As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elder Scrolls Online] Tamriel Unlimited now on XB1 and PS4

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I feel like ESO is getting short changed, public perception wise.
    yes.
    My first delve also proved to me that it works as an MMO as well. It's more chaotic and action-driven than regular genre fare, but I can see the basics of tanking and healing and damage dealing are intact, and the holy trinity will likely purr like the well-oiled well known quantity that it is.
    ESO pulls a pretty clever bit with maintaining the trinity while making everyone fill several roles to an extent. Weapon swapping and smallish party size means no one can or should just do one thing. Mage that can off heal on high damage? Yup. Melee DPS that can start focusing on debuffs on a whim? Sure.

Also healing in ESO feels like like a healbot and more as a support, which rocks. You spend as much time buffing and debuffing as you do healing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I need to play this some more and level my Dragon Knight healer, because I just love the idea of preemptive healing by tons of shields.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I need to play this some more and level my Dragon Knight healer, because I just love the idea of preemptive healing by tons of shields.

Saving lives with the power of floating balls of mud.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Just to chime in, ESO is indeed fun times...thus far anyway. I picked this up finally a few months ago, had to step away with some time constraints, but have picked it up again. I'm on PC, and it's beautiful. This is the prettiest MMO I think I've personally ever played. I restarted as a bosmer nightblade archer, as my first go as a dragonknight archer wasn't quite doing what I had originally intended. I feel like the art, style, and world design provide a nice Elder Scrolls experience, and it's so far been a joy to take my time and truly explore and speak with NPCS. In general I'm usually paralyzed with the choices I'm given in Elder Scrolls, and wind up doing too much of everything on a character and just can't get a handle on it. I appreciate choice, but wind up going with a "class" build as best I can in the end just to frame the experience better for me. I need structure, heh. Anyway, I'm role-playing my character and his choices, and that's not something I normally do in many MMOs. There have already been a few little quests with a couple of choices as to how to handle things. One of which involved burning or not burning books (Kenarthi's Roost in Aldmeri Dominion fyi), and while I'm sure the consequences are not epic in scale, was a nice touch. I'm not clicking on every single dialog option, just the ones I want, then I walk away when I feel like my guy would, not too concerned about rewards.

I also like the emotes such as: /lute, /drum, /flute. These pop out an instrument your character plays (pre-recorded, not free form); however, in listening to each, I'm fairly certain that if you synced them up you'd get a song that works well enough together, as the rhythm and melodies sound complimentary.

I plan on playing as a devoted archer/hunter character, eventual servant of Hircine, so I'll make sure to seek out the werewolf quest-line as it comes. Otherwise it's been a treat to explore the world from the context of a hunter in a new place, staying to the hills when I can. Also I have antlers, GOTY.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Also I have antlers, GOTY.

This bit right here.

Being able to put antlers on my elf (archer templar) made the game for me. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular

I want antlers. How do I get antlers? You know, for reasons...

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Be a Bosmer or wear the Nedic costume?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »

I want antlers. How do I get antlers? You know, for reasons...

Bosmer all the way! It's an adornment you can have on your head. It does, however, take the place of any facial hair...not sure why but hey! Antlers! Bosmer are rad anyway. They have to be my favorite "elf" type in all of fantasy. They're basically some sort of Celtic warrior group that will also cut you down, eat you, then make weapons out of your bones. Also they live in giant tree cities that move.

I mean, come on.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Oh. I'm a dark elf, so probably not possible.

Damn.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Dark elves are too fashion-conscious for antlers.

• Options
    Dark elves. Bah. Too much angst, not enough awesome.

:razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
  • Options

Damn.

Should just be able to buy/craft Bosmer style gear with the antlers.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Damn.

Sticking antlers on your helmet is not the same as having actual antlers of awesomeness growing from your head.

Goshdarn wannabes! :lol:

Bosmer forever.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    can someone give me permission to remove stuff from the guild bank :\ I put some things in there that while I intended them to be for public consumption, I figured that "public" also included me. Apparently, it does not.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    can someone give me permission to remove stuff from the guild bank :\ I put some things in there that while I intended them to be for public consumption, I figured that "public" also included me. Apparently, it does not.

@Lucid_Seraph I'll be home in a while and can log on and change your rank (if no one else gets there first). I try to remember to change people from recruit to member when I see them online but I suck at remembering.

What's your in-game ID?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

Damn.

Sticking antlers on your helmet is not the same as having actual antlers of awesomeness growing from your head.

Bosmer forever.

Like I know Tamriel is full of unjustified racism, but when its about hating on Bosmer I'm totally cool with it. Savages.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Damn.

Bosmer forever.

