As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elder Scrolls Online] Tamriel Unlimited now on XB1 and PS4

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    LTM wrote: »
    There is no racial consensus building stronger than the Nord Cultural Exchange series of questlines in EP. I refuse to believe otherwise.
    Best part of this whole thing is watching nords forced to engage with other cultures or getting someone else's reaction to them. They're the noisy college frathouse or fun uncle thats a bad influence of Tamriel.

Every book and conversation you find about them from non nords or polite society seem to basically and humorously be summed up as "fucking nords, man".

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Nords are at their best when we fill them with mead and direct them in the general direction of whatever invading force threatens the land this time.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Nords are at their best when we fill them with mead and direct them in the general direction of whatever invading force threatens the land this time.
    Can imagine why the akaviri never came back.

Giant men swinging axes that are too drunk to feel anything when you hit them and biting off ears while slicing open necks with broken mead cups.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Can imagine why the akaviri never came back.

Giant men swing axes that are too drunk to feel anything when you hit them and biting off ears while slicing open necks with broken mead cups.

While constantly asking if you've seen their pants.

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote:
    AD has been more enjoyable then Ebonheart was early on so far, and I've basically made my High Elf Templar my main as a result. Grahtwood is making up for the rampant racism I had to beat the shit out of on Auridon.

That's a fair assessment I'd say. I absolutely adored the wood elves, which is probably one of the things I love best about ESO. In Oblivion and Morrowind I never came got a very positive impression of wood elves (Fargoth and the no. 1 fan being good examples of this), but ESO really did a great job of flushing out their culture and giving you a much better impression of them. I loved that I came away from wood elf sections of ESO with a much stronger respect for them.
    LTM wrote:
    There is no racial consensus building stronger than the Nord Cultural Exchange series of questlines in EP. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Oh man! Ambassador Rigurt! I love that guy! I loved the stuff he had in Orsinium too (in the Morkul clanhold near the docks if anyone's looking to do his quest in the future). Definitely worth doing if anyone's looking for a really good laugh.

• Options
    I forgot he was in Morkul, oh man. I should run my Sorc through the Orsinium questlines...

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The EP campaign really is the best though. Razum-Dar is awesome, but nothing beats a campaign that is basically everyone agreeing not to murder each other so they can murder other people instead.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Hey, what 3rd party (legal) mods do you guys use? I know there's Skyshards & the lorebooks one... anything else?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Hey, what 3rd party (legal) mods do you guys use? I know there's Skyshards & the lorebooks one... anything else?

Minimap by Fyrakin
    Azurah - Interface Enhanced by Kith
    Advanced Filters by Randactyl
    Greymind Quick Slot Bar by bsrealm
    Inventory Item Borders by Garkin
    No Accidental Stealing by Baertram
    Sous Chef by Wobin
    Srendarr - Aura, Buff, & Debuff Tracker by silentgecko
    Wykkyd Framework (and a bunch of other Wykkyd add-ons)
    Weapon Charge Alert by katkat42
    Thurisaz Guild Info by Garkin

And, of course, use the Minion tool to install, update, and manage them all nicely.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Destinations is a favorite of mine.

Shows all the points of interest on the map and all the quests, vampire/werewolf spawns, fishing spot info, Miaq locations, etc,

Theres also Harvestmap which will mark on the map where you discover harvestable items so you can check back later and see if they respawn there.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    oh my god Ma'iq locations is important because I created the dye reward for that achievement.

if I do nothing else in this game I need to get that cheevo because that's my dye, I made it.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I've met Ma'iq once in Grahtwood so far, not far from a star sign marker. I'll have to keep an eye out for him, and get some mod action going soon besides.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Lucid_Seraph

Other critical add-ons for crafters are AI Research Grid (shows you which styles / traits are known by all of your characters) and Research Assistant (which puts an icon next to every item in your inventory: grey square for fine to deconstruct, red for a trait you can research, blue circles for bonus crafting XP for deconstruction, coins for the one that sells for more, gold for you-have-a-lower-level-item-you-can-research-instead).

Also, if you're like me, you want Fix Weapon Swap Effects.

