As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Steam Thread Tournament

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Battle Thirty-Nine

Krummith waited a moment, unsure if he'd struck a killing blow or not. But Krackq's mouth movements had stopped and his bulging eye suddenly focused steadily on Krummith. His next attack was blocked by Krackq's shield. He'd barely reacted to the horrendous wound. It should have been bleeding profusely all over the arena floor but just a weak flow ran down his armor. The color seemed off and it carried a pungent odor. Krummith was startled as Krackq launched at him with another flurry of swings. As Krummith struggled to parry and block the blows his hands began to grow sore just from the force of the impacts. Krackq wasn't relenting this time, he just kept on swinging erratic patterns. But Krummith had no choice but to focus on protecting himself at the moment. Krackq's mouth was open wide now as if he were screaming, but only a hoarse groan escaped.

Krummith Health 18
    Krackq Health 09 01

Geth roll 1d20+08 for Krummith's Attack
    Geth roll 1d20+12 for Krummith's Defend
    Geth roll 1d20+12 for Krackq's Attack
    Geth roll 1d20+14 for Krackq's Defend

Krummith's Attack:
    1d20+08 14 [1d20=6]
    Krummith's Defend:
    1d20+12 24 [1d20=12]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 16 [1d20=4]
    Krackq's Defend:
    1d20+14 20 [1d20=6]

• Options
    Battle Thirty-Nine

Krackq was feeling better. A pleasant warmth was filling him up from inside his chest. He hadn't much felt like fighting today, which was unusual. But now he was feeling it. Krummith was pretty good. He was keeping up with his attacks, but he didn't really get it. It wasn't just about defense. If he wasn't willing to get hurt how was he supposed to win? Dyvim Tvar had joined the others in the Imperial section but yelled out in support of Krackq. It was only ever about the fighting for Krackq. He didn't care about the prize, or being champion. He was just glad he could do what he was good at and people would like him for it. Usually it just got him in trouble. He kicked out some sand at Krummith, causing the other fighter to cough and blink. He hoped once he was champion they'd still let him fight. If they told him couldn't, well he'd just have to fight them too. He surged on feeling confident. This was the best he'd felt in a while.

Krummith Health 18
    Krackq Health 09 01

Krummith's Attack:
    1d20+08 19 [1d20=11]
    Krummith's Defend:
    1d20+12 24 [1d20=12]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 22 [1d20=10]
    Krackq's Defend:
    1d20+14 30 [1d20=16]

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Nice they changed the arena to one where you can fight on the ceiling.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Battle Thirty-Nine

Krummith was out of breath and beginning to worry. Krackq should really be dead already. If not from all his previous injuries, then certainly the one Krummith had just opened up. The frenzied attacks had shown no sign of letting up. Finally Krummith blocked a swing from Krackq's gladius with his gauntlet and took the opportunity to roll to one side and quickly jog a few steps out of Krackq's reach. He needed a quick rest. But Krackq wasn't going to give it to him. The frightening ghoul was beginning to get louder. The low groan was quickly becoming a proper yell. As Krummith dodged off to the side, Krackq slid to a halt, turned, and ran after him. He was on Krummith again in moments, and had varied up his attacks even more. He led with a shield bash that Krummith was forced to dodge back from. He followed that with some stabs, that Krummith turned aside. The battle continued as the crowd roared above.

Krummith Health 18
    Krackq Health 09 01

Krummith's Attack:
    1d20+08 9 [1d20=1]
    Krummith's Defend:
    1d20+12 26 [1d20=14]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 15 [1d20=3]
    Krackq's Defend:
    1d20+14 16 [1d20=2]

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Battle Thirty-Nine

Krackq's phantoms had begun to surround the battling gladiators. He didn't mind if they wanted to watch, as long as the stayed out of the way. With the exception of Dyvim Tvar, they were calling out to Krummith, urging him to fight harder. Which was dumb because clearly he couldn't hear them. Krummith finally lunged at Krackq with his gladius, daring an attack. Krackq stepped out of the way and tripped the other gladiator as he passed. Krummith scrambled on the ground as Krackq quickly move to stab him. But Krackq halted midway. A new ghost was standing on the sidelines. But the figure was mostly formless, its face a swirling mist. Krackq asked "Who the hell are you?" It seemed oddly familiar. But Krackq was busy now, he'd have to figure it out later. Krummith had already scrambled a few feet away and was getting back to his feet. Krackq charged for him with his sword ready.