Like I know Tamriel is full of unjustified racism, but when its about hating on Bosmer I'm totally cool with it. Savages.

You're probably delicious when roasted slowly over an open fire and glazed with a nice honey sauce...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

Damn.

Bosmer forever.

You're probably delicious when roasted slowly over an open fire and glazed with a nice honey sauce...

Jokes on you, Dunmer are fire resistant.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

@Lucid_Seraph I'll be home in a while and can log on and change your rank (if no one else gets there first). I try to remember to change people from recruit to member when I see them online but I suck at remembering.

What's your in-game ID?

... wow I actually forgot o_O

It's either TealDeer or LucidSeraph.

• Options
    You should be all set.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Damnit, I want a Boomer. Also a Templar, and a DragonKnight. Altitis hits me hard in this game, and whether true or not, it feels like it takes longer to reach max level(VR16) than in most other current MMOs.

I'm doing better than I often do, sticking with one class. It helps that the Nightblade is particularly good at stealing so I hold on to the hope for Dark Brotherhood and Thief guild quests, but the special effects of the NB abilities aren't the best.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    the only reason alt-itis doesn't hit me hard in this game is that I hate repeating story and this game is almost 100% story

I am probably going to make a Dunmer DK and Argonian Sorc at some point because I love those guys, but yeah.

• Options
    My big push petered out when I hit VR1 on my main and unlocked another faction. It felt like a suitably large goal has been finished to give it a rest (ignoring grabbing daily material mail and queuing up research, though getting the remaining gaps filled is proving tricky/expensive. The game seems very unwilling to generate randomly dropped loot with certain item/perk combinations it feels like).

• Options
    something I appreciate after going back to GW2 for a bit and then briefly hopping back over here...

How when I'm just meandering around in Auridon I am not being attacked every five freaking seconds by mobs.

In GW2, it feels like I wipe out the entire population of several continents and rendered a few species extinct just by walking across a map. In ESO, you can completely avoid hostiles if you're just bumming around the countryside exploring, and when you encounter them it's in situations where it makes sense. There aren't forty billion bears and wolves randomly around -- bears live off the beaten path and only really come after you if they notice you. Sea Vipers don't randomly find me in the countryside, they exist in places where it makes sense for them to be, AND I'm not tripping over their bases every fifty seconds (looking at you, Inquest in GW2. So many Inquest bases. EVERYWHERE).

• Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    I picked this up a while back and have been playing it on-and-off for a few months. I like it, but it's hard to get into the economy without being part of a guild to buy and sell with. Is there anyone on Xbox NA still playing that can toss a guild invite to an old PAer who's dipping in and out of games? GT is deowolf.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I am consistently surprised by how well written and entertaining and fun every quest in ESO is. I log in, play it for an hour or two and get to experience top notch stories all the time. Like tonight I foiled a worm cultist plot involving bones from a boneyard... with the help of a mischievous and incessantly chattering skeleton sidekick, who seems to have been some kind of gigantic undead dragon at some point. All of which is backed up by spot on VO.

ESO fully succeeds in what TOR didn't quite manage to do for me. Making me care about story in a MMORPG. Great stuff!

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    I am consistently surprised by how well written and entertaining and fun every quest in ESO is. I log in, play it for an hour or two and get to experience top notch stories all the time. Like tonight I foiled a worm cultist plot involving bones from a boneyard... with the help of a mischievous and incessantly chattering skeleton sidekick, who seems to have been some kind of gigantic undead dragon at some point. All of which is backed up by spot on VO.

ESO fully succeeds in what TOR didn't quite manage to do for me. Making me care about story in a MMORPG. Great stuff!

My only issue is that I feel like ESO doesn't let you make character choices the way TOR did. For example, my Imperial Agent in that game was, in the game mechanics itself (not just in my fanfictions :P ) a very different person than my friend's nearly identical Imperial Agent. Same build, same race (cyborg), same class, but mine was this very stern neutral-leaning-to-light "The Empire is the only thing that keeps the galaxy from descending into total chaos blah blah I'm Lawful Neutral and also probably Javert" while my friend's was this neutral-leaning-to-dark "lol I only care about me :V and sex V: and money :V im chaotic neutral and james bond kinda V: " and they did not get along AT ALL. And the choices we'd make would carry forward into later missions or with our interactions with followers. It was the only MMO I've played where regular gameplay decisions would cause in-character but not out of character, usually) fights with my friends! One time, I got into an INTENSE IC argument with my Sith Inquisitor friend because he wanted to execute this rogue Imperial officer we captured and I was like fuck no! We need to interrogate him for the rebel coordinates! This is a valuable opportunity! STOP SOLVING EVERYTHING WITH MURDER.

