Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[nfl] THIS THREAD IS AS DEAD AS THE BUCS PLAYOFF CHANCES!

19394959799

Posts

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    So we're just asking all of the Lions now?

    Everyone's gonna be shocked when Suh comes out and says he'd only punish kids with words and taking away toys.

    Lawrence Taylor sits the kid down and patiently uses the Socratic method to have the child work through why their actions were wrong, helping them build critical thinking and develop empathy for others.

    Might want to have not used a guy currently on trial for raping and beating a young woman Thom.

    Also so Brandon Marshall...

    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/09/brandon-marshall-and-the-nfl-under-fire-for-abusive-actions-in-2007.html

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    So we're just asking all of the Lions now?

    Everyone's gonna be shocked when Suh comes out and says he'd only punish kids with words and taking away toys.

    Lawrence Taylor sits the kid down and patiently uses the Socratic method to have the child work through why their actions were wrong, helping them build critical thinking and develop empathy for others.

    Might want to have not used a guy currently on trial for raping and beating a young woman Thom.

    I just keep handing out Saturday detentions. That's 8 so far. You're mine for 2 months, Bender!

  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    So we're just asking all of the Lions now?

    Everyone's gonna be shocked when Suh comes out and says he'd only punish kids with words and taking away toys.

    Lawrence Taylor sits the kid down and patiently uses the Socratic method to have the child work through why their actions were wrong, helping them build critical thinking and develop empathy for others.

    Might want to have not used a guy currently on trial for raping and beating a young woman Thom.

    Also so Brandon Marshall...

    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/09/brandon-marshall-and-the-nfl-under-fire-for-abusive-actions-in-2007.html

    Brandon Marshall has under gone therapy for his actions and has done a lot good work promoting mental health. I'm not saying that it makes everything better but he does appear to be trying to make something good out of what happened.

    Elldren
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah you'll notice it was noted muck raker gloria aldred who dredged this up. But still I think its important to note the NFL has been awful with this stuff for a long time.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Dwyer already deactivated. So far Cards have the promptest response

  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Dwyer already deactivated. So far Cards have the promptest response

    also the shittiest player so far by a fair stretch

    y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Sir LandsharkTheBlackWindDasUberEdwardA Dabble Of TheloniusAngelHedgie
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    So we're just asking all of the Lions now?

    Everyone's gonna be shocked when Suh comes out and says he'd only punish kids with words and taking away toys.

    Lawrence Taylor sits the kid down and patiently uses the Socratic method to have the child work through why their actions were wrong, helping them build critical thinking and develop empathy for others.

    Might want to have not used a guy currently on trial for raping and beating a young woman Thom.

    Also so Brandon Marshall...

    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/09/brandon-marshall-and-the-nfl-under-fire-for-abusive-actions-in-2007.html

    Pretty terrible of the author to go digging this up IMO. Marshall worked really hard (with no help from the NFL) to get through his mental issues and it's more than likely the DV in his case was going both ways (there's a term for this but I'm blanking on it). Like, I'm pretty sure his then-gf (now wife) tried to stab him at one point. Not that it excuses anything he did do at the time but still, it leaves a bit of a bad taste.

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    ObiFett
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    As expected, the NFLPA is taking up Rice's indefinite suspension.
    "The NFLPA appeal is based on supporting facts that reveal a lack of a fair and impartial process, including the role of the office of the Commissioner of the NFL," the NFLPA said. "We have asked that a neutral and jointly selected arbitrator hear this case as the Commissioner and his staff will be essential witnesses in the proceeding and thus cannot serve as impartial arbitrators."

    [...]

    In the appeal, the NFLPA notes that "Under governing labor law, an employee cannot be punished twice for the same action when all of the relevant facts were available to the employer at the time of the first punishment."

    That last statement is a crucial one because if the NFLPA can prove that Goodell knew about Rice's punch before the video was released, then that would mean the NFL overstepped its boundaries by punishing Rice twice for the same action. That doesn't mean Goodell would have had to have seen the video, if Rice accurately described what happened in the elevator, then Goodell would have had "all of the relevant facts" after meeting with Rice in June.

    This is unlikely to go well for Rog since I'm pretty sure nobody has denied that Rice admitted his actions.

  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    So we're just asking all of the Lions now?

    Everyone's gonna be shocked when Suh comes out and says he'd only punish kids with words and taking away toys.