• Options
    Oh, yeah, I left Research Assistant off my list. Whoops.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well, I did it.

I found the stupidest person in Tamriel history.

ESO main story spoilers:
    Moment of silence for Mannimarco, the elf who was dumb enough to cross the daedric prince of rape, torment, torture and generally all the worst things that could be done to someone.

Yeah, thats the one you want to offer your services to and then betray on the tiny chance your ridiculous plan will work and you won't become #1 on the most horrifying shit list ever conceived.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Well, I did it.

ESO main story spoilers:
    Moment of silence for Mannimarco, the elf who was dumb enough to cross the daedric prince of rape, torment, torture and generally all the worst things that could be done to someone.

Yeah, thats the one you want to offer your services to and then betray on the tiny chance your ridiculous plan will work and you won't become #1 on the most horrifying shit list ever conceived.
    Crazily enough, he actually does OK for himself, sorta, in later centuries. He shows up again in Daggerfall and Oblivion, which suggests that he somehow manages to escape Molag Bal's wrath. Whether or not these guys are all the same Mannimarco is of some debate... thing is, you CAN let him go in that quest line, at which point he'll be like YOU'LL REGRET THAAAAT

But it's The Elder Scrolls, so I guess it's Schrodinger's Mannimarco. If you let him go, maybe the Daggerfall & Oblivion ones are him. If you didn't, maybe they just took his name. ~It is a mystery.~ Even if he does escape Molag Bal to go on to become either or both of those characters, he still royally fucked up and Bal I'm sure, well, did Bal things to him.

• Options
    Well, I did it.

ESO main story spoilers:

Crazily enough, he actually does OK for himself, sorta, in later centuries. He shows up again in Daggerfall and Oblivion, which suggests that he somehow manages to escape Molag Bal's wrath. Whether or not these guys are all the same Mannimarco is of some debate... thing is, you CAN let him go in that quest line, at which point he'll be like YOU'LL REGRET THAAAAT

But it's The Elder Scrolls, so I guess it's Schrodinger's Mannimarco. If you let him go, maybe the Daggerfall & Oblivion ones are him. If you didn't, maybe they just took his name. ~It is a mystery.~ Even if he does escape Molag Bal to go on to become either or both of those characters, he still royally fucked up and Bal I'm sure, well, did Bal things to him.
    This reminds me, I REALLY need to go back and finish the Mage's Guild questline in Oblivion.

It might be one of the only ones I never finished.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote:
    This reminds me, I REALLY need to go back and finish the Mage's Guild questline in Oblivion.

It might be one of the only ones I never finished.

In all honesty, if you have a game save from way back when sitting around then fine. But it's really not worth doing all that work for. Mannimarco in Oblivion is really REALLY underwhelming in presentation. At least in ESO his presentation as a very capable necromancer was decent.

• Options
    How does one get mods for this game?

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    How does one get mods for this game?
    http://www.esoui.com/addons.php

All of the mods suggested on this thread page can be found there.

And like Pixie, I recommend installing their add on manager called "minion". It helps manages updates and whatnot.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Another question: Does anyone have any of the DLC (Orsinium, Thieves Guild and Imperial City) and have experience with them enough to tell me what they are like? Which ones if any should I try prioritizing getting when I get higher level?

Like, as an example, the description of the Imperial City in particular makes it sound like an enticing warzone free for all with story content and other players gunning for you, but is it all that in practice?

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Another question: Does anyone have any of the DLC (Orsinium, Thieves Guild and Imperial City) and have experience with them enough to tell me what they are like? Which ones if any should I try prioritizing getting when I get higher level?

Like, as an example, the description of the Imperial City in particular makes it sound like an enticing warzone free for all with story content and other players gunning for you, but is it all that in practice?
    Was wondering that myself with being nearly done with the last main story zone.

Well, I'm planning to do Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood first no matter what (They scale apparently) but after that, my direction feels unclear.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Orsinium is the best, in terms of single player content and the zone itself. You can farm vet16 mats here, do daily quests, and it is basically the only thing that feels like fully baked "dlc content".