Krummith Health 18
    Krackq Health 09 01

Krummith's Attack:
    1d20+08 12 [1d20=4]
    Krummith's Defend:
    1d20+12 23 [1d20=11]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 26 [1d20=14]
    Krackq's Defend:
    1d20+14 29 [1d20=15]

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Battle Thirty-Nine

Krummith caught the gladius in his gauntlet about halfway down the blade. The end of it had pierced his chest near his left shoulder. Krackq had him cold a moment ago but had spaced out again. Now he was sort of laughing as he pushed harder on the sword, and it slid a bit deeper. Krummith held on as best he could to prevent it from going any further. Once he had his feet back under him properly, he pushed the blade away as he stepped back. The wound wasn't too bad, but Krackq was on the attack again. Krummith ducked under the shield as Krackq swung the edge of it at him. Krackq blocked Krummith's own sword swing with his blade. Krackq glanced over his shoulder at the mystery phantom, but he was no longer there.

Krummith Health 18 15
    Krackq Health 09 01

Krummith's Attack:
    1d20+08 13 [1d20=5]
    Krummith's Defend:
    1d20+12 19 [1d20=7]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 30 [1d20=18]
    Krackq's Defend:
    1d20+14 20 [1d20=6]

akajaybay on
  • Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Week Twelve

Big Dookie had won, everything was falling into place. Shade had been disposed of. He was sorry to lose him. He's been an excellent weapon. But, he knew far too much. Gruberman was dead too, along with anyone else who might be a threat. So many years of planning. The Steam Thread had been dominant for long enough. It was time for a new thread to take its place. Origin was growing into a respectable service. Iolo's mistake was starving the people of games. Well Big Dookie would bring them games. Free games once a month even. And everyone wanted to try out Titanfall. Even Sim City had been updated recently. With the Empire under his control, he'd guide them to make the right decision. Steam was over. It was the age of Origin now. Just a few last things to take care of. Visskar had arrived. News of Taramoor's death had arrived before him. The people would be outraged, most definitely. But Big Dookie would give them his killer. A man driven by irrational revenge. Visskar had been even more useful than Shade. So easy to manipulate. "Well done, well done!" Big Dookie stood and embraced Visskar as he entered. Later, the staff would arrive to find them both dead. Big Dookie had been stabbed repeatedly. Visskar it seemed took his own life afterwards.

Loved my role in the storyline, and watching my thug alter ego do his thing, was well worth not making the cut to be in the tournament. Thanks @akajaybay for giving us parts in all of this as well!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Battle Thirty-Nine

Krackq quickly raised his shield as he turned back around and blocked a swing from Krummith. Finally he was showing a bit more fight. Krummith sliced down at an angle, but Krackq parried. Krummith then actually tried to punch him with his metal gauntlet thing. But Krackq brought his shield up to block. Krackq sidestepped to avoid an overhead swing, and slashed his gladius across Krummith chest from the upper left to the lower right, followed by another slash in opposite direction. Krummith blue leather armor parted easily and blood gushed from the deep cuts. Krummith froze in pain and shock and his eyes were rolling back into his head but he didn't fall. Krackq hoped he didn't pass out for this. One more ought to do it. The ghosts of his past victims floated in closer, Dyvim hung back but clapped. The assembled spirits looked disheartened as Krummith wavered. The new phantom had reappeared behind Krummith. The mist seemed denser, more complete. Krackq could almost make out who it was now. But first to finish the job at hand.

Krummith Health 18 15 04
    Krackq Health 09 01

Krummith's Attack:
    1d20+08 28 [1d20=20]
    Krummith's Defend:
    1d20+12 16 [1d20=4]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 24 [1d20=12]
    Krackq's Defend:
    1d20+14 30 [1d20=16]

• Options
    Battle Thirty-Nine

Krackq's blade went clean through Krummith abdomen and came out an angle. His wounds already likely lethal, Krummith dropped to the ground. Krackq was glad he showed up today. He was really not feeling up to it this morning. But this had been a good fight. He frowned though as a painful ache was setting in on his side. The wound he'd taken early on actually seemed to be pretty bad. As the medical team ran over and fussed over him, they expressed their usual astonishment at his survival. He waved to the assembled ghosts, now joined by their new member Krummith. The shade had fully coalesced, and was looking down at his body with a vacant expression. The other phantoms walked away from Krummith in disgust. Their near freedom snatched away from them again. There was always next time. Maybe Icemopper would be the one to put an end to it. Krackq continued to wave at the ghosts as they dispersed and the crowd cheered and waved back.

