Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Memorial [Chat]

1246779

Posts

  • NecoNeco desert harpy Registered User regular

  • simonwolfsimonwolf there was a silence you took to mean somethingRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @Thomamelas I am having a bad eyesight day so instead of reading the SR5 rules at like a word a minute I have decided to start bulking out my RPG background music playlist project.

    I am organizing things by genre and mood - so like, "Cyberpunk - Ambient," "Cyberpunk - Action," etc etc.

    Right now the moods I have been using are Ambient, Tension, Action, Epic Action, Creepy/Horror, Bar/Tavern/Club, Romantic, and Inspirational (where appropriate).

    The genres i have thought of to include so far are

    - cyberpunk
    - generic fantasy
    - space opera
    - urban horror (vampire, etc.: gothy/industrial horror, basically)
    - cinematic horror (call of cthulhu or other stuff where good orchestral music would be appropriate)
    - superheroes
    - generic action/adventure (for stuff like indiana jones, leverage, men in black or whatever)
    - Westerns
    - Star Wars RPGs
    - LOTR RPGs

    can you think of any obvious genres or moods that I have missed?

    Sheryl Crow, for when you run the Sheryl Crow RPG

    JacobkoshKana
  • NecoNeco desert harpy Registered User regular
    That music screams "cyberpunk" to me...

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Neco wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @Thomamelas I am having a bad eyesight day so instead of reading the SR5 rules at like a word a minute I have decided to start bulking out my RPG background music playlist project.

    I am organizing things by genre and mood - so like, "Cyberpunk - Ambient," "Cyberpunk - Action," etc etc.

    Right now the moods I have been using are Ambient, Tension, Action, Epic Action, Creepy/Horror, Bar/Tavern/Club, Romantic, and Inspirational (where appropriate).

    The genres i have thought of to include so far are

    - cyberpunk
    - generic fantasy
    - space opera
    - urban horror (vampire, etc.: gothy/industrial horror, basically)
    - cinematic horror (call of cthulhu or other stuff where good orchestral music would be appropriate)
    - superheroes
    - generic action/adventure (for stuff like indiana jones, leverage, men in black or whatever)
    - Westerns
    - Star Wars RPGs
    - LOTR RPGs

    can you think of any obvious genres or moods that I have missed?

    I can't really comment on much of this (and I know this isn't really what you are asking), but since it has been on my mind anyway, do you have Digital Mystery Tour added to your cyberpunk stuff?

    No! What is it?

  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Oh we're doing more music submissions?

    Sure, gives me a reason to procrastinate.

    Also, handling and consuming potato chips with a fork was the best decision of my life.

    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

    I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • NecoNeco desert harpy Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @Thomamelas I am having a bad eyesight day so instead of reading the SR5 rules at like a word a minute I have decided to start bulking out my RPG background music playlist project.

    I am organizing things by genre and mood - so like, "Cyberpunk - Ambient," "Cyberpunk - Action," etc etc.

    Right now the moods I have been using are Ambient, Tension, Action, Epic Action, Creepy/Horror, Bar/Tavern/Club, Romantic, and Inspirational (where appropriate).

    The genres i have thought of to include so far are

    - cyberpunk
    - generic fantasy
    - space opera
    - urban horror (vampire, etc.: gothy/industrial horror, basically)
    - cinematic horror (call of cthulhu or other stuff where good orchestral music would be appropriate)
    - superheroes
    - generic action/adventure (for stuff like indiana jones, leverage, men in black or whatever)
    - Westerns
    - Star Wars RPGs
    - LOTR RPGs

    can you think of any obvious genres or moods that I have missed?

    I can't really comment on much of this (and I know this isn't really what you are asking), but since it has been on my mind anyway, do you have Digital Mystery Tour added to your cyberpunk stuff?

    No! What is it?

    Just an electronic group. I posted one of their songs already. Here is another one.

  • MrMisterMrMister A pup must first get in the water to be successful as a seal!Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    @ronya‌ "Evil Multifarious" LoserForHireX‌

    Ah, opened an old notebook to scratch out some calculations, and ran across this savage gem of a comment from my adviser on some of my long-ago work:

    "If you have an argument for P, but P is false, that's not an argument for almost-P."

    i am now curious as to the nature of the intended argument...

    I am guessing you were aiming at P or almost P, !P, therefore almost P?