Imperial City is a good place to go if you like gank-based-pvp action. They are adding a lot of small scale pvp elements in dark brotherhood as well. The single player, pve content is minimal, but it is the last great place to grind exp and they have a separate currency (Tel Var) used to unlock certain gear sets, vet16 mats, and specialized items.

Thieves Guild is completely underwhelming, by most accounts. The zone itself is small (which makes it arguably better/easier/faster to farm mats than Orsinium), the quest line is pretty subpar, and a lot of the thievery is picking pockets (which is essentially just an RNG check and involves very little "skill"). The daily heists are ok, but more or less require a nightblade running Concealed Weapon with the run-speed-while-stealthed set to complete within time limits.

Unless you like PVP, I would get them in this order. If you like ganking and grinding, I would get IC first.

• Options
    Cadwell makes me wish this game had SWTOR style companions.

Just take an awesome road trip through out Tamriel as John Cleese provides commentary.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I love Thieves Guild, it is awesome. But I love being thief in Elder Scrolls, roleplaying one in ESO too, so... And the zone is wonderful, really interesting landscape. And I like the quest line, even though I put it on hiatus (whole DLC actually), because I feel that I need to level up more (only VR1).

Orsinium is apparently really well made. I will get it as soon as I get enough money and time to actually play it.

• Options
    LTM wrote:

Thieves Guild is completely underwhelming, by most accounts. The zone itself is small (which makes it arguably better/easier/faster to farm mats than Orsinium), the quest line is pretty subpar, and a lot of the thievery is picking pockets (which is essentially just an RNG check and involves very little "skill"). The daily heists are ok, but more or less require a nightblade running Concealed Weapon with the run-speed-while-stealthed set to complete within time limits.

I quite enjoyed the thieves guild. As to whether or not you'll enjoy the storyline really depends on whether your character is into being a thief though obviously. I would certainly not agree that the heists require a specific build, I actually got the achievement for perfect runs (ie, no detection, no kills, within time limit) without concealed weapon or run-speed-while-stealthed set. That being said, it does require you to really learn the maps well and plan the most efficient route you can - and even then sometimes there's a bit of luck involved depending on where heist objectives get placed in relation to the types of patrollers ( a clairvoyant heavy loadout of patrollers can really put a kink in your plans). I would agree that the zone is smaller than I would have liked though.

I definitely agree with you about Orsinium. From a world building perspective it feels like the content they should have had for the orcs in the Daggerfall Covenant storyline, rather than the really thin content we got from Betnikh. The Orsinium zone itself is quite large and spacious with a pretty decent variety environments and quests. Without getting too spoilery there was a really nice setpiece that involved mountain climbing and avalanches that I thought was a nice touch. The city of Orsinium proper has this really nice verticality to it, that I don't find with other cities in ESO.
    Corehealer wrote:
    Which ones if any should I try prioritizing getting when I get higher level?

I think it really depends on whether your character is a PVPer or a Thief. If you're a PvPer then of course imperial city is gonna take priority, likewise if you're a thief then thieves guild is gonna take priority. Otherwise, Orsinium's definitely the most entertainment for your time I'd say.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Both my characters steal things, so I guess they would both benefit from TG.

Neither of them PvP because near as I can tell there is no PvP prior to entering Cyrodiil and I attempted to do that a little bit ago in Reapers March only to find the gate closed and uninteractable. There doesn't seem to be any small competitive PvP modes like battlegrounds or ways for enemy players to enter other alliance territories but I could be wrong.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Interesting. I can honestly say that's the first positive feedback I've seen for TG. Good to see there are people enjoying it.

Also, to get to Cyrodiil, you have to go into the menus -> Campaigns and join a campaign. You can't just walk in from Reaper's, to my knowledge. From there, you have to go to the middle of the map to get to IC.

Cyrodiil itself is a learning curve, and can go from painfully frustrating to empty and boring depending on which campaign you join.

• Options
    Both my characters steal things

As they should.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    The Argonian you expect, but the High Elf Templar pure and honorable stealing your favourite pair of cotton socks? Preposterous!

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I alternate between two criminal argonians with varying degress of douchebaggery.

The nightblade who will pretty much do anything for money and the sorcerer who will do anything because he's a sociopath.