Krummith Health 18 15 04 (-04)
    Krackq Health 09 01

r1a5m43.jpg

• Options
    So looks like it's Icemopper Vs Krackq for the final.
    Give me a little bit to get your stuff together for you Krummith. Have to take care of a few things before I can get to it.

• Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    That was awesome!

Thanks @akajaybay‌ for running this.

@Icemopper I will cheer for you from beyond the grave!

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    I don't know who to root for after that match for the finale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Oh that was insane! He came back from the brink of sure death!

I may have just a little fear going forward, but I know my steel is true, and my heart is a ruthless killing machine. Bring it on @krackq‌

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    You root for me! One-armed zombie kings are no joke!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    @Krummith‌ , I am saddened to see you felled by such a beast, but I shall not let your soul perish without vengeance!

Ah, oops. Quoted myself instead of editing!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Scratchy wrote: »
    I don't know who to root for after that match for the finale.
    Krackq seems to be fulfilling your undying wreck of a gladiator dream complete with facial damage.
    I really thought it was likely Krummith was just about to do that last point of damage and was trying to setup the distracted by your own ghost thing. Like oh it's me, oh I'm dead.
    But it worked for the other way around too I guess.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    I figured it out! @krackq avenge me! But make it quick, @Icemopper deserves that much for freeing me from this mortal coil. Ice it's pretty nice down here. If we toil long enough we are allowed to rise again as a half bunny monstrosity during the next full moon. Sure its indentured servitude but eventually you make management and then your skin is only flayed from your body twice a day!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    @akajaybay spills class like his gladiators have spilled blood across the Colosseum!

For being brutally slaughtered by @krackq I have been showered with gifts!

First, Pixeljunk Eden!
    Second, Reus!
    Third, Gone Home!
    Fourth, Banner Saga!
    And the killing blow,
    Fifth, Child Of Light!

I am absolutely astounded by this level of class! Akajaybay is a geneleman among gentlemen!
    Thank you so much for the gifts and for running this fantastic contest!

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Good lord, once the barbarian gets a little bloodied, it's only a matter of time while the killcam winds up.
    Visskar wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Week Twelve

Big Dookie had won, everything was falling into place. Shade had been disposed of. He was sorry to lose him. He's been an excellent weapon. But, he knew far too much. Gruberman was dead too, along with anyone else who might be a threat. So many years of planning. The Steam Thread had been dominant for long enough. It was time for a new thread to take its place. Origin was growing into a respectable service. Iolo's mistake was starving the people of games. Well Big Dookie would bring them games. Free games once a month even. And everyone wanted to try out Titanfall. Even Sim City had been updated recently. With the Empire under his control, he'd guide them to make the right decision. Steam was over. It was the age of Origin now. Just a few last things to take care of. Visskar had arrived. News of Taramoor's death had arrived before him. The people would be outraged, most definitely. But Big Dookie would give them his killer. A man driven by irrational revenge. Visskar had been even more useful than Shade. So easy to manipulate. "Well done, well done!" Big Dookie stood and embraced Visskar as he entered. Later, the staff would arrive to find them both dead. Big Dookie had been stabbed repeatedly. Visskar it seemed took his own life afterwards.

Loved my role in the storyline, and watching my thug alter ego do his thing, was well worth not making the cut to be in the tournament. Thanks @akajaybay for giving us parts in all of this as well!

Your location text works exceedingly well with that blurb.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Krummith wrote:
    @akajaybay spills class like his gladiators have spilled blood across the Colosseum!

For being brutally slaughtered by krackq I have been showered with gifts!

First, Pixeljunk Eden!
    Second, Reus!
    Third, Gone Home!
    Fourth, Banner Saga!
    And the killing blow,
    Fifth, Child Of Light!