    Lawrence Taylor sits the kid down and patiently uses the Socratic method to have the child work through why their actions were wrong, helping them build critical thinking and develop empathy for others.

    Might want to have not used a guy currently on trial for raping and beating a young woman Thom.

    Also so Brandon Marshall...

    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/09/brandon-marshall-and-the-nfl-under-fire-for-abusive-actions-in-2007.html

    Pretty terrible of the author to go digging this up IMO. Marshall worked really hard (with no help from the NFL) to get through his mental issues and it's more than likely the DV in his case was going both ways (there's a term for this but I'm blanking on it). Like, I'm pretty sure his then-gf (now wife) tried to stab him at one point. Not that it excuses anything he did do at the time but still, it leaves a bit of a bad taste.

    Don't blame the author. The press conference was held 5 hours ago. That said, even in the press conference the main point was "Goodell had these situations to deal with in 2008 and he fucked them up even back then, how much more women must be hurt by his employees while he does nothing?"

    A Dabble Of Thelonius
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    As expected, the NFLPA is taking up Rice's indefinite suspension.
    "The NFLPA appeal is based on supporting facts that reveal a lack of a fair and impartial process, including the role of the office of the Commissioner of the NFL," the NFLPA said. "We have asked that a neutral and jointly selected arbitrator hear this case as the Commissioner and his staff will be essential witnesses in the proceeding and thus cannot serve as impartial arbitrators."

    [...]

    In the appeal, the NFLPA notes that "Under governing labor law, an employee cannot be punished twice for the same action when all of the relevant facts were available to the employer at the time of the first punishment."

    That last statement is a crucial one because if the NFLPA can prove that Goodell knew about Rice's punch before the video was released, then that would mean the NFL overstepped its boundaries by punishing Rice twice for the same action. That doesn't mean Goodell would have had to have seen the video, if Rice accurately described what happened in the elevator, then Goodell would have had "all of the relevant facts" after meeting with Rice in June.

    This is unlikely to go well for Rog since I'm pretty sure nobody has denied that Rice admitted his actions.
    I don't think any of this will be Goodell's problem for too much longer.

    ok98TNK.png
    So It GoesKana
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    Here's Reggie Bush's full response:
    "Obviously I'm not going to be spanking a 1-year-old girl," Bush said. "We do discipline her a little bit because she does this thing now where if she doesn't like something of if you say something to her she doesn't like, she kind of swings at you.

    "So we're already starting to implement little things like talking to her and saying that's not OK. I think obviously people took it too far and [said] I was doing much worse and that's not the case."

    No, Reggie Bush, people didn't take it to far, you're the person who said those things. It's not their job to explain away your dumb bullshit. Maybe youth services should check out his home just in case, I'd rather be safe than sorry

    I'm ... I feel like you're on a silly vendetta here. Maybe it's because I'm an educator, but I prefer when people speak their ignorance out loud. If you're going to get all, "Let's pile on Reggie Bush because it was his own fault for saying something like that without full preparation," well... the result's just going to be chilling. The Reggie Bushes of the world will just say, "No comment," or arrange through their publicist for the subject not to come up, or start doing media training so they all learn to say words that sound like they mean a lot but actually mean nothing like all politicians do.

    I think we can chastise him for being saying stupid things, but it's not like Bush has a history of saying horribly offensive shit. Lay off just a bit, man.

    Anything that makes child abuse seem like not a big deal, is a big deal to me. Fine I'm on a silly vendetta. I don't care. I won't lay off. Period.

    Or or, he wasn't trying to minimize child abuse at all, and what he was saying was that he would never hit his child (and leave bruises) but that he does believe in harsh discipline, not necessarily physical, and that he will one day have to figure out how to implement them, which he hasn't yet because his child is 1. And maybe he didn't pick his words properly, because it was in a phone interview, not an essay, and he's a football player, not a philosopher.

    Bush's words were ... on the spectrum of ignorant statements made in sensitive times, so not even close to being egregious.

    Yup let's just cross our fingers and hope really hard when he disciplines his kid he didn't really mean he might give her bruises because you know he's a football player and not a philosopher.

    How a self proclaimed teacher isn't alarmed at the casual attitude a parent has about child abuse floors me. I don't give a fuck if he actually hits his kid or not, people shouldn't be speaking out FOR CHILD ABUSE. It's illegal to hit another adult, it's illegal to hit a pet but hey just do your best and try not to bruise up your kid too much when you "discipline " them! Don't worry the public will bend over backwards to defend you because ehhhh why should they worry a child is possibly in danger!

