As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] Comic #4 Out Now!

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

Awesoming this for using Baker Street.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I am amazed at how far dickbutt has come.

Jesus Christ, dickbutt is approaching 10 years old.

The Batman edit is my favorite.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Yeahhhhh but I'm too lazy for trading.

one just happened to drop for me, sent you a trade

Sweet, griping about my own laziness doesn't usually work out this well.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I am also looking for a base jumper because I sold the one I crafted when it was still worth like two rec
    don't really want to craft another
    (it's also the only of the new weps I've never had drop... I think I've found three classics, after the one I crafted)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Well with my luck I'll probably have one drop ~5 minutes into the next game, so you can have that one.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    I am also looking for a base jumper because I sold the one I crafted when it was still worth like two rec
    (it's also the only of the new weps I've never had drop... I think I've found three classics, after the one I crafted)

TF2 Warehouse has them for trade for the equivalent of a scrap

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I do appreciate the new news post, which talks about a new server mod called Arena: Respawn.
    Arena: Respawn is an Arena mode server mod created by awk and seven from Win/Lose/Continue, with a creative twist: capturing a point respawns of all the dead players on your team, and capping or standing on a point you already own marks you for death.

Not yet publicly available (since it sounds like it's currently kind of complex to set up), but they have some servers setup on their Steam group.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Oh god I did a bad thing.

I used the enforcer. And I did way better with it that any other revolver.

Someone take me out behind the shed, the disease is inside me.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Oh god I did a bad thing.

I used the enforcer. And I did way better with it that any other revolver.

Someone take me out behind the shed, the disease is inside me.

While you're feeling awful for being a scrub, I'd highly suggest this skin. I really dislike how the normal enforcer looks (mostly because of the grip), and that skin makes you feel like much more of a badass (and makes the enforcer looks like it deserves that damage bonus)

now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go rank my strange specialized enforcer on a 100% crits server

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    gtrmp wrote: »

that's actually like 2.5 scrap and I don't have anything that will conveniently translate to that many credits (since you can never actually trade metal in on that site)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I actually rather dislike the huge/realistic revolver skins. Which made finding a smaller looking skin for my Ambassador a pain in the ass, let me tell you.

I'm using this right now.

4eb2a856019fc.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Nice!

• Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    I want someone on the workshop to make a spy revolver that pops out of his sleeve to match the hidden blade. And then I want it to be put in the game so I can use it.

and while I'm dreaming, I'd like a million dollars and a pony.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I want someone on the workshop to make a spy revolver that pops out of his sleeve to match the hidden blade. And then I want it to be put in the game so I can use it.

and while I'm dreaming, I'd like a million dollars and a pony.

There are ponies that are worth a million dollars. You might want to just take the pony and sell it for another million.

And then use that two million to buy every unusual hat and fancy gun in TF2.

488W936.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Is there something I can do about the revolvers' reload animations? Particularly the Ambassador's. They get in the way of the cross-hair. I like auto-reload for everything except that. Is there a way to either change the animation for the revolvers or a script to turn off auto-reload for only revolvers?

SirToasty on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Yeah, each class can have its own config file.

Just put cl_autoreload 0 in spy.cfg and you're good to go.

Also put cl_autoreload 1 in all the other class configs. The class specific config files get executed every time you swap classes.

Niiiiiiice

• MrBrickMrBrick Underneath pub furniture.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

that's actually like 2.5 scrap and I don't have anything that will conveniently translate to that many credits (since you can never actually trade metal in on that site)
    scrap.tf for all your scrapping and weapon buying needs.

Edit : If you get sick of queuing then I can do whatever for you, I've got a premium account there.

MrBrick on
  • GoldenCoalGoldenCoal Registered User regular
    I was just thinking about maps we never play anymore. One thing I realized is that we hardly play 5CP anymore unless it's Glassworks. I literally forgot that Fastlane and Coldfront existed, and that Yukon is an official map. Also, is there a reason why we hate Pipeline over the other plr maps? We still play Hightower and Nightfall occasionally, but I cannot remember the last time we played Pipeline.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I like granary and well

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    well, Yukon is an awful map

but I for one would like to see more non-yukon-5cp when HonCing

and less a/d, but I know that wouldn't go over too well with you nerds

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    granary is the most boring map

I keep intending to beg everyone to play cp_crater more, but I haven't been around on honc night lately and I need to push out an updated version anyways.

pipeline was the first plr map and it really shows. it drags out in the middle stage where the cart goes on a death march through the train tunnel, and the last stage just doesn't have anything to it - half the time you'll see one team push their cart almost all the way up to the point in the time it takes the other team to respawn once.

i like fastlane a lot, probably because the last point is hard to turtle on but still pretty defensible. i know coldfront used to get a lot more play on honc than it has lately. (and warmfront's fine too; it's probably the superior version of coldfront in terms of gameplay but i still prefer the winter theme)

granary and foundry and well are all boring maps. they're too big and too wide-open, and the last point on well suuuucks

i wish they'd do official koth versions of the arena-only maps. a koth version of lumberyard as-is would probably play better than some maps that were actually designed for koth. and i really like doublecross's layout, and wish it'd stayed as a cp map like it apparently was early in its development instead of getting released as (hack, spit) ctf

then again, i'm the one guy who likes doomsday, so what do i know

GoldenCoal wrote: »
    I was just thinking about maps we never play anymore. One thing I realized is that we hardly play 5CP anymore unless it's Glassworks. I literally forgot that Fastlane and Coldfront existed, and that Yukon is an official map. Also, is there a reason why we hate Pipeline over the other plr maps? We still play Hightower and Nightfall occasionally, but I cannot remember the last time we played Pipeline.

