As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb], Greasy Ham

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Dubh wrote: »
    Sucker Punch could have easily used a real tribe, and easily hired someone for consultation.

And it would have been real cool if they did. Full stop.

This OH NO IF THEY HEAR ANY CRITICISM THEY'LL NOT TRY IT AGAIN is some bogus slippery slope thinking. And if that's all it takes to scare someone off, I doubt their commitment to fair representation in the first place.

The only thing I was trying to say about this was that the criticism should be coupled with pointing out what they did correctly

I DO think that if you go out on a limb to try something and get slapped down you are less likely to try it again. Why wouldn't you be?

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Sucker Punch could have easily used a real tribe, and easily hired someone for consultation.

And it would have been real cool if they did. Full stop.

This OH NO IF THEY HEAR ANY CRITICISM THEY'LL NOT TRY IT AGAIN is some bogus slippery slope thinking. And if that's all it takes to scare someone off, I doubt their commitment to fair representation in the first place.

The only thing I was trying to say about this was that the criticism should be coupled with pointing out what they did correctly

I DO think that if you go out on a limb to try something and get slapped down you are less likely to try it again. Why wouldn't you be?

Part of being a professional level writer is learning how to take honest criticism and use that to, you know, improve your writing. Same goes for any professional work, really.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Like, this is what peer groups are for among like-minded authors.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    And Pooro totally pointed out what they could do instead. I pointed out an alternative!

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Dubh I'm not arguing with you on this point at all, clearly they could have handled it better

Pooro said they should not be given any credit for just trying and not succeeding, and that they were not owed any deference or positive reinforcement

That's the part I disagree with

They made a cool character who is a member of a minority that a lot of people enjoy and I think that's worth at least throwing them a bone at before telling them "but you did it wrong and here's what you should have done"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Okay yeah my username is bluedude152

Send me invites peeps

....God why didnt I at least capitalize that

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Dubh I'm not arguing with you on this point at all, clearly they could have handled it better

Pooro said they should not be given any credit for just trying and not succeeding, and that they were not owed any deference or positive reinforcement

They made a cool character who is a member of a minority that a lot of people enjoy and I think that's worth at least throwing them a bone at before telling them "but you did it wrong and here's what you should have done"

Pooro also did that! You're not really listening to him.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Like man I didn't mean to start such a shitstorm but really all I'm trying to say is I think when people make moves to try to increase diversity that a little positive reinforcement is probably worth trying before giving your caveats and everything else

It's still hard to get people to make games that arent about white males and I just don't think the best strategy is to give them disincentive to do that without at least acknowledging they are trying to do something good

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Chincy, your gun and badge

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    tumblr_lrezeq3yIY1qk26dzo1_500.gif

I think we need to have a long discussion on who the best Crazy Taxi character is

it's b.d. joe OF COURSE IT'S B.D. JOE

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    The answer is whoever had the rickshaw

• Options

I don't see that anywhere?

In fact I see him questioning their motives for even having a native american protagonist?

• Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    My knowledge of crazy taxi comes exclusively from that gif so

I'm gonna have to go with leopard print tank top+knock off chucks, I mean come on. Axel does have the coolest looking car though.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    From the comment section of the "what's wrong with the metal gear ending?" article.
    The other day I read about human slaughter houses that are being run by the rebels in Syria. They're decapitating Christians and Muslims who won't radicalize and hanging them upside down like cattle. And that some hospitals in the UK are incinerating aborted babies to heat their buildings. THAT is ugliness and something to get upset about. Not the implication of a digital bomb getting shoved inside a digital uterus that also happens to be imaginary.

I'm just... 'THIS THING IS WORSE! YOU CAN'T GET ANGRY!' is such a shitty excuse for anything.

• Options

In fact I see him questioning their motives for even having a native american protagonist?

HM-HattieMcDaniel-GWTW-1939-sneaky.png

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    From the comment section of the "what's wrong with the metal gear ending?" article.
    The other day I read about human slaughter houses that are being run by the rebels in Syria. They're decapitating Christians and Muslims who won't radicalize and hanging them upside down like cattle. And that some hospitals in the UK are incinerating aborted babies to heat their buildings. THAT is ugliness and something to get upset about. Not the implication of a digital bomb getting shoved inside a digital uterus that also happens to be imaginary.

I'm just... 'THIS THING IS WORSE! YOU CAN'T GET ANGRY!' is such a shitty excuse for anything.