    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    Here's Reggie Bush's full response:
    "Obviously I'm not going to be spanking a 1-year-old girl," Bush said. "We do discipline her a little bit because she does this thing now where if she doesn't like something of if you say something to her she doesn't like, she kind of swings at you.

    "So we're already starting to implement little things like talking to her and saying that's not OK. I think obviously people took it too far and [said] I was doing much worse and that's not the case."

    No, Reggie Bush, people didn't take it to far, you're the person who said those things. It's not their job to explain away your dumb bullshit. Maybe youth services should check out his home just in case, I'd rather be safe than sorry

    I'm ... I feel like you're on a silly vendetta here. Maybe it's because I'm an educator, but I prefer when people speak their ignorance out loud. If you're going to get all, "Let's pile on Reggie Bush because it was his own fault for saying something like that without full preparation," well... the result's just going to be chilling. The Reggie Bushes of the world will just say, "No comment," or arrange through their publicist for the subject not to come up, or start doing media training so they all learn to say words that sound like they mean a lot but actually mean nothing like all politicians do.

    I think we can chastise him for being saying stupid things, but it's not like Bush has a history of saying horribly offensive shit. Lay off just a bit, man.

    Anything that makes child abuse seem like not a big deal, is a big deal to me. Fine I'm on a silly vendetta. I don't care. I won't lay off. Period.

    Or or, he wasn't trying to minimize child abuse at all, and what he was saying was that he would never hit his child (and leave bruises) but that he does believe in harsh discipline, not necessarily physical, and that he will one day have to figure out how to implement them, which he hasn't yet because his child is 1. And maybe he didn't pick his words properly, because it was in a phone interview, not an essay, and he's a football player, not a philosopher.

    Bush's words were ... on the spectrum of ignorant statements made in sensitive times, so not even close to being egregious.

    Yup let's just cross our fingers and hope really hard when he disciplines his kid he didn't really mean he might give her bruises because you know he's a football player and not a philosopher.

    How a self proclaimed teacher isn't alarmed at the casual attitude a parent has about child abuse floors me. I don't give a fuck if he actually hits his kid or not, people shouldn't be speaking out FOR CHILD ABUSE. It's illegal to hit another adult, it's illegal to hit a pet but hey just do your best and try not to bruise up your kid too much when you "discipline " them! Don't worry the public will bend over backwards to defend you because ehhhh why should they worry a child is possibly in danger!

    The last people I would expect to be alarmed by a casual attitude towards child abuse would be anyone who works with kids. Parents, on the whole, are really shitty in my experience. They try hard and mean well mostly, but have no clue what they are doing which is not surprising I guess. Casually defending or threatening child abuse is the norm from what I can tell.

  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    How a self proclaimed teacher

    I said I was an educator. Not a teacher.

    I cite this as evidence that you're just reading into people's words the meaning you want to read into them.

    As best as I can tell, Reggie Bush didn't come out in support of child abuse. He just made a very clumsy attempt to distance himself from the issue and comment on its complexity. He then apologized, hamfistedly, when people interpreted his words in a way he didn't like. Put away the "hurgle burgle child abuser" - which, by the way, I've also noticed you starting to aim at me and which is very much unappreciated.

    hippofant on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Let's parse things charitably!
    “I have a 1-year-old daughter, and I discipline her,” he said. “I definitely will try to — will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her harshly depending on what the situation is.

    If you're aiming to be charitable, the leeway is in the word "will try to" as in future tense. This is what he claims he means. And also the word "harshly." Which given his background, probably means spankings:
    Growing up, Bush said he was spanked by his parents, but they called it “whoopings.”

    “I thank my mom for whooping me because if she didn’t I probably wouldn’t be here right now in front of you guys,” he said.

    Do I think that excuses abuse? No. But I do think it's the only thing some people know as far as how to discipline their children. Especially from certain backgrounds, particularly, it would seem in the South. And we don't really teach them any better as a society, which is maybe something to look into. Part of a mandated home ec class or something? Which there are lots of other reasons to include as well (basic cooking skills, for example, which could help with obesity issues; budgeting, etc).