They both steal everything that isn't nailed down. If I ever make a good character, I'll probably develop an elaborate tragic kleptomaniac background to work around it so I can keep stealing.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    LTM wrote:
    Interesting. I can honestly say that's the first positive feedback I've seen for TG. Good to see there are people enjoying it.

Honestly, I think the problem with the TG is it's content that's gonna appeal to an admittedly specific playstyle. If you're the sort of player that really enjoys stealth games where avoidance and evasion are the objective rather than confrontation (ala Thief: The Dark Project) then it has alot more appeal, than if you're the sort of player that prefers a more head-on approach. There's nothing wrong with either playstyle of course, it's just a matter of personal taste. I can certainly understand why some people would absolutely hate it.

Personally I'm a long time fan of the Thief games, so it's right up my alley, plus I feel like the whole justice system adds a really nice element to the game that adds a bit more variety to the gameplay from the usual forms of questing.

• Options
    One interesting thing about Orsinium is the ending of that questline. Spoilers for those who haven't finished it yet (no peeking!)
    The whole prophecy about a new conflict between 3 of the daedric princes and Sotha Sil's lost city sounds very promising. Plus the clockwork city's looking like it could be pretty neat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEvfX1gPa_4

The clockwork city's at around 1:49 or so in the video.

• Options
    Feels good to finally have the main quest done. Played a lil bit of the Thieves Guild and enjoyed the opening quest, leaves me hopeful that there will be some decent sneaking action, something I wouldn't initially expect an MMO to pull off.

Probably going to take a break to recharge and play the Falllout 4 DLC and then jump back in and try to go back forth between TG and DB.

• Options
    My main is 13 Legerdemain, so I do a decent amount of stealing/fencing. Overall, though, I feel like just doing that in the open world is more satisfying, to a degree, than what TG offered.

I'd probably have stuck to doing the Heists if they weren't dailies, and you could re-run them without abandoning/restarting. Minor gripe, I guess, but I felt like it would take me forever to really learn and master the layouts doing one different one every day.

• Options
    LTM wrote:
    My main is 13 Legerdemain, so I do a decent amount of stealing/fencing. Overall, though, I feel like just doing that in the open world is more satisfying, to a degree, than what TG offered.

I'd probably have stuck to doing the Heists if they weren't dailies, and you could re-run them without abandoning/restarting. Minor gripe, I guess, but I felt like it would take me forever to really learn and master the layouts doing one different one every day.

That's a fair opinion I'd say. Honestly, outside of the story missions most of the theft takes place out in the open world anyway. The heist layouts aren't that bad currently. The number of maps is actually quite small, so it doesn't take quite as long as you might think. If anything, the hard part is improvising with the more random elements, like trap placement or the types of guards they choose to populate the map with.

One big criticism I'd have of them is that the detection range indicator on clairvoyant guards sometimes bugs out rendering that indicator invisible. I've also noticed on at least one of the maps that sometimes the objective locations are slow to generate, meaning you'll actually sneak past them then realize the objectives are somewhere behind you, forcing you to backtrack and lose precious completion time. They also don't make certain mechanics very clear. When I first started doing heists, I didn't realize that placing tall objects that block line of sight between you and a clairvoyant guard can actually be used to hide within their usual detection range. Your stealth still gets suppressed of course, but because the guard has no line of sight on you, you remain undetected.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    All things considered that's a pretty decent approximation. Though, the difference in architecture is perhaps a little jarring. Seems like Oblivion's buildings have a much more medieval style, whereas the ESO buildings have a decidedly Roman aesthetic.

• Options
    All things considered that's a pretty decent approximation. Though, the difference in architecture is perhaps a little jarring. Seems like Oblivion's buildings have a much more medieval style, whereas the ESO buildings have a decidedly Roman aesthetic.

Which I personally find to be an improvement a bit more in keeping with what Cyrodiil should have looked like.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote:
    Which I personally find to be an improvement a bit more in keeping with what Cyrodiil should have looked like.

That's true, I suppose it does make more sense for them to have a more roman-esque style. In any case, definitely looking forward to visiting the gold coast again. It's been ages since I played Oblivion.

This discussion has been closed.