As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our Community will Review [TV] in the Broad City of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Rick and Morty.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    As a mild fan of HIMYM holy shit that sounds horrible on every level

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    They are killing everything great about this show with this one episode.

It's actually incredible.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    how did they even

barf

baaaaaaaaarrrrrffffffffff

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    HIMYM should have had the easiest finale to write in the world

I don't know how in the world you fuck it up that badly

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    They've the planned the ending since the beginning right? So I feel like somewhere inbetween with all the extra episodes they filmed the story and direction of the series changed unintentionally. If you imagine it just being the first couple of seasons and a theoretical wedding season the ending works quite well.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I would say it's easily on the level of the Dexter finale in pure "holy fuck how do you misunderstand what YOUR OWN SHOW is about so much"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The HIMYM finale was really bad. But it wasn't legendarily bad like Dexter.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dexter had grown bad for awhile though. HIMYM had managed to completely take everything great and ruin it in one episode.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Like I bet I could write a more satisfying finale and I've never seen the show nor have I ever written anything

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Not only that but this episode isn't even that entertaining. All of the call backs aren't working at all.

• Options
    I just can't believe it turned out the good cop and the bad cop were the same cop

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I mean, was this finale written by a drunk fan?

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    How I Met Your Mother just ended.
    You know that thing that everyone said there was no way they'd be stupid enough to do that?

They did it.
    i.e 'SHE WAS DEAD THE WHOLE TIME'

holy fuck

really?
    Not only that, but they had the kids practically beg Ted to go hook up with Robin.

wait what the fuck

okay someone give me a real explanation of what happens

assume I have not seen the last two seasons
    This entire season was building up to Robin and Barney's wedding, which happened at the end of the last episode. Somewhere around the first commercial break they announce Robin and Barney are now divorced and Barney reverts to his womanizing ways.

Most of the episode is various flash forwards from then until 2030 when the story is being told to the kids. Marshall gets his judgeship, he and Lilly have a third kid, Barney (in his 40s) accidentally gets an unidentified girl pregnant and has a complete personality change when holding his baby daughter, and Ted doesn't actually marry the Mother until over 5 years after they met, well after both kids are born.

We also learn that the Mother's name is Tracey, as a reference back to when Ted trolled the kids by telling them that the stripper named Tracey was their mother.

Then suddenly "She got sick" while showing her in a hospital bed. And that's it for her, they never say anything beyond that and cut to Future Ted with the kids. No funeral or anything. The kids smile and happily tell him that mom has been gone for six years and that the story was totally about Aunt Robin and that they love Aunt Robin so they need to hook up.

So it ends with Future Ted standing outside Robin's window holding up the blue french horn.

Dexter is still worse.

HOLY FUCK

FUCK YOU CARTER BAYS AND CRAIG THOMAS

ARE

YOU

KIDDING

ME

Working towards this April fools day episode for a decade

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I just can't believe it turned out the good cop and the bad cop were the same cop

L...Liam Neeson?

• Options
    That would be incredible if this was an April Fools joke and the real episode was tomorrow.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm impressed

I was never that into HIMYM

But this is reminding me of the Dead Like Me movie

• Options
    Why did you have to bring that up?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I never really got into HIMYM, but now I feel like I need to watch the finale so I can understand what's going on here

• Options
    I watched all but the last two seasons of HIMYM

It sounds like I chose wisely

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    How I Met Your Mother just ended.
    You know that thing that everyone said there was no way they'd be stupid enough to do that?

They did it.
    i.e 'SHE WAS DEAD THE WHOLE TIME'

holy fuck

really?
    Not only that, but they had the kids practically beg Ted to go hook up with Robin.

wait what the fuck

okay someone give me a real explanation of what happens

assume I have not seen the last two seasons
    This entire season was building up to Robin and Barney's wedding, which happened at the end of the last episode. Somewhere around the first commercial break they announce Robin and Barney are now divorced and Barney reverts to his womanizing ways.