    Still think Calvin Johnson's comments are more fucked up than Bush's and less ambiguous as to their meaning.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Draeven
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    As expected, the NFLPA is taking up Rice's indefinite suspension.
    "The NFLPA appeal is based on supporting facts that reveal a lack of a fair and impartial process, including the role of the office of the Commissioner of the NFL," the NFLPA said. "We have asked that a neutral and jointly selected arbitrator hear this case as the Commissioner and his staff will be essential witnesses in the proceeding and thus cannot serve as impartial arbitrators."

    [...]

    In the appeal, the NFLPA notes that "Under governing labor law, an employee cannot be punished twice for the same action when all of the relevant facts were available to the employer at the time of the first punishment."

    That last statement is a crucial one because if the NFLPA can prove that Goodell knew about Rice's punch before the video was released, then that would mean the NFL overstepped its boundaries by punishing Rice twice for the same action. That doesn't mean Goodell would have had to have seen the video, if Rice accurately described what happened in the elevator, then Goodell would have had "all of the relevant facts" after meeting with Rice in June.

    This is unlikely to go well for Rog since I'm pretty sure nobody has denied that Rice admitted his actions.
    I don't think any of this will be Goodell's problem for too much longer.

    Well, they now have the double-secret probation list, so it should be pretty easy for teams to 'self-regulate'. At least when a player is too expensive to just cut outright. (Surprising in all this that Baltimore either didn't know or didn't care. Possibly the one thing anybody has gotten right so far.)

    Rog has a job so long as sponsors don't start pulling out (Just like Snyder won't have to change the name.) or rating start falling or something. People can be outraged in all manner of formats, but so long as the money rolls in, capitalism will rule.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Adam Schefter's reported the owners remain pretty much behind Goodell, so barring clear evidence of him outright lying about seeing the tape, they'll probably stay behind him.

    Which is dumb and illogical, but counting on old rich white dudes to be socially progressive (or really non-regressive) is a recipe for disappointment.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Part of a mandated home ec class or something? Which there are lots of other reasons to include as well (basic cooking skills, for example, which could help with obesity issues; budgeting, etc).

    Still think Calvin Johnson's comments are more fucked up than Bush's and less ambiguous as to their meaning.

    Wouldn't such home ec. classes just end up being taught by the same sort of people? E.g. Texas' high schools aren't known for their progressivism. Which is why, so often, civil rights are brought to bear by the federal government.

    Also, yeah, Calvin Johnson's words are scarier, but he came second, and he cited privacy rights and the paternal dominance of the family unit, so that probably gets him a pass with a lot of people.

    I will note, corporal punishment is legal in all 50 states when performed by the parent. And legal in schools in approximately 25 states.

    hippofant on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Part of a mandated home ec class or something? Which there are lots of other reasons to include as well (basic cooking skills, for example, which could help with obesity issues; budgeting, etc).

    Still think Calvin Johnson's comments are more fucked up than Bush's and less ambiguous as to their meaning.

    Wouldn't such home ec. classes just end up being taught by the same sort of people? E.g. Texas' high schools aren't known for their progressivism. Which is why, so often, civil rights are brought to bear by the federal government.

    Also, yeah, Calvin Johnson's words are scarier, but he came second, and he cited privacy rights and the paternal dominance of the family unit, so that probably gets him a pass with a lot of people.

    I will note, corporal punishment is legal in all 50 states when performed by the parent. And legal in schools in approximately 25 states.

    I'm fine with a federally mandated curriculum anyway, sooo

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    As expected, the NFLPA is taking up Rice's indefinite suspension.
    "The NFLPA appeal is based on supporting facts that reveal a lack of a fair and impartial process, including the role of the office of the Commissioner of the NFL," the NFLPA said. "We have asked that a neutral and jointly selected arbitrator hear this case as the Commissioner and his staff will be essential witnesses in the proceeding and thus cannot serve as impartial arbitrators."

    [...]

    In the appeal, the NFLPA notes that "Under governing labor law, an employee cannot be punished twice for the same action when all of the relevant facts were available to the employer at the time of the first punishment."

    That last statement is a crucial one because if the NFLPA can prove that Goodell knew about Rice's punch before the video was released, then that would mean the NFL overstepped its boundaries by punishing Rice twice for the same action. That doesn't mean Goodell would have had to have seen the video, if Rice accurately described what happened in the elevator, then Goodell would have had "all of the relevant facts" after meeting with Rice in June.

