• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    what the fuck does Keikaku mean

someone explain it to me quickly before I lose my mind
    Translator Note: Keikaku means plan

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.

Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. For the past few years, this has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about. We have a lot more to do on mobile, but at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.

This is where Oculus comes in. They build virtual reality technology, like the Oculus Rift headset. When you put it on, you enter a completely immersive computer-generated environment, like a game or a movie scene or a place far away. The incredible thing about the technology is that you feel like you're actually present in another place with other people. People who try it say it's different from anything they've ever experienced in their lives.

Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences.

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.

These are just some of the potential uses. By working with developers and partners across the industry, together we can build many more. One day, we believe this kind of immersive, augmented reality will become a part of daily life for billions of people.

Virtual reality was once the dream of science fiction. But the internet was also once a dream, and so were computers and smartphones. The future is coming and we have a chance to build it together. I can't wait to start working with the whole team at Oculus to bring this future to the world, and to unlock new worlds for all of us.

That doesn't sound...too bad?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I wonder what John Carmack is thinking right now?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    What does Facebook buying Oculus actually mean

Is the Oculus Rift still coming out as planned, and Facebook just wants to make the money off of it?

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »

Well with all his great work on latency, we'll know 12 milliseconds faster!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I wonder if valve is going to take a step back from Occulus now; maybe even reverse plans on not releasing their own hardware.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    that seems like a weird match up

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BjmsGTICUAAjlKo.jpg:large

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus

"Cha-CHING!"

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    WhatsApp is apparently worth 10 Oculus'es

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

"Cha-CHING!"

Well, probably a spare Cha-CHING he had laying around from a decade of printing money at id.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I would like to petition for Xavier Woods to be a character in the inevitable Windjammers remake. As support I present this gif:

fWZXERT.gif

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't Carmack was at Occulus just for the money.

Getting a cut of $2 billion is a nice bonus though.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Like this could be a good thing. They get a steady flow of money. Facebook uses its influence to possibly get more developers on board. It makes it more mainstream possibly since Facebook will probably help advertise. Once the gaming stuff is out Facebook uses it to try and change communication?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Of course he wasn't there for the money.

But they asked what Carmack was thinking right now.

And when the company he is helping head just got a $400million cash payout, I'd imagine it'd be hard to think about anything but SOLID GOLD COCAINE for the next couple of days.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also this is the first solid step to becoming the future in that Ready Player One book.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I refuse to believe this is the death of Oculus as a relevant thing

I'm all for it being expanded to have broad applications

Like Patrick was talking on the Morning Show today, I really like the idea that for architects designing homes, they could digitally model the layout of the house and have the owners virtually walk around in it and see how the design would work out

This thing has a lot of practical application and honestly video games are the least interesting use for it I can think of

Sony will have theirs, and that will be very games-centric

I WANT one of these things to have crazy Facebook fuck-you money and get ambitious with it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    What does Facebook buying Oculus actually mean

Is the Oculus Rift still coming out as planned, and Facebook just wants to make the money off of it?
    Generally tech acquisitions like this either mean:
    a) You are creating a thing that is going to make truckloads of money. We would like truckloads of money. Proceed.
    2) You have a lot of smart people. We would like your smart people. All of your smart people now work for us. Forget the thing you were working on before.

Unfortunately the buyer will say the same thing whether a) or 2) is the case. (It's a positive sign that they say they're going to allow Oculus to continue working independently, but.... This is a pretty wide departure from most of their other acquisitions though.)

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Man GB just has nothing in the upcoming ticker.

Diablo expansion? Bioshock DLC? Cabela's Big Game Hunter Pro Hunts?

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Truthfully, Rank's probably right about how John Carmack is feeling right now.

But in my headcanon he never wanted to work for Facebook and he's basically Gob from the new Arrested Development.

Sitting in a chair, camera slowly pushing in, while 'Sound of Silence' plays.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I refuse to believe this is the death of Oculus as a relevant thing

I'm all for it being expanded to have broad applications

Like Patrick was talking on the Morning Show today, I really like the idea that for architects designing homes, they could digitally model the layout of the house and have the owners virtually walk around in it and see how the design would work out

This thing has a lot of practical application and honestly video games are the least interesting use for it I can think of

Sony will have theirs, and that will be very games-centric

I WANT one of these things to have crazy Facebook fuck-you money and get ambitious with it

I agree with pretty much everything here, but I've seen far, far too many creative and innovative studios get bought out by big-money public companies that swear up and down that they'll just let them continue doing what they do best and provide them with their resources and contacts only to see the studio get gutted and tank within a year or two.

This COULD be a really positive thing.

But I kinda doubt it.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, this could actually be really good for Occulus. Or it could be the end of it. We will just have to wait and see.

Either way, with Morpheus and others on the way VR stuff is going to be interesting to watch.

• Options
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, this could actually be really good for Occulus. Or it could be the end of it. We will just have to wait and see.

Either way, with Morpheus and others on the way VR stuff is going to be interesting to watch.

I'm sure that Carmak wouldn't have gone along with this if he thought it would be the end of the technology

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Pretty much what Rank said. Facebook has a pretty terrible track record of buying shit and fucking it up. Maybe they'll be smart enough to leave the Occulus rift team alone, or maybe they'll decide doing X is in facebooks best interest, even if it's not in Occulus'.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    what in the actual fuck?!?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Sony talked a lot about non-game stuff for the Morpheus, I think. They are a lot more than just a game company, after all. Think they were talking about medical uses some?

• Options
    I don't think Sony is getting into VR just for games.

I think, like Microsoft with Kinect, they see a potential for huge growth in the area and games are just a way of bringing into the public consciousness.

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    When that awesome trailer for Crawl debuted at the beginning of this month I was super optimistic about the game.

Just watched the guys play through it on UPF and now I am fucking pumped for the game. I'd buy an Early Access version, even!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Captain K wrote: »
    When that awesome trailer for Crawl debuted at the beginning of this month I was super optimistic about the game.

Just watched the guys play through it on UPF and now I am fucking pumped for the game. I'd buy an Early Access version, even!

Does it have online?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    The people behind Oculus Rift put a lot of heart into making it perfect. I worry that getting bought by a major corporation is going to subject it to being cheapened so it can spit out more money per unit.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    So when society collapses, we'll have to grow VR crops to help us cope with the loss of real crops?

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

Does this mean Pewdiepie is more likely to get fired for making rape jokes

Because that would be an acceptable outcome

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »

Does this mean Pewdiepie is more likely to get fired for making rape jokes

Because that would be an acceptable outcome

One can only hope

• Options
    So when society collapses, we'll have to grow VR crops to help us cope with the loss of real crops?

oh GOD I NEED TO KNOW WHAT PHIL FISH THINKS OF THIS

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    Captain K wrote: »

Does it have online?

Yeah, I wouldn't be paying it any mind if it was local multiplayer only.

This discussion has been closed.