I HAVE SUCH BAD GEAR WHAA WHAA WHAA". It'll make for a much more pleasant and easier to organize experience.

The good news, also, is that the elder gem vendor gear has boss kill requirements. So say you have a new guildie and he's wearing this stuff, it would be safe to assume that you will have to do less explaining of boss mechanics than usual.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    That's just the best.

"Dude, you've got Hat of Bug Boss. I know you've been here, stop being a wiener."
    Noizlanif wrote: »
    Can we agree now that if there are BOE's we sell them for GBANK funds? I think that sounds like a great idea, and especially if it helps with the warplot. I don't want to jump the shark here in case im asking too soon.

mmm shark.

It'd be really nice if there's a way and a person who wanted to do this:

When "trash" drops (stuff everyone has, or junk no one wants), it gets thrown in a guild bank and posted about on the guild proprietary forums (let's just all admit those will be necessary). The non-raider population of the guild could buy it from the guild for a pittance. If no one wants it, the guild treasurer (or board of treasurers) sells it and puts the money in the guild coffers.

Then, when people are like "I need to max out my armor crafting" the guild can just throw money at them under the assumption that they'll compensate the guild with their new maxed crafting. Plus warplots and housing trinkets people might not be able to afford, but want ("Let's give one of our architects a bunch of money to make 100 of these FAB kits everyone wants.").

I'd really like to do have a "Guild First" charter, and not a "Loot First" or "Raid First".

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    I'm all for organizing guild events for housing items BTW

• Options
    Guild First thing seems like it would be a great idea. It might help to weed out the riff-raff Exile scum.

• Options
    For those curious about tradeskills and what they do, since the devs haven't spoken much about them, here's the quick and dirty breakdown of each one:

Craft professions

Weapon crafting - Self explainatory. You make weapons, every weapon type but you have to go down the path splits in the tech tree to get to what you want. You can learn every schematic and the only factor really is time/money
    Armorcrafting - Makes heavy armor
    Outfitter - Makes Medium and light armor
    (the above three professions are going to be important for crafting main and off-spec gear all the way up to level cap and beyond)

Technologist - Makes certain tradeskill regeants, performance enhancers, medsprays. Also the game's only source of refined power cores and gadgets outside of drops. (Every crafting profession outside of Technologist itself requires power cores)
    Architect- creates housing decor items and fabkits for land plots. The only source of gathering fabkit upgrades for gardening/mining/relic hunting. Super expensive and super difficult to level due to using the most material from every gathering profession, but most definitely the one with the most potential return on investment as a money maker.

Gather professions

Mining - Game's main source of metal ore, gemstones used for the construction of power cores, and in gear and rare crystals used as tradeskill catalysts
    Survivalist - Gathers wood from trees for architect, animal pelts and bones for outfitters
    Relic hunting - Source of omniplasm and eldan tech bits used by technologists for the creation of their wares. the tech bits can also be used by the other crafting professions for the creation of certain rare schematics thought it is less practical for them to take this for that purpose

Activities

Cooking - Probably a good idea to engage in this regularly. While the buffs aren't invaluable, they provide nice boosts and are going to be important to those looking to squeeze that little bit of extra mileage out of their characters
    Farming - useful to both chefs and to Technologists, who require the plants in order to make their consumables.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    What's the limitations on professions, is it just two?

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    two professions. so the usual

• Options
    Plus Cooking/Farming/Fishing(?) are free and everyone can do them.

• Options
    Not all that thrilled with needing mats/products from multiple gathering/crafting professions to do stuff. EQ2 used to do that and it was a huge ballache.

• Options
    Fishing was cut temporarily because they couldn't find a way to make it not suck. For now you dive in the water and fuck fish up like you would any other meat producing animal ingame

• Options
    "COME HERE FISH... I gotta knife you."

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I'm not all that thrilled by needing profession goods to make profession goods either, but let's face it. Crafting professions are almost always something you level after getting a single toon to max. Whether you cycle through professions on your one toon or whether you just make alt crafters, we were all going to have multiple characters anyway :)

Edit: plus guild buddies ;)

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Isn't there Tailor or was it rolled into Outfitter?

I've always enjoyed being that necessary "other" profession so Technologist will be a given. However, it usually doesn't help my finances as much but then I was never really good at making money in MMOs.

Karoz on
  • Options
    well the good thing about the professions is that if you do switch to something else, and then switch back, all that progress isn't lost. I think it's a week cooldown and a gold cost associated each time you switch however

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Does anyone know how effects like Subdue work on bosses/various non-standard monsters?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    They will be valuable. Like interrupt armor. A boss might have 3 or 4 layers of interrupt armor on and so you only do 60% damage, but as you do things like knockdown, subdue, snare (just throwing it out there) you peel off layers of that interupt armor and do progressively more damage. Strip it all and you'll do 110%+ damage.

that's just one example. The devs said they don't want people to just chain stun or lock bosses, but by doing interupt armor, it is still meaningful to use those skills.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Papagander wrote: »
    I'm not all that thrilled by needing profession goods to make profession goods either, but let's face it. Crafting professions are almost always something you level after getting a single toon to max.
    In my case, only because there's usually no other choice. I enjoy crafting and would love the fuck out of an MMO that made crafting not only viable but desirable as you play (not grind for mats. Play). It's what sold me on ESO.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Well i know i prolly won't be much involved if at all with the raiding side of things. Unless the stars align or something And i go to one for funsies. But i will be spearheading all pvp endrvours and plan to do my best to do consistent arenas, with my parenting schedule permitting

• Options
    I'm not going to lie. Working 40 hours a week + whatever else has turned me into a weekend warrior. If people want me to lead a Fri-Sat raid I could do that. If not I could be along for the ride. I can't do Mon-Wed-Fri raids anymore sadly. Which is probably the type of schedule most of the raiding guilds will probably be following.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    My work schedule is all random and stuff. Odd's are high I'll be playing a leader, simply because: "I can go at this time, who wants to go?"

The biggest issue I've always run into, is timezone.

But, that is irrelevant. My hope is that groups will emerge for each day that people can raid, and then you just go on the day you have available. I refuse to do, or organize, any kind of "alarm clock ops". This is a game to be played for fun, the second it becomes work... Is the second I'll reevaluate what I'm doing.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm torn because I like raiding, but I like pvp servers. And there aren't going to be 40 people in the pvp PA guild from what it looks like. So I'm conflicted on where to roll and what to do. I dislike that part of MMOs. In WoW I always raided with the Dark Iron group which had tons of manpower to draw from. I worry that, even with tons of raid experience and knowing I'm a decent enough tank/healer, finding a grouptthat is both reliable and decent is going to be very difficult.

This discussion has been closed.