That doesn't really happen in ESO. My Khajiit Nightblade doesn't seem to develop much of a personality that's consistent between missions, and decisions she makes don't really seem to extend much beyond the immediate questline. I know what she's like, but the game doesn't, if that makes sense.

HOWEVER, with that said, I enjoy ESO's gameplay FAR more than I ever enjoyed TOR's, and I think that despite the lack of choice / the game "remembering" your character, I think the writing is overall FAR more solid.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

My only issue is that I feel like ESO doesn't let you make character choices the way TOR did. For example, my Imperial Agent in that game was, in the game mechanics itself (not just in my fanfictions :P ) a very different person than my friend's nearly identical Imperial Agent. Same build, same race (cyborg), same class, but mine was this very stern neutral-leaning-to-light "The Empire is the only thing that keeps the galaxy from descending into total chaos blah blah I'm Lawful Neutral and also probably Javert" while my friend's was this neutral-leaning-to-dark "lol I only care about me :V and sex V: and money :V im chaotic neutral and james bond kinda V: " and they did not get along AT ALL. And the choices we'd make would carry forward into later missions or with our interactions with followers. It was the only MMO I've played where regular gameplay decisions would cause in-character but not out of character, usually) fights with my friends! One time, I got into an INTENSE IC argument with my Sith Inquisitor friend because he wanted to execute this rogue Imperial officer we captured and I was like fuck no! We need to interrogate him for the rebel coordinates! This is a valuable opportunity! STOP SOLVING EVERYTHING WITH MURDER.

That doesn't really happen in ESO. My Khajiit Nightblade doesn't seem to develop much of a personality that's consistent between missions, and decisions she makes don't really seem to extend much beyond the immediate questline. I know what she's like, but the game doesn't, if that makes sense.

HOWEVER, with that said, I enjoy ESO's gameplay FAR more than I ever enjoyed TOR's, and I think that despite the lack of choice / the game "remembering" your character, I think the writing is overall FAR more solid.

I think it's down to structure. TOR very much has the WoW-structure, where-in you go to a hub, collect 10 quests, and work off quests in order of proximity, making the whole thing feel more mechanical than organic, so despite TOR's richer *story telling* trappings, the storytelling itself becomes more stilted and artificial, and feels disjointed.

ESO's quests are all tied to Points of Interests. I find a point of interest, find a quest or two that go with that point of interest, and then I experience the whole story of that point of interest in one go. While on the surface level that might seem more artificial, in the moment to moment gameplay, it's way more immersive, because it's cohesive. With each location comes one story, that's the formula.

This conceit to cohesive storytelling, very narrowly connecting each location to a single quest (and maybe a sidequest or two), also creates a much more palatable pacing for the game. The questing just flows beautifully, and keeps me constantly engaged, because I actually care about what I'm doing at the moment, rather than trying to optimize my questing route, to grind out as many quest objectives in as short a time as possible.

I am honestly immensely suprised at how well ESO is working out for myself. I love it!

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    My Khajiit Nightblade doesn't seem to develop much of a personality that's consistent between missions, and decisions she makes don't really seem to extend much beyond the immediate questline. I know what she's like, but the game doesn't, if that makes sense.
    There's also a matter of scope. Many of ESO's quests are smaller, more persona affairs and it makes sense that the greater world doesn't know you helped some couple out of their troubles, or robbed a merchant.
    Also, I finished the Mage's Guild questline, the game very much knows where my Khajiiti NB leans. *pets his skillpoints*
    Yes indeed.

• Options
    I wish that it saved every book so I could read them at will and not just the lorebooks

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Finish the Mages Guild questline. Hint hint.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Finish the Mages Guild questline. Hint hint.

Dude, I was QA for this game. I have finished that questline more times than anyone else in this damn thread, because I was testing it for bugs. I am well aware. We also had very vehement discussions among the devs about whether or not it was fair to gate that behind the thing it is gated behind. People had good arguments for both sides and when I left, it was left alone mostly because nobody could agree.

• Options
    I was responding to DaMoon! :D

• Options
    Ahh, gotcha.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So with the fact that the game finally went on a good sale through humble bundle, I finally got the game. So what's the PA guild/stuff info?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Pax Arcadia, Aldemeri Dominion. Pixelated Pixie is the GM iirc, but I think anybody in the guild should be able to invite you.

• Options
    Actually I'm not the GM anymore, but I'm happy to pass an invite if you post your account name.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Shadeknife Hellah on US.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    Glad to see some people still playing. I think I'm in the guild still on PC. Anyone playing on Xbox too?

This discussion has been closed.