    This is unlikely to go well for Rog since I'm pretty sure nobody has denied that Rice admitted his actions.
    I don't think any of this will be Goodell's problem for too much longer.

    Well, they now have the double-secret probation list, so it should be pretty easy for teams to 'self-regulate'. At least when a player is too expensive to just cut outright. (Surprising in all this that Baltimore either didn't know or didn't care. Possibly the one thing anybody has gotten right so far.)

    Rog has a job so long as sponsors don't start pulling out (Just like Snyder won't have to change the name.) or rating start falling or something. People can be outraged in all manner of formats, but so long as the money rolls in, capitalism will rule.

    Rice is far less valuable a player in comparison to Peterson and Hardy. Not as replaceable as Dwyer, but he was definitely on the tail end of his career and he had an expensive contract on the books to boot.

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Adam Schefter's reported the owners remain pretty much behind Goodell, so barring clear evidence of him outright lying about seeing the tape, they'll probably stay behind him.

    Which is dumb and illogical, but counting on old rich white dudes to be socially progressive (or really non-regressive) is a recipe for disappointment.

    Yeah I don't see any sort of "house-cleaning" happening unless the government gets involved.

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Kipling
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    there's a broad difference between spanking and... whatever you call what Peterson did

    I mean, I think any corporal punishment of children is pretty objectionable, but even I would stop a fair way short of calling spanking child abuse. Lots of people defend the practice of 'whoopin' reflexively because it's how they were raised or the only way they know to get their kids' attention, without realizing just how far off the deep end it sometimes goes

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    So we're just asking all of the Lions now?

    Everyone's gonna be shocked when Suh comes out and says he'd only punish kids with words and taking away toys.

    Lawrence Taylor sits the kid down and patiently uses the Socratic method to have the child work through why their actions were wrong, helping them build critical thinking and develop empathy for others.

    Might want to have not used a guy currently on trial for raping and beating a young woman Thom.

    Also so Brandon Marshall...

    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/09/brandon-marshall-and-the-nfl-under-fire-for-abusive-actions-in-2007.html

    Brandon Marshall has under gone therapy for his actions and has done a lot good work promoting mental health. I'm not saying that it makes everything better but he does appear to be trying to make something good out of what happened.

    I mean yeah thats some issues but

    I'm usually the last person to say this but cars are objects, not a people

    That's a world of difference

    fuck gendered marketing
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Adam Schefter's reported the owners remain pretty much behind Goodell, so barring clear evidence of him outright lying about seeing the tape, they'll probably stay behind him.

    Which is dumb and illogical, but counting on old rich white dudes to be socially progressive (or really non-regressive) is a recipe for disappointment.

    Eh, it's not illogical that they're fine with what Goodell's doing.

    Among other things, it's his job to look bad personally instead of the league looking bad as a whole. If people are calling for Goodell's head, they're not trying to punish the NFL itself, and that means the owner's are still making giant piles of money.

    Granted it'd be better if it wasn't happening at all, but the owners love Goodell taking the shots that would otherwise be heading at them

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Elldren
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    So we're just asking all of the Lions now?

    Everyone's gonna be shocked when Suh comes out and says he'd only punish kids with words and taking away toys.

    Lawrence Taylor sits the kid down and patiently uses the Socratic method to have the child work through why their actions were wrong, helping them build critical thinking and develop empathy for others.

    Might want to have not used a guy currently on trial for raping and beating a young woman Thom.

    Also so Brandon Marshall...

    http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/09/brandon-marshall-and-the-nfl-under-fire-for-abusive-actions-in-2007.html

    Brandon Marshall has under gone therapy for his actions and has done a lot good work promoting mental health. I'm not saying that it makes everything better but he does appear to be trying to make something good out of what happened.

    I mean yeah thats some issues but

    I'm usually the last person to say this but cars are objects, not a people

    That's a world of difference

    I'm not saying positive things about him because it was just a car. God knows abusive spouses aren't my favorite people in the world but he is someone who seems to have made a successful attempt to end his behavior, and he's personally put in a lot of effort to try to stop others from being abusive. I get the urge to hate him forever but there comes a point where you have to say he gets to rejoin polite society. He''s done enough for me to get to that point. I'm not saying his ex needs to forgive him or that his wife does either but I chose to acknowledge that he has done some redemption.

    ArdolElldrenSo It Goes
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Let's parse things charitably!
    “I have a 1-year-old daughter, and I discipline her,” he said. “I definitely will try to — will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her harshly depending on what the situation is.