Most of the episode is various flash forwards from then until 2030 when the story is being told to the kids. Marshall gets his judgeship, he and Lilly have a third kid, Barney (in his 40s) accidentally gets an unidentified girl pregnant and has a complete personality change when holding his baby daughter, and Ted doesn't actually marry the Mother until over 5 years after they met, well after both kids are born.

We also learn that the Mother's name is Tracey, as a reference back to when Ted trolled the kids by telling them that the stripper named Tracey was their mother.

Then suddenly "She got sick" while showing her in a hospital bed. And that's it for her, they never say anything beyond that and cut to Future Ted with the kids. No funeral or anything. The kids smile and happily tell him that mom has been gone for six years and that the story was totally about Aunt Robin and that they love Aunt Robin so they need to hook up.

So it ends with Future Ted standing outside Robin's window holding up the blue french horn.

Dexter is still worse.

HOLY FUCK

FUCK YOU CARTER BAYS AND CRAIG THOMAS

ARE

YOU

KIDDING

ME

Working towards this April fools day episode for a decade

If this was actually their plan, I would have greater respect for no showrunner alive

Based on the overall quality of the last season, however

probably not.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    THEY DID IT! THOSE SONS OF BITCHES ACTUALLY DID IT!

Why oh why did this finale happen?

• Options
    That was deeply disturbing.

• Options
    Apparently Vince Gilligan Space Jam'd all the other showrunners and no show is allowed to have a satisfying finale within a year of Breaking Bad's

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    It's over... I feel so disappointed

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Apparently Vince Gilligan Space Jam'd all the other showrunners and no show is allowed to have a satisfying finale within a year of Breaking Bad's

Is Space Jam a verb now?

Also, can he give the ability to write satisfying finales back in time for Justified and Mad Men?

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Is Space Jam a verb now?

Also, can he give the ability to write satisfying finales back in time for Justified and Mad Men?

They're outside of the window, Justified and Mad Men both end next year

30 Rock was also just outside the window

Every show ending between now and this September will have a bad finale

He sucked up all the satisfaction and nobody else can use any until then

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I love HIMYM. It used to be one of my favorite shows.

I did not like that ending.

Doesn't ruin the first four seasons, or the other bright spots, or my love of the cast. Sort of... taints the show's heart some.

But I just did not like that ending.

• Options
    I'm definitely gonna give Cristin Milioti's new show a try if it makes it to series

I probably won't watch Alyson Hannigan's new CBS sitcom

I'll at least give HIMYD a try out of morbid curiosity/loyalty

I really hope Josh Radnor gets more work outside of his indie movies, I like him a lot

• Options
    So can Dr. Horrible 2 happen as soon as Avengers 2 finishes filming

And can NPH be in the MCU now?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I am having serious Mass Effect 3 flashbacks

Total déjà vu

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I am having serious Mass Effect 3 flashbacks

Total déjà vu

I'm having that same feeling of being incredibly bummed out, like I was with the Mass Effect 3 ending

And like with that ending, I would've been perfectly happy with something solid and predictable, instead of coming out of left field

• Options
    edited April 2014
    If I was invested in this show I would probably be furious

As it is, I'm just fascinated by how unbelievably badly they screwed it up

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Its over and nit shockingly it sucked.Glad i quit watching.

Also NPH can be Ant man now.

The world is safe

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Strange observation, I'm pretty sure Teds Kids side of the conversation at the end was all filmed during or around season 1.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Its over and nit shockingly it sucked.Glad i quit watching.

Also NPH can be Ant man now.

The world is safe

...why would NPH be Ant-Man

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    HIMYM
    So after all this, the show was basically about a dad telling a weird story about all the drinking, law breaking and screwing around he's done, in a weird attempt to get his kids to endorse him screwing their "aunt"

"You go, dad!"

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Strange observation, I'm pretty sure Teds Kids side of the conversation at the end was all filmed during or around season 1.

I'm pretty sure that's actually the case (because the kids would noticeably age between then and now).

e: Season 2 based on the Hitfix article

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    they confirmed the last time they actually filmed the kids was in season 2

Sepinwall has a few theories about how that ties into the finale

This discussion has been closed.