    I was aiming for P, but not succeeding, so then trying to retreat to almost-P. But unfortunately the particular argument for P could not be saved by conversion into an argument for almost-P (and if I recall correctly, was probably not only not an argument for almost-P, but actually inconsistent with almost-P).

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    See, basically, my approach is this: I am going to go through a lot (like a lot) of video game and movie soundtracks.

    I will listen to a song and decide if it is Ambient or Actiony or Romantic or whatever.

    A lot of songs will work for multiple genre categories (generic fantasy and lord of the rings, or superheroes and modern action/adventure, or urban horror and cinematic horror) so for each song I am going to add it to all the playlists that it applies to.

    For maximum efficiency I would rather anticipate all my playlist needs ahead of time so I don't create a new playlist in like a month and then have to go trawling through all my other playlists looking for appropriate music. If a tune is spooky I'd rather just put it in Fantasy Spooky, Cyberpunk SPooky, Sci-Fi Spooky etc right now all at once.

  • MrMisterMrMister A pup must first get in the water to be successful as a seal!Registered User regular
    the erectile organ can be equated with the √-1, the symbol of the signification produced above, of the jouissance it restores—by the coefficient of its statement—to the function of a missing signifier: (-1)”

  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    the erectile organ can be equated with the √-1, the symbol of the signification produced above, of the jouissance it restores—by the coefficient of its statement—to the function of a missing signifier: (-1)”

    something something formula for sticking your dick in π

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    ronyaMrMistershrykeInfamyDeferred
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I remember the OST to NeoTokyo being some good scifi background stuff.

    Been a while since I listened to it though.

  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    the erectile organ can be equated with the √-1, the symbol of the signification produced above, of the jouissance it restores—by the coefficient of its statement—to the function of a missing signifier: (-1)”

    Continental Philosophy.

    *applause*

    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
    Es-annon NEVA 4GET
    MrMister
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I remember the OST to NeoTokyo being some good scifi background stuff.

    Been a while since I listened to it though.

    I actually have the NeoTokyo OST on my hard drive but I need to chop up the individual tracks because they swing pretty wildly from chilled-out to actiony and back.

    I am just putting it off because it is a ton of work. I spent a lot of time recently hacking up the Max Payne 3 and VtM Bloodlines scores.

  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular


    what, did you go to harvard?

    @Jacobkosh‌

    JacobkoshMrMister
  • simonwolfsimonwolf there was a silence you took to mean somethingRegistered User regular
    @Organichu‌
    I keep forgetting to check when I arrive in Bawstahn

    please remind me to do so next time we are on chat simultaneously

  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    JLjtB.jpg

    Elldrenbloodyroarxxshryke
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    JLjtB.jpg

    Betrayal now has a face

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Jacobkosh
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    yo yo yoi

    fuck gendered marketing
    Jacobkosh
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    And now Im miserable

    lTjodS2.png

    reading stuff like this and being a dad is like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly.

    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
    RMS OceanicWinkyElldren
  • MrMisterMrMister A pup must first get in the water to be successful as a seal!Registered User regular
    jesus christ

    JacobkoshKana
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »


    what, did you go to harvard?

    @Jacobkosh‌

    andy and jeff goldblum otp

  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    And now Im miserable

    lTjodS2.png

    reading stuff like this and being a dad is like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly.

    Yeah....Don't watch Dear Zachery.

    Jacobkosh
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    There's a bunch of Fantasy Power Metal (I believe the official term is actually "Heavy Mithril" lolnurds) which could do absolutely nicely for a bombastic finale if you ever feel like making the party face down some real shit.

    Boss Music, essentially.

    Blind Guardian's one of the quintessential bands from that style of music, in my opinion.



    A good place to start if you feel like wading through some game soundtracks for upbeat, actiony and non-vocalised tunes would be Super Smash Bros. Brawl's OST (I'm still pretty pissed that this thing never won any awards for its soundtrack)...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=channel:5308e211-0-202f-9aeb-20cf301cc1b6&feature=iv&src_vid=T8XJnPUfnvY&v=Q9s_vWACtTw

    ... And an honorary mention goes to Mario and Sonic at the Sochi Winter Olympics. What, think I'm kidding? Seriously, Sega's internal sound team put together some dirty ass remixes in that soundtrack. They transformed Buoy Base Galaxy into something you might think would play in a dystopian cyberpunk lab, technological complex or bunker. Well worth a look-see.