    If you're aiming to be charitable, the leeway is in the word "will try to" as in future tense. This is what he claims he means. And also the word "harshly." Which given his background, probably means spankings:

    A charitable reading would be

    “I have a 1-year-old daughter, and I discipline her,” he said. "I will definitely will try to - " Recompose. New thought. "(I) will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her harsher depending on what the situation is."

    I don't know that this is the most accurate reading, but "definitely will try to" was a stall phrase if you listen. There's a number of ums/uhs in there too as he tries to express his thoughts.

    I think he's kind of an idiot anyway, but I don't think he was actually saying "I beat my 1 year old."

    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Zombie HeroHappylilElf
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Eh even a generous reading "Try not to leave bruises" implies physical punishment, and at the age his child is that's ridiculous.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Bobble
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Eh even a generous reading "Try not to leave bruises" implies physical punishment, and at the age his child is that's ridiculous.
    That's if you assume "try to" and "I won't leave bruises or anything like that" are linked. I think they were intended to be separate thoughts poorly expressed.


    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I dunno perhaps its because so many football players are coming out as violent off the field, but I think he was being honest, thought better on admitting he intended on striking his child and tried to make it seem like it would be ok because he didn't intend to leave marks on her.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    PantsB wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Eh even a generous reading "Try not to leave bruises" implies physical punishment, and at the age his child is that's ridiculous.
    That's if you assume "try to" and "I won't leave bruises or anything like that" are linked. I think they were intended to be separate thoughts poorly expressed.

    I read/heard it as Bush trying to distance himself from Peterson. Like saying, "No, obviously I wouldn't do what he did," but doing it awkwardly and also trying to confess that he hadn't really thought it through all that clearly himself yet, since he's not at that point in parenthood. It seemed like a flop at the old "No no, I wouldn't ever, but you know, I'm not in that situation and I don't want to judge" dance.

    hippofant on
    PantsBHappylilElf
  • r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    Why would Bush even touch that line of questioning with a ten foot pole? What does he have to gain? A simple "no comment, I don't know what's going on with that case, let's talk about Saints football" would have saved him a lot of grief.

  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    r4dr3z wrote: »
    Why would Bush even touch that line of questioning with a ten foot pole? What does he have to gain? A simple "no comment, I don't know what's going on with that case, let's talk about Saints football" would have saved him a lot of grief.

    He's with the Lions now. Saints former players appear to be serial rapists rather than defending child abusers. We don't need any other shitty players making our team look bad.

  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    I don't get it, but I'm a fan of a BB coached team. A Patriot would have just been like "We're really focusing on the Raiders, they do a lot of things well and we're going to need 60 minutes of football to beat them."

    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    To be fair to stupid sounding football players, they're pretty damn busy right now. The average football player probably knows a lot less about these cases than a lot of football fans do

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Elldren
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    r4dr3z wrote: »
    Why would Bush even touch that line of questioning with a ten foot pole? What does he have to gain? A simple "no comment, I don't know what's going on with that case, let's talk about Saints football" would have saved him a lot of grief.

    It seemed sort of thrown into the interview. It was preceded by something like, "So this is a bit unrelated, but I have to ask you this..." and then they just immediately moved on after the answer. It might not even have registered as a significant question the way it was posed.

    hippofant on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I don't get it, but I'm a fan of a BB coached team. A Patriot would have just been like "We're really focusing on the Raiders, they do a lot of things well and we're going to need 60 minutes of football to beat them."

    unless its welker, then its "The Raiders are a good team. We're really going to have to switch up our gameplan to beat them. We've got to have a lot of discipline to avoid penalties, and we can't let the MJD-DMC combo abuse us."

    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    I don't get it, but I'm a fan of a BB coached team. A Patriot would have just been like "We're really focusing on the Raiders, they do a lot of things well and we're going to need 60 minutes of football to beat them."

    unless its welker, then its "The Raiders are a good team. We're really going to have to switch up our gameplan to beat them. We've got to have a lot of discipline to avoid penalties, and we can't let the MJD-DMC combo abuse us."

    Tbh that was probably Welker this week.

    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I see sp00ns is running with the unconventional "play a deactivated player" strategy in fear and loathing

  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think I know what the problem is with Tampa Bay.



    Has any team ever changed their uniforms in the middle of the season, because they need help. Badly.

Sign In or Register to comment.