Options

[Giant Bomb], Greasy Ham

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    me and my roommate dove into luftrausers last night

holy shit that game is suuuuuuuuper fun

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I'm just worried because we've finally gotten to where minority protagonists are mostly not racist caricatures but if the company feels like they are getting reamed on this then their next game is gonna have a white male protag again

Who is reaming? Expressing disappointment ain't reaming. Particularly not on a forum they ain't even gonna read.

And saying nothing, tacitly endorsing fake tribes and cop-outs? What message does that send? How does that solve any problem anywhere?

I agree. It's hardly being reamed for pointing out they could have successfully used a real tribe. AC3 did and I don't remember anyone getting up and arms over it.

I feel people are more likely to be upset about the lack of representation more so than actually getting some - At least if it isn't totally blatantly offensive.

And Infamous: Second Son is very far away from being blatantly offensive.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Melding wrote: »
    I'm curious what @Poorochondriac would think if they had gone with the decision to put in a real tribe and then left the evil ending the way it is

I don't know what the ending is, so can't really speak to it specifically.

But in theory, I think representing a (real) tribe well, having a well-defined protagonist, and then giving players the option to be evil anyway would actually be pretty baller. The "noble savage" is as damaging a stereotype as the "bloodthirsty savage," so having an Indian protagonist who's villainous can totally be a win for representation in my book.

Alright, but what if in the ending
    He killed his entire tribe?

Depends on his motivations, but again, I'm theoretically on board.

You know how the biggest, most central narrative structure in western storytelling is the hero's journey? One dude venturing forth, being changed, conquering evil? Well, in tribal storytelling, one of the most central narrative structure is about a figure falling out from the tribe, being changed, and being brought into the fold. Instead of an individual conquering the many, it's about the individual being subsumed back into the many.

For one guy to violently reject the tribe, be the one above the many, that's saying some pretty powerful things about his struggles with tribal identity. It could be a very affecting tragedy, done right.

Granted, you could achieve the same result without mass violence, but hey, video games.

Still not a particularly compelling reason for a fake tribe

Evil Ending
    Delsin is 'excommunicated' from the tribe after he returns from his journey to try and save them all from Death By Concrete Legs

The apparent leader of the tribe, Betty, who's really the only other character from the tribe in the game besides Delsin and his brother, forces Delsin out because they've been watching all the awful shit he's being doing in Seattle and the tribe has decided they'd rather die than accept his help, because he's an awful awful person

Delsin is noticeably furious, and he goes to do his big crazy super move to destroy the main building in the reservation, which is also their makeshift hospital

Cut to black, credits

He kills them for petty vengeance cause they hurt his feelings, not rejecting the tribe or being above them

There really isn't that much of the tribe

You only meet one character from the tribe besides Delsin and his brother

You're only on the reservation for the first half hour of the game

They just put it out there and don't really talk about it in the slightest

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The only other significant Native American protagonist I can recall was Tommy from Prey and I don't really know if that was a real tribe or anything. It was an acknowledged part of who his character was at least.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm just worried because we've finally gotten to where minority protagonists are mostly not racist caricatures but if the company feels like they are getting reamed on this then their next game is gonna have a white male protag again

Who is reaming? Expressing disappointment ain't reaming. Particularly not on a forum they ain't even gonna read.

And saying nothing, tacitly endorsing fake tribes and cop-outs? What message does that send? How does that solve any problem anywhere?

I think telling sucker punch "hey guys nice job on representing a non racist native protagonist

But next time here's how you can do it better"

Is a better way to go than only focusing on what they did wrong

But you're right I don't know what the general sentiment on their handling of this was, from this forum it seemed like a lot of people were pretty mad about it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I think telling sucker punch "hey guys nice job on representing a non racist native protagonist

But you're right I don't know what the general sentiment on their handling of this was, from this forum it seemed like a lot of people were pretty mad about it

They didn't really portray a native protagonist, though, is sorta the problem.

And not to be glib or nothing, but giving a game that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make a pat on the head for being almost progressive ain't really something I'm keen on doing. There ain't really participation ribbons for representation. You do it well or you don't, and they didn't. That it could've been worse doesn't really merit a reward or recognition.

And to stress this again - I'm not mad at them, I'm not calling for a boycott or calling them racist or anything like that. I just think it's a bummer that they had a golden opportunity and didn't take it.

• Options

And not to be glib or nothing, but giving a game that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make a pat on the head for being almost progressive ain't really something I'm keen on doing. There ain't really participation ribbons for representation. You do it well or you don't, and they didn't. That it could've been worse doesn't really merit a reward or recognition.

And to stress this again - I'm not mad at them, I'm not calling for a boycott or calling them racist or anything like that. I just think it's a bummer that they had a golden opportunity and didn't take it.

I...