I feel like the only time we play Nightfall is when I nominate it and it doesn't go up against the server favourites/I ask in chat for people to vote for it.

And if I'm being honest, while I like the way Nightfall plays a good bit, I really try to get it voted in because I love that map aesthetically. More maps need to have rainy weather.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    it's because the server still has the horrible plugin where it prefers arena mode with a low player count

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Pfft, Foundry is a fine map. There are certainly issues with it but the fighting areas are good.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised ctf_well doesn't get played more. Of the CTF maps it's probably the most fun (there's way more approaches to the cap than other CTF maps and sentries have difficulty covering it all) and it's the one that's the easiest to just TDM in the mid area if you're bored. Yet most CTF servers seem stuck on Turbine and 2fort with sometimes maybe Doublecross.

(we don't talk about ctf_sawmill *shudder*)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    having fun in well lives and dies by whether or not someone is babysitting a level 3 sentry on the last point. god help you if there are two engies on both teams.

and the midpoint on the ctf version feels sparse in an almost unfinished kind of way, like you can clearly tell which part of the map had a massive chunk just chopped out of it.

edited September 2014
    having fun in well lives and dies by whether or not someone is babysitting a level 3 sentry on the last point. god help you if there are two engies on both teams.

get a direct hit: problem solved

(alternately a good demo with stickies/loch)

(both are usually best from the top balcony)

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I like Yukon. :(

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    The core concept of CTF is not enjoyable in TF2 for me. A single central location that can be locked down by however many people feel like being bored 2/3rds of the match, the teams divided among two goals (defend your flag/ capture theirs), and that all of the "glory" ends up going to who ever manages to get the flag and run it back most of the time. It's all or nothing, with the latter winning out more often than not.

The new Robot Destruction mode is an improvement on these issues, allowing more players to get in on the action in smaller bit-sized chunks (capturing points via robot kills) while still allowing for the big pushes and captures (getting the main power core from the other team), but still isn't quite there to make me want to play it.

I like my fighting to be dynamic. Payload directs the combat to a single moving location, so everyone has the same point of interest, but the landscape of the fight is constantly changing. 5CP is like a less analog version of Payload where the focal point makes quick jumps as points are captured. The front line of the fight is a constant back and forth, providing opportunities for everyone to help out in some way to turn the tide of the fight and pushing the opposing team back to the next "checkpoint". Same with 2CP maps like Stoneyridge and Gorge, on a smaller, less dynamic, scale.

Those modes feel like TF2 to me. CTF doesn't.

Just my opinion, though.

• GoldenCoalGoldenCoal Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Now that I think about it, I'm surprised ctf_well doesn't get played more. Of the CTF maps it's probably the most fun (there's way more approaches to the cap than other CTF maps and sentries have difficulty covering it all) and it's the one that's the easiest to just TDM in the mid area if you're bored. Yet most CTF servers seem stuck on Turbine and 2fort with sometimes maybe Doublecross

I think I've played ctf_well maybe twice. I have to confess that I actually really like Doublecross, I've almost always have fun.

Thinking about it some more I think that in general PA likes games with consistent progress and dynamic movement. Which is why we don't have many engineers. 5CP maps can get into a stalemate more easily, and so I think the opinion of them is lower because of that (it's definitely why we don't play ctf pretty much at all).

Edit: I was writing this before Crash posted. So that's some validation to this claim.

GoldenCoal on
    Doublecross is probably one of my "favorite" CTF maps. But that isn't saying much about it.

It's enjoyable to fight on, but still suffers from the above listed CTF issues.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The problem with CTF is that there is little to no meaningful way for anyone who is not the flag carrier to contribute to the objective. A control point or payload bomb can be captured by an entire team at once, while the flag can only be carried by one Scout. That leaves everyone else just sort of deathmatching and playing suppression, rather than focusing their efforts on advancing the objective.

Now, maybe you could do something cool with some kind of multi-PLR where you're trying to pull the payload cart(s) out of the enemy base.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    multiple-briefcase CTF

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Kupi wrote: »
    The problem with CTF is that there is little to no meaningful way for anyone who is not the flag carrier to contribute to the objective. A control point or payload bomb can be captured by an entire team at once, while the flag can only be carried by one Scout. That leaves everyone else just sort of deathmatching and playing suppression, rather than focusing their efforts on advancing the objective.

Now, maybe you could do something cool with some kind of multi-PLR where you're trying to pull the payload cart(s) out of the enemy base.

Well I contribute to CTF by sitting in the flag room listening to a sentry beap for half an hour.

No one invites me to CTF parties :(

X22wmuF.jpg
    Kupi wrote: »

That does sound kind of neat. Payload race where your cart starts off in their base and vice-versa.

I kind of want to try it sometime.

This discussion has been closed.