    And for that matter, if it's big, in-your-face music you want, you might wanna check out a dude named Motoi Sakuraba. JRPG composer, made the Golden Sun soundtrack featured in the Brawl video above, but he's had a hand in a lot of other shit as well. He's perhaps most notable for his work on the Tales games soundtracks, which some say tend to be a tad more muted than the rest of his work. They're not entirely wrong, but I'd say there's still worth in checking them out. I'm kind of angry that I can't find a clean rip of the English title theme for Tales of Symphonia, which is infinitely bossier than the JP one.

    Hipster weaboo that I am, I'm partial to the Baten Kaitos soundtrack. I can safely say that Mr. Moto goes full ham on this shit.



    But he also seems to take a nap every now and then.



    Also, and I may have actually mentioned this before, but if it's booming, yet subdued techno-ambiance you want, SMT IV's got you covered in spades. I feel like much of it could actually play in a Doom game and nobody would bat an eye.









    The theme of the Hunter's Association is just so grimy.



    Actually, I'd say almost all of the SMT games lean towards techno-punk soundtracks, especially the ones of the PS2 era.

    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

    I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    Elldren
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    New Bioshock Infinite DLC was pretty neat.

    They didn't really do any big twists (the closest they had, halfway through the DLC, I totally called!). But it offered an interesting look at events around the 1958 New Years Eve riots, so pretty satisfying. Thought it dragged a little, though.

  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Guys, there is such a thing as three nut butter, peanut, hazelnut and something else. I wish I'd purchased it so I could have found out the third nut

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Guys, there is such a thing as three nut butter, peanut, hazelnut and something else. I wish I'd purchased it so I could have found out the third nut

    I do not know if you want to keep the aura of mystery or not.
    The third nut is cashew

  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Macadamia, perhaps?

    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

    I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacob! Death scene music.

    Jacobkosh
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Guys, there is such a thing as three nut butter, peanut, hazelnut and something else. I wish I'd purchased it so I could have found out the third nut

    I do not know if you want to keep the aura of mystery or not.
    The third nut is cashew

    Magic ruined

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    6330728122_8459a4b498_b.jpg

    Om.

    aRkpc.gif
    Dis'
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    17N1O.jpg

    KalkinoJacobkoshBogart
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    6330728122_8459a4b498_b.jpg

    Om.

    I believe this image represents the man's psychological need to regain the sense of security that characterises childhood.

    Apothe0sis on
    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
    Es-annon NEVA 4GET
    ronyaMrMister
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    MMO anime starting to wrap up, but it's already had its second season announced for the fall season.

    Still really cool to see them use the MMO lingo correctly. Apparently the series was actually a series of novels currently still going so the Author must know his/hers shit which is nice.

    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    17N1O.jpg

    Nice to see those boys take their younger brother out for a walk

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I was this tired. Jesus.

  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    There's a trade-off at play here, one that can't be wished away or ignored. With a growing population, you can't restrict rising density in established suburbs, prevent sprawl on the urban fringes, and prevent housing from being unaffordable. Pick two of the three.

    aRkpc.gif
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Actually, I'd say almost all of the SMT games lean towards techno-punk soundtracks, especially the ones of the PS2 era.

    Including Persona

    fuck gendered marketing
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    There's a trade-off at play here, one that can't be wished away or ignored. With a growing population, you can't restrict rising density in established suburbs, prevent sprawl on the urban fringes, and prevent housing from being unaffordable. Pick two of the three.

    Are you involved in a Let's Play: SimCity 3k?

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    There's a trade-off at play here, one that can't be wished away or ignored. With a growing population, you can't restrict rising density in established suburbs, prevent sprawl on the urban fringes, and prevent housing from being unaffordable. Pick two of the three.

    Are you involved in a Let's Play: SimCity 3k?

    reading a discussion of Piketty's book that tangentially lead to http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/26/when-you-buy-a-house-you-shouldnt-buy-the-neighbourhood-with-it

    aRkpc.gif
    Kalkino
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    There's a trade-off at play here, one that can't be wished away or ignored. With a growing population, you can't restrict rising density in established suburbs, prevent sprawl on the urban fringes, and prevent housing from being unaffordable. Pick two of the three.

    Are you involved in a Let's Play: SimCity 3k?

    reading a discussion of Piketty's book that tangentially lead to http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/26/when-you-buy-a-house-you-shouldnt-buy-the-neighbourhood-with-it

    Hmm. I shall look at both if work palls

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
This discussion has been closed.