Ok I'm not native american so apologies if it's different for you guys

But I do have friends from a large number of ethnicities

Jewish, african-american, thai, chinese

You could make a game about any of those people and you wouldn't need more than one or two lines about their ancestry

That wouldn't mean the game didn't "really" have a thai protagonist

I feel like saying there has to be a huge focus on their ethnicity or it doesn't count is all but guaranteeing we just get white guys, and I also don't think any narrative about a Mexican-american has to deal extensively with their ethnicity

Sometimes a person is just a person

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Evil Karma Delsin is an asshole and I can't really fault Sucker Punch for thinking that making him part of a real tribe would open them up to unnecessary mainstream criticism.

I'd be more inclined to fault them for the tribe just being short-hand for "close knit community". I mean, I doubt they could accurately model a real Native American tribe simply because there's nothing there to model onto.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The story and the character would be exactly the same regardless of what ethnicity they were

That he's Native American is just flavoring to who Delsin is, not the core

He would still be a brash, excitable, small-town hellion regardless of where he grew up

If they used a real tribe in the finished game we got and played, all that would be different is maybe the layout of the reservation, the main building everyone is laid up in, and the name they say once or twice, which would only change the first half hour of the game because you never go back until the very end

Not exactly room for a whole lot of education

Not to say that wouldn't make a difference, but Second Son is not about Native Americans

It's about the journey of a superpowered young man who can either be a hero or a villain in taking down a surveillance state, who happens to also be Native American

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

I...

You could make a game about any of those people and you wouldn't need more than one or two lines about their ancestry

I feel like saying there has to be a huge focus on their ethnicity or it doesn't count is all but guaranteeing we just get white guys, and I also don't think any narrative about a Mexican-american has to deal extensively with their ethnicity

But this is the equivalent of a "Mexican-American" from the fictional country of Mexiland, located somewhere south of the United States but definitely not actually Mexico.

• Options

I...

Okay but see

Imagine if it was a dude of Asian descent, and the game - which is ostensibly set in the real world, in a city so realistic that they licensed the names of all the big landmarks - said that he was from Hoobastank, and that he needed to save all the Hoobastankian people.

It would be kinda baffling, because there are all sorts of real Asian nations, so why say he's Asian but then make up a whole country? Why is the city real, and the world real, but this one thing is fake? Why?
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The story and the character would be exactly the same regardless of what ethnicity they were

That he's Native American is just flavoring to who Delsin is, not the core

He would still be a brash, excitable, small-town hellion regardless of where he grew up

If they used a real tribe in the finished game we got and played, all that would be different is maybe the layout of the reservation, the main building everyone is laid up in, and the name they say once or twice, which would only change the first half hour of the game because you never go back until the very end

Not exactly room for a whole lot of education

Not to say that wouldn't make a difference, but Second Son is not about Native Americans

It's about the journey of a superpowered young man who can either be a hero or a villain in taking down a surveillance state, who happens to also be Native American

Then if it's so hard to have messed it up, why didn't they go with a real tribe?

And any room for education is more than none, which is where the game is currently at.

• Options

I...

But this is the equivalent of a "Mexican-American" from the fictional country of Mexiland, located somewhere south of the United States but definitely not actually Mexico.

That's true

But I almost feel this is a damned if you do damned if you don't thing

So what were their options

They could have made him native american but not mentioned the tribe, which Pooro said would be bad

They could have made him native american and named a real tribe, but since the tribe is barely in the game they would then need to hire a consultant to make sure to be accurate/etc. when, again, the tribe barely appears

They could have gone with what they did which clearly wasn't the right call either

Do you see why I'm worried everyone is just gonna go back to white dudes

Why can we have a white protagonist and not say where he's from but a latin-american has to have a specific homeland?

• Options
    yeah, the fact that the tribe doesn't show up much doesn't dull the fact that in place of real representation, they instead refused to even say the name of a real tribe or acknowledge any of their heritage

i really wanna play infamous whenever i can get my hands on a ps4, but it is really silly how they handled this

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I guess the thing that sticks out is that Chincy specified that they had Thai and Chinese friends.

Our theoretical protagonist in that case isn't Thai or Chinese.

He's generic Asian from the pastiche island nation of Patusan.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I guess the thing that sticks out is that Chincy specified that they had Thai and Chinese friends.

I

love

Surf Ninjas

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options

oh my i love you

• Options
    money can't buy knives

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I had no idea people even remembered that movie.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Deep down, every movie is Surf Ninjas.

sig.gif
  • Options

I...

So would it have been better to not mention a tribe because I was under the impression that was also a no-no

• Options
    For a more lighthearted take on the matter (how irksome it can be when a company refuses to hire a consultant/do basic research), here is one of my favorite Kumail Nanjiani bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5OyGlLS-g

• Options
    I saw 3 ninjas 3 the other day and it made me sad

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Uh oh, Vinny and Brad are way into Yaiba Ninja Gaiden at the very start

They will either have all their hopes dashed or continue to enjoy it when it gets really shitty

let's watch

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I think at least part of the issue is that 'native american' is sort of a vague overarching term referring to a large number of different cultures, and making up a tribe risks adding to the problem of people thinking of it as one culture, even if the intention behind it was positive. It's possible for it to be a problem even with no ill intent on anyone's part.