It and it's cousin false equivalency are sadly super common

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    jesus christ chincy just stop

just

fucking

stop

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

This image is amazing

• Options

This image is amazing

also somewhat relevant to the discussion

the way to win with people like Chincy is not to argue with them at all, because they aren't going to budge no matter what

total waste of time

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

I remember when I was a kid, there was a character in His Dark Materials who was described as Yoruba (a tribe in Nigeria). Just that one line blew me away, it was insane - like, you get characters who are black, or even African all the time, it doesn't mean anything. This was a fuckin' throwaway description about a nothing character, and it meant the world to me.

Making a generic minority character ain't worth a whole lot, and doesn't really deserve any kind of bone being thrown. They can pat themselves on the back if they like.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I had a speech class back in college and we talked all about logical fallacies and all sorts of conversational boo-boos.
    For practice we had to make an argument using as many of them as possible. I wanted to forcibly eject my skeleton from my body

• Options
    jesus christ chincy just stop

just

fucking

stop

I genuinely don't understand why what I am saying is apparently such a problem

Again, not trying to be a dick

I am just incredibly confused about why this stance is so terrible

Yeah this isn't helping me understand

• Options
    I had a speech class back in college and we talked all about logical fallacies and all sorts of conversational boo-boos.
    For practice we had to make an argument using as many of them as possible. I wanted to forcibly eject my skeleton from my body

oh god, I would have to leave the room

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

and people have tried to explain it to you and it hasn't worked and we'd all rather the conversation just end right now

• Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    I've been slowly working through the GDC stream thing, lots of great moments in there. I really really liked the live performance of the song from Samurai Gun, I've never seen electronic(?) music performed before and it was fucking rad.

I wanna try some Buckfast.

• Options
    edited March 2014

and people have tried to explain it to you and it hasn't worked and we'd all rather the conversation just end right now

Edit:

Dropp'd

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Fez is out today for PS3/PS4/Vita, with cross-buy and I think cross-play?

This may finally be the time I get into Fez

Third time's the charm, right?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Fez is out today for PS3/PS4/Vita, with cross-buy and I think cross-play?

This may finally be the time I get into Fez

Third time's the charm, right?

If you somehow still haven't osmosed much information about Fez's puzzles its absolutely worth your time yes

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I want my Octodad. They said March and now it's not coming out in March.

• Options
    I know what the secret "second game" of Fez is, but I don't know any of the actual solutions

i did hear that you can hold up to fly though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I know what the secret "second game" of Fez is, but I don't know any of the actual solutions
    i did hear that you can hold up to fly though

then yeah you should totally go for it

If nothing else I bet it looks great on a Vita screen

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Axel has the best car, BD Joe's cool and Gena's the fiery redhead. The real question is: Who the hell plays as Gus?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Like man I didn't mean to start such a shitstorm but really all I'm trying to say is I think when people make moves to try to increase diversity that a little positive reinforcement is probably worth trying before giving your caveats and everything else

It's still hard to get people to make games that arent about white males and I just don't think the best strategy is to give them disincentive to do that without at least acknowledging they are trying to do something good
    But Pooro is just venting to people here on the forums (who asked him about it specifically), not sending a letter to Sucker Punch.

Also Chincy, I don't think you intend this but you probably should know that "well, maybe people would listen if you weren't so angry and were a bit nicer about it" comes up constantly whenever questions of racism/sexism/etc are raised (and it's always directed at the person pointing it out). And the goalposts on what tone is acceptable are constantly moving -- in this case just plain old frustrated annoyance is considered too angry (and if this isn't a thing you're allowed to be annoyed about, what is????). So uh, you are gonna get some pushback when you say that.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    seasleepy wrote: »

But Pooro is just venting to people here on the forums (who asked him about it specifically), not sending a letter to Sucker Punch.

Also Chincy, I don't think you intend this but you probably should know that "well, maybe people would listen if you weren't so angry and were a bit nicer about it" comes up constantly whenever questions of racism/sexism/etc are raised (and it's always directed at the person pointing it out). And the goalposts on what tone is acceptable are constantly moving -- in this case just plain old frustrated annoyance is considered too angry (and if this isn't a thing you're allowed to be annoyed about, what is????). So uh, you are gonna get some pushback when you say that.

That wasn't what I intended, but I got it

As TDOT said, I think now is a good time to move on

Edit:

Thread, I am sorry I pooped all over everything

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grkgLCqQrFc

Can't wait for some new Trials.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I don't know if my heart can handle another Trials

But I'll damn sure try

• Options

oh god, I would have to leave the room

It was one of the greatest tests of my patience ever, and I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old

• Options
    A trailer
    in the year of our lord two thousand and fourteen
    still using the phrase 'epic fails'.

Game looks fun though

This discussion has been closed.