I am absolutely astounded by this level of class! Akajaybay is a geneleman among gentlemen!
    Thank you so much for the gifts and for running this fantastic contest!

Akajaybay was not done...I'm completely overwhelmed....

Sixth, Incredipede!
    Seventh, SpeedRunners!
    Eighth, State Of Decay!

I have no words other than thank you.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That was incredible.

• Options
    The end is coming! It's so close.

3ivsKUD.jpg
    @Icemopper @‌krackq

• Options
    BRING IT ON!

• Options
    krackqkrackq Registered User regular
    Damn that was a nail-biter! I'm surprised I didn't just bleed out, but apparently I'm insane. Here's to debauchery and craziness all around!!

Best fight ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ha ha, excellent avatar change, @Krummith. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Ha ha, excellent avatar change, @Krummith. :)

It somehow seemed appropriate.

Although after what akajaybay gifted me, perhaps games should have come out instead of blood.

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    That last fight was insane, he even bested my limit break from the earlier matches. This last fight is going to be spectacular.

When does Spartacus rebel during all of this though? :P

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    I actually think we're likely overdue for an anti-climatic one shot round one or two victory.
    I'm sticking by my short final fight prediction.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    After being away from the thread for nearly 2 weeks I'm so stoked to finally be back for the final fight! It's continued to be an amazing read, @akajaybay‌. This is a wonderful creation for our community to enjoy.

Hail @icemopper!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Battle Forty
    Final Battle

It was a period of renewal for the Empire. The Senate was being restored. All of the restrictive games regulations were being lifted. Citizens who had been imprisoned simply for buying an illicit copy of a newer game were due to be released. There was even talk of preparing for a fresh campaign into the Summer Dale. The tournament was the final bit of unfinished business. People were sorry to see it go, but it was also one of the few remaining marks left by Emperor Iolo. Once the tournament was complete it felt like the Empire could truly move on to something new and exciting.

So as expected the attendance was as high as it had ever been. The day became an unofficial holiday. Everyone wanted to be able to listen to the match as it happened. The cheers from inside the Colosseum alerted the crowd in the outer square that the gladiators had arrived. Icemopper was the family favorite. The gladiator was a friendly face for the tournament. He'd earned a reputation for being accommodating and welcoming to all his fans. His heartfelt speech about his former teammate Krummith was the talk of the town. His mass market appeal had led to a wide range of endorsement deals as well. His face was plastered all across town on posters, shirts, and cereal boxes. Krackq appealed to a different crowd. The crowd that had to come to love the brutality and the struggle of the fights. Krackq had his own devoted followers. It may have been a smaller fanbase, but it was argueably a more fervent one. Krackq had become a symbol of strength, aggression, and determination. He had his own range of endorsements; weapons, alcohol, insurance companies wanting to look daring. He'd earned a reputation for constantly indulging in vice and groupies, unpredictable violence, being very likely legitimately insane; and his people loved him for it.

Gladiators entered the arena for the final time. Both were equipped as they had been in the past. Icemopper had replaced the broken sword with a similar one. Krackq still strangely continued to wear his damaged heavy leather armor. Icemopper's tribute to Krummith had avoided any specific mention of Krackq, but some speculated this fight would be more personal as a result. No one really understood Krackq's motivations. Regardless, the primary motivation for both fighters, was to become the grand champion of the Steam Thread Empire. They met in the center of the arena, and shortly after, the signal to begin sounded.

3ivsKUD.jpg

@Icemopper Attack 12 Defend 10 Health 15
    @Krackq Attack 12 Defend 14 Health 09
    Geth roll 1d20+12 for Icemopper's Attack
    Geth roll 1d20+10 for Icemopper's Defend

Icemopper's Attack:
    1d20+12 16 [1d20=4]
    Icemopper's Defend:
    1d20+10 19 [1d20=9]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 20 [1d20=8]
    Krackq's Defend:
    1d20+14 23 [1d20=9]

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Go Icemopper!

You can take him!