It's like if you had a 'European' protagonist from a fictional european country. Even if the character isn't racist, it doesn't really do much to positively represent any particular european ethnicity. A key difference in this case too being that western european cultures don't tend to encounter the same sort of marginalization in modern North American society that many first nations groups do.

That's just my take on this. If I missed the mark on anything, I don't mind being corrected.

Edit: Beat. I guess I was slow typing that up.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It would be kinda baffling, because there are all sorts of real Asian nations, so why say he's Asian but then make up a whole country? Why is the city real, and the world real, but this one thing is fake? Why?

I guess this doesn't really change anything but they still talk in the game about the events in the city of New Marais and how there's a big prison set up at Curdun Cay. They're blurring the fiction by adding Seattle, but it's still the fictitious InFamous universe.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I...

So would it have been better to not mention a tribe because I was under the impression that was also a no-no

It would've been better to bring on a consultant for what's seriously like two weeks of work, if that, requires no changes to assets aside from writing (which is the cheapest part of a production by a wiiiiiiiiiide margin), and have representation that's, well, representation.

Like, this ain't an insurmountable problem. They wouldn't be doing the AC3 thing, which was a period piece and necessitated huge chunks of dialog in the tongue of the tribe (which they did, because Ubisoft fucking owns), they're doing a modern day story. They needed somebody to come in and spot check references. The bar was really, really low, and they still stumbled over it.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    I had no idea people even remembered that movie.

oh i remember

because i watched it a million times as a kid

and a year ago i found it again, and showed it to my current roommate

we probably watched it 5 times in 5 days

that movies is part of our friendship canon now

• Options
    For a more lighthearted take on the matter (how irksome it can be when a company refuses to hire a consultant/do basic research), here is one of my favorite Kumail Nanjiani bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5OyGlLS-g

If you don't, you should really listen to the video game podcast Kumail does with his wife Emily, The Indoor Kids

They're both super knowledgable about games stuff and have guests on like the entire Gone Home team or Brandon Boyer from IGF or Troy Baker

It's a really great show

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I'll be hitting the hay soon, but I will close with this - Sucker Punch's decision was disappointing, but at the end of the day, not entirely unexpected. Indians are poorly represented faaaaar more often than not.

What's really disheartening, though, is the full-throated defense of poor representation. That's a tougher pill to swallow.

• Options
    I'll be hitting the hay soon, but I will close with this - Sucker Punch's decision was disappointing, but at the end of the day, not entirely unexpected. Indians are poorly represented faaaaar more often than not.

What's really disheartening, though, is the full-throated defense of poor representation. That's a tougher pill to swallow.

I am not defending poor representation

I always want better representation for underrepresented groups

What I am saying is that the industry as a whole continues to get better and I am psyched to play as a well developed native american protagonist

He's by all accounts a good character and that's awesome

I think calling the whole thing bad representation is letting the hair spoil the whole soup, that's all

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    6G15Afz.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I just received $20 in amazon credit due to the whole Apple and book publisher price fixing ebook case. Yay.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Hey guys. I just received $20 in amazon credit due to the whole Apple and book publisher price fixing ebook case. Yay.

I was wondering why I suddenly had $3.35 Amazon credit

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The email says it will work on any ebook or print book. Not sure if I can use it on anything else. Guess I should find a free book or two that I want. Good thing I bought all those books for my kindle.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ?

!

... oh, it's only if you live in the US, not if you're just forced to use the US Kindle store. Boo!

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm not far in it, it's not even officially out yet and also I just spent the last few hours watching the new Muppets movie

The demon worshipping seems adequate enough, the main character also has three demon "shadows" that are part of her spirit and come out during cutscenes, each one representing the different types of Warl

Warl is split up by types now, too - Sadistic, Elaborate and Humiliating - and the more you use of each one dictates how fast you unlock things in each category of traps. So I could set up a bear trap, drop a pumpkin on their head, until they stumble forward into a spike wall's range, and let the spike wall pull them back to the retractable spikes and then shoot them with an arrow slit and drop a boulder on their head oh shit I just thought of this one, I have to go try this

I read this whole post imagining you were talking about the Muppets. I giggled.

• Options
    Vow how was the new Muppets?

• Options
    I have really enjoyed the rise of people in the public eye who are REALLY into games

Its great that a bunch of people play AAA titles but having Xavier Woods be way into windjammers or Chris Kluwe fucking love MOBA's is so awesome

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    how come the new infamous game is set in Real Seattle when the last two were set in Fake New York and Fake New Orleans? are they set in the same universe? because that kind of amuses me, the idea that in the infamous universe the whole east coast is radically different but for some reason seattle is just seattle

This discussion has been closed.