The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Things to keep in mind when posting in H/A

ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morningAnd the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited March 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
The following is a bit of sticky clean-up because the top of this forum is very cluttered. We need to make way for new things, and I don't think anyone is willing to give up the meat thread.

Okay fine, I'm not willing to give up the meat thread. Other people probably have opinions, I don't know them.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn

ceres on
ThegreatcowDisruptedCapitalistDhalphirNitsuaAndy JoeVegemyteIDon'tKnowChajixGoatmonStormwatcherJoGr10

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    A Friendly Reminder (or two) About the Nature of the Internets

1) Everything you post here is public and very, very easily found via a search engine like Google. We're all happy fun-time friends and these people can find anything out, so along with our requests for advice we want to be thorough and give probably more information than is necessary. We're used to the place, it's natural. However, things like real names, companies, places of business, and who you did what with where can all be traced back to your post and possibly you if you give enough information, and the person will not need to be a member of the forums to do so. Is this a little paranoid? Absolutely, but please keep it in mind when you make your post about your best friend, girlfriend, or legally precarious situation.

When you are attempting to give advice, don't ever, ever ask for this kind of specific information.

2) IANAL, and neither are you (except for like two of you). "IANAL" seems to have become assumed around these parts, and yet I've recently seen people talk about things like contract law and legal precedent with reckless abandon, as though the warning they got for speeding when they were 19 gives them some license or qualification to talk about the outcome of a potential lawsuit like it's in the bag. As always, please do not give objectively bad advice because I will give you an infraction and you will complain and all that will come of the whole thing is that I will like you significantly less. Please DO point to relevant resources, but leave your Judge Judy robe and gavel at home.

To those seeking advice about legal matters, there ARE two or three lawyers floating around the forums who stop by H/A once in a while. They usually identify themselves as such when they talk about their general knowledge of the subject at hand, and will maybe give you an idea what you can potentially expect for a given process, but they CANNOT give you actual legal advice. This is because although they are lawyers, they are not YOUR lawyer, and that is a prerequisite. Any advice in the form of "DEFINITELY DO [action]" should be taken with a grain of salt unless that advice is "DEFINITELY TALK TO A LAWYER".

Please keep these things in mind when creating or responding to a thread.

<3,
    The Management

P.S. We do not delete posts outside of a few areas on the site. H/A is not one of those areas. It's kind of a policy around here. Once you post it, it's never truly gone. I have to tell people this far too often. If you have any reason to suspect that someone you don't want to find your post may one day find your post, it's better that you don't post it because I will not delete it for you.

P.P.S IANAD (doctor) and neither are you (except for like two of you). All that stuff up there about lawyers and legal advice goes for doctors and medical advice, too. All of it, every last bit.

ceres on

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2014
    Feeling the Need for Anonymity?

This is probably the question I get asked the most:

"I have this thing I want to ask but I don't want people I know to find out about it... can I make an alt for it?"

Yes, yes you can. I never say no to this, and in fact H/A is the only part of the PA forum where alt-making is allowed so that people can ask about their extra-marital affair or foot fungus or whatever. There are, however, a few provisos:

1) The anonymity is not total and staff can still see who you are. We generally don't care and won't tell, but if you really don't want anyone at all to know about the STD you got while cheating on your girlfriend with your boyfriend, be aware that we will still be able to see that it's you.
    2) Your alt may only be used in H/A, and only in topics created by the account. If anyone on staff sees it being used in other parts of the forum, it will be banned and your main account will not be any too happy either.
    3) Do not use your alt to talk to yourself, or your main account to give it "advice" or bump its thread. This is partly because it's annoying, but mostly because it's really, really sad.
    4) Don't abuse the privilege. If you are the kind of person who likes to ask a lot of questions anonymously, get used to recycling. I don't mind seeing one or two alts per user, but if I happen to notice a lot of them being generated for the same main account I get annoyed.
    5) Be scrupulous about the rules while using your H/A alt - I will infract your main account if I see you being a jerk with it.

It's worth noting that just because you can make an alt doesn't always mean that you should. There is a school of thought that says if you can't post about whatever it is as yourself you probably shouldn't be talking about it; I don't necessarily buy into it, but as always you should still think before you post. Aside from asking yourself what you really have to hide and why it's so crucial no one know that you keep all your toenail clippings in a jar, don't forget that this is the internet, and if someone is really determined and has the tools most things can be traced back to you most of the time. If whatever it is may mean that you need to retain counsel at some point, chances are your best bet is to keep it off the internet altogether, and the less said publicly the better. Just something to think about.

ceres on

Infractions and You

Apparently some people are under the impression that there is a grey area here, so I am going to be explicit.

If you or someone you love is infracted, and you have a problem with that infraction (or would like to express your glee), you are to PM myself or the moderator who gave you the infraction, whichever is appropriate. If you don't want to talk to us, you may PM the forum admin, who I'm sure would be delighted to hear from you. This goes for any other moderator action as well.

An on-topic thread is never an appropriate place to discuss or even mention moderation or moderator action, and doing so will get you infracted 100% of the time. You are not special, your case is not exceptional, and you do not have a good reason this time, nor does it matter how long you've "been here". This is standing policy for all of the PA forums and certainly not unique to H/A. It is also completely, totally, 100% non-negotiable in perpetuity throughout the universe.

<3 ,
    The Management

edited October 2015
    Threads About Other Forumers

Don't do this. Ever. Not even with an alt. It will result in a temp ban on your main account no matter who you are, length to be determined by me according to how egregious I find the violation at the time.

Ever.

ceres on

This discussion has been closed.