• Options
    Battle Forty
    Final Battle

Icemopper took some quick steps forward and went on the offensive. He'd heard plenty about how Krackq fought. His enemies almost always became trapped in a defensive position. He'd wear them down with a barrage of attacks. Icemopper told himself he'd stay aggressive, and not fall into the same trap. His first lunge was blocked by Krackq's shield. The second one was parried by his gladius. Krackq's visage was disturbing, the injuries to his face combined with the expression of mixed joy and malice made it difficult to focus. Icemopper aimed a third obvious attack directly at Krackq's face. When he blocked it with the shield, Icemopper would come in low with a quick strike. But Krackq made no move to block it. It must be a trick, Icemopper thought, he'd missed something. Icemopper hesitated and pulled back. Krackq lashed out and Icemopper barely parried in time. Still unsure whether Krackq had just meant to allow him to stab him in the face just then, or had something else planned, Icemopper had the wind knocked out of him as Krackq slammed his shield into both of Icemopper's swords and again into his chest.

Icemopper Health 15 14
    Krackq Health 09

Icemopper's Attack:
    1d20+12 24 [1d20=12]
    Icemopper's Defend:
    1d20+10 24 [1d20=14]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 18 [1d20=6]
    Krackq's Defend:
    1d20+14 21 [1d20=7]

• Options
    Battle Forty
    Final Battle

Krackq flailed at Icemopper with reckless abandon. Icemopper stepped back from some of the swings and parried those he could. The thin blades were not great at blocking the heavier gladius. Krackq lurched forward to swing again. This time Icemopper dodged back just enough to be out of reach and then leaned back in and scored a hit with his blade on Krackq's arm. The sword tip opened a small cut on his forearm. Alone it wasn't very signifigant, but Icemopper repeated the attack twice more, and added two more gouges into Krackq's leg and chest. Krackq was growing angry. It was frustrating that Icemopper couldmove so quickly, out of and into range. After the third hit, he'd had enough. Krackq charged at Icemopper with a scream.

Icemopper Health 15 14
    Krackq Health 09 06

Icemopper's Attack:
    1d20+12 32 [1d20=20]
    Icemopper's Defend:
    1d20+10 21 [1d20=11]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 23 [1d20=11]
    Krackq's Defend:
    1d20+14 31 [1d20=17]

• Options
    Not so quick after all.

• Options
    Battle Forty
    Final Battle

Krackq's scream continued as he plowed into Icemopper. He'd led with his sword out, which was Icemopper's primary concern. Icemopper twisted aside as best he could to avoid the blade. It grazed his side, opening a tear in the armor and the skin beneath. To prevent him from turning the blade, or pulling it back to attack again; Icemopper clamped his arm down on Krackq's sword arm, pinning it against his own side. Krackq's momentum forward continued. His shield blocked Icemopper's other arm as they fell back. Icemopper couldn't get either blade between them. As they crashed to the ground, Icemopper kept Krackq's sword arm locked down. Krackq was holding down Icemopper's other arm with his shield. Krackq continued to scream directly into Icemopper's face as they landed. With all the strength he could muster Icemopper smashed his forehead into the maniac's nose. It gave way surprisingly easily. Krackq's scream stopped short with a yelp of pain.

Icemopper Health 15 14 12
    Krackq Health 09 06 05

Icemopper's Attack:
    1d20+12 21 [1d20=9]
    Icemopper's Defend:
    1d20+10 30 [1d20=20]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 29 [1d20=17]
    Krackq's Defend:
    1d20+14 32 [1d20=18]

• Options
    Gah!!!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Battle Forty
    Final Battle

Krackq wrenched backwards in pain and stumbled back to his feet. The pain was so severe it cut through whatever drugs were in his system right now. It was good. It woke him up. The floating phantoms and hazy mists evaporated, and he felt truly awake for the first time in a while. He blew hard through his nose to push the blood out. It was excruciating. Icemopper had gotten back to his feet and quickly attacked with his left sword. Krackq caught it with the shield. And then knocked the lower attack away with his gladius. His head was thumping in time with his heartbeat. The two gladiators carefully considered each other and slowly paced in a tight circle with the crowd above shouted and cheered.

Icemopper Health 15 14 12
    Krackq Health 09 06 05

Icemopper's Attack:
    1d20+12 25 [1d20=13]
    Icemopper's Defend:
    1d20+10 15 [1d20=5]
    Krackq's Attack:
    1d20+12 32 [1d20=20]